Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2013   #41
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 19109 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blame the team not the refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Skinnz View Post
Pure nonsense. It served them no purpose to win but they absolutely did not tank it. If they would have tanked the season, why keep Manning on the active roster all year? Why would they play their asses off against Houston in Indy last year? All that game did was put them in jeopardy of not getting the # 1 pick. And the last game of the year, they got the ball back and were trying to win at the end against J'ville.
Prove it's pure nonsense, you can't. No more than I can prove that it is true. Therefore the possibility exists that the Colt's did in fact tank the season on purpose.
Old 01-03-2013   #42
Grungo_Taco
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Grungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
Prove it's pure nonsense, you can't. No more than I can prove that it is true. Therefore the possibility exists that the Colt's did in fact tank the season on purpose.
I have no qualms in taking a season to get a franchise qb. kind of like the astros tanking.. to get the #1 overall pick for a few years to build up that farm system!
Grungo_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #43
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
Agreed, it can't be proven either way, but let me ask you, can you provide a realistic scenario in which someone made the conscious decision to tank the season, and then made that decision a reality? If so, who would that decision maker be, and how might he have successfully implemented it?
Old 01-04-2013   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Agreed, it can't be proven either way, but let me ask you, can you provide a realistic scenario in which someone made the conscious decision to tank the season, and then made that decision a reality? If so, who would that decision maker be, and how might he have successfully implemented it?
They fired both their GM & their HC. That tells me it wasn't a tank job. If it were, they would have been part of the plan & wouldn't have been fired for implementing said plan.

Caldwell was fired, because obviously he didn't have a clue. Their GM fired because he obviously couldn't get good talent on that team.

The Roster has been almost completely overhauled. I think there are 19 people from last year on the team.

But...... the fact remains they are a bad team. They beat us, we played worse than they did week 17. That was their cleanest game of the year, no turnovers & I think one or two penalties. We turned it over twice & committed about 80 yards of penalties.

If you look at their body of work, game management won most of their games. They are negative in point differential and turnovers.

Just like we're 12-4 because of our weak SOS (I know people don't want to believe it, but we talked about this before the season, this is the weakest SOS that Gary Kubiak has ever coached against), their 11 wins is inflated because of their SOS.

Does that mean we're not as good as our schedule? Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. We're good, a better team than the Colts, but this is not a 12 win team & you know it.

Good news, is that next years schedule will be stacked with teams under 500. Our SOS will be .468, I think this year's schedule was .484

The Colts schedule will be .457 they don't get much of a break, because the Bengals won 10 games just like the Ravens did. The Bengals will probably be a better team than the Ravens next year.
Old 01-04-2013   #45
Indy Skinnz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1276 Indy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
They fired both their GM & their HC. That tells me it wasn't a tank job. If it were, they would have been part of the plan & wouldn't have been fired for implementing said plan.

Caldwell was fired, because obviously he didn't have a clue. Their GM fired because he obviously couldn't get good talent on that team.

The Roster has been almost completely overhauled. I think there are 19 people from last year on the team.

But...... the fact remains they are a bad team. They beat us, we played worse than they did week 17. That was their cleanest game of the year, no turnovers & I think one or two penalties. We turned it over twice & committed about 80 yards of penalties.

If you look at their body of work, game management won most of their games. They are negative in point differential and turnovers.

Just like we're 12-4 because of our weak SOS (I know people don't want to believe it, but we talked about this before the season, this is the weakest SOS that Gary Kubiak has ever coached against), their 11 wins is inflated because of their SOS.

Does that mean we're not as good as our schedule? Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. We're good, a better team than the Colts, but this is not a 12 win team & you know it.

Good news, is that next years schedule will be stacked with teams under 500. Our SOS will be .468, I think this year's schedule was .484

The Colts schedule will be .457 they don't get much of a break, because the Bengals won 10 games just like the Ravens did. The Bengals will probably be a better team than the Ravens next year.
A rational message boarder is very rare so it is good to see one ocassionally. If the Colts truly tanked, why try as hard as they did to ultimately win the game against Houston in week 16 last year? That put them in a position to potentially lose the # pick. And your points are spot on. The Colts were simply awful last year but did not tank games.
Indy Skinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #46
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A rational message boarder is very rare so it is good to see one ocassionally. If the Colts truly tanked, why try as hard as they did to ultimately win the game against Houston in week 16 last year? That put them in a position to potentially lose the # pick. And your points are spot on. The Colts were simply awful last year but did not tank games.
I don't think the Colts tanked on purpose. As for the last game of the year, how could they lose, they got 6 downs to pick up 10 yards. There were so many third down stops extended by BS penalties a high school team could have driven down the field on a couple of processions.
Old 01-04-2013   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad calls that are not reviewable are still bad calls.
Do we need to settle for the status quo?
I doubt that it's the status quo to begin with.

