Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-02-2013   #21
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ray Lewis Retiring: “This will be my last ride”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Good point. I've never looked that up. I'll see if I can find the stats for that, as I'd like to compare the Bears, Bucs, Steelers and the Ravens. My first guess is that the Ravens or the Bucs had the most. But that's a valid point.

I think the Ravens had the worst offense out of all of those teams though. The Steelers had by far the best players on offense to help the entire team out though.
How in depth are we willing to get here? At some point you have to consider the strength of competition for each team as well.

Stats i've found on espn for 2000 ravens include:

23 ints/26 fumbles recovered for a total of 49 turnovers (holy crap)...however i dunno if that includes special teams fum rec or not.
1 defensive td.

Finding 76 steelers defensive stats from a credible source looks a little harder to find...still looking.
Old 01-02-2013   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Didn't diss the Steel Curtain. They were great, but they had a few HOF's on offense as well. The Ravens didn't have squat. They had a garbage QB, a decent rookie RB who barely posted a 1,000 yards, and total garbage at WR. The only good offensive player they had really was Ogden on the O line. The Steelers however had a HOF QB which the most important position on the field who had already led his team to 4 SB's, a HOF WR, and a HOF RB.
They won those 4 SB's because of the D. The fact is without the 4 SB's Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth and Harris are all edge players to make the HOF. There has long been controversy too many of them made the HoF based on the team results. The Ravens didn't have squat? - Jamal Lewis posted 1364 yds with Priest Holmes adding 588 yds. Plus they added over 500 yds receiving. Shannon Sharpe was hardly nothing as an O player nor was Ismail. Yes Banks and Dilfer were game managers but then again I don't think much of Bradshaw.

Having said that, this is all so subjective it is almost useless. Team sport and all. Defense doesn't work alone.
Old 01-02-2013   #23
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, like powda i have no horse in this race but what i'll say is that when people compare defenses, they always compare them to the 85 bears...64 sacks, 34 ints, 4 defensive TD's...they also only gave up like 7 pts in the entire playoffs...thats unheard of...they just simply wreaked havoc unlike any other defense the league had ever seen then and imo, since. The only knock is that they did it only that 1 year...but considering how dominant they were, u couldnt expect a repeat performance.

The only reason i discount those steelers teams is b/c they were just so stacked everywhere, and midway thru their run in the 70's their identity kind of changed from defense to offense...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #24
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a little partial to the Steel Curtain since, as a Cowboy fan, I had to watch them as a kid in the late 70s beat up my team. They were stacked. Heck, Doomsday was the same way, they just won't have the stats. I'm also a little partial because I think the talent pool back then was much better, especially in the playoffs when you had to play the best of the best. The last 2 decades have been watered down with the number of teams making it and the quality of players on offenses. The 85 Bears, when watching games, still impressed me more than the Ravens.

My Top 3 are Steelers and then Bears and 3rd is Ravens
Old 01-03-2013   #25
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Ravens gave up 165 pts all season long.

In the playoffs, they gave up 1 TD, 3 FG's= total

in th SB, the Giants only score came on a KO return- the D pitched a shutout.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #26
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel dumb saying this...and I know theyre not in the same category as any other team mentioned but Buddy Ryan's oiler defense was the funnest to watch.

I'm to young to remember the 85 bears or anyone before them.
Old 01-03-2013   #27
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I feel dumb saying this...and I know theyre not in the same category as any other team mentioned but Buddy Ryan's oiler defense was the funnest to watch.

I'm to young to remember the 85 bears or anyone before them.
Will never forget Buddy throwing Gilbride under the bus and calling the offense "chuck n duck" - he was right too. Chiefs had a great defensive gameplan to limit the passing game and we choked, per usual under Pardee. God was Michael Barrow, Bishop/Dishman/Robertson, Ray Childress et al a bunch of animals. Some truly great players and that defense hit HARD.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #28
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119538 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always thought of the '85 Bears defense to Mike Tyson.

