Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-31-2012   #1
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18240 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Philip Rivers anyone?

That seems to be the only QB besides Vick that could be available for next year. It seems San Diego is ready to start over. I was looking at the contract status for Rivers vs Schaub.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego...philip-rivers/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/matt-schaub/

He is more expensive than Schaub, and it appears that Schaub's contact is more friendly dollar wise for the next two years. Given that would you want to trade for a 31 year old QB that is more mobile and has a better arm than than current 31 year old QB? Or do you suck it up for the next two years and hope to draft or trade for a QB? I don't see how it makes sense to pay Schaub $17million in 2015 if those numbers are right.

To me, IMHO, could have some left in the tank and a change could do him good. He seems to have more of leadership quality than Schaub but more of a douche attitude at times like Cutler. I would do a 2013 2nd round and 2014 2nd round and rework his contract for the rest of his 3 years, maybe extend to 4 years. Probably wouldn't happen, but I would try it. But then again, maybe that is why I am not a GM.

What do yall think? Would you try to go after Rivers?
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #2
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10263 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Philip Rivers anyone?

been bringing up rivers name in every post about getting a new qb.
Old 12-31-2012   #3
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1491 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd do it, I don't even care that he's a worthless human being.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #4
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 35273 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

Nooooooo...
Old 12-31-2012   #5
MistaRed
All Pro

Rep Power: 13090 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be okay with it. He doesn't play scared.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #6
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes please. His team fell apart around him due to a crappy GM and he's a fiery guy who could light a fire under our guys when needed.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #7
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

No way in hell the chargers get rid of rivers. No coach with any credentials like a cowher or gruden will come into a situation not knowing who their qb is. I think most coaches would agree that rivers is a top talent and can be a top 5 qb if he is on his game.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2012   #8
AndyWin
Nguyenning

Rep Power: 15483 AndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respected

Won't happen but I would accept this with open arms. Rivers at least plays with emotion, passion, and has a sense of leadership
AndyWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #9
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Highly doubtful Rivers goes anywhere. He had little in the way of weapons this season and still was decent out there. He is the one thing that could lure a prime coaching candidate to that job so getting rid of him would be a heavy risk.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i would say yes cause i like Phill but my head says lets spend the money else were and just stick wit schaub if he plays bad next year just start yates but i do agree

we do need to find a young new QB and maybe a vet stop gap QB
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
No way in hell the chargers get rid of rivers. No coach with any credentials like a cowher or gruden will come into a situation not knowing who their qb is. I think most coaches would agree that rivers is a top talent and can be a top 5 qb if he is on his game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Highly doubtful Rivers goes anywhere. He had little in the way of weapons this season and still was decent out there. He is the one thing that could lure a prime coaching candidate to that job so getting rid of him would be a heavy risk.
They pretty much summed up how I feel. Rivers is the main drawing card to get a quality replacement coach for Norv T.

Since Rivers is still under contract, that means a trade would have to be worked. What would we have to give up to get him?? A 1st and several 2nds? Multiple 1st rounders?? This would smack of a desperation move so the SD GM would be bargaining from a position of strength. I understand wanting to make a move, but finding someone in the draft would be more sensible and less costly.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #12
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

rivers may be the only QB with a weaker arm than schaub in the league.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #13
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good God. No way.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #14
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Good God. No way.
Why not?

...other than we'd have to sell the farm to get him...

Do you think Rivers would have underthrown Casey like Schaub did?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #15
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Why not?

...other than we'd have to sell the farm to get him...

Do you think Rivers would have underthrown Casey like Schaub did?
I don't think he is very good and I cannot STAND him at all attitude/personally. Makes very poor decisions with the ball extremely often. Romo-esque. You might say "Schaub-esque" too, but Rivers is definitely more high-risk, Favre-like. He might be able to make the throws, but he makes way more bad throws than Schaub does. And this is from me, the originator of "Schaub's ****ty Throw of the Game (tm)"
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #16
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Tim Tebow anybody ...????/ LOL

i tell u this our run game will deff get better
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #17
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 4153 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Philip Rivers has big time leadership skills, courage, and tenacity needed to be a big time NFL QB. A few years back he was in the elite class of QBs according to most NFL analysts. Rivers has the talent and personality to hold his own in a duel against another elite QB. Schaub doesn't. He played in the AFC Championship Game with basically 1 leg. I think he tore his ACL and STILL gutted it out. What I remember is how he played the entire game and LT who was also less severely injured did not take 1 snap in the game that gets you to the Super Bowl.

Unfortunately, we have an extremely stubborn coach and while dumping Schaub for Rivers is justified an any football metric, Kubiak will close his ears and shout "I'm not listening". We should have went after Peyton Manning but didn't because of Kubiak
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #18
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is a better QB than Rivers.

They have the same weaknesses but Schaub is the better decision maker and student of the game.

He also has the superior crazy face:

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

If you don't have an elite QB (and we don't by any means) and you have the opportunity to improve the position you do it so long as the asking price matches the quality of QB you are getting.

Something wont figure out until he is unemployed.
Old 12-31-2012   #20
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Vick - 1
Tony Romo - 2
Tj Yates - 3

Rivers is a lateral move to Shaub
Uncle Rico is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read