Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you have faith in Matt Schaub?
Yes 27 19.57%
No 111 80.43%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2012   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Do you have faith in Matt Schaub?

Yes or no, simple question.

As a follow up, when did you lose that "faith" ?

I'm just trying to get a feel here. I don't believe the attitude towards Matt is as bad as what is being represented today. But I don't know if a lot of people recently changed their mind, or if all his supporters just don't feel like participating today.

I'll tell you where I'm at. I think Matt is capable. He's shown us, imo, that he can play at the level required to take us where we want to go. I've been puzzled as to why we haven't seen him play at that level recently.

That's the short story. If you want to get into my reasoning I'll be happy to share.
Old 12-31-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you have faith in Matt Schaub?

lol...no
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Not behind that offensive line that didn't show up to play on Sunday.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #4
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Even when given time he still under throws or over throws his guys. And there is that deal where he has time and still freaks out like he is under pressure and folds up like a taco. Maybe the denver hit gave him PTSD or something but it is just sad to watch him at this point.
Old 12-31-2012   #5
Goodwrench3
All Problems

Section: Online Stream
Rep Power: 10423 Goodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I trust in Schaub.I think he's feeling the pressure of his first playoff game.when our o-line was good, he played well.
Goodwrench3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #6
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Faith????
Faith in him as a great human being, NO Doubt a resounding YES
Faith in him being average or above as a QB yes
Faith in him getting us to the SB Not really, too many physical liabilties which I don't see improving as he gets older
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #7
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench3 View Post
I trust in Schaub.I think he's feeling the pressure of his first playoff game.when our o-line was good, he played well.
Like in OT against baltimore, or Arizona a few years back, or like the jags game this year in OT and the Lions game this year in OT. The defense has bailed this team out over and over the last 2 years. They don't always give the offense a short field like they were to start the season I'm not so sure we are 12-4.

Our defense started the season as turnover machines, not anymore and we are now seeing that without a short field the offense is average or below at best.
Old 12-31-2012   #8
Bearkat Texan
Rookie

I have no faith in this guy at all...and he isn't going anywhere anytime soon....
Bearkat Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I was one of those people clamoring for the Texans to go get Schaub, even before anyone thought it was possible. People just kept telling me it couldn't happen, and I accepted that. So when they got him, I was happy. Thought he was going to be worth the price they paid. We'll see what happens in the playoffs, but I feel pretty wrong.

I started to waver on him two or three years ago - whichever one where the offense scored 7 or fewer points in the first half for most of the season. Lots of other people kept pointing out what a great job he was doing int he second half, putting up a ton of yards, and I just kept noticing he was facing a bunch of soft underneath defense and putting his team in a hole to get to that situation. Since that time, I've noticed specific shortcomings a lot more.

When the man rolls out, has all the time in the world, sets his feet and launches a pass downfield that comes up woefully short of AJ (and this week James Casey), all the prior underthrows over the years, dating back to the very first 70-some yard TD to AJ vs KC, come back to my memory. He doesn't have the arm. He doesn't have mobility. He doesn't have the demeanor to rally his guys. He doesn't have the pre-snap recognition that a QB of his experience should have. And lately, he has really developed a couple tendencies that David Carr developed when he played behind a crappy OL. You can blame the OL if you want, but he folds under pressure.

I have no faith in Matt Schaub. Couple that wirth my complete lack of faith in Kubiak and you can start to understand why I have no faith the Texans will go to the Super Bowl this year. I'm hoping and praying they do. I'm doing all my silly pre-game superstitions. I'm living and dying on every play. But rationally, I have no confidence they'll pull it off. It's the difference between heart and head for me.
Old 12-31-2012   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I was one of those people clamoring for the Texans to go get Schaub, even before anyone thought it was possible. People just kept telling me it couldn't happen, and I accepted that. So when they got him, I was happy. Thought he was going to be worth the price they paid. We'll see what happens in the playoffs, but I feel pretty wrong.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I didn't know a whole lot about Shammy, but I remember going out to those first few open practices.

I was impressed with what I saw.

I don't think I ever overrated him, but I was initially happy with him as a starter but a lot of that had to do with the fact that we were fresh off David Carr. Hell, we were clamoring for Sage to start at the time.

But regarding Schaub, I gave gave him the benefit of the doubt through the first few season...injuries..bad players around him...

But the faults of his were still evident.

Now, I see him as a guy that would make a really good back up QB. But he's not being paid like that, so I just think we are in a tough spot.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #11
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4036 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston we have a Schaublem.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #12
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

No, and yesterdays game sealed it. The last few years he has shown that he can't handle big games. I've continued to be a staunch supporter of him, though, and often have taken flak for it at work or with friends. But this 2nd 1/2 of the season has been pathetic, and I think most of it falls on him.

I honestly feel like that was a wake up call for me yesterday. Always admitted that he struggles when we need him the most, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. He has either under thrown or over thrown his receivers all year. He's an above average QB at best.

