Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2013   #161
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ: The offense is very much broken and Kubiak can’t rely on ‘the system’ he has

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'll let Vinny respond. The game we attended, we could call every single play with accuracy. I guess we were both psychic.
76 has debunked the best of them with his tv game footage review.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #162
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ: The offense is very much broken and Kubiak can’t rely on ‘the system’ he has

Quote:
Cak,

Do you remember us discussing when Vinny and I went to a game together and we both noticed that Duane Brown was giving away plays. I called into the Kubiak 610 radio show and pointed out that Brown was predictably giving away run vs pass by always taking the 2-point stance (upright) with every passing play and the hand down stance with every running play. Kubiak replied that he never noticed but would review game film. After that, the "habit" mysteriously disappeared.
Rep for making a contribution as a fan to the outcome on the field. Wish more fans who noticed things let the coaches know. They need all the help they can get right now.
Old 01-04-2013   #163
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll let Vinny respond. The game we attended, we could call every single play with accuracy. I guess we were both psychic.
Psychic

I guess that explains some things, such as looking into the future and being able to tell Reed was going to reinjure his groin. (Ouch) LOL
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #164
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
76 has debunked the best of them with his tv game footage review.
Looking forward to more 76 still shots?
Old 01-04-2013   #165
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You guys posted about this back then.

I was curious so I pulled up at least a couple of games worth of plays, looking specifically at how Brown and Winston were lining up and whether a pass or a run play ensued.

Whatever his name was (from an opponent) thought he found a key, but it wasn't true. If anything, he was mis-informed.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #166
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Rep for making a contribution as a fan to the outcome on the field. Wish more fans who noticed things let the coaches know. They need all the help they can get right now.
You mean like Schaub doesn't rool out to his left and deliver the ball accurately while on the move, or Newton struggles to seal the edge on the outside zone play?
Old 01-04-2013   #167
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Newton struggles to seal the edge on the outside zone play?
A for effort, but I think anyone whos seen the Texans recently got that one.(Uhhhh, I hope the coaches got the memo...)
Old 01-04-2013   #168
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 41240 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Man, I hope this isn't all true. If the coaching staff truly did miss Brown habits and it really did took a couple of fans to bring this to attention and get it corrected then this franchise is in real trouble. I can't imagine what else they could have miss. This is a disturbing revelation if they did miss it.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #169
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think what has happened is that we don't do enough things well and when good teams take away our strength we don't have much in the punch bowl to draw on.
Texans_Chick made a good point in her thread. Our WR catch ratio used to be much higher. There was a time when KDub, OD, Arian, & David Anderson caught everything you threw their way. There was a time when David Anderson was Schaub's favorite target on third downs. People covered Andre & OD.... Anderson caught everything thrown his way.

Heck, last year anytime Matt threw the ball, most of us thought it was most likely a catch, unless it went to one guy in particular. One guy out of 6-9 receiving options isn't bad especially when that one guy wasn't always on the field.

Now we've got three guys that it's 50/50 at best & the three of our big 4 aren't as reliable as they used to be (I think Andre has only dropped one, but KDub, OD, & Arian have really dropped off).

So, to go with your post. In the past, if we got off schedule, we could make up for it with regularity because of our receivers. Now... not so much.
Old 01-04-2013   #170
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cak,

Do you remember us discussing when Vinny and I went to a game together and we both noticed that Duane Brown was giving away plays. I called into the Kubiak 610 radio show and pointed out that Brown was predictably giving away run vs pass by always taking the 2-point stance (upright) with every passing play and the hand down stance with every running play. Kubiak replied that he never noticed but would review game film. After that, the "habit" mysteriously disappeared.
I remember there was a stretch of games (when we got punk'd by the NFC East) that every time we motioned the TE to the LOS, it was a run to that side. Every time we motioned the TE split..... it was a pass play.

The NFC East shut down our running game & I believe that was why. Never got any confirmation. But every time the TE went into motion, I knew whether it was run or pass & if a run, I knew which way it was going.
Old 01-04-2013   #171
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Psychic

I guess that explains some things, such as looking into the future and being able to tell Reed was going to reinjure his groin. (Ouch) LOL
Again..... I don't know if reinjure is the word. He had a set back. He practiced that week as if he was going to play. They decided not to put him in on game day.

He will play this week.
Old 01-04-2013   #172
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Again..... I don't know if reinjure is the word. He had a set back. He practiced that week as if he was going to play. They decided not to put him in on game day.

He will play this week.
He re injured his groin in a game.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #173
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Nevermind, sometimes I think Fiddler/Thunderkiss just likes to be argumentative.

I mean if he will argue Reed wasn't brought back early and reinjured his groin, he will never admit Schaub isn't 100%. Even though there's medical evidence to suggest otherwise. Not to mention that just about every player playing in the playoffs is playing with some sort of injury.

No, sure see Schaubs fully healthy, see how easy that was to end that discussion. Later in a few yrs we will found out the true facts.

Oh and Mario is the greatest despite the fact that he racked up his 10+ sacks against the vaunted OL's
Cleve- 1.5
Arz- 2
Hou-1
Mia- 1
Indy- 3
Stl-1
Jac-1

Despite being moved around to face the worst pass blocking OT/TE on each team. This is another case of putting up numbers against the dregs of the NFL and not producing against the elite teams. Another example of how numbers lie.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 01-04-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-04-2013   #174
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Again, we don't "know" that he re-injured it. I don't remember seeing him go down like he did when he injured it the first time.

