Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2013   #61
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dreessen, Ryans, Winston, Brisiel, Leach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah that makes sense.
I dont care about anything related to the cap 7 years ago as it has zero bearing on anything related to today - though what he inherited vs last years figure coupled with the losses we've had to take (see thread title, should we include people like dunta etc?) display mismanagement. Exonerating smith today because of anything 7 years ago makes sense to you? Thats just dumb, and suggesting he has no control over the talent kept and bought in here is even dumber. If your giving him a free pass thats exactly what your doing. This is the same guy who cut talent to sign jacoby.
Old 01-01-2013   #62
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
i have never understood how a team so close, would be so frugal. considering the texans as a franchise are what, the 5th or 6th most valuable sports franchise according to forbes? Is paying a luxury tax or giving up late round picks as a slap on the wrist really enough to make Bobby Mac become shiesty?
If we had all the guys mentioned in this thread we'd be in such a better place. hindisight is 20/20 right? only that many people were scratching their heads when all those guys were let go.

the texans = make 1 good move, but then make 5 dumb ones.
It's a hard cap dude. This is not the nba. There is no luxury tax.
Old 01-01-2013   #63
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as the OL goes , the Texans have some guys that will be FAs next year and rotate the guys in that they're grooming to take their place . That gets you a cluster real quick .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #64
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1035 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really get the point of this thread. The texans were 10-6 last season with these guys and 12-4 without them this season. Agree with another poster, all role players. Coaches just haven't been able to make adjust with the league catching up to them. OP made some interesting observations regarding the decreased production in the run game, but I think a lot of that is on Arian not running as hard. Ben Tate and Justin forsett are each averaging over 4 yards per carry, 4.3 and 5.9 respectively. Of the current issues, I don't think not retaining the players listed are one of them. Demeco Ryans was not very impactful for the eagles. This defense misses Cushing more.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #65
Grungo_Taco
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Grungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridge01 View Post
I don't really get the point of this thread. The texans were 10-6 last season with these guys and 12-4 without them this season. Agree with another poster, all role players. Coaches just haven't been able to make adjust with the league catching up to them. OP made some interesting observations regarding the decreased production in the run game, but I think a lot of that is on Arian not running as hard. Ben Tate and Justin forsett are each averaging over 4 yards per carry, 4.3 and 5.9 respectively. Of the current issues, I don't think not retaining the players listed are one of them. Demeco Ryans was not very impactful for the eagles. This defense misses Cushing more.
I agree. This thread is totally "pissing in the wind". Those guys are gone, get over it & move on.
Grungo_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #66
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungo_Taco View Post
I agree. This tread is totally "pissing in the wind". Those guys are gone, get over it & move on.
Its only pissing in a mild wind. The guys who made those choices are still here and there is a matter of accountability. Personally, I think this team misses winston's production a lot.
Old 01-01-2013   #67
Grungo_Taco
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Grungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respectedGrungo_Taco is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Its only pissing in a mild wind. The guys who made those choices are still here and there is a matter of accountability. Personally, I think this team misses winston's production a lot.
The right side of the line has been a problem. But, it seems like most texans fans have forgot about Winston's poor pass protection & untimely penalties. I miss Winston, but I don't think our offense would all of a sudden "click" if he came back. Our entire OLine is getting destroyed off the line (besides brown & brooks). It seems like having the zone blocking schema as the backbone of an nfl offense is becoming outdated. Teams are maintaining the backside cut, and the one cut lanes. We need to pass to set up the run.. and only one man can make that happen. Paging Mr. Schaub.. I repeat, Paging Mr. Schaub.
Old 01-01-2013   #68
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The right side of the line has been a problem. But, it seems like most texans fans have forgot about Winston's poor pass protection & untimely penalties. I miss Winston, but I don't think our offense would all of a sudden "click" if he came back. Our entire OLine is getting destroyed off the line (besides brown & brooks). It seems like having the zone blocking schema as the backbone of an nfl offense is becoming outdated. Teams are maintaining the backside cut, and the one cut lanes. We need to pass to set up the run.. and only one man can make that happen. Paging Mr. Schaub.. I repeat, Paging Mr. Schaub.
Teams are being way more disciplined against us...and newton cant secure the corner like winston on the stretch. As many times as i cussed winston for his false starts he always excelled there. Just thought it was dumb to make 2 changes there in the same season. And yup...there were times schaub would pass to set up the run...havent seen it lately.

