Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012   #101
gwallaia
Moderator
 
gwallaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 7,494
Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Rendering of new Stadium


http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...57459782_n.jpg
__________________


We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #102
Hervoyel
The Right Track
 
Hervoyel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 14,880
Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Hmmmm. Very.......generic. I don't know, maybe pro stadium have left me with unrealistic expectation. Looks like a concrete box to me. If memory serves isn't it supposed to be expandable in the future? Yes, I still have high hopes for the program. Hopefully Levine doesn't sink it entirely before this thing gets built.
__________________
Fitz makes bad decisions. That's not going to change.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #103
gwallaia
Moderator
 
gwallaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 7,494
Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Initial capacity will be 40,000 and expandable to 50,000. The stadium will be oriented in a northwesterly direction with the Houston skyline as the focal point. The architectural design is modestly sleek.

As for Levine, he looks lost wandering the sidelines.
__________________


We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #104
LonerATO
Hall of Fame
 
LonerATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: No longer stuck in SA Town
Posts: 2,908
Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

I would like for the stadium to connect to the stadium parking garage.
__________________
Shocked that Marshall Faulk was an Oilers fan, thanks Samsung commercial
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #105
LonerATO
Hall of Fame
 
LonerATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: No longer stuck in SA Town
Posts: 2,908
Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Not really happy with UH going to what will become C-USA 2.0. I can see the basketball schools forming their own basketball conference, so as not to dilute their product, we also have the rumor that Boise State, SDSU looking to not leave MWC and BYU contemplating rejoining the MWC. I would much rather have UH join a reformed and stronger MWC then the new Big East.
__________________
Shocked that Marshall Faulk was an Oilers fan, thanks Samsung commercial
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #106
gwallaia
Moderator
 
gwallaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 7,494
Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

I would not touch the Big East with a 10' pole.
__________________


We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #107
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid
 
EllisUnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Age: 29
Posts: 6,919
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

i wish UH could get into the Big 12. It makes the most sense to me anyways.
__________________
"Oh, yes, and one more thing, dear Lord — about our enemies? Ignore their heathen prayers and help us blow those little bastards straight to hell. Amen again."
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #108
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58
 
NitroGSXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
Age: 38
Posts: 10,839
Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Man... I'd love to stripe that.
__________________
Why are you teaching your hearing son ASL? He's not deaf. --Pflugerville Independent School District
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012   #109
LonerATO
Hall of Fame
 
LonerATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: No longer stuck in SA Town
Posts: 2,908
Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i wish UH could get into the Big 12. It makes the most sense to me anyways.
Better to be a doormat for a few years in a conference that matters, than be in a scrub conference with not chance at a major bowl or playoff spot.
__________________
Shocked that Marshall Faulk was an Oilers fan, thanks Samsung commercial
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #110
gwallaia
Moderator
 
gwallaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 7,494
Rep Power: 79490 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i wish UH could get into the Big 12. It makes the most sense to me anyways.
As soon as Hell freezes over, UH will be invited to the Big 12.
__________________


We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #111
texanhead08
Hall of Fame
 
texanhead08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston,Tx
Age: 46
Posts: 1,392
Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

LB Phillip Steward named Sports Illustrated Honorable Mention All America today.
__________________
3 Weeks 3 Quarterbacks..but the same ****ing team

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #112
LonerATO
Hall of Fame
 
LonerATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: No longer stuck in SA Town
Posts: 2,908
Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Looks like Rhoades is Hell bent on staying in the Big East, comes with a crappy TV contract and increased travel cost.
__________________
Shocked that Marshall Faulk was an Oilers fan, thanks Samsung commercial
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #113
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid
 
EllisUnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Age: 29
Posts: 6,919
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
Looks like Rhoades is Hell bent on staying in the Big East, comes with a crappy TV contract and increased travel cost.
May be but it will be better coverage than conference USA for sure.
__________________
"Oh, yes, and one more thing, dear Lord — about our enemies? Ignore their heathen prayers and help us blow those little bastards straight to hell. Amen again."
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012   #114
Showtime100
Got AJ?
 
