Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2013   #61
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1491 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What will it take to make you feel better about this team?

If we make it to the AFCCG I'll feel better about the team. Otherwise they either were just treading water or reverting.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #62
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Madd View Post
Bravo sir. BRAVO!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #63
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 80305 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Is there any chance that any of you people might have your expectations set just a tad too high?

Is it being realistic to go from winning your first ever playoff appearance to a Super Bowl appearance the following year? Has that ever even been done before?

I submit that many of you are wound way too tight and think that expecting a quality product means miracles. That going from 10-6 to 12-4 and winning the division and making the playoffs a second straight year is not an improvement. Hell many of you probably do not have as much passion, or put as much into your kids education as you do heaping your over inflated expectations on the Texans.

Am I happy with the way the team collapsed in the final weeks? Of course not. Will the world end because of it? No.

It seems to me that some of you cannot enjoy life and celebrate the good things and move on, and in fact you take it one step further. You trash your own team in some bizarre attempt to influence the powers that be into taking actions on your perception of the teams problems. You are miserable and you want everyone else to be miserable also, because that supports your mental state and justifies your spineless attitude regarding your team.

You all rag on Schaub when he hangs his head after a bad series and sits on the bench and then turn around and do the exact same thing in here. Hanging your head, whining "woe is me" why is this happening to me? Why does my team suck?!

Perhaps your memories are so short that you have forgotten what it means to have a losing record every season... heck perhaps you have even forgotten what it felt like to have no NFL franchise to cheer for, to tailgate at, to love and to hate.

Perhaps you would feel better if Houston had no NFL franchise? Then you could focus all of your rage and hypocritical hysteria on more simpler things in life without having to worry about that horrible NFL franchise always bringing you down.

Get A Grip... Go Texans!

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I don't hang my head ... I'm ****ing pissed!

That's what I want to see not only out of Schaub but out of Kubiak in reaction to Matt doing stupid crap .... get ****ing pissed and go out and fix it!
Back when I used to get in fights all the time, my goal was always to get the other guy pissed. Pissed off people don't think straight & it's easier to whup their a$s.

It didn't always work that way, but it was a good theory. Actually, in my job today I notice I make more mistakes when I'm frustrated & pissed.
Old 01-03-2013   #65
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 80305 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't hang my head ... I'm ****ing pissed!

That's what I want to see not only out of Schaub but out of Kubiak in reaction to Matt doing stupid crap .... get ****ing pissed and go out and fix it!
Do you take the same approach when your car breaks down? Out there hitting it with wrenches, yanking wires out, grumbling what a POS the car is?

Getting pissed is the last thing you want to do because it keeps you from thinking clearly. Being emotional which is what being pissed is, is not conducive for clear, rational thought.

I think some of you have watched too many movies like "Any Given Sunday" where the coach goes out and screams and hollers at his players and have somehow confused those movies with reality.

While those kind of things work well in a drama, they do not tend to work to well with grown men. Just ask the Ravens players.

Old 01-03-2013   #66
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not care what my kid does in school, as long as he wins a SB as QB for the Texans by the time he is 25.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #67
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a big group hug with the Texans cheerleader squad would really help me feel better about everything.

The line starts here.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #68
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Quote:
Or maybe we watched John Gruden, Bill Cowher, Vince Lombardi, Bum Phillips, Mike Ditka, Hank Stram, etc, etc.

Yeah, absolutely no reality there ...
I am glad your brought that up... Have you noticed that the coaches you named are no longer coaches in the NFL? They are dinosaurs and the game has moved on from that kind of coach.

