Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2013   #1
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default split back formation?

i know a lot of people have been criticizing the play calling of kubs and the offensive line and the lack of the running game.

to throw some things in the mix, what do you guys think if the texans ran a split running back formation in which both foster and tate were in the backfield? using this, we can utilize both running backs. also, the backs can swing to either side and be used as receivers. having both backs also gives an option for more pass protection.

i know we use the single back formation and that makes the play action more effective but having more plays in the playbook, especially when our offense becomes more predictable, would be a great asset in my opinion.

of course i wouldn't run something like this at this time of year.
legacy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #2
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: split back formation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
i know a lot of people have been criticizing the play calling of kubs and the offensive line and the lack of the running game.

to throw some things in the mix, what do you guys think if the texans ran a split running back formation in which both foster and tate were in the backfield? using this, we can utilize both running backs. also, the backs can swing to either side and be used as receivers. having both backs also gives an option for more pass protection.

i know we use the single back formation and that makes the play action more effective but having more plays in the playbook, especially when our offense becomes more predictable, would be a great asset in my opinion.

of course i wouldn't run something like this at this time of year.
To be honest I wondered why we never tried running the wild cat a bit with Casey, Foster and Tate...that would be deadly IMO

Other then that, I don't think Schaub has the moxy to do anything like this or even manage a split back formation....
Old 01-03-2013   #3
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem with a foster/tate backfield is casey is a far better blocker and receiver then tate. Are you willing to take him out on a pass play when our ol sucks?

I'd actually like to see it to under the right circumstances because it puts one of our more explosive players on the field (taterr.)

However, in a split back set the backs are way closer to the line of scrimmage. You might of noticed foster lines up DEEP. This seems to be intentional as it gives the back more time to wait on blocks and pick the cut. I dont know if thats accurate or just an assumption on my part, but the last time I saw a back line up as deep as foster it was jamal lewis.
Old 01-03-2013   #4
legacy_gt
All Pro

Rep Power: 7091 legacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respectedlegacy_gt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
The problem with a foster/tate backfield is casey is a far better blocker and receiver then tate. Are you willing to take him out on a pass play when our ol sucks?

I'd actually like to see it to under the right circumstances because it puts one of our more explosive players on the field (taterr.)

However, in a split back set the backs are way closer to the line of scrimmage. You might of noticed foster lines up DEEP. This seems to be intentional as it gives the back more time to wait on blocks and pick the cut. I dont know if thats accurate or just an assumption on my part, but the last time I saw a back line up as deep as foster it was jamal lewis.
there are worst offensive lines than ours. a sweep to either right or left with the open running back blocking would be a cool play too.

even with our off line, a screen to either right or left would also be good. in the grand scheme of things, i think a double back adds more diversity and a diff look to our texans...especially when we have very good backs in tate and foster.

wildcat imo needs to have at least the Fb or rb being able to throw.
Old 01-03-2013   #5
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i think a double back adds more diversity and a diff look to our texans...
What we're doing right now isn't working and i'm more then agreeable to some diversity. I just wonder if theres another kubiak philosophy in this he will stubbornly refuse to bend.

With casey we should have mixed in a few wildcat attempts by now. I guess "kubes" is scarred by the Chris Brown toss.
Old 01-03-2013   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

It's the classic WCO formation but you rarely see it deployed anymore. I think Foster could be outstanding out of the split back, but not sure if Tate is a good fit.
Old 01-03-2013   #7
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
there are worst offensive lines than ours. a sweep to either right or left with the open running back blocking would be a cool play too.

even with our off line, a screen to either right or left would also be good. in the grand scheme of things, i think a double back adds more diversity and a diff look to our texans...especially when we have very good backs in tate and foster.

wildcat imo needs to have at least the Fb or rb being able to throw.
Casey can throw, was probably going to be the QB for Rice if he didn't enter the draft, at least he said that in an interview I heard.

I'd love to see Foster and Tate on the field together, at least to show something different.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2013   #8
legacy_gt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It's the classic WCO formation but you rarely see it deployed anymore. I think Foster could be outstanding out of the split back, but not sure if Tate is a good fit.
we've seen some really stagnant play calling as of late. split back formation would really throw something else in the mix for both running and throwing. it's a proven formation and still used.
Old 01-03-2013   #9
legacy_gt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Casey can throw, was probably going to be the QB for Rice if he didn't enter the draft, at least he said that in an interview I heard.

I'd love to see Foster and Tate on the field together, at least to show something different.
i didn't know casey could throw. would be cool to also do some flea flicker plays as well.
Old 01-03-2013   #10
pissknocker
Veteran

Rep Power: 968 pissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respectedpissknocker is a quality contributor and well respected

Thor throwing a bomb in pregame warmups last Sunday

http://twitter.yfrog.com/136rrkphsrmhrarpayekquviz
pissknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Tate isn't a good blocker. If you are not carrying the ball and you aren't the QB, you better be able to block in a split back (at least once you leave boola-boola ball).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #12
legacy_gt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissknocker View Post
Thor throwing a bomb in pregame warmups last Sunday

http://twitter.yfrog.com/136rrkphsrmhrarpayekquviz
whoa, flea flicker, wildcat, kubiak should have used casey more.
Old 01-03-2013   #13
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Where have the screens gone? I've only seen a handful the last several weeks. Call a screen or two get the DL out of the backfield for crap sake!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2013   #14
legacy_gt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Where have the screens gone? I've only seen a handful the last several weeks. Call a screen or two get the DL out of the backfield for crap sake!!!!!!
kubiak is saving it for some playoff runs.
Old 01-03-2013   #15
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
kubiak is saving it for some playoff runs.
You mean along with the top secret "false start" plays designed to keep defenses over confident?
Old 01-03-2013   #16
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

to answer the OP question, it will never happen because Gary Kubiak is not creative with his play calling, or at least creative enough...

Kubiak has a "by the book" old coaching mentality that has very little room for creativity...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #17
legacy_gt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
to answer the OP question, it will never happen because Gary Kubiak is not creative with his play calling, or at least creative enough...

Kubiak has a "by the book" old coaching mentality that has very little room for creativity...
at this stage in the game, you wouldn't want anything like this to be played. but formations like the split back, wildcat with casey, flea flickers, and more reverse plays would be nice. i personally feel that the overall problem with kubs is his adjustments (or lacktherof).
Old 01-04-2013   #18
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Last time we went "off script" was that Chris Brown halfback pass.
Umm.... no more of that thank you.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106584 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
2 day ban for the OP.
1 day ban for you bringing that up.
Just when I had forgotten about it.
"/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #20
legacy_gt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
the point is to make something like a split back formation "on script," something that would be used always in their playbook. texans try and make the formation the same looking and to fool other teams.

i'm getting sick of teams stacking the box and stopping our run, which shuts down our play action and makes schaub try to beat the other team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read