Showtime100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin,Tx
Age: 51
Posts: 20,817
Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

I don't know if anyone read somewhere here that my dad died December of last year. Well, a year later my mom has come to the point of healing that she wants us, us meaning his kids, to get of his whatever me might want and for whatever reason we might have.

I hope this doesn't sound cold, his death of course was very hard to cope with for a while and it was the first of our immediate family, I still think of him every day. Thing is, I scored!...lol.

Also as some here might know, my dad is a Coog, grad of '64 and as a benefit I saw the glory day of UH sports first hand. That's how I came to love the Coogs myself. Thanks so much, dad.

Turns out my old man was holding out on me. He had some historic shirts (if you will) that are in perfect, just off the rack condition!! Mom says he kept them that way for me and I am touched.

First, a Liberty Bowl shirt...


Now for the really cool stuff, '79 SWC Champs..


A 1976 SWC Champs shirt....


1983 Final Four, Albuquerque.


I had the SWC shirts myself but on my back they lasted only a short time...lol. Also recieved quite a few other UH things, So Long Guy V Lewis towel, among other towels, other shirts...etc. THANKS DAD!!!!
__________________
Thanks for taking my call. I'll hang up and listen.
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #115
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,540
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

From CougarsFans.com

The University of Houston and the SWC

By EatEmUp
April 9, 2006

The Cougars had ambitions of getting into the SWC very early in our sports history – certainly long before we were ready to compete in that famous league.

As soon as we started indicating that interest, we immediately encountered fierce opposition from Rice University, led by their famous coach, Jess Neely. They wanted no competition here in Houston. And the other SWC schools, who opposed us quite as fiercely as Rice, hid their opposition by saying they could not support another school for membership unless another member in the same city had no objections. A cowardly approach, if ever there was one.

In the early days, Rice was quite good, even winning the SWC championship in 1949. Right after that, Rice Stadium was built – holding 72,000 people! It was built largely from public donations, and Brown & Root built it in less than a year – at cost. It was to be a stadium for both Rice and the University of Houston – it was even named “Houston Stadium” to indicate it was a stadium for the entire city; however, it was built on the Rice campus. The name “Houston Stadium” did not last long; Rice soon changed it to “Rice Stadium.” And Rice had complete control of the new facility.

We were allowed to play in Rice Stadium for a number of years, but Rice placed all kinds of restrictions on our use. For example, we could not play any opponent in any year that Rice was playing that same opponent here in Houston; we could not play anyone in Rice Stadium on the same week-end that Rice was playing a game there – even if we played on a different day, or if we played at a different time on the same day; there were other restrictions. These restrictions made it very difficult for us to complete our football schedule – every year. We could not schedule until we knew Rice’s schedule.

Those infamous restrictions even extended to forcing us one year to change the venue for our biggest game of the year. We had scheduled a game with A&M at Rice Stadium on a day and week-end when Rice was scheduled to play away – all in accordance with the restrictions. And then, Rice changed their schedule to play a game in Houston that day; and they forced us to play elsewhere. We had to move the game to the old Jeppesen Stadium (now Robertson Stadium), which seated only 22,000 at the time. Suddenly we were trying to squeeze our largest crowd of the year into a stadium that would seat about one-third of the expected crowd! Not only that, on game day, the ushers, who were normally supplied by Rice at Rice Stadium, showed up at Jeppesen Stadium wearing their Rice University uniforms which they usually wore at Rice Stadium – interpreted by many of our fans as a needless affront!

Well, we drifted along, playing in Rice Stadium at Rice’s convenience, and playing the strongest teams we could schedule - even a SWC opponent occasionally. And we applied for membership in the SWC every year. We were turned away every year.

And finally the conference tired of our incessant applications. So they passed a new rule that forbad applications altogether; from then on prospective members had to be “sponsored” by an existing member, and “seconded” by another. Neither seemed likely in our case.

So for several years, we pursued sponsorship and seconding from any SWC member who would listen to our pleas. In effect, we were reduced to begging, hat in hand. The SWC schools rather enjoyed that, I have no doubt.

