Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2013   #41
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ: The offense is very much broken and Kubiak can’t rely on ‘the system’ he has

yeah, briesel and winston could get out in the open on those stretch plays and put guys down in the open field...Newton can't even get out to the sideline and block the db on a WR screen.

we're clearly not what we were up front...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #42
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Winston & Brisiel

In 2011 Eric Winston was rated 10/76 overall against all Tackles and 6th against Right Tackles. Pass Block 10th, Run Bock 3rd.
In 2010 Eric Winston was rated 12/78 overall against all Tackles and 5th against Right Tackles. Pass Block 10th, Run Block 19th.

In 2011 Mike Brisiel was rated 32/78 overall against all Guards. Pass Block 32nd, Run Bock 14th.
In 2010 Mike Brisiel was rated 15/82 overall against all Guards. Pass Block 20th, Run Bock 12th.

Both had tougher years -- expected/bad teams -- in 2012. Winston was 25/80 Tackles and Brisiel was 74/82 Guards.

*ratings from ProFootballFocus, minumum 25% of team snaps.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #43
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ: The offense is very much broken and Kubiak can’t rely on ‘the system’ he has

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Say what you want to about Briesel and Winston as pass-protectors, but both of those guys were very good run-blockers and without the rushing game the whole Texans' offense is just not nearly as effective as it was when they were in the lineup. And furthermore the Texas base-offense was virtually a 2 TE-set
and the OD/Dreesen combo was more effective than the OD/Grahmn combo.
Our offensive unit just lost too many important players in the past offseason to be as effective this year as we were in 2011.
I think, in hindsight, it was a mistake to let Winston go. Brisiel was a FA and got bigger $$$ in Oakland.

I don't know if we could have had Eric restructure to save us money. I'm not familiar with that aspect of the situation.

Brisiel was a goner because he got a nice payday elsewhere.

But if I were to pretend that both those guys were starting on our OL, I think we're a different and BETTER team right now. Just for the reason you stated: The run game would be better.
Old 01-01-2013   #44
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Omg... Reading Kubiaks after practice quotes are driving me crazy!!! Its like he has ZERO friggin clue. If I hear the words inconsistent, or ...have to be more consistent again I am going to puke.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Omg... Reading Kubiaks after practice quotes are driving me crazy!!! Its like he has ZERO friggin clue. If I hear the words inconsistent, or ...have to be more consistent again I am going to puke.
Why won't any of the "reporters" sack up and say "Would do you MEAN by 'inconsistent'?"

Rick and Gary have the reporters so scared, we'll never get anything but status quo. Zero accountability.
Old 01-01-2013   #46
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
yeah, briesel and winston could get out in the open on those stretch plays and put guys down in the open field...Newton can't even get out to the sideline and block the db on a WR screen.
I remember that play and thought to myself, " Doesn't Kubiak realize Newton can't make that play?". Was that successful in the practice?
Old 01-01-2013   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
There have been plays to be made .... Schaub simply hasnt made them.
I think so.

I think to "change the system" now would be the wrong thing to do. We need to get better at what we've been doing for the last 17 weeks. Though it's "not working" you can watch the game tape & see it's 1 dropped pass, 1 blown block, or 1 bad read away from working.

If you look at our last game against the Colts, it's not that the play book was dull & uninspired... it was that we kept shooting ourselves in the foot. Penalty after penalty. We'd take one step forward, two steps back.

If we get better doing what we do, we'll beat anybody.
Old 01-01-2013   #48
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I think so.

I think to "change the system" now would be the wrong thing to do. We need to get better at what we've been doing for the last 17 weeks. Though it's "not working" you can watch the game tape & see it's 1 dropped pass, 1 blown block, or 1 bad read away from working.

If you look at our last game against the Colts, it's not that the play book was dull & uninspired... it was that we kept shooting ourselves in the foot. Penalty after penalty. We'd take one step forward, two steps back.

If we get better doing what we do, we'll beat anybody.
What we are doing isnt working and you have to adapt. But Kubiak is just too damn stubborn or stupid.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #49
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I think, in hindsight, it was a mistake to let Winston go. Brisiel was a FA and got bigger $$$ in Oakland.

