Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2013   #61
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just a possible observation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Really!!? If I was a betting woman I'd have bet against my team when we played the Colts last week. I watched the game calm, but irritated. Where do you think "feel good" stories come from anyway? The freaking MEDIA! I accepted the loss against the Colts, knew it was coming, BUT, I didn't accept the loss against the Vikes. Our team was HORRIBLE and deserved to lose! We should have beat the Colts, PERIOD!

If you read this MB very much you will find out that these guys are hard as hell on our team! Most do NOT accept mediocre play, bad attitudes, or crappy coaching. Every game we've lost this year we played like crap on all levels of play. GB and NE made us look like Jr High kids playing ball. I have NO idea WHY we played so bad against the VIkes, but, the Colts was a dead game before the whistle was blown. JMO!!
Apreciate your passion but you are wrong IMO.

What possible benefit would the League get from the refs blowing calls for the Colts?

Chuck Pagano's story was extraordinary in that I cannot remember a HC leaving his team because of Leukemia or cancer, leaving a first year OC and rookie QB to lead a roster that was completely turned over from a year ago.

Methinks its just jealousy but I could be wrong.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #62
Grungo_Taco
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Grungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
Apreciate your passion but you are wrong IMO.

What possible benefit would the League get from the refs blowing calls for the Colts?

Chuck Pagano's story was extraordinary in that I cannot remember a HC leaving his team because of Leukemia or cancer, leaving a first year OC and rookie QB to lead a roster that was completely turned over from a year ago.

Methinks its just jealousy but I could be wrong.
1) Why are you trolling a texans forum? ~ Perhaps to ease your own woe's? 2) You have no clue what you are talking about.. Did you see the strip-sack fumble they overturned?
Grungo_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #63
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungo_Taco View Post
1) Why are you trolling a texans forum? ~ Perhaps to ease your own woe's? 2) You have no clue what you are talking about.. Did you see the strip-sack fumble they overturned?
Trolling? OOh, so 90's of you...

Its a discussion board, no? Why when a fan from another team comes on, everyone assumes they are hiding something about their own team? You guys crack me up...

The 'fumble' was the veritable definitin of the "Tuck Rule". The rule sucks but until its eliminated, then what transpired, is the definition of the Tuck Rule.

Thats not what cost you the game. Whining about refs is for losers....
Old 01-01-2013   #64
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
ha im loving that in a thread that features the phrase 'mcnair needs to wake up to reality' prominently that aj apparently never drops an easy ball or that hes the best wr in the league
Like I said when I started this thread, these are just MY observations and the way I feel about things and I don't believe I have made a statement as a fact perse.

As far as your facepalm, if you can prove me wrong I welcome it. Other than AJ coming back from injury, when before has he dropped such easy balls? He is in stellar form at this point and that ball went through his arms like he started thinking about riding bikes or what he was going to do in the offseason. AJ, is one of, if not the best WR in the league and that is also my opinion. Calvin Johnson is indeed great, but considering who's throwing the balls, I'd take AJ receiving from any top 10 QB all day over CJ receiving from Shaub. You swap those two out, and stories would be quite a bit different.

So take you facepalm and replace it with facts before you come in here arrogantly suggesting my opinion as ludicrous.
Old 01-01-2013   #65
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Trolling? OOh, so 90's of you...

Its a discussion board, no? Why when a fan from another team comes on, everyone assumes they are hiding something about their own team? You guys crack me up...

The 'fumble' was the veritable definitin of the "Tuck Rule". The rule sucks but until its eliminated, then what transpired, is the definition of the Tuck Rule.

Thats not what cost you the game. Whining about refs is for losers....
Besides that fumble, which does fall under the "tuck" rule and that was a heads up play by luck and nothing less, there have been a couple instances in the last few weeks where clear fumbles were whistled dead bi refs, some EXTREMELY questionable Off/Def Pass interference calls with very similar situations going against the Texans.

Now, for the record I know we all get upset about calls, and fair enough upon review I'm usually telling other fans it was legit and to chill out, but there have been some plays that were even reviewed that have still went against us. Conspiracy? I don't know, I hope not, but I do know at the minimum it is questionable.

One of the big reasons the NBA makes me mad is the ref is given so much power to completely change the momentum of the game and the NFL is becoming very much the same. Players and plays should change momentum, not some zebra who's task is to make sure the game is played fairly and does not get out of hand.
Old 01-02-2013   #66
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

they will never give up on kubes this is his team he built it from the ground up im talking about the offensive

if any thing i just see dissapointment in themselfs for just gettin beat thats all

its kinda hard for some people when u give your best 150 % yet thats not even good enough
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
This is such Bullstarch....only fans who cannot accept that their team got beat whines about the calls, the refs or how the NFL 'wants' certain matchups for rating and $$$.

