Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-31-2012   #41
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Philip Rivers anyone?

Not Phil Rivers... but could anyone see us making a trade for Matt Flynn? Or even if you can't, would such a move be an upgrade to our offense?

Jeez... it's overreacting and probably a bad idea, but how much worse could we get with TJ out there? Seriously?
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #42
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105991 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

I mean, we could either suck and lose (which we're doing now) or TJ might actually spark something in this offense. Say whatever you want about his technical skills, but TJ has more spirit than Schaub. And a QB with a broken spirit = a broken offense.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #43
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

it ain't just the int's Hevry... the guy fumbles a **** ton too....15 this year alone.... about 7-8 on average....the only guy even remotely close is dirty sanchez...put that in perspective for a minute.

& a great deal more mobile? lol, have you seen this dude play hervy? He's got those dan marino brace legs and part of the reason he's throwing picks/fumbling all the damn time is he waits too late or he can't get out of the pocket fast enough and someone hits his arm......or he's just flat out gets sacked...dude isn't any more mobile than Schaub is......Now he may be a more willing runner than Schaub is...but more mobile? nah.

Last edited by Mr teX; 12-31-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #44
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Note: Statistics appear here in liberal quantities due to the fact that every time someone points out that Schaub is a problem someone leaps out with a statistic they claim proves otherwise. Well, here's how Schaub stacks up to Rivers....statistically.

And actually MEGA SWATT, Schaub looks a lot more like Romo statistically than Rivers does.

I'd love it if the Chargers fans hated their guy enough to trade him for Schaub. A lot of this Rivers criticism is blowing smoke. I'd take that guy in a heartbeat over the gimp. He's a great deal more mobile than Schaub, he's got a lot more arm too. His TD/INT is 189/81 vs Schaub's 120/70 over the same period of time and he sat for two years to Schaub's three. 3 times Rivers has finished with a QB rating over 100, Schaub has never done it and never will.

Rivers has done his business while being sacked 219 times. Schaub who we all pity so much because of the abuse he takes behind our terrible line has been sacked 151 times.

Frankly there's no comparison. One guy attacks the other team and practically bleeds desire to win while the other slogs through the plays he's given like he's calf-deep in mud.

It will never happen but all these posts ragging on Rivers are ridiculous. Rivers will get out of Norv Turner Hell and be back on top long before Matt Schaub ever figures out how to hit a WR in stride.
I really don't care about this stat or that one. Rivers, like schaub, has been the QB of team that largely underachieved, especially in the playoffs and key games. His best years he had some combination Gates, Jackson ,and LT. Seems like all the other average to good QBs I listed, made better by the players around them more than they make players better.
Old 12-31-2012   #45
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Rivers seems like a side grade to me...if not a downgrade since the guy fumbles more than a running back.

Truth is, it's going to be hard to replace Matt. I know folk think he doesn't have as much 'Fire' or whatever. Just look at the results please. I hate this 'Fire' or intensity thing. Guys don't show passion the same way.

It's like how some people say a certain basketball player has fire, some dudes are just quiet killers. Texan fans should know that with Andre Johnson on their team.

The results with Rivers and Schaub are about the same. Rivers has turned the ball over a lot more though...and that kills your team.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #46
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Throw Roethlisberger in there and check out his TD/INT ratio. 191/108. Is he a turnover machine? All of these guys are 2/1 or in that neighborhood but where things really get ugly is when they throw the pick. None of them are turnover machines but Romo is known for throwing the pick at the worst possible time. Schaub's getting there quickly.
The key separation between Big Ben and Eli and those other guys is having made keys plays in the biggest of stages. they are way more flawed than the true elite Peyton, Brady, Brees.
Old 12-31-2012   #47
ArlingtonTexan

http://forums.chargers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148

Just for kicks, I did go the Chargers' forum. some these thread topics look way too similiar to stuff on this fourm.
Old 12-31-2012   #48
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Mike Vick - 1
Tony Romo - 2
Tj Yates - 3

Rivers is a lateral move to Shaub
I would take Rivers over your 1,2, and 3.
Old 12-31-2012   #49
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6349 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Why not?

...other than we'd have to sell the farm to get him...

Do you think Rivers would have underthrown Casey like Schaub did?
You should actually watch Rivers play the last two years before commenting. Rivers has been truly horrible and he's one the biggest *******s in sports. No thanks.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #50
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Assumption that I've not seen Rivers play is incorrect. Just because I don't draw the same conclusions from what I've seen that you do....