I don't know if we could have had Eric restructure to save us money. I'm not familiar with that aspect of the situation.
Yeah, it seems to me we were like hundreds of thousands below the cap going into the season? It was a shame we lost him and Dreessen. I felt like both were key.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
There have been plays to be made .... Schaub simply hasnt made them.
Yep and Schaub is Garys handpicked guy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #51
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 11446 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub int on that Casey play was a timing throw that was thrown a second too late. People is blaming Kubiak too much for his play calling when most pass execution on passing plays requires perfect timing. Schaub should've known his window have past on that route and needs to look elsewhere because a faster db was trailing Casey.

Schaub have been blasted by you guys for having a weak arm when that is totally false. Most of his under thrown passes that have occurred during his career have resulted from tardiness of his throw. The other factor is Schaub footwork in the pocket is atrocious. Other than rollout pa you never see Schaub step into a throw from a straight drop back pocket.

You watch a Manning or Brady highlights throwing the ball and compare that to Schaub. The disparity is disturbing.

I posted a bounty somewhere in this forum challenging anyone to post a video of Schaub stepping into a throw. The reward was 100 dollar thru PayPal. The closest someone got was a posted video of the Redskins game from two years ago when Schaub scramble up the pocket and threw a desperation pass on fourth down to AJ to win the game.

You have to go back over two years to find out the last time Schaub making a proper fundamental throw in the pocket. I'm utterly dumbfounded that this guy has had this many 4000 yard seasons.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Schaub have been blasted by you guys for having a weak arm when that is totally false. Most of his under thrown passes that have occurred during his career have resulted from tardiness of his throw.
Timing is certainly an issue at times.

Quote:
The other factor is Schaub footwork in the pocket is atrocious. Other than rollout pa you never see Schaub step into a throw from a straight drop back pocket.

I posted a bounty somewhere in this forum challenging anyone to post a video of Schaub stepping into a throw. The reward was 100 dollar thru PayPal. The closest someone got was a posted video of the Redskins game from two years ago when Schaub scramble up the pocket and threw a desperation pass on fourth down to AJ to win the game.

You have to go back over two years to find out the last time Schaub making a proper fundamental throw in the pocket. I'm utterly dumbfounded that this guy has had this many 4000 yard seasons.
As I understood your bounty it was for scrambling inside the pocket and then making the throw. It wasn't having to go back two years to find it but that play was easy to remember.

You're exaggerating on never steps into his throws while in the pocket - there are several examples in this video.

And I wouldn't want your bounty even if you did admit there are examples.

Maybe if you are dumbfounded you should reconsider some of your observations. Schaub has been at a 250+ ypg pace every year except for his 1st here.

For the record, I am all for upgrading Schaub if the opportunity presents itself. I am not in desperation mode anything is better.
Old 01-01-2013   #53
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 5378 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Timing is certainly an issue at times.

As I understood your bounty it was for scrambling inside the pocket and then making the throw. It wasn't having to go back two years to find it but that play was easy to remember.

You're exaggerating on never steps into his throws while in the pocket - there are several examples in this video.

And I wouldn't want your bounty even if you did admit there are examples.

Maybe if you are dumbfounded you should reconsider some of your observations. Schaub has been at a 250+ ypg pace every year except for his 1st here.

For the record, I am all for upgrading Schaub if the opportunity presents itself. I am not in desperation mode anything is better.
So your video link shows Schaub doing all the things he hasn't been doing lately. Hitting receivers in stride, throwing into double and triple coverage, moving in and stepping out of the,pocket to make plays. Which begs these questions.

Is the curtain starting to close on Matt Schaub's career? Have the injuries taken their toll? Is he still suffering ill effects from the Fat Albert injury?

One thing is apparent. The 2011 highlight video Matt Schaub looks far better than the 2012 Matt Schaub.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #54
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 12391 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ isnt really going out on a limb with his 'analysis' is he?

anybody can see that (as my son puts it) "the fat guys on the right are no good", but Arian has also been misused by Kubiak. The flare pass is almost non-existent after a year when it was a lethal weapon for this offense. forcefeeding inside handoffs for the sake of some inivisible balance is a sign of a stubborn coach. Kubiak must adapt and improvise to what the strengths of this team currently are. Tunnel vision by Schaub on Dre is not going to get it done.