Like I said, if I'm a congressman, I might just do something to preserve the integrity of the game. Or if somebody just put me on his/her staff, I will be more than happy to go on an investigation into the matter.

Heck, I'm sure I can get plenty of volunteers to help me from all around the country.

What happened to "may the best team win"?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #48
Indy Skinnz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1276 Indy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I don't think the Colts tanked on purpose. As for the last game of the year, how could they lose, they got 6 downs to pick up 10 yards. There were so many third down stops extended by BS penalties a high school team could have driven down the field on a couple of processions.
You responding to a post in which I credit a rational comment is the very definition of the word ironic.

One last comment - the last drive of the game, the Colts possed the ball for nearly 10 minutes. There was only one penalty that gave Indy a 1st down on that drive. Houston did not stop them on the first set of downs. The second set was the PI call. They then had 3 more sets of downs to get Indy off the field and they failed every single time. 10 minutes of possession and blame the refs? Funny. How about make a play? How about don't jump off sides. Houston has no one to blame but themselves for that loss. To think otherwise is laughable and the mind-set of a loser. The Colts had a saying under Dungy - No Excuses. No Explanations. Just get the job done. Houston failed.

See you in the Fall.
Old 01-04-2013   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You responding to a post in which I credit a rational comment is the very definition of the word ironic.

One last comment - the last drive of the game, the Colts possed the ball for nearly 10 minutes. There was only one penalty that gave Indy a 1st down on that drive. Houston did not stop them on the first set of downs. The second set was the PI call. They then had 3 more sets of downs to get Indy off the field and they failed every single time. 10 minutes of possession and blame the refs? Funny. How about make a play? How about don't jump off sides. Houston has no one to blame but themselves for that loss. To think otherwise is laughable and the mind-set of a loser. The Colts had a saying under Dungy - No Excuses. No Explanations. Just get the job done. Houston failed.

See you in the Fall.
The mindset of losers readily accept things as they are without putting up a fight of some sort.

Those who accept that sports can be tainted for whatever reason shouldn't be involved with sports to begin with. Or they should change the classification of that sport to entertainment and nothing more.
Old 01-04-2013   #50
76Texan
Hall of Fame

And Btw, that bogus PI on Jackson gave the Colts a first down instead of facing third and 14 with almost 7 minutes to go and the Texans with two time-outs left.
Old 01-04-2013   #51
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

There is not any reasons to excuse the loss.
Old 01-04-2013   #52
Indy Skinnz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
And Btw, that bogus PI on Jackson gave the Colts a first down instead of facing third and 14 with almost 7 minutes to go and the Texans with two time-outs left.
Yep. And I said as much. Even if that was a poor call, there were still were plenty of other chances to get the Colts off the field.

And I don't know what to say about your other post except wow.
Old 01-04-2013   #53
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yep. And I said as much. Even if that was a poor call, there were still were plenty of other chances to get the Colts off the field.

And I don't know what to say about your other post except wow.
You don't get it, do you?

On the Colts first drive, on third and goal, Wayne committed offensive PI on Harris, but the official called defensive PI on Harris, extending the drive.
Instead of a FG, the Colts got a TD.
The Texans stopped the Colts right there.

The Texans sacked Luck on the second drive to stop the Colts, forcing a punt.

Luck misfired on third down on the next drive, the Colts punted again.

The Colts scored a TD on the next drive to their credit.

In the second half, the Texans stopped the Colts on their first drive.

Then came the KO return with 3 blocks in the back.

Next was a 3 and out for the Colts.

Then came a TD by the Colts to their credit with the 70-yd catch and run by Hilton.

Then came the last drive where the Colts should have punted when that bogus PI came.

The Colts should have had only 17 points (plus a pending drive after that KO return - with the penalty, they would have had the ball somewhere at their 10-yd line.)
On the other hand, the Texans could have had at least 22 points up to that point (and as many as 26) with the ball in hand.

In fact with a 5 to 9 point lead, the Texans would have been running the heck out the ball in the fourth quarter.

The Colts may have a hard time to even score when the Texans play more prevent defense; that 70-yd TD pass to Hilton may never even materialize.
(There was no guarantee that the Colts can even score 17 points.)
Old 01-04-2013   #54
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

See you in the Fall.
I was reffering to last years game in the post you responded to.................
Old 01-04-2013   #55
Indy Skinnz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You don't get it, do you?

On the Colts first drive, on third and goal, Wayne committed offensive PI on Harris, but the official called defensive PI on Harris, extending the drive.
Instead of a FG, the Colts got a TD.
The Texans stopped the Colts right there.

