Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2013   #1
AndyWin
Nguyenning

Rep Power: 2223 AndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Call me a conspiracist, but refs will NOT be in favor of us next week. NFL wants

NFL wants Brady vs. Manning

We're gonna have a hard time getting any calls if this game is close in crunchtime. On the flipside, I can see a lot of ticky tack defensive holding and PI calls on us should this be close in the 4th.

I hope I'm wrong, but let's face it... Brady vs. Manning would make for MUCH better ratings and storylines than us.
AndyWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Call me a conspiracist, but refs will NOT be in favor of us next week. NFL wants

I agree unfortunately.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #3
GlenRice
Veteran

Rep Power: 681 GlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respectedGlenRice is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Call me a conspiracist, but refs will NOT be in favor of us next week. NFL wants

Hopefully the Ravens/ colts play the broncos first and beat them.
GlenRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #4
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

the only reason the refs give 50/50 decisions to the pats is because they're playing at home.
Home teams always get the advantage of the refs no matter what sport, from NFL to AFL to Hockey to Basketball and Soccer.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #5
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
the only reason the refs give 50/50 decisions to the pats is because they're playing at home.
Home teams always get the advantage of the refs no matter what sport, from NFL to AFL to Hockey to Basketball and Soccer.
I don't know. Sometimes it seems we don't get the home cooking.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #6
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 17856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't believe the refs have any agenda to call the game in favor of NE. Please stop investing in a nonsense beliefs like that. The only reason Texans seems like they getting the short end of the sticks sometimes is their agrressive and undisciplined style of plays on defense lately. Their secondary have bad habits for not playing the ball when it's in the air and they grab and pull on nearly every snap. When a team plays Defense like that official will always favor the Offense.

Last edited by klockWork; 01-06-2013 at 01:10 AM.
klockWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #7
qqert
Veteran

Rep Power: 10591 qqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respected

this is what's called "maximizing profits."

Quote:
6. TV Ratings are more important than fans in the stadium. NFL officials, according to FBI files are quoted as saying " the NFL will continue to profit, even with empty stadiums. NFL games can even be filmed in studios to make a profit". TV is the lifeblood of any sport. Get on TV and you will survive somehow. If you are not on TV you are dead. TV Networks pay huge sums of money to the NFL for the rights to broadcast these games. Estimates of TV revenue exceed $6 Billion. Television stations make this money back plus a profit by advertising dollars.

This is why ratings are so important. Ratings = $$ because advertisers pay big money to advertise on the program. Marketing 101 tells us that television networks pay for the rights to broadcast NFL games, the NFL sells these games to Big TV as we will call them. The NFL gets paid up front. Now Big TV is in a deep whole. Big TV goes out to advertisers and sells ad spots during the game and any other NFL themed programming. Big TV promises the advertiser that X number of people will tune into the game each week and that those people will in turn by their product. Some Big TV executives even boldly predict as to the conversion rate of the people watching the games. If, for whatever reason, the resulting TV rating isn't what Big TV promised to the advertiser, Big TV has to pay the advertiser a refund.

Knowing this, do you really think Big TV wants to pay refunds? And this is a win-win situation for the league. The league wants more exciting games, Big TV wants their viewers, everyone gets paid. In a 2010 article, ProFootballTalk.com tells of a situation in which ESPN executives were giving play directions to then Titans coach Jeff Fisher and directed on how to conduct the game. Now who is really in control? You can read that article here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-jack-del-rio/
source _

as far as i'm concerned, texans are toast.
but you know i still get behind them every week, hoping we throw a wrench on GOODELS fixing plans.
Old 01-06-2013   #8
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWin View Post

We're gonna have a hard time getting any calls if this game is close in crunchtime. On the flipside, I can see a lot of ticky tack defensive holding and PI calls on us should this be close in the 4th.

