Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2013   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No matter what happens Saturday, it's been a very Successful Year for the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
All I've ever wanted was a perennial playoff team.

It's a crapshoot after that.
We've seen teams like this in past Oiler yrs.

Screw that, it's SB or bust. It's why they keep score/give Lombadris/Rings etc... The thing is expect lees than the best and that's most likely what you will get.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No matter what happens Saturday, it's been a very Successful Year for the Texans

I liked football better when I was a kid and didn't know any better.

I watched every game not knowing that my team was going to win or lose...now, I go into every game knowing way too much information. I've analyzed football so much, for so long, that I practically know what to expect.

I still have hope, even when hope logically shouldn't be there, but the way the NFL has changed (in terms of its rules, the over-legislating of those rules, much like our country is over-legislated) has almost removed any doubt about who will win and who will lose. Sure, sometimes a rabbit gets pulled out of the hat...but you pretty much know how things are going to go down at some point along the way.

When I was a kid, those things were not an issue. I enjoyed football. Now, I just feel like it's hard labor. I'm chained to my chair and I'm working for the man. I feel like breaking out of that prison, to be honest. Why keep paying dues? What's the point? If the outcome is perpetual disdain and disgust and a realization (again and again) that I'm not in control of what will always be a disappointing outcome....then why? WHY? LOL.
Old 01-02-2013   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

It is better to have a girlfriend than not, especially if she looks pretty good. Then she starts sliding into old ways that you have seen with her and others before, so you are cautious. You keep thinking of all the money spent and dream of what could be. I know about reality, I just keep hoping the fantasy will become reality. Who knows? It happens on the Hallmark Channel.
Old 01-02-2013   #24
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
We've seen teams like this in past Oiler yrs.

Screw that, it's SB or bust. It's why they keep score/give Lombadris/Rings etc... The thing is expect lees than the best and that's most likely what you will get.
Let me try to undertand this, steelb.

You've been expecting the best, correct?

And what have you got?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Year 1 = Knock on door

Year 2 = Pound on door

Year 3 = Kick sum b!tch in

Problem is: Year 2 we rang doorbell and ran.
Actually, the problem was that the door fell and put a big bump in Bum's head.

The Oilers lost in the wild card game the third season to the Raiders 7-27.
Bum was given the pink slip.
Old 01-02-2013   #26
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2935 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTexan View Post
Yes it has been a great season!

Things we never did before:
- We won 12 games!
- Were considered the top team at times during the season. (Those first games before Cush was hurt and the offense developed a tell on run plays, we were the dominant team.)
- We beat the Ravens.
- We beat the Jets.

And as a bonus, we've still never lost to the Bears or the Dolphins.

And not the least of this list, we got to watch Watt blow up into a mega star. Andre had another 1500 yard season.

I started as a Oilers fan in the '70s; we never made it to the Superbowl, but I loved that team. I want to make it to the Superbowl, but I don't need that.
You forgot 'We finally beat the Colts in Indy!'

Oh wait...
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #27
edwardc5637
Rookie

Rep Power: 2228 edwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
This season is a failure if we do not make it past this first round. It is a failure if we get blown out against Denver or New England. If we are competitive in the second round and lose on a last second field goal, or TD then I honestly wouldn't be that upset. But, the fact that this team just pissed away the number one seed like they did would still make the overall season a big failure. Changes need to be made next year, most notably at QB. We can't have a weak-armed statue leading our team. I just heard Teddy Bruschi say that in order to beat the Texans, you must put the ball in Schaub's hands and let him beat you. That is just sad.
Totally agree with you if there is no superbowl this season is a failure.
edwardc5637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Let me try to undertand this, steelb.

You've been expecting the best, correct?

And what have you got?
Nothing but all of the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS should expect the best and nothing less because they put their heart and soul in this team. Ownership should be doing the same and held to the highest standards. Unfortunately it's business 1st and they aren't held to that standard by the fanbase.

What have we as a fanbase gotten?
Old 01-02-2013   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTexan View Post
Yes it has been a great season!

Things we never did before:
- We won 12 games!
- Were considered the top team at times during the season. (Those first games before Cush was hurt and the offense developed a tell on run plays, we were the dominant team.)
- We beat the Ravens.
- We beat the Jets.

And as a bonus, we've still never lost to the Bears or the Dolphins.

And not the least of this list, we got to watch Watt blow up into a mega star. Andre had another 1500 yard season.

