Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2013   #21
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 60 possessions = 7 touchdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Could you see Bill Belichick or Bill Parcells trying to avoid segways around his facility while strutting around with letterman jackets for winning the AFC East with a month left in the season?

probably not I'd guess.
They got distracted or What is reading my own headlines for 500 Alex ?

I would even say JJ saying " don't count me out of the MVP talk " is part of this .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #22
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You have got to be kidding me. You guys amaze me at how all of you are supposed to know how this offense runs and can literally watch the running game fall apart which is the main part of our offense and watch the Oline crumble, but consistently put this all on Schaub.

He deserves some blame, but I can't even begin to understand how you guys just block out all of these other problems.
I did not see the o-line or Foster completely under-throwing a receiver in stride for an easy INT. Schaub wasn't even slightly pressured on that INT.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but one player touches the ball on every offensive play, and one player tries to make all the passes. This is not a run first offense. Everything is predicated on the pass, and when the QB is off, the entire offense sucks wind.

You seem to blinded by Kubiak hatred and oblivious to Schaub's obvious shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I went back and watched this game again .... there were plays to be made. Schaub simply didnt capitalize upon the opportunities , and there were at least a 9 plays where Schaub made critical errors ..... overthrown , underthrown , missing an open reciever and throwing into coverage.

It wasnt the playcalling , it wasnt the coaching , it was Schaub missing open reads or flat out throwing bad balls.

No , the OL didnt do him any favors against the Dolts backup DL .... but again , the plays were there to be made. The fact that the Dolts backup's were able to ruin the Texans day should go along way in telling us what has to be fixed going forward .... since we are stuck with Schaub for at least two more seasons.

In a league where games are decided by one play , your QB cant leave 9 of them on the field.
My thoughts exactly. I think this team could go to the SB with Kubiak as head coach, but he's picked Schaub as his QB and seems to be intent on making it work. I also think Kubiak is the kind of coach that does not want to change horses mid-stream, so in Schaub we (mis)trust until the wheels eventually fall off.

Quote:
Could you see Bill Belichick or Bill Parcells trying to avoid segways around his facility while strutting around with letterman jackets for winning the AFC East with a month left in the season?

probably not I'd guess.
Belichick's team does not celebrate division "championships". Winning the division is just another brick in the road and a stepping stone to the final goal.

Our franchise, on the other hand, sees the division "championship" as a reason to let off the gas and take a month-long break from things. It's happened two years in a row now. I'm really excited about getting another banner for Reliant!
Old 01-02-2013   #23
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Belichick's team does not celebrate division "championships". Winning the division is just another brick in the road and a stepping stone to the final goal.

Our franchise, on the other hand, sees the division "championship" as a reason to let off the gas and take a month-long break from things. It's happened two years in a row now. I'm really excited about getting another banner for Reliant!
That bugs me a lot, I must admit. When the Texans won the AFC South last year, I thought it was cool, but it was just a stepping stone. All the AFC South Championship t-shirts and hats were kind of a joke, I thought. I can see t-shirts and hype when you win the AFC. Winning the AFC South is just a playoff spot. You've accomplished something that 12 out of 32 teams accomplish. It's not all that huge a deal. Frankly, it should be expected.

Consequently, I did not get a 2011 AFC South t-shirt or hat. This year, my wife got me a 2012 one for Christmas. When I objected on the above argument, she said it's probably the closest I'm going to get for a while.

Since I couldn't argue against that, I wear the stupid shirt.
Old 01-02-2013   #24
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I went back and watched this game again .... there were plays to be made. Schaub simply didnt capitalize upon the opportunities , and there were at least a 9 plays where Schaub made critical errors ..... overthrown , underthrown , missing an open reciever and throwing into coverage.

It wasnt the playcalling , it wasnt the coaching , it was Schaub missing open reads or flat out throwing bad balls.

No , the OL didnt do him any favors against the Dolts backup DL .... but again , the plays were there to be made. The fact that the Dolts backup's were able to ruin the Texans day should go along way in telling us what has to be fixed going forward .... since we are stuck with Schaub for at least two more seasons.

In a league where games are decided by one play , your QB cant leave 9 of them on the field.
9 plays? really?

2 ints
1 poorly thrown ball to OD on a kitchen sink blitz close to the red zone
1 overthrow to Jean that probably should've been completed for a long gain
1 throw where he missed OD coming across the middle wide open

That's all i counted right there that are all on him. I'd be interested to know the other 4 plays you counted that were all on him just to see what people are seeing that i'm not seeing....surely you're not counting any of the sacks on him are you?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #25
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
That's all i counted right there that are all on him. I'd be interested to know the other 4 plays you counted that were all on him just to see what people are seeing that i'm not seeing....surely you're not counting any of the sacks on him are you?
I have no idea what nine plays he's thinking about, but I seem to recall thinking at least one of those sacks was clearly on Schaub, as well as one incompletion based on pressure. The man's pre-snap recognition is atrocious at times.
Old 01-02-2013   #26
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I have no idea what nine plays he's thinking about, but I seem to recall thinking at least one of those sacks was clearly on Schaub, as well as one incompletion based on pressure. The man's pre-snap recognition is atrocious at times.
The incompletion based on pressure you're talking about is that pass i spoke of in my previous post about the kitchen sink blitz. he threw it in the dirt falling back..he had a little more time if he just holds on & makes a solid throw..AJ was coming free right behind OD as well.