Its really a complete team implosion at this point, but i've seen this offense perform substantially better against greater competition and i just dont understand what the matter is, something internally? are the texans that predictable? didnt belichick say that wade's defense wasnt anything special, and our 'special' teams are anything but. saving grace is really this team cant play any worse, or can they?
Uncle Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #55
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
Can't rely on the system and a limited qb. Schaubs better days behind him. Need three new starters on oline with no cap space? Man did the Texans peak last year? Do we fight off indi next year? Just rambling sorry
I thought when all those salary cap forced moves were made the Texans got worse. So yes, I think they peaked last year. Their record went up a bit, but with a weaker schedule and healthier team. It will be tough for the Texans to win the division next year.
Old 01-01-2013   #56
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
LZ isnt really going out on a limb with his 'analysis' is he?

anybody can see that (as my son puts it) "the fat guys on the right are no good", but Arian has also been misused by Kubiak. The flare pass is almost non-existent after a year when it was a lethal weapon for this offense. forcefeeding inside handoffs for the sake of some inivisible balance is a sign of a stubborn coach. Kubiak must adapt and improvise to what the strengths of this team currently are. Tunnel vision by Schaub on Dre is not going to get it done.

Its really a complete team implosion at this point, but i've seen this offense perform substantially better against greater competition and i just dont understand what the matter is, something internally? are the texans that predictable? didnt belichick say that wade's defense wasnt anything special, and our 'special' teams are anything but. saving grace is really this team cant play any worse, or can they?
I just finished rewatching the colts game...the gameplan really is predictable and conservative as hell.

2nd/3rd and short we're running it 90% of the time

2nd/3rd and long we're passing 90% of the time

And AJ's not being force fed the ball....At least 1/2 the time its just only him and another WR out in a route...that's it....that makes for easy defending.

The other 1/2 of the time when they send 3 or more out they're 1 read quick hitters b/c schaubs only taking 3 step drops.

They almost never challenge deeper than 15 yards unless its off play-action or when they have to......which is usually when the score's getting a little out of hand and they're running out of time...by then the defense knows this.

Kubiak has got to open the playbook and become more aggressive
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #57
Grungo_Taco
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Grungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just finished rewatching the colts game...the gameplan really is predictable and conservative as hell.

And AJ's not being force fed the ball....At least 1/2 the time its just only him and another WR out in a route...that's it....that makes for easy defending.

The other 1/2 of the time when they send 3 or more out they're 1 read quick hitters b/c schaubs only taking 3 step drops.

They almost never challenge deeper than 15 yards unless its off play-action or when they have to......which is usually when the score's getting a little out of hand and they're running out of time...by then the defense knows this.

Kubiak has got to open the playbook and become more aggressive
Kubiak makes Ronald Reagen look Liberal. Conservatism is in Kube's bones.
Grungo_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #58
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

It pretty much falls on Kubes to make the offense work. Cinci has one helluva pass rush and a very good D.

It wouldn't hurt for Phillips' D to come up with a few turnovers and quit making OK, or bad, QB's look like superstars.
Old 01-01-2013   #59
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You have to compare this to the rest of the NFL. I would say most teams are doing that.

Quote:
Are you sure about that? That would mean we're keeping three extra guys back to help protect. I heard of max protect, but that's a bit much.

Quote:

You just pretty much explained a West Coast Offense.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Winston & Brisiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
In 2011 Eric Winston was rated 10/76 overall against all Tackles and 6th against Right Tackles. Pass Block 10th, Run Bock 3rd.
In 2010 Eric Winston was rated 12/78 overall against all Tackles and 5th against Right Tackles. Pass Block 10th, Run Block 19th.

In 2011 Mike Brisiel was rated 32/78 overall against all Guards. Pass Block 32nd, Run Bock 14th.
In 2010 Mike Brisiel was rated 15/82 overall against all Guards. Pass Block 20th, Run Bock 12th.

Both had tougher years -- expected/bad teams -- in 2012. Winston was 25/80 Tackles and Brisiel was 74/82 Guards.

*ratings from ProFootballFocus, minumum 25% of team snaps.
How did Schaub rate amongst QBs during that time?

& keep in mind, I'm not saying that they weren't good, in fact, I said they had their strong points. It's only a matter of time, I think, before Newton & Jones are equally as good.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read