Chances are he felt it tightening up on him & before it actually "reinjured" he told someone he felt it tightening up on him or something. & they pulled him to prevent him from reinjuring it.

He was practicing all week, expected to play last Sunday. Before the game they decided against it. He will play tomorrow.

This isn't like when Arian pulled a hammy, got in a game, pulled it again & had to sit out a couple more weeks.

Or when Andre did the same last year.
Old 01-04-2013   #175
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cak,

if this is true, this in itself is a problem...how could you not notice things like this as a coaching staff?...especially when you're struggling as bad as we are...Everything has to be examined down to the smallest detail when you're in a rut like we've been.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #176
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans_Chick made a good point in her thread. Our WR catch ratio used to be much higher. There was a time when KDub, OD, Arian, & David Anderson caught everything you threw their way. There was a time when David Anderson was Schaub's favorite target on third downs. People covered Andre & OD.... Anderson caught everything thrown his way.

Heck, last year anytime Matt threw the ball, most of us thought it was most likely a catch, unless it went to one guy in particular. One guy out of 6-9 receiving options isn't bad especially when that one guy wasn't always on the field.

Now we've got three guys that it's 50/50 at best & the three of our big 4 aren't as reliable as they used to be (I think Andre has only dropped one, but KDub, OD, & Arian have really dropped off).
According to LLC Stats Inc. (Elias Sports Bureau), AJ had 6 drops, O.D. and Foster follow with 5 apiece, and KMart had 4.

(I'm kinda disappointed about KMart's drops.)
Old 01-04-2013   #177
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again, we don't "know" that he re-injured it. I don't remember seeing him go down like he did when he injured it the first time.
I think regardless of what word you want to use, the fact is he wasn't fully ready for action when he initially returned which was the main point.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #178
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
That was really good and perfectly echoes my thoughts. Since the Detroit game, I have felt we needed to start running more no huddle, make quicker passes, and better utilize the strengths of our team. Our offense line is struggling, so why in the hell are we running plays that take an eternity to setup?!? We are asking for Schaub to get killed.

We need to switch things up. Everyone knows we want to run the ball and control the clock. We have gotten far too predictable. Once our defense started regressing, the offense had to pick it up. They never have and here we are playing our worst football of the season.
The bolded is what I've been telling all the folks on campus that come to me asking "what's happened to the Texans!?" I'd really LOVE for them to come out in no huddle and minimize the Bengals chance to substitute and keep their rushers fresh.
Old 01-04-2013   #179
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
if this is true, this in itself is a problem...how could you not notice things like this as a coaching staff?...especially when you're struggling as bad as we are...Everything has to be examined down to the smallest detail when you're in a rut like we've been.
I've already explained that this is not true.

(Pulling up the archive, you can see that Vinny, CNND, and others talked about this, with reference to Quentin Groves - a Jags player - in 2009 who was quoted as he saw D. Brown telegraphing play.)

I just went back to that game in Dec, week 13.

The first 3 play, Brown was in a 2-pt stance, the Texans went with the pass 3 times.
The next 2 plays, Brown was in a 3-pt stance, the Texans also went with the pass both times.

Groves was just shooting his mouth off.
Old 01-04-2013   #180
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He will play this week.

Quote:

Quote:
Chances are he felt it tightening up on him & before it actually "reinjured" he told someone he felt it tightening up on him or something. & they pulled him to prevent him from reinjuring it.
He was practicing all week, expected to play last Sunday. Before the game they decided against it. He will play tomorrow.
This isn't like when Arian pulled a hammy, got in a game, pulled it again & had to sit out a couple more weeks.
Or when Andre did the same last year.
Fiddler, if you were my surgical resident, I would be seriously suggesting that you consider going back to medical school. After his multi-week absence, Reed never once participated in a FULL practice before being thrown out there in the game again. He then was smartly not activated last game. Since his initial “return” he has not participated in a FULL practice (contact OR non-contact) to date. A “tightening” of a muscle group is basically like having a short-lasting mild cramp. At best, it benefits by a short rest and gentle stretching. MAYBE if you want to return, you place a light spandex-like compression garment over the area mostly to keep it warm. It does not require extensive wrapping. When you see a player come off the field, and a massive tight full-thigh 6 inch Ace wrap is applied, and he remains on the bench, that wrap is on there because muscle has torn and you are trying to minimize any bleeding into the tissues as well as trying to control any resultant swelling. As I’ve said before, and specifically with Reed after this severe adductor muscle groin tear (which is a much more potentially chronic hard-to-heal muscle injury than even a hamstring), practice (even “contact”) does not in any way, shape or form simulate real-time game stresses. He shouldn’t have been allowed to play in the last game he participated in. And if this were simply a “tightening”, he would have participated in the last Colts game. In lieu of still no full practice participation this week, when it’s all said and done, whatever the actual game outcome concerning his groin, if he is allowed to play this week, it will serve to put him at a significant risk for further re-injury.......and could very well be a last desperation move on the part of both him and the Texans, each fearing that this game could be the Texans’ last.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read