Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2013   #24
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ray Lewis Retiring: “This will be my last ride”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Sorry, but the Ravens defense averaged less points per game as far as what they gave up to opposing defenses in a 16 game season.
Why didn't the Ravens defense carry that team to multiple Super Bowl championships the way the Steel Curtain did for the Steelers?

Matter of fact, why did they only make it to ONE Super Bowl?

Perhaps education and knowledge is a good thing...Look at their competition for a deeper understanding. They did not get to play St. Mary's Sisters of Charity every year...

Quote:
Why the 2000 Baltimore Ravens Defense Isn't One of the Best of All Time

the Ravens faced some horrendous quarterback play. Three of the quarterbacks they faced off against -- Akili Smith, Couch and Leaf -- are considered to be three of the top ten busts of all-time.

Outside of those three, there was Kent Graham, Jamie Martin, Doug Pederson, Spergon Wynn, Scott Mitchell, an over-the-hill Troy Aikman, a turnover-prone Jake Plummer and Jay Fielder, who had started one career game prior to the 2000 season.

The point I'm trying to make is that the Ravens defense did so well because of a slew of mediocre quarterbacks. Other than the ones listed directly above, they faced off against Mark Brunell, Vinny Testaverde, Steve McNair, Kordell Stewart and Brad Johnson. That's not saying much.

-----------------------------

Baltimore's defense faced zero All-Pro quarterbacks in the 2000 regular season. Zero.

Many teams would have been able to put up gaudy numbers on defense when playing quarterbacks of that caliber.

-----------------------------

There's no doubt that the Ravens' defense in 2000 was stupendous. The cast holds numerous records from that season, but people have to take into account the opponents they faced. Of the eleven different teams they faced in the regular season, only two made the playoffs -- the Titans and the Dolphins.

Furthermore, seven of the eleven different teams they played finished the regular season with a record of 8-8 or worse, including the Chargers, who went 1-15. The Browns finished 3-13 while the Bengals' record was 4-12. The Ravens played both of those teams twice.

I'm not taking anything away from the Ravens' defense. They had a tremendous season, but I don't agree that they're in the same company as the 1985 Chicago Bears, Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain, Lombardi's Packers and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Didn't diss the Steel Curtain.
The Steel Curtain is considered one of the top defenses of all time. Not just one man's opinion, but the perspectives of HoF players, coaches, fans, media, NFL Films, the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Heck, even RAY LEWIS is on NFL Films talking about the Steel Curtain as being the best defense he's ever seen.

But I guess YOU know more than the man you are talking about, right?

So yeah, your statement is asinine and certainly indicative of disrespect.

Quote:
The Steel Curtain is not even in the top 3 much less the best ever.

p.s.

Quote:
The only LB that is really even close to being in the discussion to Ray Lewis is LT
Pay attention to the converstation.

Mr teX said "GOAT mlb..."

I quoted it and mentioned Mike Singletary.

Lawrence Taylor played OUTSIDE linebacker (i.e. "mlb" = MIDDLE linebacker).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read