Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2013   #61
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Earl Campbell: Team Captain for Saturday's game

I'm not worried about GP. If he can live in Amarillo and not throw himself in front of a train I know the Texans won't kill him.

Having said that, dayum, GP.
Old 01-04-2013   #62
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The Sports Illustrated recent story on him is VERY inspirational. Worth a read. Made me cry. I don't like to cry but I get all sorts of sentimental about football stuff. And of course, I would fight you if you have a problem with that.

Only if it's mud wrestling TC I DVR'd the program they had on TV recently, and I'm looking to burn it to DVD, I could have watered the Sahara Desert with all the tears I shed watching it.... he's a man among men in my opinion, and definitely at the top of my list
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #63
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Geez, you people need to lighten up.

I've been put on an ignored list, SheTexan wants to spank me, Chick says I'd have had an aneurism if I were on a mb in the old Luv Ya Blue days.

Everyone's rattled to some degree. I'm just doing it my own way.

I didn't know I held that much sway in your lives here. I'll be more Luv Ya Steel Blue from now on.

Ah the lighten up I was doing this on purpose game
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Seriously? Are people so dang cranky they are complaining about EARL FREAKING CAMPBELL coming to Reliant???!!!!

I can't wrap my head around that. That's absurd even by flying off the handle standards.

I stayed out of this thread for the most part. Thought it would just be a fluff piece about Earl. Don't get me wrong, I like Earl, just wasn't looking for that.

Never did I dream there would be Texans fans saying they don't want Earl Campbell associated with the Texans.

Some people just wouldn't know greatness if it bit them in the arse.

But I love the old Oilers who embrace Houston & the Texans. It's like thumbing the nose to all those id!ots who claim the Titans as their team. Like they're taking Bud's side of the whole argument.

Old 01-04-2013   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I think its pretty damn cool. He needs to give them all a swift kick in the ass, and say "Skoal Brotha!"
Actually, who better to give the guys a, "Don't blow this opportunity" than Earl Campbell?
Old 01-04-2013   #66
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Ok, that article TC was awesome, thanks so much for posting it. Much more detailed than the TV show about his struggles and success. Got tears in my eyes again... I'd truly love to meet him one more time... got that chance at the airport when they returned from San Diego, he was such a nice man.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #67
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 67743 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not saying ya'll don't have the right to cry. Hell I'm crying too. But come Saturday, STOP BEING A B1TCH FOR JUST 3 HOURS & CHEER LOUDLY
Not Gary Kubiak
@NotGaryKubiak

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #68
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I love this move by the Texans. I have always wanted them to retire the number "34" out of respect for the greats in Houston pro sports history.

Earl Campbell, Nolan Ryan, Hakeem Olajuwon. I wonder how many other cities have HoF players that share the same number? Retire it for history. Honor the number for fans.

Do you want to know how badass Earl Campbell is to the state of Texas?

In 1981 the state legislature enshrined a new member to the short list of official state heroes of Texas. Former Houston Oiler Earl Campbell, joined Davy Crockett, Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston on this honorable list.

I applaud the Houston Texans for doing this for Earl and the fans. I wish I could afford to go to the game for this coin toss alone. Yeah, it means that much to this old Houston football fan.
Old 01-04-2013   #69
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
You just don't go there. There are few figures in Texas that cross all lines and loyalties. Don't you blaspheme in here!
I wasn't blaspheming the guy!

How can I have been doing so???

I said "It's a shame he has to be associated with this trending version of the team"!!!

Gawd almighty, isn't that pretty much saying I hold him in higher regard than the Texans' "special event coordinators" do?

LOL.

You guys are trying to muster up a red-ass situation, just like the Texans attempt to create their own sack-up moment too. Sheesh.
Old 01-04-2013   #70
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I said "It's a shame he has to be associated with this trending version of the team"!!!

Gawd almighty, isn't that pretty much saying I hold him in higher regard than the Texans' "special event coordinators" do?

LOL.

You guys are trying to muster up a red-ass situation, just like the Texans attempt to create their own sack-up moment too. Sheesh.
Sometimes, you're just weird, man.

OK, maybe most of the times, LOL.

It's a shame you have to associate with this team, blah blah blah...

Do you know how weird that sounds?!? LOL
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #71
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Earl Campbell is an untouchable. Any mention of his name that lessens his brand should be grounds for a permanent ban.

He has earned his place amongst the greatest sports legends in Texas by leaving it on the field of play. He defined Texan tough, whether it was in burnt orange or Columbia blue.
This. A MILLION TIMES THIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
It's really about time that this team really do more to connect with the history of the NFL in Houston and it's long time fans.
That's kind of what the team has been doing since the Pats game, no?
Old 01-04-2013   #72
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LOL.

Plenty of other threads and subject matter here for you to do what you do best. No red ass here, just a forearm shiver to reset a good thing during stormy weather.

Release your inner Krakken in other threads - this is the one subject that takes folks to a happy place.
Old 01-04-2013   #73
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
My email from the Texans states that Earl Campbell will be on the field as Team Captain Saturday. Get ready for a HUGE standing ovation for the greatest Oiler ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo orlando View Post
Wait, Bruce Matthews is going to be there too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
As much of an Earl fan as I will always be ... you have a point.
Even Bruce Matthews would get a good laugh from this. Earl was the greatest Oiler, and 2nd is not even close.

Quote:
Only because I don't want Earl associated with this year's version of Texans.
Just give it a rest.
Old 01-04-2013   #74
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

No, people just want to find a fellow poster to vent upon.

If the highlight of tomorrow's game is Earl being honored, fine.

It's nothing more than an attempt to out-Pagano the opponent. For motivational reasons. Otherwise it'd have been done any of the previous home games over a 10-year period. Or as a reg season opener.

It's great P.R., I "get" that. If it motivates the Texans, fine. Whatever works at this point, fine.
Old 01-05-2013   #75
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like your sig pic, GP.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #76
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Matthews is considered by many to be the best O-lineman to ever play the game. Not sure anyone would consider Campbell the best running back ever, although I am sure top five.

Taking nothing away from Earl, but Matthews is by far the greatest Oiler ever.
I have never seen anyone state Matthews as the best ever. That distinction begins and ends with Munoz.
Old 01-05-2013   #77
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
yeah, I'm a little freaked (expectations being crushed with doses of reality) on the team but hell, I'm an old Oiler fan. This is what I trained for. I think GP was an ex-Comet fan - those guys are used to titles....Friggin' period!

No sense in a dog-cussing when it doesn't go as planned. I'll take Bob Knight's really awful advice on this one and sit back and enjoy the moment on Saturday.

Well, at a time when the Texans are experiencing meltdowns in key parts of their offense and defense it's nice to see the marketing department step up and continue to produce at a high level.

Maybe they should make the VP in charge of marketing an honorary team captain today. They never let anybody down.
Old 01-05-2013   #78
gwallaia

Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish Earl would have had some more time on the field but I got teary-eyed when he waved to the crowd.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #79
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Enough.

Try doing without the personal attacks or move on, please.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #80
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
That's cool, obviously you are not the one to answer the question intelligently, so I will move on...

still makes no sense having him as a captain of a team he never played for. Can't wait to see Unitas as a captain for the Baltimore Ravens...
Can't swear he was a "captain", but he definitely felt more connected with the Ravens than the Colts after they came to town.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read