Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you have faith in Matt Schaub?
Yes 27 19.57%
No 111 80.43%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2013   #121
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you have faith in Matt Schaub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Good fortune and not being afraid to step out on a Limb.

Colts could have kept manning and passed on luck. They could have shown loyalty to Peyton. If they'd have brought him back they'd still be good. But they wouldn't have the young stud.

On the other hand, we didn't even give a second thought to picking up Peyton this off season.

How sweet would it have been to sweep the division and win in Indy for the first time with Manning. Getting manning would have been like the reverse curse. Luck probably would have been a bust, we'd have the number 1 seed, cushing would be healthy, barwin would have more sacks and we'd be the favorite heading into the play offs this year. LOL...

But seriously...we didn't even entertain the idea of picking up Peyton friggin manning. Because we had schaub.

Big risk big reward.

But if there was ever a time to take a big risk, it was last off season when you could have gone after Peyton fukin manning.
How could Matt Schaub have a Q score of 7? The average NFL player who makes the list has a score of 15. Peyton Manning's is 32. Now, it should be noted that the study, conducted by Marketing Evaluations, Inc., was done before the season. It should also be noted that only 56 percent of sports fans from this same study even recognize Schaub.

But Schaub doesn't worry about these things. He doesn't seem fazed by much of anything. There was the time last spring when a number of teams were courting Manning, and Texans coach Gary Kubiak texted his quarterback and asked him to pick up the future Hall of Fame quarterback at the airport. Kubiak was kidding, but that's not exactly the type of thing you joke about via text. Manning was causing insecurity complexes all over the league last spring.

Schaub said he simply laughed and texted, "I'll send him back to Terminal C."

Manning doesn't fit the system!! lulz
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #122
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Totally stuck with him HOU-TEX.

That's fine. Next year we'll see what happens because we have no choice. Doesn't change the fact that this season the situation has begun to unravel. People like Schaub but people liked David Carr too. What was not to like? He was a likeable guy. They still eventually turned on him and this year Schaub's picked up a few more boo-birds. He already had a few but the wins keep them down. We roll out an 8-8 or 9-7 next year and he plays poorly, it will be on. People are pointing out issues that some of us have been worried about since he first got here.

Go one and done in the playoffs and he'll be blasted for it if it comes down to his play or some significant portion of it. He ends up being the goat in a loss and it will be take longer to fester but it will blow up tens times worse than Jacoby Jones.

Gary will stand his ground but you saw how ugly it got here when Houston was done with David Carr. It can get that ugly with Matt Schaub. It will just take a few more seasons to happen.
Old 01-02-2013   #123
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Totally stuck with him HOU-TEX.

That's fine. Next year we'll see what happens because we have no choice. Doesn't change the fact that this season the situation has begun to unravel. People like Schaub but people liked David Carr too. What was not to like? He was a likeable guy. They still eventually turned on him and this year Schaub's picked up a few more boo-birds. He already had a few but the wins keep them down. We roll out an 8-8 or 9-7 next year and he plays poorly, it will be on. People are pointing out issues that some of us have been worried about since he first got here.

Go one and done in the playoffs and he'll be blasted for it if it comes down to his play or some significant portion of it. He ends up being the goat in a loss and it will be take longer to fester but it will blow up tens times worse than Jacoby Jones.

Gary will stand his ground but you saw how ugly it got here when Houston was done with David Carr. It can get that ugly with Matt Schaub. It will just take a few more seasons to happen.
I don't know if it will take a few more seasons. People were making fun of Schaub after his baby faces he made during the Packers game. The fact that there are so many young QBs coming into the league now and having success, I think there will be a quicker backlash than when Carr was here. I still get shivers when I think of Yates scrambling for that first down in Cincy. People know Schaub does not have something like that in him. If it isn't there and the receiver isn't open, the play is over with that guy. It sucks.
Old 01-02-2013   #124
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted no, but David Carr should only be in comparative conversations to Jamarcus Russell and Tim Couch. These are historically bad QBs who contributed to the decline of their respective franchises for years.

We may have seen the best of Schaub, but we just need him to be good a couple of times - once in the playoffs. I ain't holding my breath, but I have seen wackier things happen.

Carr would never have been good in the NFL, unless they had a 7 on 7 league.
Old 01-02-2013   #125
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I voted no, but David Carr should only be in comparative conversations to Jamarcus Russell and Tim Couch. These are historically bad QBs who contributed to the decline of their respective franchises for years.

We may have seen the best of Schaub, but we just need him to be good a couple of times - once in the playoffs. I ain't holding my breath, but I have seen wackier things happen.

Carr would never have been good in the NFL, unless they had a 7 on 7 league.
Pffft! Dude would still find a way to run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage or fire a missle towards the cheerleaders or cameramen
Old 01-02-2013   #126
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I am not going to get into the whole Schaub debate but can some of the hyperbole get knocked off? AJ became just the 3rd WR in NFL history to have 3 1500+ yard seasons. I'm sure CJ will become the 4th, but c'mon he has been on that pace every single year with Schaub at QB.

Now step back from that for just a second - all the great QBs and WRs in history and AJ is the 3rd. Geez, give the guy competent and AJ's career has hardly been ruined by Schaub.
Warren Moon had beautiful stats, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
We're stuck with him either way, so we're stuck like chuck
yep. It does not matter how much or how little "faith" Texans fans have in Schaub. The simple fact of the matter is that his HC has all the faith in the world, and that's the only guy that matters. Couple that with a long-term contract, and we had better be prepared to settle in for the long haul with Schaub as our QB.