Came on the scene quickly, scared the begabbers out their opponent, left nothing but wreckage in their wake, won the big one, then *poof* they were gone.

For me

1. Steel Curtain
2. '85 Bears
3. Ratbirds

As for best ILB, not going to get into it. My opinion has been mentioned here but I'm not about to argue about unprovable opinions.
Old 01-03-2013   #29
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Will never forget Buddy throwing Gilbride under the bus and calling the offense "chuck n duck" - he was right too. Chiefs had a great defensive gameplan to limit the passing game and we choked, per usual under Pardee. God was Michael Barrow, Bishop/Dishman/Robertson, Ray Childress et al a bunch of animals. Some truly great players and that defense hit HARD.
Bubba mcdowell and william fuller were personal favorites. (Not sure though that either actually played durring ryan's short tenure.)

If you were a kid back then you had to love givens and the electric slide.
Old 01-03-2013   #30
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post

Came on the scene quickly, scared the begabbers out their opponent, left nothing but wreckage in their wake, won the big one, then *poof* they were gone.
I think thats actually a pretty solid analogy.

When your defense is credited with spurring the philosophy behind the west coast offense...an offense still in popular use 30+ years later...it's pretty good.
Old 01-03-2013   #31
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think thats actually a pretty solid analogy.

When your defense is credited with spurring the philosophy behind the west coast offense...an offense still in popular use 30+ years later...it's pretty good.
The niners had that offense going before the '86 Bears IIRC. Walsh had it implemented for their win over the Dolphins in the SB.

Old 01-03-2013   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post

For me

1. Steel Curtain
2. '85 Bears
3. Ratbirds

As for best ILB, not going to get into it. My opinion has been mentioned here but I'm not about to argue about unprovable opinions.
Nice analogy on the Bears.

OK I know Cowboys hating is a city pass time here but the Doomsday D does deserve some credit - 15 years with their worst ranking being 10th. Better than the Steel Curtain over that stretch while individual years vary.
Old 01-03-2013   #33
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
The niners had that offense going before the '86 Bears IIRC. Walsh had it implemented for their win over the Dolphins in the SB.
Thats likely very true...i suppose a lot of framework for the wco was already in place, and i've heard/read numerous Bill Walsh quotes about it as well.
Old 01-03-2013   #34
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thats likely very true...i suppose a lot of framework for the wco was already in place, and i've heard/read numerous Bill Walsh quotes about it as well.
He was lucky to have one of the smartest QBs of alltime. Didn't hurt.

Old 01-03-2013   #35
JPPT1974
List is Life

Rep Power: 864 JPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well seventeen years is a lot for the NFL player. As Lewis has been playing in the league nearly all of his life about.
Old 01-03-2013   #36
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
Well seventeen years is a lot for the NFL player. As Lewis has been playing in the league nearly all of his life about.
For perspective:

Singeltary 11 years
Lambert 10 years
Lt 12 years
Old 01-03-2013   #37
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
Its not just that he lasted 17 years. It was the level of his play. He was no "pro bowler in name only" type like Lomas Brown, Richmond Webb (always the two poster boys for me on that). Every year he was consistently damn good, if not great and an incredible leader. Their defense has been at a high level and intimidating for 14 years and he's the main reason.

Just a great player and one I sure as hell wish had been on my team.

Old 01-04-2013   #38
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember when he killed that guy?!

lol... Sort of.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #39
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Nice analogy on the Bears.

OK I know Cowboys hating is a city pass time here but the Doomsday D does deserve some credit - 15 years with their worst ranking being 10th. Better than the Steel Curtain over that stretch while individual years vary.
That's what I mentioned above. When the Cowboys used to play Steelers in SB in late 70s and Dallas played Orange Crush, Doomsday had as much talent as anyone.
Old 01-04-2013   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Why didn't he wait till the end of the season?

You know, I'm betting he did this to give them extra emotional ammo..... Fkkr.....

Motivating till the end!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read