Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2012   #41
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Before the season, if someone gave you 12-4, you would've been ecstatic right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans would have been better off winning one of their last two games and securing home field and a bye. If you told me before the season that the team would blow that opportunity, I would not have been ecstatic.
I would've said something to the effect of "Sounds about right."

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #42
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Before the season, if someone gave you 12-4, you would've been ecstatic right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
And the city was pumped about that 12-4 team, because they started off 1-4 and then won 11 straight to end the season. This team reversed that, so people feel about this team the way they felt about those Oilers after 5 games. Timing matters.
It just goes to show you that the regular season doesn't matter when it comes to the playoffs as I continue to say the past few weeks. Every year we see this...whether it is a team that barely snuck into the playoffs that ends up going to the superbowl...or it's a #1-2 seed losing a game they supposedly shouldn't lose...

The #1 seed doesn't always even win the superbowl any ways so people should accept that they had a great regular season and hope that they turn it around for the playoffs.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #43
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Agreed.

Can't believe some people think this is equal to being some loser team. Yeah you're not as mad about it you know why? Because the team sucks and anything good they do is a improvement. They can only get better.
Because both seasons end the same way: with losses. If you want me to be happy, or happier, about 12-4 where our draft position is going to suck because we won't have the opportunity to get that game changing player that is typically available in the top 10, well you have another thing coming.

After 2-14, we had the #1 pick to look forward to. We had hope about the future of our football team. Asking me to be happy about 12-4 is like asking me to be happy about the 12-4 Oilers that got spanked by Joe Montana. If you are asking me to be a stat geek, then sure I'm happy with good numbers. But if you are talking to me as a football fan, 12-4 or 2-14 makes no difference to me if the team looks to be headed down the toilet either way.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #44
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
And the city was pumped about that 12-4 team, because they started off 1-4 and then won 11 straight to end the season. This team reversed that, so people feel about this team the way they felt about those Oilers after 5 games. Timing matters.
yep, I remember it well. And I'd like to point out to all the chumps spewing nonsense about Houston fans that we went crazy for that 12-4 team the season after they gave us the 35-3 meltdown.

Broke our hearts and crushed our souls and we still lined up for more. Same thing we will do next August when a new football season rolls around.
Old 12-31-2012   #45
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yep, I remember it well. And I'd like to point out to all the chumps spewing nonsense about Houston fans that we went crazy for that 12-4 team the season after they gave us the 35-3 meltdown.

Broke our hearts and crushed our souls and we still lined up for more. Same thing we will do next August when a new football season rolls around.
Yep. Houston is such a terrible city with such horrible fans...
Old 12-31-2012   #46
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
The bottom line is this team consistently shat their panties down the stretch and look like maggot infested dog $hit laying in the hot sun for 5 days.

I don't give a God damn about 12-4 and "The best record the Texans have had" as many people will try to say (not calling anyone out, just general statement) to put a feel good spin on things.

I trust the eyes in my effing skull and they tell me right now this team blows donkey balls right now.....PERIOD.

Of course I still love the team and will drunkenly fool myself into being excited about our game next week and waste money at the bar to see it all happen but damn, right now, top to bottom, this sucks. It's hard to cover this pile of $hit up with roses right now.

Reality sux.
Damn it, if you would just tell us how you really feel, it would be so much easier to understand your point......show some passion.......

Old 12-31-2012   #47
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
It just goes to show you that the regular season doesn't matter when it comes to the playoffs as I continue to say the past few weeks. Every year we see this...whether it is a team that barely snuck into the playoffs that ends up going to the superbowl...or it's a #1-2 seed losing a game they supposedly shouldn't lose...

The #1 seed doesn't always even win the superbowl any ways so people should accept that they had a great regular season and hope that they turn it around for the playoffs.
Wouldn't that be the story -the Texans find some and end up winning out and win a superbowl
Old 12-31-2012   #48
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA SWATT View Post
Wouldn't that be the story -the Texans find some and end up winning out and win a superbowl
I'd be "ecstatic" to bring the BBQ sauce for that big bowl of crow for me to eat.

I pray that I have to eat my words.

I hope to god and the mythical football gods that I look like a disbelieving fool for ever doubting this team.

But...I know better. This team is playing ball like the 2006 Texans right now. My eyes have witnessed, and my hope and prayers cannot overcome the reality that is slapping us in the face.
Old 12-31-2012   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow how the mood of the old MB has changed since my comments about quality of play being more important than wins.
Old 12-31-2012   #50
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be estatic if you told me they would be 12-4 before the season started. But the last few games, they have lost any swagger, esp after the patriots game. To me they are mentally beat. Just like when Eddie George got rocked by Ray Lewis. Not the same player after that. We arent the same team after the Patriots.

What I have learned is that when the question arises next time, my response will be... how are we playing toward the end of the year?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #51
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Because both seasons end the same way: with losses. If you want me to be happy, or happier, about 12-4 where our draft position is going to suck because we won't have the opportunity to get that game changing player that is typically available in the top 10, well you have another thing coming.