Only the networks worry about the Matchups and ratings. Anyhting else is a farce.
Agreed. The good teams win in spite of bad calls. That includes the GreenBay/Seattle game earlier this year. Had the Packers been able to keep Rogers on his feet, that game wouldn't have been close & that simultaneous catch wouldn't have been an issue.
Old 01-02-2013   #68
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Besides that fumble, which does fall under the "tuck" rule and that was a heads up play by luck and nothing less, there have been a couple instances in the last few weeks where clear fumbles were whistled dead bi refs, some EXTREMELY questionable Off/Def Pass interference calls with very similar situations going against the Texans.

Now, for the record I know we all get upset about calls, and fair enough upon review I'm usually telling other fans it was legit and to chill out, but there have been some plays that were even reviewed that have still went against us. Conspiracy? I don't know, I hope not, but I do know at the minimum it is questionable.

One of the big reasons the NBA makes me mad is the ref is given so much power to completely change the momentum of the game and the NFL is becoming very much the same. Players and plays should change momentum, not some zebra who's task is to make sure the game is played fairly and does not get out of hand.
I wouldn't watch the NBA if I was taking a dump and was bored so the analogy is lost on me....

PI calls are always and have always been, a subjective call- it is that referee's
opinion of the interpretation of the rule....nothing you can do about that. Plus the speed of the game is so fast, one has to make a split second decision- You ever ref a sport? I reffed Lacrosse for 10 years- talk about fast paced....

Every team's fan base has a conspiracy theory of the NFL refs against them.....
Old 01-02-2013   #69
edwardc5637
Rookie

Rep Power: 2228 edwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Honestly when I watch I see the offensive players disgusted with the play calling and the qb play...the expressions by Aj and Foster are clear as day to me
Mcnair has to see how unhappy those two are .
edwardc5637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #70
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Like I said when I started this thread, these are just MY observations and the way I feel about things and I don't believe I have made a statement as a fact perse.

As far as your facepalm, if you can prove me wrong I welcome it. Other than AJ coming back from injury, when before has he dropped such easy balls? He is in stellar form at this point and that ball went through his arms like he started thinking about riding bikes or what he was going to do in the offseason. AJ, is one of, if not the best WR in the league and that is also my opinion. Calvin Johnson is indeed great, but considering who's throwing the balls, I'd take AJ receiving from any top 10 QB all day over CJ receiving from Shaub. You swap those two out, and stories would be quite a bit different.

So take you facepalm and replace it with facts before you come in here arrogantly suggesting my opinion as ludicrous.
All that poster does is agitate and piss people off. He lives for it.

So don't worry about it. I stopped quoting him months ago, because it's not worth the effort to just have him get you into a flame war. You can't fight fire with fire. You'll just wear yourself out. I have gotten to where I know which posters I can quote and which I can't. Some, you just have to NEVER quote them no matter what. It's science.

I see what you're saying and I agree. I've been seeing it for going on 6 games now. At some point, the players are going to choose to keep trying hard for the coach (even if they have a small doubt in the back of their heads) but all men have a snapping point. I think our guys are reaching theirs.
Old 01-02-2013   #71
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Quote:
I wouldn't watch the NBA if I was taking a dump and was bored so the analogy is lost on me....

PI calls are always and have always been, a subjective call- it is that referee's
opinion of the interpretation of the rule....nothing you can do about that. Plus the speed of the game is so fast, one has to make a split second decision- You ever ref a sport? I reffed Lacrosse for 10 years- talk about fast paced....

Every team's fan base has a conspiracy theory of the NFL refs against them.....
Ok, I'll be more specific.

In the Patriots game, one of our defenders ran in front of their receiver while both going after the ball and defensive PI is called. Then, the exact opposite occured and Offensive PI is called. Just stuff like that...
Old 01-02-2013   #72
handswarmer
All Pro

Quote:
Ok, I'll be more specific.

In the Patriots game, one of our defenders ran in front of their receiver while both going after the ball and defensive PI is called. Then, the exact opposite occured and Offensive PI is called. Just stuff like that...
I've been watching all the playoff teams games over the holiday- give me some references for the plays you speak of qtr clock down distance etc.....

Refs blow calls all the time....
Old 01-02-2013   #73
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Quote:
I've been watching all the playoff teams games over the holiday- give me some references for the plays you speak of qtr clock down distance etc.....

