Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2013   #141
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: LZ: The offense is very much broken and Kubiak canít rely on Ďthe systemí he has

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Not so fast. Anyone who has ever played or coached QBs would tell you, not having a "healthy" back foot goes to overall ACCURACY...........BOTH as pertains to the tendency to underthrow AS WELL as to overthrow, due to the variability of the pressure/stress he is able or willing to apply to that back foot.
What I'm saying is that he's never been particularly accurate on his deep throws. I've been complaining about that well before his LisFranc.

Yes, people can point to a throw here or there to "demonstrate" his accuracy, & they are there, I'm not saying they aren't. But they are far & between.

'cak found an article one time (or referenced a radio show) where Matt admits he underthrows on purpose.

Matt looks good to me (health wise). As good as he ever has.

Whatever issue he is having, I don't think it's physical.
Old 01-03-2013   #142
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ: The offense is very much broken and Kubiak canít rely on Ďthe systemí he has

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I would argue that the overanalysis would be that the team's struggles in December this year means that Kubiak and Schaub are overall failures. I disagree. Kubiak was very successful last year during this time of the year. You think he's regressed. I simply think a set of variables arrived that he struggled to respond to well this winter. Last year, he handled more difficult situations much better. Next year, I think it is likely this late season failure won't repeat.
Gary is and has been playing it very conservative since the Rosencopter debacle. That one play ruined Gary as a HC.

That said, Gary has been playing the entire yr masking OL problems and Shaubs foot injury that doesn't allow Shaub to be the type of QB Gary would like to have. Unfortunately with a limited playbook defenses have caught on to how Gary has been covering for Schaub.

They've got to find a QB in this yrs draft and let him sit behind Schaub and learn next yr so that the new QB will be ready for the 2014 season. If you're of this mindset Then the Texans should use this yrs draft to shore up the offense and gain the young OL/WR's and QB experience. Then in the 2014 draft draft defense because rookie LB's/DL can come in and contribute more quickly. That is if you dont believe Shaub is the QB to win the Texans a SB.

BTW, with the injuries/holes on this team, I think Gary has done his best job of coaching this yr more than any other yr. To win 12 games with those players is simply amazing and believe me I'm no fan of Garys coaching ability.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #143
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
What I'm saying is that he's never been particularly accurate on his deep throws. I've been complaining about that well before his LisFranc.

Yes, people can point to a throw here or there to "demonstrate" his accuracy, & they are there, I'm not saying they aren't. But they are far & between.

'cak found an article one time (or referenced a radio show) where Matt admits he underthrows on purpose.

Matt looks good to me (health wise). As good as he ever has.

Whatever issue he is having, I don't think it's physical.
Look at the types of plays Gary has been calling, then if you go back and look at the plays Gary called during the 2009 sason. I think you will see the difference. Schaubs injury has tied Garys hands this season. IMHO
Old 01-03-2013   #144
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Look at the types of plays Gary has been calling, then if you go back and look at the plays Gary called during the 2009 sason. I think you will see the difference. Schaubs injury has tied Garys hands this season. IMHO
He completed 66% of his passes for 275 yards while he looked like scht???

I'm good with that. His hands are tied....... whatever. He found Andre 12 times for 145 yards.

whoops....
Old 01-03-2013   #145
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
He completed 66% of his passes for 275 yards while he looked like scht???

I'm good with that. His hands are tied....... whatever. He found Andre 12 times for 145 yards.

whoops....
Great stats, but if you watched the game would you say Schaub looked Good/bad/terrible overall. Those stats lie.
Old 01-03-2013   #146
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Great stats, but if you watched the game would you say Schaub looked Good/bad/terrible overall. Those stats lie.
Funny how he left off the two interceptions and all the sacks that killed about 4 drives (or more).

Yeah, but damn almighty! He got Andre that ball for hella' yards!

Some people get sentimental about this stuff, but it's either win or lose with players and teams in the NFL. You're either helping or you're hurting. And Schaub has been hurting this team, and his coach Gary Kubiak is a big reason for that, as well.

I'd say that Gary has even significantly retarded or stunted Schaubs growth. Schaub is wanting to please that guy so badly, and here Kubiak is...a coach who won't let Matt make pass play adjustments based on potential mismatches. Nope, run the pass play called or switch to a run ONLY.

How can you operate like that in today's NFL? It's so frustrating. I would understand if Matt was a rookie, but the guy is multiple years not only into the NFL itself but then multiple years into Gary's offense.

