Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2013   #41
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Earl Campbell: Team Captain for Saturday's game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Eh - I don't think it's that difficult to understand. I know prior to his passing, Johnny Unitas considered himself much more alligned with the Baltimore Ravens than the Indianapolis Colts who he pretty much disowned after they moved.

Earl's beloved in Houston and in Texas. I'm sure he's respected in Tennessee, but not having any claim to Earl during his playing career, I'm sure he's not viewed the same way by professional football fans in Nashville as he is in Houston. There's a deep affection for Earl in this city. I'm very happy the Texans have recognized and will honor that affection.
Exactly. People will find a way to inject negativity in everything. They would probably complain about winning a superbowl by a field goal.

Old 01-04-2013   #42
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Ask Earl Campbell if he's a Titan. He'll not only tell you no, but he might give you a shoot no. Earl wants nothing to do with anything Tennessee.

And you might have to look up Titan stats to see Earl's but that really doesn't mean a whole lot. He isn't any more a Titan than Jim Hart is an Arizona Cardinal, or Johnny U is a beloved hero in Indianapolis. Hell, Jim Brown's stats are with the new Cleveland Browns. The franchise he played for is in Baltimore. Where you have to look up the stats doesn't mean jack.

Earl Campbell IS Houston football. End of story.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #43
yelocrab
Rookie

Section: 317

I hope they throw the Youtube highlight clip up on the big screen as he goes out there. I watched it just the other day with my ten year-old to show him what a beast we had in the backfield when I was his age.
yelocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #44
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelocrab View Post
I hope they throw the Youtube highlight clip up on the big screen as he goes out there. I watched it just the other day with my ten year-old to show him what a beast we had in the backfield when I was his age.
That would be a great way to introduce Earl.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #45
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Ignorance.

Earl was a HOUSTON Oiler ... never a Titan.
This is all mental head games. As far as I'm concerned, the Oilers have died and gone to History. IMO the history still belongs to Houston whether it does in actuality or not.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #46
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Seriously? Are people so dang cranky they are complaining about EARL FREAKING CAMPBELL coming to Reliant???!!!!

I can't wrap my head around that. That's absurd even by flying off the handle standards.
Only because I don't want Earl associated with this year's version of Texans.

I think it'd be better for the Texans organization to send out another former Houston player that symbolizes their trending status of late.

I started to think Tony Boselli, but it doesn't fit.

Maybe it should be that WR out of North Carolina who was on our roster for 3 days before he quit...that guy who was a self-proclaimed "Next Andre Johnson."
Old 01-04-2013   #47
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well that's too bad for Earl.

I hate to see him involved with this fecal movement called Texans "football" we're witnessing right now.

I wish he'd drill Gary in the chest. That's a bit harsh, I take that back. If I was going to say how I really feel, I'd say that. But I can't. So I won't say it.
Quote:
Amen to that.

It'll be the best part of the game, that much I can be certain of.

Question is this: Can Gary Kubiak watch Earl walk out there, or does he need a coach to watch FOR him and then signal to Gary that Earl did, indeed, make it onto the field and convert the symbolic gesture?

Anticipation builds.......
Quote:

I think it'd be better for the Texans organization to send out another former Houston player that symbolizes their trending status of late.

Maybe it should be that WR out of North Carolina who was on our roster for 3 days before he quit...that guy who was a self-proclaimed "Next Andre Johnson."

I really wish you werent a Texans "fan" or on the message board. You seem to be more moody and have more swings than a teenage girl hitting her first cycle. If you read the history of the game day threads any single bad play sends you into a meltdown and it seems that you have at least 3-4 distinct personalities. Ive also noted how often you will say "go back and look at my post and I was right" the interesting part is if you went back and read all of your posts you make damn near everyone possible prediction as you are all over the map. Interesting to see a so called "fan" be so abysmally critical
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #48
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"The trending status of late?" They lost football games. That they wanted to win. That sucks. But they didn't kill your dog. It isn't a personal affront to you. It's football. Stuff happens both wonderful and less than wonderful.