I started as a Oilers fan in the '70s; we never made it to the Superbowl, but I loved that team. I want to make it to the Superbowl, but I don't need that.
This is the part of the fanbase I'm talking about. BoB wishes all Texan fans were like you.
Old 01-02-2013   #30
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The 49ers' head coach doesn't think like Gary Kubiak.

He's pulled his yearly starter in favor of an up-and-coming unproven KID.

And now Harbaugh has signed Cundiff to compete with Akers for the kicking job. I mean, what coach signs another kicker RIGHT BEFORE THE PLAYOFFS in order to push the "established" kicker? Harbaugh does.

I suddenly respect the Texans a lot LESS than I did before I read that Harbaugh is trying to do everything he can in order to shore up his team's chances in the playoffs.

What have we done? Nothing. Stick with Schaub, stick with Marciano, and not even going after Greg Knapp to help Schaub out??? Awesome.

Full steam ahead, all aboard the McNair "We're On The Right Track" Express.
Old 01-02-2013   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 346173 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Division "champions" hats for two years in a row! seriously...
Old 01-02-2013   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

When you totally and completely implode the last month of the season RIGHT after you clinch...well, let's just say that I have a different idea of what a "very successful year" is.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
All I've ever wanted was a perennial playoff team.

It's a crapshoot after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This.

I hope for the best, but beyond that, I understand the fan experience is a passive one in that we watch and they win or lose.

Expectations, demands, settling...all those words are useless because we are powerless to change a damn thing on this team.
As long as they don't underachieve.

With all the injuries, IMO, this team performs on par (they didn't underachieve.)

There's no guarantee that they will win this weekend as they are really thin at ILB; I believe Dobbins is nursing an injury.

Still, I "expect" the Texans to win; otherwise, it will be disappointing to say the least.
Old 01-02-2013   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 238286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Year 1 = Knock on door

Year 2 = Pound on door

Year 3 = Kick sum b!tch in

Problem is: Year 2 we rang doorbell and ran.
More like we rang the doorbell and then when opportunity answered, we forgot why we were standing on the porch in the first place.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #35
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Division "champions" hats for two years in a row! seriously...

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

With all the injuries, IMO, this team performs on par (they didn't underachieve.)

There's no guarantee that they will win this weekend as they are really thin at ILB; I believe Dobbins is nursing an injury.

Still, I "expect" the Texans to win; otherwise, it will be disappointing to say the least.
What do you call the last month of the season?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
When you totally and completely implode the last month of the season RIGHT after you clinch...well, let's just say that I have a different idea of what a "very successful year" is.
Which is the 2nd year in a row that we've done this. IIRC, there was seeding implications last season too before losing 3 in a row (Panthers, Colts and titans) to end the season.
Old 01-02-2013   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Nothing but all of the GREAT FANS of the HOUSTON TEXANS should expect the best and nothing less because they put their heart and soul in this team. Ownership should be doing the same and held to the highest standards. Unfortunately it's business 1st and they aren't held to that standard by the fanbase.

You can expect all you want, but unrealistic expectations most usually result in a let down... and then you go on ranting and raving... just having a miserable time is all it brings ya', honestly!
Old 01-02-2013   #39
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:

You don't think that the failure to clinch HFA, in TWO ATTEMPTS, is underachieving?

Wow.

Had we manned up and clinched HFA...and then go on to lose in the AFCC game...I would think we did a good job based on all circumstances. But not putting the Vikings and the Colts away--losing HFA--that, to me, sealed this team's fate. They've under-achieved for that fact alone.

I can't even acknowledge a win vs. the Bengals, tbh. It'll be a mirage. But honestly, I feel like the Bengals are going to punk us HARD. I think we go out in the first round this Saturday. Owen Daniels better be preparing a better "I"m shocked, I'm stunned!" face than what he sported last Sunday in Indy.
Old 01-02-2013   #40
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19254 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Which is the 2nd year in a row that we've done this. IIRC, there was seeding implications last season too before losing 3 in a row (Panthers, Colts and titans) to end the season.
Then they went into the playoffs and looked better than everyone expected.

Lets not forget this team was a play away from being in a AFCC game while playing a third string rookie QB and seemingly half the team on IR.

All things considered, they overachieved last season. Maybe they dropped seeding late in the season, but when the playoffs rolled around they showed up. So it didn't even matter.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read