The rest of the nfl has caught up with our scheme and player weaknesses. Not good.
Old 01-01-2013   #69
Grungo_Taco
Rookie

Quote:
Teams are being way more disciplined against us...and newton cant secure the corner like winston on the stretch. As many times as i cussed winston for his false starts he always excelled there. Just thought it was dumb to make 2 changes there in the same season. And yup...there were times schaub would pass to set up the run...havent seen it lately.

The rest of the nfl has caught up with our scheme and player weaknesses. Not good.
No doubt. Also, Owen Daniels has been a shell of himself the past 5-6 weeks. He's clearly playing through pain, and doing a poor job of it. Seems like Schaub goes as Daniels goes.. And right now, Schaub's safety net is not playing up to his potential due to injury. And... I put that on Kubiak. But, you know Kubes, if you are hurt and can't play... That's a one way ticket to his doghouse. Just ask Ben Tate.
Old 01-02-2013   #70
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. This thread is totally "pissing in the wind". Those guys are gone, get over it & move on.
This team has certainly moved on and well, you see the results.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #71
Grungo_Taco
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
This team has certainly moved on and well, you see the results.
If you think adding ryans, winston, brisiel (who all graded out negatively via football outsiders) would change anything.. There is nothing I can say. This team's slump begins and ends with Kubiak and Schaub. I'd put our nonexistent OLB pass rush right up there with them.
Old 01-02-2013   #72
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you think adding ryans, winston, brisiel (who all graded out negatively via football outsiders) would change anything.. There is nothing I can say. This team's slump begins and ends with Kubiak and Schaub. I'd put our nonexistent OLB pass rush right up there with them.
And if you think adding all of these guys back would not change anything then there is nothing I can say to you either...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #73
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Eshh. Pretty bold statement. Dont get me wrong, winston was no superstar in pass pro but he was a road grader in the run game. Remember the shock here after he was cut...before we had a known solution in place? Brisel vs. the committee we've had at right guard is where I have a problem with your statement. Either way I think we can all agree when you have a dominant line you dont replace multiple parts at the same time.

It's funny to read a thread 2 1/2 months later. A thread thats in the right place.

Leach and Ryans were over paid for their use here and I didn't feel like we could justify either with a cap to navigate. Briesel left voluntarily, so our opinions dont really matter here. Dreesen, ehhh. I guess Winston (and jacoby freaking jones) are the only ones I truly take issue with.
I was against giving Eric such a big contract from the beginning. I'd have much rather kept Ryans & I mentioned an injury to Cushing being the main reason. I understand the numbers don't work out, but I thought he would be interested in restructuring. At the $$ he got, I'm fine with letting him go.

I wouldn't have had a problem paying Leach, but it looked like we decided to go with Jacoby. A year later & he's gone so that decision doesn't look like such a good one either.

Long story short, I was shocked to see they cut Winston, but I wasn't upset or anxious in the slightest.
Old 01-02-2013   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Teams are being way more disciplined against us...and newton cant secure the corner like winston on the stretch.
Some of Foster's biggest runs have been to the right. I think his longest run was to the right. Sunday, the only problem I saw running to the right was when OD was there trying to block a LB.

Other than that, Newton is doing his job. Winston was stronger, I'll give you that. He probably blew people off the ball much more explosively than Newton does. I don't have any negatives on Winston in the run game, but Newton is doing his job just fine.
Old 01-02-2013   #75
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I miss both Cushing and D-Ryans the most. Watching our ILB's nowadays is like watching two monkeys f---in a football.
Old 01-02-2013   #76
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31940 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure others said it but some of these I can't hold against the team.

