Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-05-2013   #61
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opinions on Texans draft changing?

also didnt anyone catch that quin played a lot of nickle CB and Keo was in the game a lot more.
Still think Keo is a good special teamer and back up and certainly not a starter. maybe safety but have to become more of a priority with we play more 3 safety packages
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #62
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
also didnt anyone catch that quin played a lot of nickle CB and Keo was in the game a lot more.
Still think Keo is a good special teamer and back up and certainly not a starter. maybe safety but have to become more of a priority with we play more 3 safety packages
I noticed Keo screwing up. I like Darrius Slay replacing him. I like Keo's efforts at combine but he sucks as an NFL player.
Old 01-05-2013   #63
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I noticed Keo screwing up. I like Darrius Slay replacing him. I like Keo's efforts at combine but he sucks as an NFL player.
yeah i have to agree. slay as the nickle CB or 3rd safety i would be happy with.
Old 01-05-2013   #64
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

hopefully we keep quin. more of a priority then barwin
Old 01-05-2013   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
hopefully we keep quin. more of a priority then barwin
I'm down with Quin and Barwin is playing some better IF he accepts a very low deal, I could agree and open a draft pick on my board. We just need sacks from OLBs in Wade's system. Barwin has another chance to win me over. Mitchell at NT and Brandon Harris looked much better imo. I compare Harris to KJ in his second year with Jackson getting much more time on field. If Harris has same improvement next year, I'll be mucho latte happy.
Old 01-06-2013   #66
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you guys think about going after mauluga?

The fans there seem convinced he won't be back, and I can understand why. But from our. Perspective, he certainly has more ability than the guys we have outside of Cushing. He will likely be cheap...he's still young and we wouldnt need him for coverage...instead of playing in a 43 he'd be in an attacking 34 which will probably play to his strengths more. Maybe with some good coaching and bring in a good system he could become a good starting lb for us. He is already pretty good against the run. Would be one less hole to fill via a high pick in the draft plus having him and Cush together again would be pretty cool.

Both Those guys are pretty athletic and like to get physical...I think it'd help our run defense out a lot.

Thoughts?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #67
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Yates is our best chance of replacing Schaub in 2014. None of the draft picks do much for me.
Well he might be our best chance at trying someone new, but replacing Schaub's offensive numbers is something I don't think that Yates will ever do consistently. You know my feelings on Yates, but if we don't go after anyone next season, then I do hope that Kubiak gives Yates a legit chance to compete for the job. I still think that Schaub will win it, but Schaub's play as of late has opened the can of worms that yates could "possibly" match what Schaub could do, or even do better perhaps. I think it's doubtful, but either way I'd absolutely hate to think of Yates being the guy going forward. I don't think he'd ever be an elite guy or high end passer in this league. I watched several young QB's really tear it up this year on teams without elite WR's, so that tells me that other QB's could possibly do that, but I don't think Yates has that ability. But going forward from now, he "might" have the ability to play better then Schaub. Earlier this season, I would have never made that statement.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #68
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well he might be our best chance at trying someone new, but replacing Schaub's offensive numbers is something I don't think that Yates will ever do consistently. You know my feelings on Yates, but if we don't go after anyone next season, then I do hope that Kubiak gives Yates a legit chance to compete for the job. I still think that Schaub will win it, but Schaub's play as of late has opened the can of worms that yates could "possibly" match what Schaub could do, or even do better perhaps. I think it's doubtful, but either way I'd absolutely hate to think of Yates being the guy going forward. I don't think he'd ever be an elite guy or high end passer in this league. I watched several young QB's really tear it up this year on teams without elite WR's, so that tells me that other QB's could possibly do that, but I don't think Yates has that ability. But going forward from now, he "might" have the ability to play better then Schaub. Earlier this season, I would have never made that statement.
Yates would not have to match Schaub's numbers to successfully replace him, necessarily. I don't think Matt is going anywhere before 2014.
Old 01-06-2013   #69
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
nice extension for Schaub but writing is on the wall, if there is any chance to grab a franchise QB, if Kubiak wants to keep his job along with Rick Smith? They should take him now. this is the most drastic change IMO
Yep,

And if he falls to late in the 1st rd I would take a chance on Bray. He's a top 5 talent but has footwork/needs to grow up issues. But he wouldn't be there for the Texans to pick without these issues. Then try to use Tate and a 3rd to move up in the middle of the 2nd rd and draft Hopkins. Then take the Texans 2nd and pck the best OT. Winters/Pugh would be my choice. If this were to happen the Texans wouldn't be struggling to score TD's like they are now.

S is the biggest need on defense. They need to re-sign Quin and pick a S with the 3rd supp. pick. What S do you like in the 3rd rd range? I like Duke Williams/Swearinger/Shamarko Thomas. They seem like they would be good fits on Wades defense. The reason I dont rank NT as high as you do is most teams play 60% nickle so a NT wouldn't be on the field as much as a nickle S. The defense could certainly use an upgrade over Demps/Keo.

