Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2012   #61
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264425 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Matt Schaub voted 2012 Ed Block Courage Award winner

What if Matt is paying through incredibe pain?

Think maybe this would be the reason for his teammates to give him this award? What if his "regression" has been due to increasing complications from his injury?

If this is true (even though I don't see it, he looks fine to me) that may be the "what's wrong with our offense?"
Old 12-26-2012   #62
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to figure out that the more possessions you have the more plays you can run.

We have a better defense that has given us the ball more often. So I'd expect the total amount of plays to have grown as well.
I guess you are such a Texan historian you didn't spot the reference to 2009 and 2010 in which our defense was middling and then horrible.

But let's examine your theory, offensive plays:

1043 - 2009 mediocre defense
1029 - 2010 crap defense
1046 - 2011 really good defense

Man those are some wild swings. That is 1 qtr of football over the course of a season or to put it another way 1 play per game - hardly a stat padding dynamic.. Want to try another theory on? You can stick another "you're smart enough" comment in.
Old 12-26-2012   #63
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to figure out that the more possessions you have the more plays you can run.

We have a better defense that has given us the ball more often. So I'd expect the total amount of plays to have grown as well.

And if you want to talk to the run first people you need to talk to Kubiak because he's the one that keeps saying that our passing game doesn't work well when we aren't running it well. He's the one that says it starts with the running game...
More possessions hasn't exactly added to a much higher % of pass plays. We have ran the ball into an oblivion this season. Kubiak gets a two possession lead by the 2nd half and all he does is run the ball with an occasional down the field play action pass. Schaub's numbers have been down actually due to the success of the running game's ability to milk the clock with early leads. Our entire success for this offense is predicated off the run with how KUbiak wants it to work.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #64
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I guess you are such a Texan historian you didn't spot the reference to 2009 and 2010 in which our defense was middling and then horrible.

But let's examine your theory, offensive plays:

1043 - 2009 mediocre defense
1029 - 2010 crap defense
1046 - 2011 really good defense

Man those are some wild swings. That is 1 qtr of football over the course of a season or to put it another way 1 play per game - hardly a stat padding dynamic.. Want to try another theory on? You can stick another "you're smart enough" comment in.
It's to the point now where guys will say anything not to give this guy any credit for anything he or this team does. He plays well..."oh, well the offense is qb friendly, anybody could put up the stats he's putting up"..he plays badly "the offense sucks b/c schaub sucks...." It's ridiculous.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #65
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do some of you even think? With a crap running game in a system predicated on play action passing where "the D has to respect the running game" Schaub led the league in passing. There is some legitimate criticism and discussion going on but the hyperbole is drowning it out.
That holds true if you're talking about past seasons, but this year our running game is ranked 7th in the league. Are you saying the D doesn't respect Foster or Tate?
Not sure what you're saying, other than proving my original idea that every facet of the offense has to almost be flawless for this non-scrambling QB to be somewhat good?
Pressure = Schaub not being good.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #66
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you understand that from 2010 (bad defense) to 2011 (good defense) we had over 100 less pass attempts. In 2010 Arian was 2nd in YAC with over 600 yards of yards after making a catch. In other years it's been Andre Johnson. Every year since 2008 we've had someone in the top six in YAC. No other team has done that. Only other team to come close is the PATS with Welker.

I'll let you do the math on that one. Also, one thing Matt Schaub has consistently had that I haven't seen other top passers always have is a guy that is in the top 6 in Yards after Catch.

And I don't know where you are getting your numbers from but I have us with 1018 plays in 2009 from nfl.com.

Last edited by Rey; 12-27-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #67
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do some of you even think? With a crap running game in a system predicated on play action passing where "the D has to respect the running game" Schaub led the league in passing. There is some legitimate criticism and discussion going on but the hyperbole is drowning it out.
Who gives a rats ars what Schaub was able to do in the past. Do you really believe he is still the same player he was then? Do you not see the difference in his play since the injury. Have you not watched him regress all year? Defending him by bringing up his past numbers is irrelevant because his ability to perform at that level has diminished progressively since his injury.

This is not the same Matt Sschaub. He can still play well as long as other facets of the offense are doing well. He plays off them. The problem is that other teams know this now and are going to load up to stop our running game and put pressure on him. When that happens its game over.