Fumbles, Rivers has 67 Schaub has 39. Granted Rivers fumbles more. He makes more plays too. The 2012 fumble list is interesting

Fumbles
1. Philip Rivers SDG15
2. Mark Sanchez NYJ14
3. Robert Griffin III WAS12
4. Michael Vick PHI11
5. Josh Freeman TAM10
6. Andrew Luck IND10
7. Cam Newton CAR10
8. Joe Flacco BAL9
9. Colin Kaepernick SFO9
10. Ryan Tannehill MIA9

That's a mix of guys you wouldn't want and guys you would love to have. Going through the years 2004 to the present there are a lot of good QB's on that list. Rivers doesn't appear on it any more than any o the others. I think people who discount Rivers just don't like the guy and that's fine but if that's the case just say it. It's not like i would happen anyway.
Old 12-31-2012   #51
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Assumption that I've not seen Rivers play is incorrect. Just because I don't draw the same conclusions from what I've seen that you do....

Fumbles, Rivers has 67 Schaub has 39. Granted Rivers fumbles more. He makes more plays too. The 2012 fumble list is interesting

Fumbles
1. Philip Rivers SDG15
2. Mark Sanchez NYJ14
3. Robert Griffin III WAS12
4. Michael Vick PHI11
5. Josh Freeman TAM10
6. Andrew Luck IND10
7. Cam Newton CAR10
8. Joe Flacco BAL9
9. Colin Kaepernick SFO9
10. Ryan Tannehill MIA9

That's a mix of guys you wouldn't want and guys you would love to have. Going through the years 2004 to the present there are a lot of good QB's on that list. Rivers doesn't appear on it any more than any o the others. I think people who discount Rivers just don't like the guy and that's fine but if that's the case just say it. It's not like i would happen anyway.

Its not that we hate the guy...its just many of recognize that all of this talk about these other qbs we could bring in to be better than schaub all have warts and are lateral moves at best......unless they're elite talents...talents that can overcome all of our issues....we're likely to be in the same situation just addressing a different issue we have with our qb......like other fans on these teams these qbs currently play for.
Old 12-31-2012   #52
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Between him and schaub, they have some interesting looks on their faces
This picture always makes me laugh. I did find this one while looking for it, once. This is the stuff of nightmares.

C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #53
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take Rivers over Schaub.

However, that isn't and wouldn't be the kind of move that would make any big difference. The best years of Rivers are in the past. He was pretty damn good a few years ago, and all but every time I watched him his passes looked horrible which doesn't matter as long as they get there, but his play has dropped off quite a bit. I'd take Rivers over Schaub, but not by a long shot. We wouldn't be getting the Rivers from a few years ago. We'd be getting this version of Rivers that is on the decline most likely.

This is another typical thread where Schaub bashers have no real plan. There is no point at replacing Schaub unless you get a real replacement that can be our guy for a very long time. Rivers would most likely just be a stop gap QB that would prolong the process much further when he disappoints people after a season or so.

And did the OP really mention Mike Vick???

If the Texans are going to get a new QB, the best thing to happen would probably be to have a horrible season or two to find a top dog. Getting all these retread guys and other prospects with average to good potential is not a plan I'd want to go down.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #54
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

schaub without kubiak isnt in any of those guys league.. first you have to accept this. you say its a lateral move but based on talent, its not. you say they are turnover machines, well this system, is why schuab doesnt turn the ball over too much.

ask yourself, would schaub be schaub in dallas, san diego, philly? no he wouldnt..
Old 12-31-2012   #55
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take the snotty attitude for the talent. Rivers equals 3+ years of playoffs for us and a true immediate upgrade at qb. That being said, we cant afford him and no way san diegio is letting him go.
Old 12-31-2012   #56
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't mind the guys attitude at all. Fiery pricks don't bother be. What bothers me on him us his arm has looked shot at times the last two years. He loomed like he was shot putting a "P for K" on some throws. So I'm not sure he solves any issues except he is better in the fiery category and taking the pressure.
Old 12-31-2012   #57
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I don't mind the guys attitude at all. Fiery pricks don't bother be. What bothers me on him us his arm has looked shot at times the last two years. He loomed like he was shot putting a "P for K" on some throws. So I'm not sure he solves any issues except he is better in the fiery category and taking the pressure.
Ive seen a lot less of him this year admittedly, but his arm is light years better then schaub's...unless he's dislocated his shoulder, in which case they're about the same.
Old 01-01-2013   #58
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
schaub without kubiak isnt in any of those guys league.. first you have to accept this. you say its a lateral move but based on talent, its not. you say they are turnover machines, well this system, is why schuab doesnt turn the ball over too much.

ask yourself, would schaub be schaub in dallas, san diego, philly? no he wouldnt..