And then there is the matter of the infamous betrayal by Rice. One year we had acquired a sponsor and a second. Somehow Rice became aware of this, and their representatives came to Harry Fouke, our legendary athletic director, to discuss the matter. They asked Harry to get our sponsor to back off and let Rice be our sponsor. They said they had changed their minds and now wished to support our bid. They further said they thought we would have a better chance of approval if we were sponsored by Rice since we were both in the same city. We agreed and asked our sponsor to desist, after securing the promise of a second from another SWC member (that may have been Baylor, but I am not sure of that); then came the annual meeting of the SWC. Harry Fouke confidently went to the meeting site in Dallas and waited in the hall while the members went in for their session. Harry waited – and waited – and waited, thinking the door would open and he would be invited in for further discussion. The door never opened until the meeting ended. Rice had not sponsored us for membership, and the meeting was over; no chance for an invitation now until the next year!

So, again we went on our merry way, disappointed yet again. Nevertheless, we kept fielding stronger teams, and we began to beat some pretty big-name schools. And the public began to ask – ever more loudly – just why the SWC continued to deny admission into their storied league of an obviously deserving Texas school.

And finally Texas, whose influence always dominated the SWC, became sufficiently concerned with our improvement that they decided the only way to slow us down was to admit us to the conference, where they could monitor our recruiting more closely. They sure did not intend to be doing us any favors, you can be sure of that.

And so, with Texas backing, suddenly the doors of the SWC swung open to us. They invited us in – with certain restrictions, of course, just to demonstrate our inferior status. We could not compete for the championship for five years, during which time they would bring our recruiting under control, don’t you know? By this time we were playing in the Astrodome, but that was not good enough for Texas and A&M; so they reserved the right for five years (if I remember the time right) to dictate where they would play us in Houston; they preferred Rice Stadium (we had moved to the Astrodome to get away from all those restrictions imposed on us by Rice) because it was larger, they said. Actually, they cared more about dominating us than the size of the stadium!

After waiting 5 years to compete for the championship, we promptly won it all in that sixth year of membership, and went on to beat Maryland in the Cotton Bowl. Cougars began sporting bumper stickers which read “Houston Cougars, First-Year Owners of the SWC.”

Now, that was a very interesting year. Not only did we win the championship, we beat Texas in Austin by 30-0 in front of the largest home crowd ever seen in Austin to that time, ending a 43-game home winning streak by the horns, which led to the retirement of their legendary coach, Daryl Royal. I think Texas gained a total of 24 yards rushing!

But we had to share that first championship with Texas Tech. Now, Tech had waited some 30 years to gain membership in the conference, as had we. But they had been a member for several years before we were admitted. And now, finally, after waiting all those years, Tech had won the SWC championship, but they had to share it with the upstart Cougars. Not only that, they had lost to us that year – and we were going to the Cotton Bowl instead of Tech. Well, that sure did not help to endear us to a lot of folks out in West Texas, did it?

So, Texas then filed some complaints about our recruiting with the NCAA – the other half of their plans to control our recruiting, don’t you know? And we were investigated and put on probation for a year. One of the penalties was that we were ineligible for the championship or any bowl game for a year. How convenient!

After serving our year in the dock, we won the championship again, and were bound for the Cotton Bowl again, this time to play Notre Dame. We changed our bumper stickers to read “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.”

We lost the Cotton Bowl that year to Notre Dame. Well, we really won the game, but the refs gave the game to the Irish by refusing to make the call properly when the winning touchdown was clearly caught out of bounds on the very last play of the game; no way were they going to call that play against Notre Dame – on national television. If there were any regrets among our friends in the conference, it was never obvious!

The next year we won the championship again, and beat Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl on a pass with only about 12 seconds left on the clock. Just the reverse of the previous year’s game – only this time the pass was legitimate! And now our bumper stickers read “Now It’s Three out of Four.”

They never forgave us for those four years of domination. Their dismay was assuaged somewhat during the next four years while others won the championships. But in 1984 we won it again – in such a manner as to leave the other members of the conference virtually speechless!