Watch Indy do exactly that. I don't know if they have the personnel to be successful but it's the formula to beat us. When we get to the playoffs I expect anyone and everyone we face to use it.
Old 12-28-2012   #68
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 7186 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Schaub deserves a chance to show what he can do in the playoffs before he's declared unfit to lead this team.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #69
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
I think Schaub deserves a chance to show what he can do in the playoffs before he's declared unfit to lead this team.
And he will most certainly get it. Then we'll all argue about what it "meant" regardless of whether he plays well or plays poorly for the rest of the year or at least until next season gets underway.
Old 12-28-2012   #70
C Madd
Veteran

Rep Power: 4156 C Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respectedC Madd is a quality contributor and well respected

How I feel about all the Schaub hating posts and threads:

C Madd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012   #71
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 7186 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I think you deserve a chance to never post again before you never post again.
Because I expressed my opinion?
Old 12-29-2012   #72
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The man has an opinion, he can express it. Besides which, peoples minds change over time. I was a real Schaub hater when we first got him, but I've changed my mind since. Below is a post I made years ago after the trade. I'm just using it to illustrate how people can post stuff that later they disagree with themselves on. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I hate to interrupt everyone’s happiness, but so far I am still more impressed with Sage that Schwab. Considering the price we paid for him at any rate.

Ok, yall can crucify me now. I’m going for another beer anyway.
I got some negative rep for that one. Turns out they were right. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012   #73
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 238286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What does that even mean?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264425 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I got some negative rep for that one. Turns out they were right. LOL
Not necessarily. Kubiak simply decided to hitch his wagon to a different horse.
Old 12-29-2012   #75
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First, I was trying to be funny, but actually it doesn't make sense to say a guy who sucks in the regular season deserves a chance to prove himself in the playoffs. He has already proven what he is. If suddenly he plays like a top notch QB in the playoffs that would say to me that he was just coasting and didnt really care during the season.
Ask Eli Manning.
The first time the Giants won the SB, their regular season record was 10-6.
They went 3-3 in the division.
Eli had the lowest Qb rating in his career, except for his rookie year when he didn't play much
He threw 20 INTs and 23 Tds.
Yeah he sucked.

The second time, he went 9-7 in the regular season.

The other 3 times, when the Giants had much better regular season records, he lost the first play-off game every time.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012   #76
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
First, I was trying to be funny, but actually it doesn't make sense to say a guy who sucks in the regular season deserves a chance to prove himself in the playoffs. He has already proven what he is. If suddenly he plays like a top notch QB in the playoffs that would say to me that he was just coasting and didnt really care during the season.
I am not convinced that Schaub "sucks" in the regular season. I agree he isn't elite, but I've always said that was because he needs to pad the W column. All the other stats are there. He's played well, more times than not.

& I'm by no means a Schaub fan. I'd take Romo before Schaub if I was building a team. But it is what it is. He takes us on a sweet play-off run, get a couple of play-off victories under his belt, continue to play the way he has last season & this season..... other people will start calling him elite.
Old 12-29-2012   #77
tedr
Veteran

Quote:
I guess you and I have different definitions of "sucks". I don't think anyone could objectively say Schaub has "sucked" this year. He's had a few subpar games, but he's done a pretty decent job.

I was going to bring up Eli Manning in 2007, but that's been done now. Nobody knows how Matt will perform in the playoffs, but, yeah, I think he's earned a chance to show what he's got. Also, I don't think there's any question he's earned his teammates' respect. That says a lot to me.
Old 12-29-2012   #78
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Why wouldn't he be?? There have been many a players that never came back from a "lins-franc" injury...

Fortunately: Matt Schaub has made it back!!

UNFORTUNATELY: Doc Jean called it it whenever he mentioned that Schaub's performance would take a "down-turn" based on the nature of the injury...

Me.... Personally?? I hope Doc Jean is wrong........ For once!!
Old 12-29-2012   #79
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 238286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Why wouldn't he be?? There have been many a players that never came back from a "lins-franc" injury...

Fortunately: Matt Schaub has made it back!!

UNFORTUNATELY: Doc Jean called it it whenever he mentioned that Schaub's performance would take a "down-turn" based on the nature of the injury...

Me.... Personally?? I hope Doc Jean is wrong........ For once!!
...if only Doc knew how to transplant Schaub's experience and decision-making into Yates' younger body...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #80
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not matts strong point.

In fact its one of the issues with him ... Throwing into double and triple coverage or dumping the ball off two yards down the field when they need ten yards on third down.
17-3
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read