Earl lost games he wanted to win too. He never played for a 12-win NFL team. Probably best you weren't on message boards back then, or you might have had an aneurysm. "WHAT!!! 60,000+ Houstonians showing up to celebrate a losing football teams at the Astrodome? Bud Adams should run Bum Phillips out of town!!!"
Old 01-04-2013   #49
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you thinking maybe Jim Eddy and the entire secondary of the 93 Oilers team that blew the 35-3 lead to Buffalo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
But all his records belong to the Titans, ergo he belongs to the Titans...Is this just some fascination that Houston fans have?
I have never personally banned anyone (outside of spammers) however if I ever had to ban anyone it would be due to this kind of talk. That is blasphemy around these parts.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #50
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks I guess.
Old 01-04-2013   #51
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
In 78 I was just a young lad, but I remember well the Tyler Rose running like a raging bull, not through people, just ran them over. Still remember the MNF game in the dome against the Dolphins and the performance Earl put on that night, incredible.
The man was a beast. He ran with 110% effort every time he got the ball. He played for the HOUSTON Oilers.

For your viewing pleasure.
Thanks for the memories.
repped.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #52
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl Campbell is an untouchable. Any mention of his name that lessens his brand should be grounds for a permanent ban.

He has earned his place amongst the greatest sports legends in Texas by leaving it on the field of play. He defined Texan tough, whether it was in burnt orange or Columbia blue.
Old 01-04-2013   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Earl lost games he wanted to win too. He never played for a 12-win NFL team. Probably best you weren't on message boards back then, or you might have had an aneurysm. "WHAT!!! 60,000+ Houstonians showing up to celebrate a losing football teams at the Astrodome? Bud Adams should run Bum Phillips out of town!!!"
Great minds think alike. I tried that back here, TC: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...95#post2079495

Quote:
"The trending status of late?" They lost football games. That they wanted to win. That sucks. But they didn't kill your dog. It isn't a personal affront to you. It's football. Stuff happens both wonderful and less than wonderful.
Truth!

The self-centered observer -- note I didn't use the word "fan" -- sees all in terms of self...

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #54
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seriously? Are people so dang cranky they are complaining about EARL FREAKING CAMPBELL coming to Reliant???!!!!

I can't wrap my head around that. That's absurd even by flying off the handle standards.
Me either Steph! Some folks (I refuse to call some of them FANS) just can't enjoy the moment! Their loss!!

GP: DUDE!!! I've met you and appreciate your opinions, etc, but DAMN, you have been so negative lately I'm about ready to hunt you down, turn you over my old beat up knees, and blister your ass for being so hateful, cynical, and downright DEPRESSING!! Geeeezzzz my friend, being that miserable because your football team did not meet your expectations is just NOT healthy!! Besides, it ain't over til the fat lady (ME) sings, and I've got a sore throat, so I won't be singing tomorrow!! Haven't you had any FUN at all this year? I've always believed that when this game ceases to be FUN it will be time to quit!! Enjoy the ride my friend! Next year we might be back to that 2-14 thang!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #55
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Geez, you people need to lighten up.

I've been put on an ignored list, SheTexan wants to spank me, Chick says I'd have had an aneurism if I were on a mb in the old Luv Ya Blue days.

Everyone's rattled to some degree. I'm just doing it my own way.

I didn't know I held that much sway in your lives here. I'll be more Luv Ya Steel Blue from now on.
Old 01-04-2013   #56
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27501 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

The only hero I ever had other than my dad was Earl Campbell, and I'm damned near his age. He inspired me then, and still does today. This from an Aggie... ban'em all Hook'em
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #57
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I've been put on an ignored list, SheTexan wants to spank me, Chick says I'd have had an aneurism if I were on a mb in the old Luv Ya Blue days.

I didn't know I held that much sway in your lives here. I'll be more Luv Ya Steel Blue from now on.
You don't.

Though I do worry about your sense of perspective. It doesn't seem healthy to be so enraged that you are derailing happy posts about Earl Campbell.

If you wanted a reaction, you got it. I'd rather talk football versus personalities or expectations or anger or disappointment or real fandom or all sorts of darn foolishness. We have a playoff football game tomorrow. One that I'm pretty excited about watching. If it makes you feel better to * on it, well then * away. I guess people cope in their own ways.
Old 01-04-2013   #58
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its pretty damn cool. He needs to give them all a swift kick in the ass, and say "Skoal Brotha!"

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #59
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You just don't go there. There are few figures in Texas that cross all lines and loyalties. Don't you blaspheme in here!
Old 01-04-2013   #60
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
The only hero I ever had other than my dad was Earl Campbell, and I'm damned near his age. He inspired me then, and still does today. This from an Aggie... ban'em all Hook'em
The Sports Illustrated recent story on him is VERY inspirational. Worth a read. Made me cry. I don't like to cry but I get all sorts of sentimental about football stuff. And of course, I would fight you if you have a problem with that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read