On the last day of the season, there were about four teams which could possibly end up as champion; everything depended on the outcome of the games on that last day. Our game was played early, and we won. And then, as the day wore on, game after game fell our way. Every team that had to lose in order for us to be the champion lost, one after the other. At the end of the day, the Cougars were the last ones standing – and we were champions of the SWC once again! We lost the Cotton Bowl that year to a better team, Boston College, quarterbacked by the legendary Doug Flutie, and helped once again by some very questionable calls by the referees, to the delight of our SWC brethren! And then Texas and A&M pulled their infamous double cross. While telling all the other members of the SWC that they were negotiating with the Big 8 for a merger of that league with the SWC, they were actually trying to negotiate their transfer into the Big 8, leaving all the rest behind. They were forced to include Texas Tech in the deal by Bob Bullock, then the Lt. Governor of Texas; and they were forced to include Baylor by Ann Richards, then the Governor of the state.

So, four members of the SWC were “invited” by the Big 8 to join their league to form the new Big 12, leaving the remaining members of the legendary old SWC out in the cold. And as the proud conference died, it came to pass that the last conference game was played in Rice Stadium between Rice University and the University of Houston – a night game. The Cougars won the game – the very last football game ever played in the SWC (I might add that we also won the very last basketball game ever played in the SWC too - against Texas), and we literally turned out the lights on one of the most legendary conferences in American history. Sad indeed – to see a great conference destroyed by internal hatreds that endure to this day!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012   #116
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,540
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I don't know if anyone read somewhere here that my dad died December of last year. Well, a year later my mom has come to the point of healing that she wants us, us meaning his kids, to get of his whatever me might want and for whatever reason we might have.

I hope this doesn't sound cold, his death of course was very hard to cope with for a while and it was the first of our immediate family, I still think of him every day. Thing is, I scored!...lol.

Also as some here might know, my dad is a Coog, grad of '64 and as a benefit I saw the glory day of UH sports first hand. That's how I came to love the Coogs myself. Thanks so much, dad.

Turns out my old man was holding out on me. He had some historic shirts (if you will) that are in perfect, just off the rack condition!! Mom says he kept them that way for me and I am touched.



I had the SWC shirts myself but on my back they lasted only a short time...lol. Also recieved quite a few other UH things, So Long Guy V Lewis towel, among other towels, other shirts...etc. THANKS DAD!!!!
Did he keep those bumper stickers?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #117
LonerATO
Hall of Fame
 
LonerATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: No longer stuck in SA Town
Posts: 2,908
Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Boise State is now staying in the MWC and there are rumors that the Big-12 is looking to expand into the ACC, Cougar fans cannot be happy.
__________________
Shocked that Marshall Faulk was an Oilers fan, thanks Samsung commercial
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #118
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,868
Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
From CougarsFans.com

The University of Houston and the SWC

By EatEmUp
April 9, 2006

The Cougars had ambitions of getting into the SWC very early in our sports history – certainly long before we were ready to compete in that famous league.

As soon as we started indicating that interest, we immediately encountered fierce opposition from Rice University, led by their famous coach, Jess Neely. They wanted no competition here in Houston. And the other SWC schools, who opposed us quite as fiercely as Rice, hid their opposition by saying they could not support another school for membership unless another member in the same city had no objections. A cowardly approach, if ever there was one.

In the early days, Rice was quite good, even winning the SWC championship in 1949. Right after that, Rice Stadium was built – holding 72,000 people! It was built largely from public donations, and Brown & Root built it in less than a year – at cost. It was to be a stadium for both Rice and the University of Houston – it was even named “Houston Stadium” to indicate it was a stadium for the entire city; however, it was built on the Rice campus. The name “Houston Stadium” did not last long; Rice soon changed it to “Rice Stadium.” And Rice had complete control of the new facility.

