Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2012   #41
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How to fix the offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
Pass more. Run run pass doesn't work. Let Schaub get into rhythm early. Have the pass set up the run. Have Schaub practice deep passes all damn week.
This....commitment to the run game has not been effective...open it up & let this dude get into a rythm...they'll have to match up and take someone out of the box....then hit em with foster/tate..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #42
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think some of what's going on is that, thoughout the season, teams have figured us out and how to deal with us. We've been less than stellar on the right side all year, but about a month ago, they figured out they could overload us on the LEFT side, and still beat us on the right, so that Brown and Smith on the left can't open anything up for Foster either. I remember early in the year thinking that, when we ran to the right, the RB always cut straight up-field or back to the left. Only time the RB stayed straight with his designed run-play was when we ran to the left. This has also cost us any place for Scaub to run and hide, not that he ever had mobility anyway. Lack of quality play on the right side is hurting us even more now that teams are over-loading the left side, so that we can't do anything either way. We sure can't run either way....and that's the whole ball-game....because Schaub ain't doing ****e if we can't run.

Another question is why can't Schaub pass when we can't run? He passed when we couldn't run in 2009. What's changed there?

edit: 2 minutes later: answer: it's still the right side of the line, because they don't protect the QB either.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #43
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 91682 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
well I see guys beating their man consistently and Schaub under throwing them and then occasionally over throwing them...he did it what, 2 or 3 times today? how many times do you think we should go deep? the system is fine, the skill players are fine, the person running the offense is not fine.

but since we cannot change that right now we need to come up with another plan to further limit schaubs inabilities.

I think we need to run more but in order to do this we need to shore up the right side of the line...not sure how, but they better evaluate the entire team and see if we can plug anyone in at rg and get better play....because the last few games have not been good over there
agree schaub missed 3 TDs, sure AJ should of caught the under thrown ball but put it up above his chest its a TD, Lestar had a step on his man, and then Graham had a lot of room to roam on the pick.

I see 21 points that schaub kept us from getting.
Old 12-30-2012   #44
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 47631 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
Pass more. Run run pass doesn't work. Let Schaub get into rhythm early. Have the pass set up the run. Have Schaub practice deep passes all damn week.
Matt Schaub is a 10 year vet and our QB for the last 6. Matt Schaub is who Matt Schaub is. If he can't hit a deep pass by now he never will.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #45
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Right guard.

Right tackle.

Use Posey more, but don't expect miracles yet.

Use Clutts, or whatever his name is. We need the blocking BAD.

Send at least 3 deep on the same play occasionally.

Matter of fact, try using Casey AND Clutts WITH Foster or Tate and see what you can do with that. I'm thinking of the 49ers.

Use the 4 WR set more often.

Let Schaub audible to whatever he thinks will work. I know Kubiak will NEVER do this, but he sure ought to try it.

All I got.
I want to change my first two sentences to:

Mike Briesel.

Eric Winston.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #46
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25876 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Well since we just mean this postseason it's a bit difficult.

The biggest issue is the offensive line is lacking and the truth of the matter is nothing we can do about it. There is no one else capable on the roster currently. We're stuck with Newton since Harris is not much different and stuck with Jones since Caldwell is not much different.

As one person pointed out one change-up to help the run game would be to use a real fullback in Clutts. Granted as someone who is also a Bears fan he isn't that good but has his moments in blocking. To also help the run game mix it more. Foster is more reliant on blocking to read and react. Tate is north and south where he just hits it. Wear the defense down and hit them more with both. We barely see Tate. Heck, mix Forsett sometimes on screens and such too.

For the passing game...get more freaking flexible. I have seen this offense more flexible than this. Remember when David Anderson made it seem like we had a slot receiver and Jones at times too? Do we still? Put Casey at end and hit them with him in the passing game. His size and speed is an advantage more times than not. Tight ends seem barely involved lately.

I know we were trying to limit Foster since he was running so much but it's time for him to be in the passing game much more again. He is a great receiver out the backfield and a threat in open field. Since we can't block much in the run game lets get him in space more.

Right now our offense feels, for lack of a better word, compact. Not very flexible, not much variation, etc. Need a shift to get things going again.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #47
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75541 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Keep Rick Smith away from them!! In other words, FIRE his sorry arse!!!
Not a Rick Smith fan GMa?

Me niether
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #48
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
edit: 2 minutes later: answer: it's still the right side of the line, because they don't protect the QB either.
Not a popular opinion, but I don't think the line is the problem. Yes they are worse than last year.

The reason schaub isn't passing for all those yards like he did back then is because we are in games now. We aren't down by a bunch of scores playing prevent stat padding defense.

Matt's stats have also been helped a bunch by guys getting yac. For the past 6 years we've had a top 6 guy in yac. No other team has had that.

