Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2013   #21
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Bears get permission to interview Texans' Dennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Kubiak would probably just bring in Knapp who was fired by the Raiders. Don't expect anything but a Friend of Kubiak.
You might be right, but I would think almost every head coach wants coaches on his staff he's familiar with.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #22
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's not forget that it was Dennison who brought more gap schemes to the running game that worked really well. Of course since the team has struggled the past month, somebody has to be shown the door....
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #23
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 4112 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be really interested in seeing if Norv Turner would like to be OC.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
I'd be really interested in seeing if Norv Turner would like to be OC.
I'd really like to get TJ Yates' coach from UNC
Old 01-06-2013   #25
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 4112 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Whomever it is, Kubiak needs to let them call plays and become more of a strategist than a tactician.
Old 01-06-2013   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Whomever it is, Kubiak needs to let them call plays and become more of a strategist than a tactician.
I really think that's what goes on now. Gary's said that he has the final say, the right to over-rule, but it's not like he calls every play. He's involved & it has his stamp on it. But it's no different than what every other HC does.
Old 01-06-2013   #27
noxiousdog
All Pro

Quote:
I really think that's what goes on now. Gary's said that he has the final say, the right to over-rule, but it's not like he calls every play. He's involved & it has his stamp on it. But it's no different than what every other HC does.
I haven't heard one way or the other, but I question his need for the Denny's Menu if that's the case.
Old 01-06-2013   #28
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I never really thought much of Shanahan as a play caller, until I saw what they're doing in Washington & that "creativity" appears to have left us only to show up there.
That's a lot easier when your QB doesn't have one foot in concrete.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #29
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I haven't heard one way or the other, but I question his need for the Denny's Menu if that's the case.
I know for sure that during the 2010 season and at least part of last season, Dennison used to stay up in the booth. Wonder if that's where he has spent some of the time this season. Wonder if he is the "mysterious" red flag coach????

BTW, if no one has mentioned it, I believe that this past year was Dennison's last contract year. (It would also have been Knapp's also had he stayed)

Has everyone forgotten his "loyalty" statement that made you wonder if this is where he really wanted to be to begin with.

Quote:
Ive known the Broncos forever. If it is (an advantage), thats great, Ill use that to the best of my abilities. Im orange and blue all the way through. I just work in Houston now.Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison in an interview with the Denver Post on Tuesday.
link
Old 01-06-2013   #30
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Maybe they will take both Ricks! Neither will be missed my me, although I would keep Dennison over the other one any old day!!
Hmmm i think Rick Smith has done a damn good job, he made some tough calls last off season, but that allowed us to lock up the best OT, RB in the NFL. He also did do the deals for manning and Jojo. Was a smart move instead of breaking the bank for Aso.

Our drafts since he arrived has also been pretty damn solid. This team has been basically built through the 06 to now draft.
Old 01-06-2013   #31
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Well screw him if thats how he feels. I prefer coaches that want to be here, some think kubiak isnt the greatest coach and i agree. But atleast this is where the guy wants to be, same with Wade.
Old 01-06-2013   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
John Shoop, who is currently out of coaching. Here is his blog where he makes some interesting comments on ex-Tar Heels.

http://chapelboro.com/pages/14122774...contentId=9713
Old 01-06-2013   #33
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The size of that menu, coupled with how intensely Gary studies it throughout the game, gives me the impression that he's already got an idea of what play SHOULD be called...then Dennison radio's down to Kubiak the play to be called.

1.) Gary has said he (Gary) has the chance to change the call if he wants to...

2.) How many times does Gary change the call?

So it won't matter WHO is our o-coordinator, that guy is screwed because the head coach fancies himself the guy who can change the call if he wants to.

What o-coord wants THAT? What other head coach in the NFL carries that menu like that and openly says "Yeah, I can change the call if I want to."? I know several coaches carry play sheets around, but how many of them are as engaged in the process as Gary is?

The HC of the Falcons carries around a little pad of paper and he's scribbling down notes about what his team needs to work on for the next week. He's watching the game, taking notes, using that to create a list of problems to be worked on the next week. Like a head coach SHOULD be doing.

Dennison probably hopes he gets the Bears' job. But I don't think he will. Then it comes down to whether the front office wants him back, since he's in his last year of a contract here.

Pretty interesting series of events to be looking at.
Old 01-06-2013   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
What o-coord wants THAT? What other head coach in the NFL carries that menu like that and openly says "Yeah, I can change the call if I want to."? I know several coaches carry play sheets around, but how many of them are as engaged in the process as Gary is?
I think the good offensive minded ones are.

Old 01-06-2013   #35
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The HC of the Falcons carries around a little pad of paper and he's scribbling down notes about what his team needs to work on for the next week. He's watching the game, taking notes, using that to create a list of problems to be worked on the next week. Like a head coach SHOULD be doing.
That's really worked out well for them the last two seasons in the playoffs.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
First off he is a defensive coach. But sure he does:

Old 01-06-2013   #37
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got no link for this, but I think Gary calls the plays in the RZ. This should explain why the Texans settle for so many FG's. Of course with Schaubs foot problem Garys hands are kind of tied. The RZ is where Schaubs lack of mobility is most noticeable.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #38
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Kubiak touts Dennison for head-coaching job
Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2013, 8:59 PM EST

Quote:
So far, Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison has landed on the interview list of only one NFL team the Bears. His current boss thinks the time has come for someone to give Dennison a chance to run a team of his own.

I think hes been ready for awhile, Kubiak told reporters on Monday. I think Rick is a very smart guy. Hes selective. Ive been called on him for about three years in a row now, but I think Rick knows what he wants to do with his life and if hes going to take an opportunity to be a head coach, hes going to be selective in what he does. Hes got a great background in the National Football League. Hes a 10-year defensive player in the National Football League. Hes been a special teams coach in the National Football League. Hes been an offensive line coach. Hes been an offensive coordinator. Theres nothing this guy hasnt done. He would do an excellent job if he gets the opportunity.

Its a selfless move by Kubiak, who would be losing a key member of his staff.

Hes my teacher, Kubiak said of Dennison. Hes a guy that comes down here every day and puts it together with the players, teaches the plan, teaches his scheme, teaches what we do and coordinates everything with the offensive coaches and how we go about our business getting ready to play every week and then right there with me on game day calling plays and helping me out. Hes the leader of what we do offensively.
Old 01-07-2013   #39
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
That's really worked out well for them the last two seasons in the playoffs.
They look a lot better this year than any time prior.

A lot more consistent, in a positive manner. More than our team is right now.
Old 01-07-2013   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Kubiak touts Dennison for head-coaching job
Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2013, 8:59 PM EST
Classy move by Kubes.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read