Yeah, b/ jake plummer, brian griese and rex grossman worked out so well for shanahan and kubes...surely the system would've help them not turn the ball over as much right?....oh wait, it didnt. Thrir biggest issues of turning the ball over still caused issues for their respective teams... Physical tools is only part of the equation...and its not even the biggest part. I also find it hilarious how u guys are so willing to give props to kubes as being someone able to coach up an alex smith, phillip rivers or god knows whatever other journeyman qb...

In any event, its pure guessing on your part that schaub couldn't be a productive qb in any of the cities u named under different coaches and systems..... but considering that andy reid had winning seasons with the likes of AJ Feeley and Jeff Garcia at various points in his tenure in Philly...i feel pretty confident that Schaub would've fared just fine there....but the reality of it is....

who the hell cares what he would be anywhere else...he's here and he's been productive.

You guys go ahead and fawn over combine measureables like san diego and countless others teams have done over the years via FA and the draft, only to set their franchises back years....i'll keep holding out for the guy that has the brain and decision making skills to play the position at an elite level...not some retread who's been in the league for more than a few years and has his own set of issues to deal with.

Bottom line is its relatively easy to upgrade at the position from garbage to good....it is consierably tougher to upgrade from good to great/ elite. The latter is where the texans are right now and none of these guys ya'll have been fawning over b/c they have better physical tools fit the bill.

Thr last guy we had at qb also had better physical tools too...didnt do whole lot for us though...
Old 01-01-2013   #59
powda
Hall of Fame

[quote=Mr teX;2094208]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post

ask yourself, would schaub be schaub in dallas, san diego, philly? no he wouldnt..[/

Yeah, b/ jake plummer, brian griese and rex grossman worked out so well for shanahan and kubes...surely the system would've help them not turn the ball over as much right?....oh wait, it didnt. Thrir biggest issues of turning the ball over still caused issues for their respective teams... Physical tools is only part of the equation...and its not even the biggest part. I also find it hilarious how u guys are so willing to give props to kubes as being someone able to coach up an alex smith, phillip rivers or god knows whatever other journeyman qb...

In any event, its pure guessing on your part that schaub couldn't be a productive qb in any of the cities u named under different coaches and systems..... but considering that andy reid had winning seasons with the likes of AJ Feeley and Jeff Garcia at various points in his tenure in Philly...i feel pretty confident that Schaub would've fared just fine there....but the reality of it is....

who the hell cares what he would be anywhere else...he's here and he's been productive.

You guys go ahead and fawn over combine measureables like san diego and countless others teams have done over the years via FA and the draft, only to set their franchises back years....i'll keep holding out for the guy that has the brain and decision making skills to play the position at an elite level...not some retread who's been in the league for more than a few years and has his own set of issues to deal with.

Bottom line is its relatively easy to upgrade at the position from garbage to good....it is consierably tougher to upgrade from good to great/ elite. The latter is where the texans are right now and none of these guys ya'll have been fawning over b/c they have better physical tools fit the bill.

Thr last guy we had at qb also had better physical tools too...didnt do whole lot for us though...
Wow. Funny how guys you mentioned like plummer,grossman, and greise all lead their teams to playoff victories despite being such miserable qbs (they were all 2nd tier/ 3rd tier talents to.) Schaub has yet to do that, so dont crown him. If you wanna talk about measurables and why people are ape**** for them go watch schaub on a deep pass or a bootleg...and it might make more sense to you.

Philip Rivers is anything but a journey man. For any doubters out there, take 30 seconds to look up his stats or watch a handfull of games before making such asinine comments.
Old 01-01-2013   #60
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

i would settle for a lateral move if the guy they brought in didnt have a tendency to disappear at the most inopportune times..

tex, idgaf what argument you provide to prove schaub is good enough to qb a super bowl winning team. i dont believe he is good enough. there are no number of stats, past situations that will make me believe in this guy. he is surrounded by so much talent and he is the weak link of this team. so while you provide arguments for beefing up the o-line, building elite defenses, and bolstering WR corps. i would rather cut ties and move forward.. we have a team on the cusp that will always be crippled as long as schaub is the qb..

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read