Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2012   #1
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What do you see next year and beyond for the Texans

Here's mine:
First I want to state I think all the Texans and staff are great human beings and all below is not a personal attack.

Stuck with Smith/Kubiak for at least 3 years because they are really great guys. We will be told 12-4 is the next step to the SB but as some know, more now than 4 games ago, this team is going in the wrong direction.

Smith has been made out to be some wizard but I think in the biggest decision he had was to not trade Mario and get value. The Cowboys build a dynasty by trading Walker and we get basically nothing for Mario. I know we would not have gotten any where near what the Cowboys got but we might have gotten enough cap space to keep our Oline and maybe a 2nd or 3rd draft choice. Also we extended Matt before seeing him play out the season. We are now stuck with him not just because of the contract but because Kubiak is going nowhere. Due to the great management of the salary cap by the wizard we really can't do much next year to really improve.

We may be told again for the 3rd year that our WRs of the future are on the team now. What is the real answer to our present WRs other than Walter and AJ. I think they are knowns. Walter is a 3rd if you want to be nice and Aj is still very good but getting older. Are our other current WRs (a) no good, (b) not getting good coaching (c) Ok but our all pro QB won't go to them because he is only focused on the others

Our Oline has a chance of maybe getting better next year.

Our RBs are above average but I do think Foster has lost some of the fire or should I say dedication during the offseason to be great like last year. A lot may be due to line play but???

TE average to above average.

Our offense at the skill positons are not quick and explosive but some of that may be due to our QB .

I see Matt as the QB for the next couple or more years barring injury because I don't see Kubiak leaving. Matt and Kubes tied at the hip as someone else said. With Matt at QB I could see the Texans contending for a playoff spot for the next couple of years with no real chance to be in the SB. Matt is OK during the season but when the teams get better in the playoffs he is just too limited physically to make the offense effective. With him many things we may want to do on offense we can't because he can't.

With this future for the offense i am not sure it matters what the defense's future is. Could be better, could be the same, or could be worse. It needs to be GREAT for the Texans to be competitive during the season. Once the playoffs start I am afraid great may not be good enough with our offense as I see it.

I see a change in FO/coaching in three to four years.

I think we will compete for a wild card spot behind the Colts after next year. I think it will be back to the same old fight for the playoffs after next year. I think we may be able to win the division once more if all goes well.

Someone else give me their take and raise my hopes.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #2
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What do you see next year and beyond for the Texans

I believe we will get a compensatory pick for Mario. Trades are just not what they used to be with the way Free agency is structured.

We need an o line. I am less concerned about WRs. If we are unable to get a running game going, we are going to have a lot of seasons with the worst 3rd down conversion percentage and struggles in games. O line upgrade needs to happen.

I believe Quin is a FA. We will either need to resign (expensive) or move someone to FS or get a FS in the draft. Right now we probably need a OLB to replace Barwin because we probably won't resign him unless he takes a pay cut.

This team will need to reload some of its players depending on who we let walk. But right now our O line is my #1 priority.

We get an o line I think we are going to get a #1 seed next year.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #3
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what's depressing? Matt S. will be a yr older, less mobile, less accurate, less resilient and more likely to lay down on any amount of contact. AJ, OD, AF all one yr older.
The only positive I can think of is Brian Cushing coming back at hopefully 90% or better.

Will we lose Watt eventually like Mario Williams hmmm?
Old 12-30-2012   #4
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub plays like he has the last few weeks on Saturday, there better be a qb competition next season.....THERE BETTER BE
Old 12-30-2012   #5
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
If Schaub plays like he has the last few weeks on Saturday, there better be a qb competition next season.....THERE BETTER BE

If we are going to have a QB competition we need someone signed capable of being a starter. If you are talking about Yates I don't think that kid has what it takes to be a starter. The turnover issue he has shown just are too much for anyone to trust their seasons hopes on his shoulders.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #6
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
If we are going to have a QB competition we need someone signed capable of being a starter. If you are talking about Yates I don't think that kid has what it takes to be a starter. The turnover issue he has shown just are too much for anyone to trust their seasons hopes on his shoulders.
lol im not gettin into this again right now, lets wait and see how Matt performs
Old 12-30-2012   #7
arb729
Veteran

Rep Power: 419 arb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respected

Since you all are in B12 territory, how do we feel about Collin Klein? Not to come in and start right away, but as a mid-late rounder. Theoretically speaking Kubiak is a QB coach, and most of what I've seen and read about Klein are that his problems lie with his mechanics. This is the new breed of QB in the league, like it or not.. Could even reinvent the offense like SF and Wash have done.