Though I'd want nothing to do with a player like Romo for Flacco, I can now say that I would take Alex Smith over Schaub in a heartbeat. Same with Rivers. Like others have said, though, we are probably stuck with him for another couple of years, and Yates is NOT the long term answer. Problem I have is that I think the 1st two rounds of the upcoming draft need to be right side of Oline, and bpa between WR and QB.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no faith in Matt Schaub and the shortcomings of the OL only partially factor into that. There are plenty of QB's in the NFL who don't play behind dominant OL's. We have some kind of ongoing expectation that unless our QB is getting 5 seconds to make up his mind where to throw the ball our OL is somehow a disaster. QB's make plays behind questionable lines all over the league. The good ones make those hungry defenses pay. Schaub almost never does these days.

He chokes and that's not an opinion. It's a fact. His entire history as a starter is littered with one choke after another in big games. Time to find another QB and time for Matt to go backup somebody.

And Scourge is right, it's time to draft linemen because Schaub is not going to have us drafting in the high 20's in 2013 and 2014. Get the linemen now and start hunting for the QB after that. We'll be drafting high enough to get a good one.
Old 12-31-2012   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I was one of those people clamoring for the Texans to go get Schaub

I started to waver on him two or three years ago
Thanks for your candor. Do you think there are more like you?
Old 12-31-2012   #15
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13530 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I have no faith in Matt Schaub and the shortcomings of the OL only partially factor into that. There are plenty of QB's in the NFL who don't play behind dominant OL's. We have some kind of ongoing expectation that unless our QB is getting 5 seconds to make up his mind where to throw the ball our OL is somehow a disaster. QB's make plays behind questionable lines all over the league. The good ones make those hungry defenses pay. Schaub almost never does these days.

He chokes and that's not an opinion. It's a fact. His entire history as a starter is littered with one choke after another in big games. Time to find another QB and time for Matt to go backup somebody.

And Scourge is right, it's time to draft linemen because Schaub is not going to have us drafting in the high 20's in 2013 and 2014. Get the linemen now and start hunting for the QB after that. We'll be drafting high enough to get a good one.
5 seconds? Exaggerate much? Yeah, thought not.
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #16
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I've noticed the under throws too and coupled with his lack of mobility and total inability to make a play when the play breaks down makes me question his ability to take this team anywhere.
Old 12-31-2012   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Thanks for your candor. Do you think there are more like you?
I hope so, because my shift in opinion is completely based off what my eyes have seen. All too often, especially at the QB position, stats don't tell the story. His 4700 yard season was fluky and everyone knew it. It's why no one in the national media really gave it much run. The team was playing behind all the time, so they faced some "bend but don't break" defenses in the second half, allowing him to pile up some yards. And they were behind because he was atrocious in the first half. They've always struggled in the red zone, and the best success they've had there was based on Foster, not Schaub.

I didn't lose faith in the guy because he egged my car or something; I just watched every snap the man played for six years now. *shrug*
Old 12-31-2012   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I started to waver on him two or three years ago - whichever one where the offense scored 7 or fewer points in the first half for most of the season. Lots of other people kept pointing out what a great job he was doing int he second half, putting up a ton of yards, and I just kept noticing he was facing a bunch of soft underneath defense and putting his team in a hole to get to that situation. Since that time, I've noticed specific shortcomings a lot more.

When the man rolls out, has all the time in the world, sets his feet and launches a pass downfield that comes up woefully short of AJ (and this week James Casey), all the prior underthrows over the years, dating back to the very first 70-some yard TD to AJ vs KC, come back to my memory. He doesn't have the arm. He doesn't have mobility. He doesn't have the demeanor to rally his guys. He doesn't have the pre-snap recognition that a QB of his experience should have. And lately, he has really developed a couple tendencies that David Carr developed when he played behind a crappy OL. You can blame the OL if you want, but he folds under pressure.

I have no faith in Matt Schaub. Couple that wirth my complete lack of faith in Kubiak and you can start to understand why I have no faith the Texans will go to the Super Bowl this year. I'm hoping and praying they do. I'm doing all my silly pre-game superstitions. I'm living and dying on every play. But rationally, I have no confidence they'll pull it off. It's the difference between heart and head for me.

Bringing Schaub here was a good move. Carr was done and admittedly we now know that we had roughly the equivilent of Schaub in Rosenfels (ok, maybe Sage was a bit more of a risk taker) but we didn't know that at the time. Many people thought they'd seen future potential in Schaub, not just Kubiak. You have to turn that stone over and take a look and we did.

Didn't pan out the way we thought, time to move on.
Old 12-31-2012   #19
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always been a Matt Schaub supporter. He's on the team I root for. I support all the players on my team. I've never been a Matt Schaub fan though. I do think Schaub is good enough to win a Superbowl if the team around him (especially oline, defense & special teams) are really dominant. Last year the team fit that description. This year it doesn't. I just don't see Schaub "taking over" a game and winning it by himself. He's more likely to lose a game with a poor throw at the wrong time.

The Texans need a QB that has more. TJ Yates is not as good as Schaub yet he took over games and won them last year. I do believe in Kubiak & his system but...if Kubiak can't see that Schaub is holding this team back then they both need to go.

All that said, I doubt we have any better options for next season. Would any of us be willing to let Schaub go (trade or release) and go with TJ Yates or some other option (Michael Vick, Matt Flynn...)?
Old 12-31-2012   #20
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is garbage, Im driving the Yates for qb in 2013 train.....ALL ABOARD

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read