After 2-14, we had the #1 pick to look forward to. We had hope about the future of our football team. Asking me to be happy about 12-4 is like asking me to be happy about the 12-4 Oilers that got spanked by Joe Montana. If you are asking me to be a stat geek, then sure I'm happy with good numbers. But if you are talking to me as a football fan, 12-4 or 2-14 makes no difference to me if the team looks to be headed down the toilet either way.
Well I'd rather be in the playoffs then get a draft pick in the NFL. Every single time.

You can find stud players in the 2nd round...forget a top 10 pick. How many of those pan out? How have the Browns fared for their top ten pick? Maybe about 3 of the top 10 players actually become just pro-bowl players. Some bust out completely. A lot do. Draft is a crapshoot, you can find all-pro players in any round. You seriously would rather have a 2-14 team over a 12-4 team headed into the playoffs?

The team is headed down the toilet? That remains to be seen, You're looking far too ahead to say something like that...and then judging an offseason that has not happened yet.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #52
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Let me add, there should probably be this on all of my posts:

Disclaimer: Wounds from the recent shellacking by one of the worst defenses in the league and a rookie quarterback can cause bouts of overreaction and exaggeration. Posts may or may not be an accurate reflection of the user's views and/or opinions.
Old 12-31-2012   #53
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I made the prediction we'd go 12-4 before the season started. Fans aren't angry about the record, they're angry because we've lost 3 of the last 4 games headed into the playoffs and lost home field advantage in the process.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #54
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Wow how the mood of the old MB has changed since my comments about quality of play being more important than wins.
Yes, but back then mediocre play was being spun to near elite status in paroxysms of fandom. This year they actually played some elite football before a collapse back to mediocrity.

Most of the "but ifs" from three or four years ago have been addressed through the Smithiak master plan. This team is the result - a great regular season until each game became important (for home field advantage), then wilting under pressure. We've all seen this before; they just push the statement game out a little each year.

Incrementally.
Old 12-31-2012   #55
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 112235 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWin View Post
Funny how things work out...
Looking at the schedule BEFORE the season, I thought potential losses @Broncos, possibly @Jets, Packers, Ravens, @Bears, @Patriots... so if someone gave me 12-4 before the season, I'd be ECSTATIC.

Well, fast-forward to now... would we be better off at 10-6 (record based on above thoughts) going into the playoffs winning our last 3 games by blowouts with all cylinders firing?

Dolphins
@Jags
@Broncos
Titans
@Jets
Packers
Ravens
Bills
@Bears
Jags
@Lions
@Titans
@Patriots
Colts
Vikings
@Colts
Didn't read the thread. No. Our team sucks.
Old 12-31-2012   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Yes, but back then mediocre play was being spun to near elite status in paroxysms of fandom. This year they actually played some elite football before a collapse back to mediocrity.

Most of the "but ifs" from three or four years ago have been addressed through the Smithiak master plan. This team is the result - a great regular season until each game became important (for home field advantage), then wilting under pressure. We've all seen this before; they just push the statement game out a little each year.

Incrementally.
My post was about this season not comments prior to 2012. IMO this has not been a great year with elite play. It has been a season with several Ws but some pretty questionable play in almost every game. We are not as good as I thought we were.
Old 12-31-2012   #57
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am big win as games as possible no matter when, where or how guy, so I will take 12-4 and get into the tournament every single year. going from 11-1 in control your fate to 12-4 with no bye and a total team meltdown is about as stinky as that record can get though.
Old 12-31-2012   #58
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I would be estatic if you told me they would be 12-4 before the season started. But the last few games, they have lost any swagger, esp after the patriots game. To me they are mentally beat. Just like when Eddie George got rocked by Ray Lewis. Not the same player after that. We arent the same team after the Patriots.

What I have learned is that when the question arises next time, my response will be... how are we playing toward the end of the year?
The bold part is something I stated a couple of times earlier in the season and maybe even before the season got started. My idea of an ideal regular season is you start slow and finish fast. I thought the team would hit its stride by week 13 or 14 and we would peak in towards the end of the season and not in the beginning of the season. The team is going backwards now with too many leaks to fix in a couple of days. The best they can hope for us is that they focus in on 1 or 2 things and REALLY work on it and hope for the best.
Old 12-31-2012   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Didn't read the thread. No. Our team sucks.
I think the emotions of what was lost is just too strong right now.

Our team doesn't suck. We're not playing well right now. We haven't played a complete game but maybe twice this season, but managed to win 12 games. In light of what could have been, I understand the disappointment expressed here.

I understand all the, "Same 'ole Kubiak" talk, the "Same 'ole Texans" "Same 'ole Houston choke" thing. I really do.

But this isn't over yet.
Old 12-31-2012   #60
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
But this isn't over ...
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
... yet.
Correct.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read