It's catching up with Gary Kubiak.
Old 01-03-2013   #147
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think it's schaub's injury so much as it is him falling too in love with Arian and the running game and him knowing that they were most likely going to have a few OL issues with the whole right side of the line shipped off...Then you factor in he's now got a defense to rely on...Those things on their own are enough to curtail any aggressiveness.

i think the only thing he couldn't have anticipated was how much Tate's injury would hurt us as he seemed a little PO'ed about Tate's inability to get on the field earlier this year....and noone in the WR core outside of AJ really stepping up and taking over for Jacoby.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #148
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. He looked as good as he ever has. They're not lying here.

I started another thread here titled, "They don't know" the gist was that the Texans look like they are getting frustrated because they don't know what's wrong, otherwise they would have fixed it.

I've watched this game three times now & If I were the Texans, I would have thought everything was going our way. Sure we got down early. But we fought our way back into it & we took the lead playing Gary-ball.

They were probably feeling pretty good, that things were going the way they planned.

Then they lost the game.

I think things are trending up. We'll probably blow the Bengals out & most people will think it came out of nowhere. That the Texans flipped a switch. But it started in this game.
Old 01-03-2013   #149
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Some people get sentimental about this stuff, but it's either win or lose with players and teams in the NFL. You're either helping or you're hurting. And Schaub has been hurting this team, and his coach Gary Kubiak is a big reason for that, as well.
If we're going there & the only thing that matters is the Ws & Ls..... we're 12-4. Schaub has helped this team more than he's hurt it.

I also addressed the 2 ints in another post.

& My post is about how Matt is playing in relation to his foot injury. He doesn't look slowed by it.
Old 01-03-2013   #150
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Int to AJ was just a mis-communication between receiver and QB.
AJ released to the outside but then cut back to the inside; by then the ball was already gone.

Of all the sacks, there might be one that you can put on Schaub.
He was sacked around the 3-sec mark when he tried to escape up the middle.
The end man who got around Newton caught up to him from behind and barely got to Schaub.

I would have liked for him to keep his feet chopping there in the pocket though; it would help him move quicker.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #151
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would argue that the overanalysis would be that the team's struggles in December this year means that Kubiak and Schaub are overall failures. I disagree. Kubiak was very successful last year during this time of the year. You think he's regressed. I simply think a set of variables arrived that he struggled to respond to well this winter. Last year, he handled more difficult situations much better. Next year, I think it is likely this late season failure won't repeat.
Respectfully, last year was last year. Kubiak's inability or unwillingness to see and adapt THIS YEAR tells me he has indeed digressed as a coach. To have a team implode the way these Texans have THIS YEAR is a monumental failure. Sure, some blame should be placed on these players. But overall I believe it it Kubiak's fault for not changing or refusing to change, adapt, see what other teams were doing to his team. His play calling became overly predictable, IMO, so much so the once potent offense has become futile. When you have TV announcers making observations about the funk this team was in, and their inability to score a TD for so and so quarters, something's terribly wrong.
The holes weren't there anymore for Foster. When Schaub the Sloth dropped back in the pocket that pocket collapsed almost immediately, and we know how bad Schaub is under pressure.
To me that says defenses know what's going to be called beforehand, because, BECAUSE Kubiak's play calling is almost the same every damn game.
I don't hate Kubiak. I believe he's an outstanding man with good principles.
I don't hate Schaub either.
But, I'm extremely frustrated at what appears to be a wasted season on a learning lesson. A lesson most competent HC's would have recognized many games back.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #152
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
Respectfully, last year was last year. Kubiak's inability or unwillingness to see and adapt THIS YEAR tells me he has indeed digressed as a coach. To have a team implode the way these Texans have THIS YEAR is a monumental failure. Sure, some blame should be placed on these players. But overall I believe it it Kubiak's fault for not changing or refusing to change, adapt, see what other teams were doing to his team. His play calling became overly predictable, IMO, so much so the once potent offense has become futile. When you have TV announcers making observations about the funk this team was in, and their inability to score a TD for so and so quarters, something's terribly wrong.
The holes weren't there anymore for Foster. When Schaub the Sloth dropped back in the pocket that pocket collapsed almost immediately, and we know how bad Schaub is under pressure.
To me that says defenses know what's going to be called beforehand, because, BECAUSE Kubiak's play calling is almost the same every damn game.
But, I'm extremely frustrated at what appears to be a wasted season on a learning lesson. A lesson most competent HC's would have recognized many games back.
You mention the predictability... While that may be a problem, I think something else is going on that I have noticed in the Packer Game and 1st Indy game, particularly. You are correct that defenses have sometimes seem to know what the play was at the snap and correctly commit to it. GB seemed to identify when we were running the stretch and when we were running play action off of it very early. Also, Freeney and Mathis seemed, on a couple plays, seemed to know we were passing despite the play-action.

I think that one of the offensive linemen (likely Newton or Jones) is tipping the defense. I haven't researched it but I'm fairly certain that is a big problem we are dealing with. I'd love to hear if others have noticed anything.
Old 01-03-2013   #153
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
Msr.

Being a great coach...or just an average coach includes adapting on the fly. I've seen our defense do it at times...Kubiak and the offense? Not so much.
Old 01-03-2013   #154
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mention the predictability... While that may be a problem, I think something else is going on that I have noticed in the Packer Game and 1st Indy game, particularly. You are correct that defenses have sometimes seem to know what the play was at the snap and correctly commit to it. GB seemed to identify when we were running the stretch and when we were running play action off of it very early. Also, Freeney and Mathis seemed, on a couple plays, seemed to know we were passing despite the play-action.

I think that one of the offensive linemen (likely Newton or Jones) is tipping the defense. I haven't researched it but I'm fairly certain that is a big problem we are dealing with. I'd love to hear if others have noticed anything.
I think the play calling predictability is a made up couch coaches BS critique when they start wanting to criticize a team.

Now your second point may be spot on. I haven't spotted it but I will give two examples.

#1 - For a time period Tony Dorsett only put his mouth piece in for running plays and teams were keying off on it until the Cowboys figured it out.

#2 - Can't remember which RT it was but Vinny came with me to a game (this was several years ago so not current crew) and spotted he was giving away run v. pass based on whether he elevated his heel on his outside foot when he set.

Little things having nothing to do with play calling or the QB can jack up an offense.
Old 01-03-2013   #155
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak's offense is predictable at times, but no more than most other offenses. It's not like teams are lining up running crazy shyt every down. It's about execution. You know most teams want to run in short yardage...pass on 3rd and 4 or more....that's no secret...

I don't have an issue with Kubiak's playcalling for the most part. I think he has some bad moments, but I don't expect him to be perfect. I think execution is a bigger part of the failings than the actual plays being called.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #156
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we know what to expect when the Steelers play, we know Manning is going to throw the ball, we know what makes the Saints roll....most teams do a few things well and they do them over and over. I think when you lose it just seems redundant. When we were beating teams early in the season we weren't doing anything unexpected. I think what has happened is that we don't do enough things well and when good teams take away our strength we don't have much in the punch bowl to draw on.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #157
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think the play calling predictability is a made up couch coaches BS critique when they start wanting to criticize a team.

Now your second point may be spot on. I haven't spotted it but I will give two examples.

#1 - For a time period Tony Dorsett only put his mouth piece in for running plays and teams were keying off on it until the Cowboys figured it out.

#2 - Can't remember which RT it was but Vinny came with me to a game (this was several years ago so not current crew) and spotted he was giving away run v. pass based on whether he elevated his heel on his outside foot when he set.

Little things having nothing to do with play calling or the QB can jack up an offense.
Cak,

Do you remember us discussing when Vinny and I went to a game together and we both noticed that Duane Brown was giving away plays. I called into the Kubiak 610 radio show and pointed out that Brown was predictably giving away run vs pass by always taking the 2-point stance (upright) with every passing play and the hand down stance with every running play. Kubiak replied that he never noticed but would review game film. After that, the "habit" mysteriously disappeared.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #158
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cak,

Do you remember us discussing when Vinny and I went to a game together and we both noticed that Duane Brown was giving away plays. I called into the Kubiak 610 radio show and pointed out that Brown was predictably giving away run vs pass by always taking the 2-point stance (upright) with every passing play and the hand down stance with every running play. Kubiak replied that he never noticed but would review game film. After that, the "habit" mysteriously disappeared.
I thought I debunked that myth already.

No, neither D. Brown nor Winston lined up in the same stance every single time.
There were times they lined up in A stance when the play goes either run or pass.
There were times they lined up in B stance when the play can go either way, just the same.

There was no telegraphing.

It just so happened that some of you folks saw only a handful of plays and came to quick conclusion.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #159
Grungo_Taco
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Grungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cak,

Freaking Sick!!
Grungo_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #160
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I thought I debunked that myth already.

No, neither D. Brown nor Winston lined up in the same stance every single time.
There were times they lined up in A stance when the play goes either run or pass.
There were times they lined up in B stance when the play can go either way, just the same.

There was no telegraphing.

It just so happened that some of you folks saw only a handful of plays and came to quick conclusion.
I'll let Vinny respond. The game we attended, we could call every single play with accuracy. I guess we were both psychic.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read