All o lines give up pressure. We got to luck a bunch today. But he was able to make big throws when the opportunity was there.

And Andre should have caught the ball, but the throw wasn't all that. He's 6 4 and has his man beat by a good margin. Throw the damn ball up so he can pluck it out the air and not have to slow down and bend over. That's the same version of throw that led to Andre kicking the ball up for a game ending int a couple years ago.

Underthrows, throws at the feet, no mobility, no playmaking. But not risky and knows the plays. A back up at his finest. Would love to have a real qb and have schaub behind him to hold the fort for a few games in case of injury.

The team looks defeated because they don't fully believe in the qb. They don't think he's going to make those big time plays. They don't believe he'll punish defenses. They'll give lip service and say they do though.

But look how energized this team was under Yates last year.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #49
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

They look defeated b/ c they dont know how to fix the problems they have...
Old 12-30-2012   #50
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 24282 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Indy, Baltimore and Denver are the only playoff teams we've beaten. The theory that we beat Denver early in the season before they'd got their act together gains credence. I hate to say it, but perhaps our offense was never quite as good as we though.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #51
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I want to change my first two sentences to:

Mike Briesel.

Eric Winston.
yeah, that is salary cap era football. You gotta be trying get guys or two in the system before the specifc year you need them. Same problem with the WR situation.
Old 12-30-2012   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
They look defeated b/ c they dont know how to fix the problems they have...
No one does. Hard to find a starting qb at this point.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
what changed...did an olinemen get hurt or something...what is causing this massive drop off?
I think Caldwell got hurt around week 4 or 5. Ben Jones started playing & I think he did fine...... I think he won that position. A few weeks later, we lost Newton for a couple of games. Three I think. I believe it was the Detroit, Jacksonville, New England games.

I thought getting Newton back would set us right again, but so far it doesn't look like it. Maybe because he's trying to get Brooks in the game. Which, you'd think if he wanted Brooks at RG, he'd stick him in there & go with it, but he's still swapping Brooks & Jones, which I would think would slow their development.

We lost the game, I know it's hard to see any kind of improvements when we lose. But if it weren't for the two Ints, I think our OL took a good step forward.
Old 12-30-2012   #54
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
No one does. Hard to find a starting qb at this point.
Yeah that's what i meant......everyone from the head coach to the 53rd man on the roster is just lost....
Old 12-30-2012   #55
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 46635 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
Indy, Baltimore and Denver are the only playoff teams we've beaten. The theory that we beat Denver early in the season before they'd got their act together gains credence. I hate to say it, but perhaps our offense was never quite as good as we though.
I can one up you

We barely beat the Broncos and Manning was not even close to the level he is now, he was still getting used to his team

We beat Baltimore after they lost their emotional leader in Lewis and they did not have Ngata O

We only beat Indy because of a fluke goal line fumble and lucky blocked punt for a td

#overrated ???

Last edited by amazing80; 12-30-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: reed did play that game, but he was injured
amazing80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
We've been less than stellar on the right side all year....
I'd love to see some evidence that would support this. I think we've had as many big runs to the right as we've had to the left. I think Foster's biggest runs have been to the right, & there have been more stops on the left.

I think we need to get better there on the right, but I think there is equal room for improvement on the left. I think most people pick on the right side, because we know what happened there. But we have no excuse for the left side.

This is Wade's second year of poor play. Chris Myers has taken a serious drop. Brown, though not playing as well as last year, he's still not & hasn't been that MONSTER he was last season.
Old 12-30-2012   #57
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offense is so vanilla and there's no fixing it without a coaching/QB change. Do we even have more than one WR?

There are two plays in Kubiak's playlist: Run up the gut for no yards. And throw the ball to number 80. Not a lot to have to defend against if you're playing opposite that playcalling. No variation, no imagination, no balls.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #58
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 46635 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Our offense is so vanilla and there's no fixing it without a coaching/QB change. Do we even have more than one WR?

There are two plays in Kubiak's playlist: Run up the gut for no yards. And throw the ball to number 80. Not a lot to have to defend against if you're playing opposite that playcalling. No variation, no imagination, no balls.
None of us know what the play calls are, schaub is the one who pulls the trigger, it could easily be him feeding aj and completely ignoring everyone else....and I happen to think this is the case....too many times you see 8 check down on 3rd downs, no way in hell is gary calling a play where the first read is a rb on a swing pass on 3rd and 4
Old 12-30-2012   #59
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17640 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

get rid of schaub. pick up tony romo after uncle jerry loses his damn mind and fires everybody. pop bottles!

simple!
Uncle Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #60
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
get rid of schaub. pick up tony romo after uncle jerry loses his damn mind and fires everybody. pop bottles!

simple!
Lol, so you think mustard instead of mayo would taste better on your **** sandwich i take it then?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read