Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2013   #21
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Earl Campbell: Team Captain for Saturday's game

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
My email from the Texans states that Earl Campbell will be on the field as Team Captain Saturday. Get ready for a HUGE standing ovation for the greatest Oiler ever.
I can't put it any better than that!

As for a slumping team "doing this to him" I sincerely doubt Earl feels anything less than honored by this gesture. The man has always been one of the positive figures out there.

I imagine he is very honored and touched by what the Texans have bestowed on him.
Old 01-03-2013   #22
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 10390 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
While I'm for anything Earl gets , it does seem like Bob pulled out the Drayton playbook .
I don't get the criticism here. It's not like McNair is exploiting Earl's good name for a pre season game, or something. This is a good chance for Houston to pay tribute to a legend and tap into some positive energy for a playoff game.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #23
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Earl can't help them once the game starts, they are on their own then.
Amen to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
I don't get the criticism here. It's not like McNair is exploiting Earl's good name for a pre season game, or something. This is a good chance for Houston to pay tribute to a legend and tap into some positive energy for a playoff game.
It'll be the best part of the game, that much I can be certain of.

Question is this: Can Gary Kubiak watch Earl walk out there, or does he need a coach to watch FOR him and then signal to Gary that Earl did, indeed, make it onto the field and convert the symbolic gesture?

Anticipation builds.......
Old 01-03-2013   #24
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 56442 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well that's too bad for Earl.

I hate to see him involved with this fecal movement called Texans "football" we're witnessing right now.

I wish he'd drill Gary in the chest. That's a bit harsh, I take that back. If I was going to say how I really feel, I'd say that. But I can't. So I won't say it.
Quote:
Amen to that.

It'll be the best part of the game, that much I can be certain of.

Question is this: Can Gary Kubiak watch Earl walk out there, or does he need a coach to watch FOR him and then signal to Gary that Earl did, indeed, make it onto the field and convert the symbolic gesture?

Anticipation builds.......
Wow! Never had to block someone before but gonna have to pull the trigger on this guy. He's an absolute douche.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Wow! Never had to block someone before but gonna have to pull the trigger on this guy. He's an absolute douche.
I'm flattered. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2013   #26
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

A thread to get you hyped
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...light=Campbell
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
yeah, I'm a little freaked (expectations being crushed with doses of reality) on the team but hell, I'm an old Oiler fan. This is what I trained for. I think GP was an ex-Comet fan - those guys are used to titles....Friggin' period!

No sense in a dog-cussing when it doesn't go as planned. I'll take Bob Knight's really awful advice on this one and sit back and enjoy the moment on Saturday.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #28
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
yeah, I'm a little freaked (expectations being crushed with doses of reality) on the team but hell, I'm an old Oiler fan. This is what I trained for.
This.

I'm used to being a Houston sports fan and have learned to live with it. It could always be worse.

I can't see how they are exploiting Earl in all of this. It's the first play-off game, IN Houston, in an extremely long time. I can see why they would want to honor a Houston football legend. It may be the only thing we have a smile on our faces for over the next 60 minutes.
Old 01-03-2013   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I'm for anything Earl gets , it does seem like Bob pulled out the Drayton playbook .
Yes, that appears to be the case. All show, very little accountability.

Love Earl,

Greatest RB I've ever seen and yes there will be a tear in my eye when I see him on the field Saturday.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #30
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well that's too bad for Earl.

I hate to see him involved with this fecal movement called Texans "football" we're witnessing right now.

I wish he'd drill Gary in the chest. That's a bit harsh, I take that back. If I was going to say how I really feel, I'd say that. But I can't. So I won't say it.
WTH?

Really, I guess you should to go to Costco to buy a new coach, along with some perspective and common decency.

It is totally possible in this world to talk football in a rational, logical way without saying repugnant, overly-personal things about other human beings, especially someone whose goal is the same as yours and is working a lot harder than you are to try to make it happen. Adulthood. I know "fan" comes from the word "fanatic," but geez, we can't celebrate one of Houston's sports heroes being cheered once again by the fans who love him without someone wishing the head coach physical harm?

Kubiak has won more games this year than any Bum Phillips Oilers team ever did. I guess you would have wanted Bum stabbed in the heart with a trident or something.
Old 01-03-2013   #31
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you are saying you are exploiting Earl for your TT username?

Why do we have to overthink everything? Why can't a lovely gesture that would make everybody happy just be that?

Earl is Houston Football. Houston loves him more than anyone. I cried when Bum came out on the field last year before last year's Bengals game, and I'll likely cry on Saturday.

McNair has honored Oilers in the past. I went to the Luv Ya Blue reunion years ago that McNair hosted, and it is one of my favorite memories. I met Bethea, Pastorini, Culp, Dr. Doom, Bum, bunches of folks in the way back machine. And they appreciated that McNair wanted them a part of the Texans, even if they weren't officially part of our HoF history, because Houston has their memories. They are our history.

(Robert Brazile looked like he could still play. Big dude for a LB, especially for his era. Ahead of his time).
Old 01-04-2013   #32
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok I am quite sure I am going to get flamed on this by why is Earl Campbell going to be a captain for a team he never played for?

As much as folks like to think, Earl Campbell is not apart of the Houston Texans, he is a, and I hate to even type this, Oiler/Titan. Everything that is Earl Campbell belongs to the Titans, so why are the Texans doing this?