I hope I'm wrong, but let's face it... Brady vs. Manning would make for MUCH better ratings and storylines than us.
Yeah and everyone thought it was bad the first time we played them (which it was) but oh lord i cant imagine. They might flag Watt just for looking at brady wrong. Plus i'm sure they will come up with all kinds of new penalties we have never heard of like refs always seem to do for Brady !
Old 01-06-2013   #9
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

If you bring it, your A game - the refs can't take it from you.
Old 01-06-2013   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Yeah and everyone thought it was bad the first time we played them (which it was) but oh lord i cant imagine. They might flag Watt just for looking at brady wrong. Plus i'm sure they will come up with all kinds of new penalties we have never heard of like refs always seem to do for Brady !
Then we bust them in the mouth & smack them around the field at least make them our ******* for a couple miserable, cold hours.

The last game in Foxborough was a set-up, Kubiak played conservative, this time around it will be another matter all together

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #11
coltfan123
Veteran

Rep Power: 2844 coltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im sure the refs take great pride in destroying texan moral
coltfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #12
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 17856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

As a Texans fan I'm embarrassed to be part of a forum where so many members are already fishing for excuses on a game that hasn't play yet. I hope the Texans players don't share y'all mindset or we will surely lose this game.
klockWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #13
AndyWin
Nguyenning

Rep Power: 2223 AndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respected

oh boo hoo, it's an internet forum... it's okay to be have hypothetical posts
AndyWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #14
qqert
Veteran

Rep Power: 10591 qqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Call me a conspiracist, but refs will NOT be in favor of us next week. NFL wants

i dunno if i was really embarrassed to ne part of a forum id just likely stop signing on and posting?
Old 01-06-2013   #15
coltfan123
Veteran

Rep Power: 2844 coltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respectedcoltfan123 is a quality contributor and well respected

kubiak can bribe the refs to throw the game, what ref dont like boobies...

coltfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Frankly, I agree with the OP and believe it is an "entertainment" industry. However, "favorites" are also favored in the first place, because they are the better team/players. The refs will make sure we don't just happen to have a good day and beat a Pats team having a bad day. They will make sure of it, unless we just flat out kick butt, and basically beat them too. I don't see it happening.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #17
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68965 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWin View Post

Unfortunately you are correct. The best recent example I can point to that everyone can acknowledge is the now infamous Tuck-Rule game. Where the NFL actually tried to convince football fans that Brady having two hands on the ball tucked to his chest, was in fact a throwing motion. The NFL went into full blown spin-control starting the day after. So yeah, the NFL will ultimately massage a game here and there to get the match-ups they think is best for their fans.

If you think this was actually a good call by the refs, then you don't know football. If you ate up the chit the NFL shoveled with their good-call-bad-rule spin, you are the perfect mindless customer in their eyes.
Old 01-06-2013   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Unfortunately you are correct. The best recent example I can point to that everyone can acknowledge is the now infamous Tuck-Rule game. Where the NFL actually tried to convince football fans that Brady having two hands on the ball tucked to his chest, was in fact a throwing motion. The NFL went into full blown spin-control starting the day after. So yeah, the NFL will ultimately massage a game here and there to get the match-ups they think is best for their fans.

If you think this was actually a good call by the refs, then you don't know football. If you ate up the chit the NFL shoveled with their good-call-bad-rule spin, you are the perfect mindless customer in their eyes.
I just watched that for the first time, and I was already convinced.

Think about the blown call that kept the old Luv Ya Blue Oilers out of the SB. Think about the disaster in Buffalo--you don't think the refs might've had something to do with that? Now, think about our 3rd string RB in Detroit this year. Detroit don't win on Thanksgiving day--that's a tradition. A lot of it is left up to the talent on the field, but those refs are having their influence, and it's dictated to them by the commissioner.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #19
Pats
Rookie

Rep Power: 694 Pats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respected

There was a list on yesterdays game showing the Texnas have been penalized more over these late season losses than when they were on the win streak.

I suppose its the Patriots fault that Houston had those penalties vs Indy. Vs Cinci too.
Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #20
Pats
Rookie

Rep Power: 694 Pats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respectedPats is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post

Nice try, but the ball was coming forward way more than the call Kubiak challenged and lost yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aM-JxUVYDM
Pats is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read