We were allowed to play in Rice Stadium for a number of years, but Rice placed all kinds of restrictions on our use. For example, we could not play any opponent in any year that Rice was playing that same opponent here in Houston; we could not play anyone in Rice Stadium on the same week-end that Rice was playing a game there – even if we played on a different day, or if we played at a different time on the same day; there were other restrictions. These restrictions made it very difficult for us to complete our football schedule – every year. We could not schedule until we knew Rice’s schedule.

Those infamous restrictions even extended to forcing us one year to change the venue for our biggest game of the year. We had scheduled a game with A&M at Rice Stadium on a day and week-end when Rice was scheduled to play away – all in accordance with the restrictions. And then, Rice changed their schedule to play a game in Houston that day; and they forced us to play elsewhere. We had to move the game to the old Jeppesen Stadium (now Robertson Stadium), which seated only 22,000 at the time. Suddenly we were trying to squeeze our largest crowd of the year into a stadium that would seat about one-third of the expected crowd! Not only that, on game day, the ushers, who were normally supplied by Rice at Rice Stadium, showed up at Jeppesen Stadium wearing their Rice University uniforms which they usually wore at Rice Stadium – interpreted by many of our fans as a needless affront!

Well, we drifted along, playing in Rice Stadium at Rice’s convenience, and playing the strongest teams we could schedule - even a SWC opponent occasionally. And we applied for membership in the SWC every year. We were turned away every year.

And finally the conference tired of our incessant applications. So they passed a new rule that forbad applications altogether; from then on prospective members had to be “sponsored” by an existing member, and “seconded” by another. Neither seemed likely in our case.

So for several years, we pursued sponsorship and seconding from any SWC member who would listen to our pleas. In effect, we were reduced to begging, hat in hand. The SWC schools rather enjoyed that, I have no doubt.

And then there is the matter of the infamous betrayal by Rice. One year we had acquired a sponsor and a second. Somehow Rice became aware of this, and their representatives came to Harry Fouke, our legendary athletic director, to discuss the matter. They asked Harry to get our sponsor to back off and let Rice be our sponsor. They said they had changed their minds and now wished to support our bid. They further said they thought we would have a better chance of approval if we were sponsored by Rice since we were both in the same city. We agreed and asked our sponsor to desist, after securing the promise of a second from another SWC member (that may have been Baylor, but I am not sure of that); then came the annual meeting of the SWC. Harry Fouke confidently went to the meeting site in Dallas and waited in the hall while the members went in for their session. Harry waited – and waited – and waited, thinking the door would open and he would be invited in for further discussion. The door never opened until the meeting ended. Rice had not sponsored us for membership, and the meeting was over; no chance for an invitation now until the next year!

So, again we went on our merry way, disappointed yet again. Nevertheless, we kept fielding stronger teams, and we began to beat some pretty big-name schools. And the public began to ask – ever more loudly – just why the SWC continued to deny admission into their storied league of an obviously deserving Texas school.

And finally Texas, whose influence always dominated the SWC, became sufficiently concerned with our improvement that they decided the only way to slow us down was to admit us to the conference, where they could monitor our recruiting more closely. They sure did not intend to be doing us any favors, you can be sure of that.

And so, with Texas backing, suddenly the doors of the SWC swung open to us. They invited us in – with certain restrictions, of course, just to demonstrate our inferior status. We could not compete for the championship for five years, during which time they would bring our recruiting under control, don’t you know? By this time we were playing in the Astrodome, but that was not good enough for Texas and A&M; so they reserved the right for five years (if I remember the time right) to dictate where they would play us in Houston; they preferred Rice Stadium (we had moved to the Astrodome to get away from all those restrictions imposed on us by Rice) because it was larger, they said. Actually, they cared more about dominating us than the size of the stadium!

After waiting 5 years to compete for the championship, we promptly won it all in that sixth year of membership, and went on to beat Maryland in the Cotton Bowl. Cougars began sporting bumper stickers which read “Houston Cougars, First-Year Owners of the SWC.”

Now, that was a very interesting year. Not only did we win the championship, we beat Texas in Austin by 30-0 in front of the largest home crowd ever seen in Austin to that time, ending a 43-game home winning streak by the horns, which led to the retirement of their legendary coach, Daryl Royal. I think Texas gained a total of 24 yards rushing!