Thoughts
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #70
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and what about Larry Warford guard from kentucky, anyone got info on him??
Great player,

Wafford is more of a fit in a power scheme like the Cowboys instead of a ZBS scheme. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #71
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Great player,

Wafford is more of a fit in a power scheme like the Cowboys instead of a ZBS scheme. IMHO
With the possible rules changes coming .... might not be a bad idea to get some power guys.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #72
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Great player,

^^^This^^^

If your looking for an OG for the Texans I'd look at:
Jonathan Cooper-OG, we won't take a 1st round OG and will be gone by our pick in the 2nd.
Dallas Thomas-OG/OT, might be available in the 2nd round but doubtful.
Gabe Jackson-OG, athletic build like an OT, 2nd round, he'll be gone by our pick in the 3rd..
Cyril Richardson-OG/OT, 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Alvin Bailey-OG, possibly available in the 3rd.
Braden Hansen-OG/C, in the 4th or 5th round, 4 yr. starter at BYU.
Blaize Foltz-OG, in the 4th-6th round.

Some OT's we might convert to an OG:
D.J. Fluker-OT, great run blocker, to slow for NFL OT.
Ricky Wagner-OT, both RT and LT but I think he could be a good LG.
Kyle Long-OT/OG, lots of potential and very athletic, 2nd or 3rd round.
Xavier Nixon-OT, athletic but inconsistent, probably a good LG or swing OT in the 3rd-5th.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #73
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Yates is our best chance of replacing Schaub in 2014. None of the draft picks do much for me.
There's more than a few quarterbacks in this upcoming draft who have more talent and potential than Yates. I will say this. They do all have question marks and Yates has time in the system which would give yates the early advantage.

So you are right in saying that Yates has the best chance at supplanting Schaub next year. If Kubiak comes to his senses and figures out that playing it safe and Starting Schaub isn't gong to cut it against the big boys he should start the process this offseason f finding a new QB.

If I were Kubiak or Smith. Whomever is in charge, I would begin looking at current backups and seeing what the value is out there. If there is none the next step would be the draft. Like you said there doesn't seem to be any safe guys in this draft so Schaub may have to suffice another year. Unless of course Yates can step up.

I would seriously consider trading our first round pick this year for a first round next year. That way when there are better prospects available we would have some good bargaining chips to maneuver up to get who we really want.
Old 01-07-2013   #74
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Still think we need to focus on defense early. Yes, we were without Cushing this year but I fully expect Brady to expose us again this weekend. We need help in the secondary.

I really like Matt Elam (S, Florida). I say let Barwin walk and re-sign Quin. Hopefully we can re-sing McCain too.

Quin can play S and some Nickel and Elam can play in those 3 Safety sets. Heavy upgrade over Demps/Keo is badly needed. I see Quin as our future FS and Elam as our future SS in that scenario. Manning has been good for us but I don't expect him to live out that contract. We need a playmaker at Safety.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #75
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans will probably focus on RT, LB, and NT/DE in the draft. We drafted Ben Jones and Brandon Brooks last year and I think one of them will take over the RG spot for good next season. We don't have anyone at tackle though. Newton is adequate but probably best suited as a backup.

Our LB corps just sucks now. Barwin, Reed, and Mercilus are okay and I'm fine with two of them as starters next year but ILB is a mess. We've been destroyed by injuries but even before that we had Cushing and no one. James should be let go or benched. Sharpton can't stay healthy. Dobbins is a backup. Ruud is a stop-gap solutions.

Cody and Antonio Smith are adequate starters but if someone better is available for either of their positions then they can be relegated to the bench or released.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #76
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
With the possible rules changes coming .... might not be a bad idea to get some power guys.
Excepting Myers, I think we have an oline that can power block, just need to change the scheme. In fact, I think Newton and Brooks would do better.
Old 01-07-2013   #77
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Still think we need to focus on defense early. Yes, we were without Cushing this year but I fully expect Brady to expose us again this weekend. We need help in the secondary.

I really like Matt Elam (S, Florida). I say let Barwin walk and re-sign Quin. Hopefully we can re-sing McCain too.

Quin can play S and some Nickel and Elam can play in those 3 Safety sets. Heavy upgrade over Demps/Keo is badly needed. I see Quin as our future FS and Elam as our future SS in that scenario. Manning has been good for us but I don't expect him to live out that contract. We need a playmaker at Safety.
I like Elam too, I now would like to see us take Elam, or Vaccaro in the first, Preferably Elam. Our third safety is on the field enough to be considered a starter. Second round we could go after Margus Hunt from SMU as insurance for Barwin.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #78
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
I like Elam too, I now would like to see us take Elam, or Vaccaro in the first, Preferably Elam. Our third safety is on the field enough to be considered a starter. Second round we could go after Margus Hunt from SMU as insurance for Barwin.
Hunt would play DE in our system. Rush LB has huge star power this year but isn't as deep as past years. I don't think we need a top guy to replace Barwin. That's why we drafted Mercilus. A guy I really like for us is Travis Long from Washington State. Could be had in the 3rd-4th round.

I would love a draft like this:
1) Matt Elam - S, Florida
2) Robert Woods - WR, USC
3) Andrew Jackson - ILB, Western Kentucky
3comp) Travis Long - OLB, Washington State
4) Kyle Long - OT, Oregon

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #79
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Hunt would play DE in our system. Rush LB has huge star power this year but isn't as deep as past years. I don't think we need a top guy to replace Barwin. That's why we drafted Mercilus. A guy I really like for us is Travis Long from Washington State. Could be had in the 3rd-4th round.

Any news on the knee injury that ended Long's season? I also had him mocked until then. He played thru a torn labrum with shoulder popping out.
Old 01-07-2013   #80
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hunt could play either spot in our system. He is very, very athletic. Do you think Elam is substantially better that Vaccarro. I flip flop on which one of those two I prefer alot. In my mock I have Vaccaro because of his size, but my other post I say Elam. It's ridiculous.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read