Refs blow calls all the time....
It's not enough that it happened? I don't have time to scour through 3 hours of football at the moment, but I saw it when it happened and watched the reviews and I saw the two same plays both go in the Patriots favor. It really stuck out because I thought it was a load of crap! I'm believe I'm fairly reasonable when it comes to calls, like the tuck rule, I'll give him that. Other stuff is hard to call in real time, I know that too. But when you take two of the same instances and flip them and the call both times goes to one team...that's jacked up. I'm sure there's another fan here that knows what I'm talking about and may know where to find those 2 plays better than I do.
Old 01-02-2013   #74
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not enough that it happened? I don't have time to scour through 3 hours of football at the moment, but I saw it when it happened and watched the reviews and I saw the two same plays both go in the Patriots favor. It really stuck out because I thought it was a load of crap! I'm believe I'm fairly reasonable when it comes to calls, like the tuck rule, I'll give him that. Other stuff is hard to call in real time, I know that too. But when you take two of the same instances and flip them and the call both times goes to one team...that's jacked up. I'm sure there's another fan here that knows what I'm talking about and may know where to find those 2 plays better than I do.
What I know is that the Texans were really good in the penalty department for a long time (despite the blocks in the back on ST), but the calls went 999 degrees around in December.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #75
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
What I know is that the Texans were really good in the penalty department for a long time (despite the blocks in the back on ST), but the calls went 999 degrees around in December.
& some of them have been doozies. The one against Brandon Harris vs Reggie Wayne..... c'mon, Reggie pushed him out of the way, BH was holding on for dear life. Had he not fought back, he'd have been on the ground & I doubt the ref would have called it.

That last one against Kj, he's got a step on the receiver, going for the ball. The receiver grabs his shoulder & pulls him back. Kj puts his hands up so the refs see him & they throw the flag on Kj... I couldn't believe that.

Same thing with LeStar Jean getting called for the Offensive PI. That was ridiculous.
Old 01-02-2013   #76
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
& some of them have been doozies. The one against Brandon Harris vs Reggie Wayne..... c'mon, Reggie pushed him out of the way, BH was holding on for dear life. Had he not fought back, he'd have been on the ground & I doubt the ref would have called it.

That last one against Kj, he's got a step on the receiver, going for the ball. The receiver grabs his shoulder & pulls him back. Kj puts his hands up so the refs see him & they throw the flag on Kj... I couldn't believe that.

Same thing with LeStar Jean getting called for the Offensive PI. That was ridiculous.
Well, before pushing him out, Wayne grabbed and pulled Brandon Harris in, toward him, all the while hiding it from the back judge.

I detest watching the grin on Wayne's face as he fled the crime scene just as I watched the grin on Luck's face when he walked back out onto the field after that blown fumble call.

They knew they got away with favorable calls; there's no other way to explain their reaction.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #77
handswarmer
All Pro

Aain, if you are whining about refs calls as to why you lost, then you didn't do enough to put yourself in a position to win.
Old 01-02-2013   #78
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Well, before pushing him out, Wayne grabbed and pulled Brandon Harris in, toward him, all the while hiding it from the back judge.

I detest watching the grin on Wayne's face as he fled the crime scene just as I watched the grin on Luck's face when he walked back out onto the field after that blown fumble call.

They knew they got away with favorable calls; there's no other way to explain their reaction.
Maybe we're looking at a culmination of all these things bearing down on the back of the players' minds. The consistently bad calls the last few weeks, the 3rd and long draws, the predictable play calling, the not going for it while trailing in the 4th on 4th and 1, the not switching to zone coverage while getting burnt on man and no consistent pressure to the QB. I mean, as a team, it has to be on their minds, and when you are in a mental funk, regardless of how much you make (see Heath Ledger), it is a powerful thing. People underestimate the power of the mind and think just because they can flip burgers right after smoking a blunt that a football player should be able to perform with a lot of doubt on his mind. Maybe we need a team therapist?? haha
Old 01-02-2013   #79
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Aain, if you are whining about refs calls as to why you lost, then you didn't do enough to put yourself in a position to win.
hey, hey... hey now. I'm not whining. I agreed with you earlier. I feel the same way.

76 & I are just acknowledging there have been some egregious calls... that's all. Not saying that's why we lost, but we understand how someone could adopt that idea.
Old 01-02-2013   #80
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Maybe we're looking at a culmination of all these things bearing down on the back of the players' minds. The consistently bad calls the last few weeks, the 3rd and long draws, the predictable play calling, the not going for it while trailing in the 4th on 4th and 1, the not switching to zone coverage while getting burnt on man and no consistent pressure to the QB.
Some of the things you mentioned is nothing more than messageboard fodder. The playing man thing..... we play a lot of man. But the plays we got burned on, especially the big plays, weren't pure man schemes. We had a flat footed safety watching the receivers run past him on their way to a bad ass catch & run. We leave our guys on islands, but we mix in a lot of safety help & disguised coverages.

Don't listen to the guys on the radio. Zone coverages break down just as easily against guys like Brady & Rogers. They know where the holes are before the defense does (because they know which patterns are ran).

I also think a lot of the 3rd & long draws is Matt checking out of a called play. Kubiak said as much after one of the games. Matt didn't like what he saw & checked to a draw.

But mainly, I think Kubiak has been trying to keep the guys on an even keel so long, that when it's time to get emotional.... they can't.

More or less, I agree with you.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read