The Texans sacked Luck on the second drive to stop the Colts, forcing a punt.

Luck misfired on third down on the next drive, the Colts punted again.

The Colts scored a TD on the next drive to their credit.

In the second half, the Texans stopped the Colts on their first drive.

Then came the KO return with 3 blocks in the back.

Next was a 3 and out for the Colts.

Then came a TD by the Colts to their credit with the 70-yd catch and run by Hilton.

Then came the last drive where the Colts should have punted when that bogus PI came.

The Colts should have had only 17 points (plus a pending drive after that KO return - with the penalty, they would have had the ball somewhere at their 10-yd line.)
On the other hand, the Texans could have had at least 22 points up to that point (and as many as 26) with the ball in hand.

In fact with a 5 to 9 point lead, the Texans would have been running the heck out the ball in the fourth quarter.

The Colts may have a hard time to even score when the Texans play more prevent defense; that 70-yd TD pass to Hilton may never even materialize.
(There was no guarantee that the Colts can even score 17 points.)
Ha Ha. That is truly some paranoid commentary.

I won't win with you. Yes the league is out to get the Texans. Yes there was a conspiracy to prevent Houston from getting a bye. All that is true.

Before I sail off into the post-season and visit you guys next fall, a word of advice. Stop it. You are only embarassing yourself with this nonsense.
Old 01-04-2013   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ha Ha. That is truly some paranoid commentary.

I won't win with you. Yes the league is out to get the Texans. Yes there was a conspiracy to prevent Houston from getting a bye. All that is true.

Before I sail off into the post-season and visit you guys next fall, a word of advice. Stop it. You are only embarassing yourself with this nonsense.
Nah, I always accept penalties as part of the game; I still call out the integrity of the game as always.

It's just a game to me.
I'm never too high or too low.
I never lose sleep over something so trivia as a game of football.
Old 01-04-2013   #57
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Since you keep using words, I have one for you.

Embarrassing is when you lose integrity and need to win a game at all cost.
Old 01-04-2013   #58
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Wow

Stay classy
Ha. Like the Ratbirds have ever been anything close to classy...This conversation doesn't concern you. Have fun with Flacco when they give him an elite qb extension...

Quote:
Well done.

So the calls that went against the Texans were game changing? Interesting.

And your tanking theory is interesting as well. Off base and clueless but interesting.
Whats not game changing about the fumble overturn? Big difference in momentum. And to say the Dolts didn't tank is about as clueless an opinion as you can get.
Old 01-05-2013   #59
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Ha. Like the Ratbirds have ever been anything close to classy...This conversation doesn't concern you. Have fun with Flacco when they give him an elite qb extension...

Whats not game changing about the fumble overturn? Big difference in momentum. And to say the Dolts didn't tank is about as clueless an opinion as you can get.
When I joined this bord they didn't tell me that you would be the one to decide which threads I could comment on....because you aren't.

Ravens are class organization- not sure why you felt the need to bring my team into it when I commented on a person's post trying to 'stay classy' but there is this deep yearning for some posters on this board to constantly refer to a non-Texans fans team as way to make themselves feel better, justify a response or make a point. Maybe all three. either way, it makesthem look small.

Flacco will get a new contract no matter what- ther is no one else available that is better and I would rank him aroun anywhere from 8-11 in a top 10. And I will be happy with him as my QB- no matter what. He's won more playoff games in the beginning of his career athan anyone else- Brady, annin, Rodgers, etc...not saying he is on par with them either.

And blaming bad calls as the reason you lost is for losers.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013   #60
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
When I joined this bord they didn't tell me that you would be the one to decide which threads I could comment on....because you aren't.

Ravens are class organization- not sure why you felt the need to bring my team into it when I commented on a person's post trying to 'stay classy' but there is this deep yearning for some posters on this board to constantly refer to a non-Texans fans team as way to make themselves feel better, justify a response or make a point. Maybe all three. either way, it makesthem look small.

Flacco will get a new contract no matter what- ther is no one else available that is better and I would rank him aroun anywhere from 8-11 in a top 10. And I will be happy with him as my QB- no matter what. He's won more playoff games in the beginning of his career athan anyone else- Brady, annin, Rodgers, etc...not saying he is on par with them either.

And blaming bad calls as the reason you lost is for losers.
I don't recall blaming only bad calls. I recall stating that even though we played like ****, there were some calls that could have changed momentum. The bad calls, especially the fumble, had a huge impact. If that play had happened in a Ratbirds game you would have lost your **** in conspiracy theory's. I love when people say that blaming the refs is for losers when they do the same thing.

So enjoy the rest of the rat birds season, as it will end soon. Hope it's a beat down, because I have a hard time seeing a stolen team succeed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read