Just like the Oilers and Warren Moon.
Old 01-02-2013   #127
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Warren Moon had beautiful stats, too.

yep. It does not matter how much or how little "faith" Texans fans have in Schaub. The simple fact of the matter is that his HC has all the faith in the world, and that's the only guy that matters. Couple that with a long-term contract, and we had better be prepared to settle in for the long haul with Schaub as our QB.

Just like the Oilers and Warren Moon.
Barring an epic meltdown or major injury we've got probably two more years of Schaub absolutely starting. Then maybe we get to see someone else given a chance to genuinely compete with him.
Old 01-02-2013   #128
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

No, I don't have faith in Schaub anymore. But the reality is harsh.

Reality: Schaub is statistically better than 2/3 of the league's QBs.

Reality: Schaub performs best when his OL is working well and the running game is successful.

Reality: Schaub cannot perform well under pressure and if the OL isn't working and the running game isn't successful, he can't put the team on his back and win.

Reality: 2/3 of teams would love to have him under center.

Reality: Those 2/3 of teams would soon come to realize that he's not a winner when things start getting tough.

Reality: Elite QBs don't fall off a QB tree.

Reality: We're stuck with Matty Nice for as long as we're stuck with Kubiak.

Reality: McNair won't get rid of Kubiak for a long time.

Reality: The "Fire Kubiak" thread will grow to 6,930,902 pages long by the time all is said and done.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #129
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I said this in the gameday thread last week and I'll say it again...I defended HWNSNBM almost all the way up to the end and I don't want to look like an idiot again plus my giving a pass to an expansion franchise expired years ago so I'm a lot more quick on the trigger.

That said, I've got razor thin confidence in Schaub right now. I'll let the playoffs decide for me but this is probably it for me if he continues to $hit his panties.

Either way, as pointed out, we are stuck with him anyway. BTW, not sure if anyone realizes, that extension contract BEGINS next year lol! Nice

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #130
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Barring an epic meltdown or major injury we've got probably two more years of Schaub absolutely starting. Then maybe we get to see someone else given a chance to genuinely compete with him.
Back on Sunday that's what I said too.

We're stuck with Matt for 2013 and 2014. Period.

Only in 2015 will we see a potential change. I guess another injury to Schaub might alter that timeframe a bit, though (and no, for you flame war starters out there I don't want him hurt for the sake of a change).

How miserable is THAT? 2015. Two Thousand Fifteen. FIFTEEN.

Will I even be around to care by then?
Old 01-02-2013   #131
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Gary will go down swinging, go down with his ship, with Matt Schaub at the wheel.

100%.

Both of them will get their walking papers in a few years.

Andre Johnson will be retired by then, IMO. Or he'll move on and play elsewhere.
Old 01-02-2013   #132
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Pffft! Dude would still find a way to run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage or fire a missle towards the cheerleaders or cameramen
The funny thing is, if you put Schaub's brain into Carr's body, the Texans would have an awesome QB.
Old 01-02-2013   #133
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why people say Kubiak has complete faith in Schaub. He won't even let him throw it deep on 3rd and long.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #134
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
The funny thing is, if you put Schaub's brain into Carr's body, the Texans would have an awesome QB.
I don't even know about that. Schaub's brain is still going to misfire when the pressure comes. I mean, it's possible but I don't think his issues are entirely based on physical limitations. Other QB's have succeeded without the "laser rocket arm" we all want them to have and some QB's have succeeded without a lot of mobility. The thing though is you have to be obsessed with preparation and have incredible competitive fire to succeed without one or both plus you still need to be able to stay calm and collected under heat.

Matt is missing most of that stuff.
Old 01-02-2013   #135
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't even know about that. Schaub's brain is still going to misfire when the pressure comes. I mean, it's possible but I don't think his issues are entirely based on physical limitations. Other QB's have succeeded without the "laser rocket arm" we all want them to have and some QB's have succeeded without a lot of mobility. The thing though is you have to be obsessed with preparation and have incredible competitive fire to succeed without one or both plus you still need to be able to stay calm and collected under heat.

Matt is missing most of that stuff.
A perfect example is Peyton Manning. No matter what Manning has, he'll somehow find a way to make it work. I think he can lose his right arm, but he'll still find a way to lead his offense to a TD.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #136
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
You know, I've been thinking this as far back as '08 when used to have those Is Schaub fragile/injury prone or not "discussions". That was the one positive about Carr, he was a lot more durable than Schaub. Had a stronger arm too. IF he had just had Schaub's football IQ and a better work ethic.

For the record, I voted "no".
Pained me to do so because I've been a Schaub defender since he got here. Mainly because I was glad to see the other guy leave and I liked the study ethic Schaub brought to the table.

Also, for the record, I don't think Schaub is horrible as some of you have said. I just think he's "pretty good". Has good days and bad days. As long as we stay with Schaub, we'll have a shot at being a playoff team, but everything else has to go well too. He's not strong enough to hide a significant number of other "warts". By way of example, I point to 2010. A stellar/elite QB could have gotten us a better record than 6-10 even with that sucky defense (Brady and Rodgers did it). Schaub can be good, but not stellar or elite. He reminds me of Flacco with a less opportunistic defense.

I fear he's reached his upper performance limit. We either upgrade him or draft an All-World O-line. Maybe work on both.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read