If it is to throw a big middle finger at Bud Adams, then by all mean, but if it is to inspire or motivate the Texans in some way, I don't see the logic using a player that has never put on your uniform....

It would almost be like the Baltimore Ravens having Johnny Unitas as a captain because Unitas played in Baltimore, even though Unitas belongs to Indy. Just doesn't make sense...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #33
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Ok I am quite sure I am going to get flamed on this by why is Earl Campbell going to be a captain for a team he never played for?

As much as folks like to think, Earl Campbell is not apart of the Houston Texans, he a, and I hate to even type this, Oiler/Titan. Everything that is Earl Campbell belongs to the Titans, so why are the Texans doing this?

If it is to throw a big middle finger at Bud Adams, then by all mean, but if it is to inspire or motivate the Texans in some way, I don't see the logic using a player that has never put on your uniform....
They do honorary team captains for every game. Sometimes GHW Bush, sometimes celebs, sometimes former players. The logic is that hey cool, most people like cool stuff, aren't grumpy curmudgeons.

And no, Earl Campbell doesn't belong to the Titans. The NFL might say that for HoF purposes. But Earl played in Houston. We love him, he loves us. That's the real history.

So, no big deal, but big deal because EARL!!!!!!! Has nothing to do with Bud.

I'm not flaming you, but this is just basic history. And respect.
Old 01-04-2013   #34
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
They do honorary team captains for every game. Sometimes GHW Bush, sometimes celebs, sometimes former players. The logic is that hey cool, most people like cool stuff, aren't grumpy curmudgeons.

And no, Earl Campbell doesn't belong to the Titans. The NFL might say that for HoF purposes. But Earl played in Houston. We love him, he loves us. That's the real history.

So, no big deal, but big deal because EARL!!!!!!! Has nothing to do with Bud.

I'm not flaming you, but this is just basic history. And respect.
But all his records belong to the Titans, ergo he belongs to the Titans...Is this just some fascination that Houston fans have?

Never was an Oiler fan, lived too far north to catch any of the Oilers games, unless they were giving up a 35-3 lead on NBC,(sorry, had to get that one in!) so I never understood the logic behind this. Yes he played for the city, but the team left, and took all his records with it...right?

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Crapatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #35
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
But all his records belong to the Titans, ergo he belongs to the Titans...Is this just some fascination that Houston fans have?

Never was an Oiler fan, lived too far north to catch any of the Oilers games, unless they were giving up a 35-3 lead on NBC, so I never understood the logic behind this. Yes he played for the city, but the team left, and took all his records with it...right?
OK, most people who are not infants, and lived in Houston love Earl Campbell. Ergo Honorary Captain. And rightfully so.

Go on YouTube. Type in Earl Campbell highlights. Marvel at stuff that people aren't supposed to do.

And then chill, friend. Houston, Texas: home of the Texans. And Earl.
Old 01-04-2013   #36
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl never played for the Titans. Earl was and still is a beloved person in this area, heck across all of Texas and probably most of the country. He played for Bum. Bum's son is a coach for the Texans. Earl was a Skoal Brother, but most of all a Texan.
Great move, can't hurt that's for sure.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #37
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Seriously? Are people so dang cranky they are complaining about EARL FREAKING CAMPBELL coming to Reliant???!!!!

I can't wrap my head around that. That's absurd even by flying off the handle standards.
Old 01-04-2013   #38
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Never was an Oiler fan, lived too far north to catch any of the Oilers games, unless they were giving up a 35-3 lead on NBC, so I never understood the logic behind this. Yes he played for the city, but the team left, and took all his records with it...right?
Look buddy, I don't play by Bud's rules.

Earl Campbell never played a down in Tennessee, he played in Houston. To act like we don't own our own history and memories is absurd. Personally I find it absurd for a Titan fan to honor him or OUR history in anyway unless he/she was one of the 0.00001% that were already Oiler fans.

The minute they went to Possum Holler is the moment their history began.

Never was an Oiler fan?? Then why comment on something you clearly, and by your own admission cannot understand?
Old 01-04-2013   #39
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Never was an Oiler fan, lived too far north to catch any of the Oilers games, unless they were giving up a 35-3 lead on NBC,(sorry, had to get that one in!) so I never understood the logic behind this. Yes he played for the city, but the team left, and took all his records with it...right?
Eh - I don't think it's that difficult to understand. I know prior to his passing, Johnny Unitas considered himself much more alligned with the Baltimore Ravens than the Indianapolis Colts who he pretty much disowned after they moved.

Earl's beloved in Houston and in Texas. I'm sure he's respected in Tennessee, but not having any claim to Earl during his playing career, I'm sure he's not viewed the same way by professional football fans in Nashville as he is in Houston. There's a deep affection for Earl in this city. I'm very happy the Texans have recognized and will honor that affection.
Old 01-04-2013   #40
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

In 78 I was just a young lad, but I remember well the Tyler Rose running like a raging bull, not through people, just ran them over. Still remember the MNF game in the dome against the Dolphins and the performance Earl put on that night, incredible.
The man was a beast. He ran with 110% effort every time he got the ball. He played for the HOUSTON Oilers.

For your viewing pleasure.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read