See i don't blame any of the sacks on him. 2 of them, he barely had a chance to set up in the pocket and someone was on him..the Freeney & Geathers sacks. There was another where he was getting ready to throw it but pulled it down and got creamed....i put that 1 on the line also b/c Harris/Jones man just shoved them to the side; they gotta hold up better than that.

the one thing he doesn't do that i can't stand is he NEVER uses a hard count. We saw luck use a hard count to get our defense to jump offsides 783297 times last week..Schaub doesn't use any. It's either walk up to the line and snap real fast or let the clock wind down & snap it...which helps the defense out more than the offense b/c they can time their blitzes perfectly.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd bet that Schaub doesn't make real "pre snap reads". He's looking for keys. He's pre programmed each week during practice and film. He's going strictly off of what he's told to do from week to week. He's not making adjustments on the fly. If you see this, do that and only that. If this guy is lined up here, this is what we're going to do...every other factor be damned.

If Matt did some real critical thinking and problem solving out there we'd see a variance in his cadence. We'd run the "sugar huddle" more often. We'd let him completely audible out of formations or plays. We don't see that. He comes up to the line, makes his robotic pre programmed read, and hikes the ball.

I don't think Matt is incapable of recognizing things before the snap. He's just not given that freedom/responsibility for some reason.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #28
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That bugs me a lot, I must admit. When the Texans won the AFC South last year, I thought it was cool, but it was just a stepping stone. All the AFC South Championship t-shirts and hats were kind of a joke, I thought. I can see t-shirts and hype when you win the AFC. Winning the AFC South is just a playoff spot. You've accomplished something that 12 out of 32 teams accomplish. It's not all that huge a deal. Frankly, it should be expected.

Consequently, I did not get a 2011 AFC South t-shirt or hat. This year, my wife got me a 2012 one for Christmas. When I objected on the above argument, she said it's probably the closest I'm going to get for a while.

I'll be honest, I got both the 2011 and 2012 division hats.

And my reason was exactly what your wife mentioned. I'm afraid that this is going to be as good as it gets, and we will look back at these two seasons with nostalgia someday.

But we are FANS, and this is what we do. The players, on the other hand, should not celebrate division "championships" (it just kills me to call it that), but rather act like it's expected and nothing but a stepping stone. Their attitude after winning the division the last two seasons seem to indicate otherwise, though. Baby steps, I guess.
Old 01-02-2013   #29
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not to be a stickler for details, but only 8 out of 32 teams can actually win their division...
Old 01-02-2013   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Not to be a stickler for details, but only 8 out of 32 teams can actually win their division...
pretty impressive feat considering that the Colts had the top pick last year, the Jags have the second pick this year (tied with the Chiefs) and the Titans are just awful.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
He's talking about making the playoffs.

His previous sentence was "Winning the AFC South is just a playoff spot".
Old 01-02-2013   #32
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Schaub's obvious shortcomings.
I heard a great take from a caller on the radio yesterday. Really put Schaub's shortcomings into perspective.

Does he have a big arm? No.

Is he mobile, can he extend plays? No.

Is he good in the red zone? No.

Is he a great leader? No.

Is he a playmaker? No.

That's your starting quarterback.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #33
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
pretty impressive feat considering that the Colts had the top pick last year, the Jags have the second pick this year (tied with the Chiefs) and the Titans are just awful.
And thank goodness there aren't any Lucks in this upcoming draft
Old 01-02-2013   #34
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47206 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'd bet that Schaub doesn't make real "pre snap reads". He's looking for keys. He's pre programmed each week during practice and film. He's going strictly off of what he's told to do from week to week. He's not making adjustments on the fly. If you see this, do that and only that. If this guy is lined up here, this is what we're going to do...every other factor be damned.

If Matt did some real critical thinking and problem solving out there we'd see a variance in his cadence. We'd run the "sugar huddle" more often. We'd let him completely audible out of formations or plays. We don't see that. He comes up to the line, makes his robotic pre programmed read, and hikes the ball.

I don't think Matt is incapable of recognizing things before the snap. He's just not given that freedom/responsibility for some reason.
This.

Our offense is slow to setup. If the blocking isn't perfect, Schaub gets himself killed. The way I see it, Schaub's skill set simply does not suit this offense. If Kubiak can't see that, then he deserves to get his ass canned.

A QB in this offense either needs to be able to run to escape the blitz when our line misses an assignment, gets blown up, etc. or a QB with a strong arm and quick release. The ideal QB for this offense would have both of those qualities. Schaub has neither. That is the problem.

Schaub doesn't have the wheels to allow the offense the time it needs to get set. When our O-Line was dominant, it worked because everyone did their jobs. But now that the right side is inexperienced, Schaub is getting killed! Schaub also doesn't have a strong enough arm to whip the ball down the field and fit the pass into tight spots. He simply can't do it.

So what is the solution? IMO, we need to run more no huddle, have more short and intermediate passes, and start destroying our opponents with an uptempo passing offense. But that simply isn't on Kubiak's Denny's menu so it won't ever happen.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #35
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47206 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to add to my post above for everyone to just think about for a minute the QBs Kubiak has coached. Let me list some for you:

Steve Young
John Elway
Jake Plummer

The rest of the QBs he has coached have been average or below average in his time as their coach. The successful ones all had strong arms and also had decent wheels for a QB. Schaub has neither. I wonder why Schaub has been such a failure...
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read