Brisiel, Leach, Ryan - too much salary. Brisiel was overpaid by the Raiders who now fans want gone after a piss poor season on his end. Leach got way too much for a FB who would not be on the field as much in our system. We still could have grabbed a cheaper option like we did in Vickers but oh well. Ryans was making too much too for his spot in the system. Would have been nice with Cush going down but that is hindsight and if Cush didn't get injured Ryans still would have been overpaid. Can't really calculate for injuries in such situations.

Heh with that said...I still miss the guy's leadership and his drive on the field.

Dressen - Graham has graded to be a blocker just as good or just slightly less than Dressen so there was no dropoff there. BUT...Owen Daniels can't block for crap. A double tight with Dressen and Graham would have been nice but defense would pick up on that rather easily since Daniels is the better receiving option of those.

Winston - I understand the salary issue. Only problem I had with this is they didn't even attempt to talk to him about restructure. He was definitely being overpaid but would have been nice if they attempted to some sort of communication with the guy about making his contract better for the team. I see some teams that have financial experts just for this that can make these deals happen. We don't seem to be in that same boat.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #77
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 266 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

were 23rd in the league in ypc because we can't throw the ball. Our offense is based on setting up the run with the pass, then later in the game running and setting up the pass. its' suppose to keep the defense guessing but gets really predicable when your quaterback can't throw the ball. to anyone beyone his first read.
Texan_Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #78
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 266 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
I'm sure others said it but some of these I can't hold against the team.

Brisiel, Leach, Ryan - too much salary. Brisiel was overpaid by the Raiders who now fans want gone after a piss poor season on his end. Leach got way too much for a FB who would not be on the field as much in our system. We still could have grabbed a cheaper option like we did in Vickers but oh well. Ryans was making too much too for his spot in the system. Would have been nice with Cush going down but that is hindsight and if Cush didn't get injured Ryans still would have been overpaid. Can't really calculate for injuries in such situations.

Heh with that said...I still miss the guy's leadership and his drive on the field.

Dressen - Graham has graded to be a blocker just as good or just slightly less than Dressen so there was no dropoff there. BUT...Owen Daniels can't block for crap. A double tight with Dressen and Graham would have been nice but defense would pick up on that rather easily since Daniels is the better receiving option of those.

Winston - I understand the salary issue. Only problem I had with this is they didn't even attempt to talk to him about restructure. He was definitely being overpaid but would have been nice if they attempted to some sort of communication with the guy about making his contract better for the team. I see some teams that have financial experts just for this that can make these deals happen. We don't seem to be in that same boat.
Yeah I agree with everything u said. They were all pretty much over paid and it's time to re stock. Winston was the hardest for me pretty much like everybody else. I really believe our run offense would have been better but who knows. I thought Dreesen was a great target for Schuab in the endzone but now its nobody.
Texan_Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #79
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Touchdown View Post
Yeah I agree with everything u said. They were all pretty much over paid and it's time to re stock. Winston was the hardest for me pretty much like everybody else. I really believe our run offense would have been better but who knows. I thought Dreesen was a great target for Schuab in the endzone but now its nobody.
It would have been nice to be able to retain those guys, but we can't.

It took 5 years for Dreessen to become a valid target; Graham has pretty much gotten there in 3 years.

We just can't afford nearly $3M on a second TE (and his cap hit would have been $3.3M this year.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013   #80
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Touchdown View Post
were 23rd in the league in ypc because we can't throw the ball. Our offense is based on setting up the run with the pass, then later in the game running and setting up the pass. its' suppose to keep the defense guessing but gets really predicable when your quaterback can't throw the ball. to anyone beyone his first read.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hq-vid...ffensive-flaws

He knows a little bit about passing the ball & i couldn't agree with him more by the way. All of this about Schaub is valid.........to a point..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read