Just a thought..
arb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2012   #8
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by arb729 View Post
Since you all are in B12 territory, how do we feel about Collin Klein? Not to come in and start right away, but as a mid-late rounder. Theoretically speaking Kubiak is a QB coach, and most of what I've seen and read about Klein are that his problems lie with his mechanics. This is the new breed of QB in the league, like it or not.. Could even reinvent the offense like SF and Wash have done.

Just a thought..
Klein is not an NFL QB he has an arm worse than Schaub.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #9
arb729
Veteran

Rep Power: 419 arb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
Klein is not an NFL QB he has an arm worse than Schaub.
this is why i ask those who know
arb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #10
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

If we're lucky, we'll win 10 games next season. That's what we have to look forward to next year and beyond under the current regime and system.
Old 12-30-2012   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

8-8, 7-9. constantly finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #12
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=MEGA SWATT;2093202]You know what's depressing? Matt S. will be a yr older, less mobile, less accurate, less resilient and more likely to lay down on any amount of contact. AJ, OD, AF all one yr older.
The only positive I can think of is Brian Cushing coming back at hopefully 90% or better.

Will we lose Watt eventually like Mario Williams hmmm?[/QUOTE]

Wont happen...at least I like to think not.

Watt is LOADS better than Mario ever was. Higher motor. Same size. Stronger. Faster. Not injury ridden.

Watt is a guy you hang on to and pay. He is the guy we will build our defense around for the next ten years. If we let Watt walk a la Mario, I will be reconsidering the amount of time, emotion, and money I put into the Texans as I wouldn't think they truely want to win.
Old 12-30-2012   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by arb729 View Post

Just a thought..
Klein throws a very catchable ball. And by "catchable" i mean a baby could catch it without hurting his cute little baby hands.

What I'm saying is if you're tired of Schaub's noodle arm, Collin Klein ain't going to make you forget about it.
Old 12-30-2012   #14
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

12-4 again in '13
Old 12-30-2012   #15
AMartin56
Veteran

Rep Power: 2934 AMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respectedAMartin56 is a quality contributor and well respected

Go after Cousins from the Redskins.
AMartin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #16
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well they definitely aren't trending up. The only other way from there is down.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #17
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Go after Cousins from the Redskins.
What's Cousins played like 1 game? We traded two 2ends for a guy who looked good in one start.
Old 12-30-2012   #18
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

We couldn't have traded Mario unless we had dealt him at the beginning of last season before he was injured. You can't trade an injured player and this isn't the NBA where you can do sign and trades. The salary cap ramifications are too harsh on the team.

If they had traded him before the season I'm sure all heck would have broken loose about how they were giving up the season before it began. We were coming off a 6-10 season with one of the worst statistically defensive seasons ever.

Demeco was coming back from a season ending injury and we didn't know what to expect from him.

Cushing had a poor 2010 compared to his rookie year so we really didn't know what to expect there.

Barwin was also coming back from a season ending injury.

Watt and Reed were coming in as a rookies.

We signed Manning and Jackson because our secondary was so poor, but you had to think there would be a lot of growing pains.

Mario was the ONLY thing most of us figured would be solid. He wasn't a high motor guy and didn't always dominate the way we wanted him too, but he was the best player on the defense going into last year. They couldn't have traded him without experiencing more backlash than anything they've done since.
Old 12-31-2012   #19
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i say lets just wait and see how we do in the playoffs

but if umm Mcnair whats to do some slight change here is what i would do

Fire Kubes Hire Wade phillps

decided if we want to keep schaub or not if not get another stop gap vet QB Tony romo anybody ...??? LOL maybe a change of scenery phillp rivers will be a hot F/A this year

and fire Joe marcenio get a new kicker and punter
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #20
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what I believe will happen.

First, Wade will stay. I doubt any team offers a HC job to him. It's unfortunate, but that defensive drop off happened after all.

In the Draft, we will take an ILB with the first pick. Don't know who, but it would surprise me if we got one of those guys. Losing Cushing really hurt, and showed us that as good as Dobbins and James can be, they should not be starting games. Get a stud at ILB with your first overall pick, and have him line up next to Cush or at least backing up or in a rotation. We may take an OT or a TE second round, although I am not sure. The rooks on the Right side of the line will improve with experience. I like what we have in Jones, but I am not so sold on Newton. That will be up to the Kubiak.

Marciano is gone, btw. It will probably be a "resign" but no doubt about it, he is gone. Just think, had ST not given up that KO Return, we could have won the game. We get a new Special teams coach and hopefully they improve.

I believe we improve, and finish strong next season. Our players would need to execute better, but I see it happening.

Finally, the Draft after that, I think we draft Schaubs replacement first round. Let him learn a bit, sit a couple of seasons on the bench, and when Schaubs current deal ends, have the new guy take the reigns. I believe we will be better in the years to come. I know we are feeling bitter right now, but I do believe things will get better.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read