Old 01-03-2013   #69
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

There have been tons of highly successful mild-mannered coaches in the NFL.
Bill Walsh, George Seifert, Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs, Tony Dungy, Mike Tomlinson, to name a few.
There are still many today like Lovie Smith, Norv Turner, Leslie Frazier, etc.
Bill Belichik is also considered a mild-mannered guy, actually.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #70
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Quote:
Have you noticed all but Bum has a ring and Bum would most likely have one if the Renfro catch would have been called correctly? As far as Gruden and Cowher being dinosaurs ... c'mon man. They are the top names mentioned every year when coaching vacancies come up and would have HC jobs right now if they wanted them.
Yeah, back in those days when going over the middle meant you were taking you life in your own hands you needed that kind of fiery coach to motivate players to risk their health for a first down. It's not like that anymore bro.

In regards to your comments about Gruden and Cowher... Speculation. Nothing more. Media hype. Until it happens it is simply you speculating what people want, and even if it were to happen we would still have to wait and see if they were effective. Look at all the former HC's of those years who tried to coach in this era... They all failed, including one of my favorite coaches of all time "The Tuna". Bill Parcells and his magic could not even fix the Cowboys.

Bill Parcells could not even make it in the front office, and myself and many others respect him highly. Look at the Jets and the Dolphins.

Old 01-03-2013   #71
gwallaia

Rep Power: 73392 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Call me selfish, but I want my team to win a Super Bowl sometime in my lifetime.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #72
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Call me selfish, but I want my team to win a Super Bowl sometime in my lifetime.
Hey bro that is not selfish, that is a perfectly reasonable wish, but expecting them to win the very next year after their first ever playoff appearance is expecting a bit too much. As I asked... Has ANY team every done that? I doubt it.

All you can do is expect them to get better every year until they have what it takes to accomplish that. And like it or not, even the BEST teams have some luck involved in making it to a SB, or winning it.

Old 01-03-2013   #73
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Selfish, Nitrofish... Ya' make me want to go fishing, LOL!
I hope the Texans catch a big Tiger Fish this weekend!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #74
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Hey bro that is not selfish, that is a perfectly reasonable wish, but expecting them to win the very next year after their first ever playoff appearance is expecting a bit too much. As I asked... Has ANY team every done that? I doubt it.

All you can do is expect them to get better every year until they have what it takes to accomplish that. And like it or not, even the BEST teams have some luck involved in making it to a SB, or winning it.
Oakland Raiders - 1st year
NY Jets - 1st year
Minnesota Vikings - 2nd year (9th season of play)

I stopped there.
Old 01-03-2013   #75
gwallaia

Rep Power: 73392 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I was an Oiler fan for 25 years before they left for Nashville, I've been a Texan fan for 10 years. I have waited 35 years for a Super Bowl. I'm tired of waiting; I'm tired of hearing, "there's always next season."

So I am pissed this team has bent over and grabbed their ankles the last part of the season and crapped away home field advantage.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #76
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was an Oiler fan for 25 years before they left for Nashville, I've been a Texan fan for 10 years. I have waited 35 years for a Super Bowl. I'm tired of waiting; I'm tired of hearing, "there's always next season."

So I am pissed this team has bent over and grabbed their ankles the last part of the season and crapped away home field advantage.
Can't say it much better than this. I'm right there with ya.
Old 01-03-2013   #77
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpsfaYvm_W4

Old 01-03-2013   #78
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Is there any chance that any of you people might have your expectations set just a tad too high?

Is it being realistic to go from winning your first ever playoff appearance to a Super Bowl appearance the following year? Has that ever even been done before?

I submit that many of you are wound way too tight and think that expecting a quality product means miracles. That going from 10-6 to 12-4 and winning the division and making the playoffs a second straight year is not an improvement. Hell many of you probably do not have as much passion, or put as much into your kids education as you do heaping your over inflated expectations on the Texans.

Am I happy with the way the team collapsed in the final weeks? Of course not. Will the world end because of it? No.

It seems to me that some of you cannot enjoy life and celebrate the good things and move on, and in fact you take it one step further. You trash your own team in some bizarre attempt to influence the powers that be into taking actions on your perception of the teams problems. You are miserable and you want everyone else to be miserable also, because that supports your mental state and justifies your spineless attitude regarding your team.