But we had to share that first championship with Texas Tech. Now, Tech had waited some 30 years to gain membership in the conference, as had we. But they had been a member for several years before we were admitted. And now, finally, after waiting all those years, Tech had won the SWC championship, but they had to share it with the upstart Cougars. Not only that, they had lost to us that year – and we were going to the Cotton Bowl instead of Tech. Well, that sure did not help to endear us to a lot of folks out in West Texas, did it?

So, Texas then filed some complaints about our recruiting with the NCAA – the other half of their plans to control our recruiting, don’t you know? And we were investigated and put on probation for a year. One of the penalties was that we were ineligible for the championship or any bowl game for a year. How convenient!

After serving our year in the dock, we won the championship again, and were bound for the Cotton Bowl again, this time to play Notre Dame. We changed our bumper stickers to read “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.”

We lost the Cotton Bowl that year to Notre Dame. Well, we really won the game, but the refs gave the game to the Irish by refusing to make the call properly when the winning touchdown was clearly caught out of bounds on the very last play of the game; no way were they going to call that play against Notre Dame – on national television. If there were any regrets among our friends in the conference, it was never obvious!

The next year we won the championship again, and beat Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl on a pass with only about 12 seconds left on the clock. Just the reverse of the previous year’s game – only this time the pass was legitimate! And now our bumper stickers read “Now It’s Three out of Four.”

They never forgave us for those four years of domination. Their dismay was assuaged somewhat during the next four years while others won the championships. But in 1984 we won it again – in such a manner as to leave the other members of the conference virtually speechless!

On the last day of the season, there were about four teams which could possibly end up as champion; everything depended on the outcome of the games on that last day. Our game was played early, and we won. And then, as the day wore on, game after game fell our way. Every team that had to lose in order for us to be the champion lost, one after the other. At the end of the day, the Cougars were the last ones standing – and we were champions of the SWC once again! We lost the Cotton Bowl that year to a better team, Boston College, quarterbacked by the legendary Doug Flutie, and helped once again by some very questionable calls by the referees, to the delight of our SWC brethren! And then Texas and A&M pulled their infamous double cross. While telling all the other members of the SWC that they were negotiating with the Big 8 for a merger of that league with the SWC, they were actually trying to negotiate their transfer into the Big 8, leaving all the rest behind. They were forced to include Texas Tech in the deal by Bob Bullock, then the Lt. Governor of Texas; and they were forced to include Baylor by Ann Richards, then the Governor of the state.

So, four members of the SWC were “invited” by the Big 8 to join their league to form the new Big 12, leaving the remaining members of the legendary old SWC out in the cold. And as the proud conference died, it came to pass that the last conference game was played in Rice Stadium between Rice University and the University of Houston – a night game. The Cougars won the game – the very last football game ever played in the SWC (I might add that we also won the very last basketball game ever played in the SWC too - against Texas), and we literally turned out the lights on one of the most legendary conferences in American history. Sad indeed – to see a great conference destroyed by internal hatreds that endure to this day!
I've long suspected & pretty much assumed that UT & A&M to a lesser extent have continously conspired to keep UH down as far as athletics go b/c we're the baby of all major universities here in Texas; The excuses about why we've been kept out of the big 12 just don't quite add up; didn't really think Rice was in on the party though.

They know that we're a hotbed for talent here & they couldn't afford to lose this recruiting base here. And even though i had no clue of UH athletics back then, the 80's proved just how dominant we could be if we were in a conference worth a damn.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013   #119
texanhead08
Hall of Fame
 
texanhead08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston,Tx
Age: 46
Posts: 1,392
Rep Power: 14619 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

I just heard that David Gibbs is the new DC at UH. I just threw up in my mouth.
__________________
3 Weeks 3 Quarterbacks..but the same ****ing team

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #120
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,540
Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Cougars 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
I just heard that David Gibbs is the new DC at UH. I just threw up in my mouth.
What's the reason?

I don't know anything about him, but his resume doesn't look too bad.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger