Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-02-2013   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ray Lewis Retiring: “This will be my last ride”

One of the best to ever play the position, imo.

Quote:
One of the greatest players in NFL history is preparing to hang it up after the playoffs.

Ray Lewis, the Ravens linebacker and future Pro Football Hall of Famer, said today that he plans to retire following this season. The Ravens open the playoffs on Sunday against the Colts, in what will likely be Lewis’s last game in Baltimore.

“This will be my last ride,” Lewis said.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-my-last-ride/
Old 01-02-2013   #2
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ray Lewis Retiring: “This will be my last ride”

GOAT mlb...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
GOAT mlb...
Not to take anything away from Ray, as I've got tremendous respect for him.

But, he's no. 2 right behind Mike Singletary in my book.
Old 01-02-2013   #4
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

No, he's the BEST EVER.

I'll get to see him one more time......
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar disagree. He should never have had this many seasons. He should've been in jail.
Old 01-02-2013   #6
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 75430 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Not to take anything away from Ray, as I've got tremendous respect for him.

But, he's no. 2 right behind Mike Singletary in my book.
lol MS is so over rated
Old 01-02-2013   #7
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 114917 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
lol MS is so over rated

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2013   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol MS is so over rated
captain of arguably the greatest defense ever overrated? Hmm...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #9
iLoveTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 276 iLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Im gonna miss seeing him try his hardest every game. You will be remembered #52!

Sig courtesy of False Start!
iLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #10
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

jay foreman, the greatest MLB ever.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol MS is so over rated
...said no one ever.

Singletary and Lewis are so close in records that a good argument could be made either way. The main reason I give Singletary the nod is that Lewis has called him his mentor. Singletary coached Lewis for two seasons with the Ravens, btw. Video

They were both captains of the two best defenses in the last 30 years. I'd go back farther in time, but the 1970's Steel Curtain is easily considered the best ever. Both of these cats look up to Jack Lambert.
Old 01-02-2013   #12
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 29696 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Too bad the Texans choked, then we could've seen him play his last game in Reliant.
Old 01-02-2013   #13
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
jay foreman, the greatest MLB ever.
Ahh man, thats harsh. Foreman was a fantastic linebacker once the ball was 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.
Old 01-02-2013   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...said no one ever.

Singletary and Lewis are so close in records that a good argument could be made either way. The main reason I give Singletary the nod is that Lewis has called him his mentor. Singletary coached Lewis for two seasons with the Ravens, btw. Video

They were both captains of the two best defenses in the last 30 years. I'd go back farther in time, but the 1970's Steel Curtain is easily considered the best ever. Both of these cats look up to Jack Lambert.
The Steel Curtain is not even in the top 3 much less the best ever. Hell, you'd have to find at least one season to try and compare instead of trying to use a decade of a defense. Statistically the Ravens Defense blew their defense out of the water the year they won the SB. The Ravens played against waaaaaayyy better offenses. The Ravens won their SB with nothing but defense and were the first team to ever win a SB with straight defense and no offense.

And by your theory, you're basically saying that these guys are better because they were older. I could argue that LB"s before Lambert were better by that notion just because they were older. Now days LB's like Ray Lewis have more responsibilities though. Lambert and Singletary weren't practically coaches on the field the way Ray Lewis has been. Not to the same level any way. And I don't see what Singletary being a mentor has anything to do with him being better. That just means he coached him at one point. Ray Lewis was already a HOFer before Singletary ever coached him any way.

The only LB that is really even close to being in the discussion to Ray Lewis is LT, and Ray Lewis was easily better because he wasn't the detriment to his team like LT was. LT helped his teammates to get into trouble and to do tons of bad things off the field. Ray Lewis helped his teammates to stay out of trouble and to buy into everything they were doing on the field. He helped to even minister some of his teammates and help them with their faith in the lord.

Ultimate leader on and off the field. Best LB of all time. Best defensive player of all time. Best leader of all time. This is an opinion of course, but there is a ton of evidence to back up that claim as a strong argument.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Type in Google "greatest NFL defenses of all time".

Everyone (but the brilliant Tex) agrees that it's the Steel Curtain.

Here's your "one season", dood:

Quote:
In the 1976 season, the Steelers' defense was a juggernaut, arguably the greatest defense of all time. After the Steelers started 1-4 and lost their quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, the Steelers' defense took over for the remaining nine games. The Steelers recorded five shutouts, including three in a row, during this stretch. During this nine-game stretch the Steelers allowed a total of two touchdowns (in the same game) and five field goals. The defense allowed an average 3.1 points per game and the team had an average margin of victory of 22 points. Eight of the Steelers' starting eleven defensive players were selected for the Pro Bowl that year. Four would be selected to the Hall of Fame.

Source
So whatever, man. Your credibility just went out the window.

Quote:
The Steel Curtain is not even in the top 3 much less the best ever.
You dissing the Steel Curtain! BWAHAHAHAHA!!

I'm not dissing the Ravens D (like you seem to be with the Steel Curtain). I'm just a NFL history fan, and your take of trying to make them look bad is so freakin' whack that I find your post to be humorous than anything else. "Humorous" as in uneducated full of shit.

I think a case could be made that Ray Lewis is G.O.A.T. I said it earlier. So very much unlike you, I can see both sides.

You and your agendas. So obvious! lol
Old 01-02-2013   #16
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81109 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

I went from despising Lewis and having little respect for him to debating if he was the greatest player I ever saw live.

He's top 5 alltime on defense. LT and Butkus are the only two I immediately have above him.

ESPN puts Reggie White ahead of him but I hesitate at that.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Type in Google "greatest NFL defenses of all time".

Everyone (but the brilliant Tex) agrees that it's the Steel Curtain.

Here's your "one season", dood:
Sorry, but the Ravens defense averaged less points per game as far as what they gave up to opposing defenses in a 16 game season. That's by far the most important stat of any stat of a one year defense. They gave up the least amount of points and won the SB doing it as well. Points is always the most important stat when describing an entire unit that win a SB. To not allow teams to score. They only gave up "23 points in four games of the playoffs!!". Show me where the Steelers dominated a post season like that even in their run oriented era. Their best season was 1976 where they lost in the playoffs. I've always said that whether it's on offense or defense. Points are what matter when comparing one unit against the other. The Ravens gave up the least. The only team that gave up less were the Vikings (Purple People Eaters) way back in the day and they weren't even playing in 16 game seasons either, nor did they win it all like the Ravens did. The Vikings like the Steelers didn't play with these complex offenses either where QB's routinely were throwing for 3,500 to 4,000 yards a season. A defense dominating like the Ravens and Bucs did is a lot harder now days then it was back then.

For a 14 game season the Steelers were the best I'd say in their era where the defenses had a much better advantage to dominate back then. In a 16 game season the Ravens only allowed 152 points to their entire season. The Steelers allowed 138, which would be a 14 point difference from two games.

Quote:
So whatever, man. Your credibility just went out the window.
My cred went out the window because you posted some link? Yet you didn't even pay attention to the meat and the potatoes of which made the defenses so great?? Okaaaaayyy. Hell, the 1976 Steelers didn't even win the SB that year either.

Quote:
You dissing the Steel Curtain! BWAHAHAHAHA!!

I'm not dissing the Ravens D (like you seem to be with the Steel Curtain). I'm just a NFL history fan, and your take of trying to make them look bad is so freakin' whack that I find your post to be humorous than anything else. "Humorous" as in uneducated full of shit.

I think a case could be made that Ray Lewis is G.O.A.T. I said it earlier. So very much unlike you, I can see both sides.

You and your agendas. So obvious! lol
Didn't diss the Steel Curtain. They were great, but they had a few HOF's on offense as well. The Ravens didn't have squat. They had a garbage QB, a decent rookie RB who barely posted a 1,000 yards, and total garbage at WR. The only good offensive player they had really was Ogden on the O line. The Steelers however had a HOF QB which the most important position on the field who had already led his team to 4 SB's, a HOF WR, and a HOF RB. Yeah, they had a great defense and all, but their run is extremely legendary because they won 4 SB's. They won those 4 SB's in an era that favored defenses a lot more then they do now, and they also didn't have free agency where player movement is all over the place like it was for the Ravens who never had a great QB much less a HOF one. I'd put the 85 Bears and the Bucs defenses above the Steelers as well. The Bucs were probably a close 2nd to the Ravens.
Old 01-02-2013   #18
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102920 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont have a horse in this race and would like to consider myself impartial. I'd offer the better defense didnt just give up the least points to opponents. Defensive scoring and turnovers would have to be a consideration as well since they do and can have a direct impact on the scoreboard. Dont know who's ahead in either of those categories...
Old 01-02-2013   #19
powda
Hall of Fame

Total points allowed per game:

Ravens (152÷16 = 9.5)

Steelers (138÷14 = 9.857)
Old 01-02-2013   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
I dont have a horse in this race and would like to consider myself impartial. I'd offer the better defense didnt just give up the least points to opponents. Defensive scoring and turnovers would have to be a consideration as well since they do and can have a direct impact on the scoreboard. Dont know who's ahead in either of those categories...
Good point. I've never looked that up. I'll see if I can find the stats for that, as I'd like to compare the Bears, Bucs, Steelers and the Ravens. My first guess is that the Ravens or the Bucs had the most. But that's a valid point.

I think the Ravens had the worst offense out of all of those teams though. The Steelers had by far the best players on offense to help the entire team out though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read