You all rag on Schaub when he hangs his head after a bad series and sits on the bench and then turn around and do the exact same thing in here. Hanging your head, whining "woe is me" why is this happening to me? Why does my team suck?!

Perhaps your memories are so short that you have forgotten what it means to have a losing record every season... heck perhaps you have even forgotten what it felt like to have no NFL franchise to cheer for, to tailgate at, to love and to hate.

Perhaps you would feel better if Houston had no NFL franchise? Then you could focus all of your rage and hypocritical hysteria on more simpler things in life without having to worry about that horrible NFL franchise always bringing you down.

Get A Grip... Go Texans!

Why do you have only the two extremes 1. giddify (new word I made up just for you) or 2. No team? Why can I not comment on the things I do not like as well as what I do? I don't usually talk about posters' personal life but you attack others. Is your life so mundane and depressing that when a positive comes along you have to go overboard like a 15 year old girl at her quinceanera?

How can expectations be too high when we won division last season with so many injuries and backups like Yates offering us hope? Schaub, Watts and others give us a 11-1 season and you think our expectations are too high? We have 8 on Pro Bowl roster and we expect too much?

I am sure you are aiming your POV at the extremists but when I read your post you seem to be painting on a large canvas. How about taking on specific posters and debating with your facts/opinions?

When I have a bowel movement, I don't think about those good ones when everything went well with little effort, injury or loss of blood. I thoughtfully consider ways to make the next time a better experience.
Old 01-03-2013   #79
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Why do you have only the two extremes 1. giddify (new word I made up just for you) or 2. No team? Why can I not comment on the things I do not like as well as what I do? I don't usually talk about posters' personal life but you attack others. Is your life so mundane and depressing that when a positive comes along you have to go overboard like a 15 year old girl at her quinceanera?

How can expectations be too high when we won division last season with so many injuries and backups like Yates offering us hope? Schaub, Watts and others give us a 11-1 season and you think our expectations are too high? We have 8 on Pro Bowl roster and we expect too much?

I am sure you are aiming your POV at the extremists but when I read your post you seem to be painting on a large canvas. How about taking on specific posters and debating with your facts/opinions?

When I have a bowel movement, I don't think about those good ones when everything went well with little effort, injury or loss of blood. I thoughtfully consider ways to make the next time a better experience.
I think that if my comments ruffled your feathers then you are probably one of the extremists the post was intended for.

It would be futile to take on every person who is letting their emotions get the better of themselves. It is a landslide of emotional over reactions in here. I was addressing those posters, and if my post struck a nerve with you, then perhaps you should examine your life and stop questioning the possible mundane nature of mine. That is a silly Jr High veiled insult that has no place in this discussion. Just more irrational, emotional baggage because your feelings were hurt.

You are the one who is being extreme not me... and if anyone is acting like a 15 year old girl at her quinceanera, it is you and the sissies who are crying and calling for the heads of those they feel are responsible.

As far as debating with facts... I have tried that, and if there is one thing I have learned in life, it's that you cannot have a rational discussion with someone who is being emotional, and irrational.

In regards to the number of pro bowlers we have, or what our record is... Why do those things suddenly have anything to do with your expectations. Everyone openly admits that Pro Bowl selections are a popularity contest, not something you can hang your Super Bowl aspirations on. The expectations of this team from a certain portion of the Texans fan base are WAY too high IMHO.

As far as your bowel movements go, that just too much information dude and I would ask that you kindly keep that to yourself. Relating your football team to your bowel movements concerns me on a number of levels.

Old 01-03-2013   #80
FR0497
Rookie

Rep Power: 269 FR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respectedFR0497 is a quality contributor and well respected

Destroying the Bengals will be a good start. Beat NE next week and play their butts off against Denver in the AFCCG and I'll be satisfied.
FR0497 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read