Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: In your opinion, what is the most important factor in us reaching the SuperBowl?
1) The defense steps it up another level 5 8.20%
2) Kubiak does a better overall job coaching 6 9.84%
3) Matt Schaub steps his game up/Shows up big in crucial moments 21 34.43%
4) The O-line plays better 21 34.43%
5) Arian takes it up a notch 2 3.28%
6) The WR's/TE's get open more 0 0%
7) We get home field throughout 3 4.92%
8) ST's significantly improves 0 0%
9) We have a few lucky bounces 1 1.64%
10) Other 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2012   #41
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 10083 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans will go to the Superbowl IF....

Haven't had much of a chance to post this season, but here's my take.

There is no 'magic bullet', but a few observations:

1. The d-line can only do so much, and by that I mean Watt. Simply put, our secondary isn't good enough to the carry the weight of mediocre front-seven play against the best of the best in a playoff scenario. Step up and make the play, ladies.

2. We do not play well from behind. Blame whoever you want for this but, either way, we won't make it past the first round if we start the 2nd quarter down by 17 to 21 points. There are no miracles in our future. Both offense and defense need to universally step it up and play up to their caliber if we wish to avoid this scenario.

3. Red zone offense; leaving points on the field and settling for FGs will not be good enough in the playoffs. This is something Kubiak (and Schaub) needs to focus on in the weeks to come.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to whether or not Gary and Wade have the boys ready to play...which makes me nervous.

Fitzpatrick is legit.
burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #42
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
1) The defense steps it up another level

2) Kubiak does a better overall job coaching

3) Matt Schaub steps his game up/Shows up big in crucial moments

4) The O-line plays better

5) Arian takes it up a notch

6) The WR's/TE's get open more

7) We get home field throughout

8) ST's significantly improves

9) We have a few lucky bounces

10) Other

Poll coming.

Positive thread. Time to get some positive thoughts going guys. It's Friday. Football Friday. I realize that more than one of these these will likely have to occur, but what one thing happening will make you feel better (even better) about our Super Bowl chances?
Okay... success will depend upon a variety of occurrences, not one thing. So instead of picking the one thing, I'm gonna go the order of importance route. For example, say Schaub fails to "step it up a notch" and has a Meh game BUT the defense gets turnovers, Foster steps it up and keeps finding his way into the endzone, and ST wakes up and actually gets some long returns or even one or two for TDs on our journey to Lombardi TrophyLand, then we can STILL win it all.

So here goes...
1. Defense steps it up another level. This is tops on my list because this will keep games close that we may otherwise be blown out of if the offense flounders. And if the D gets turnovers to give us extra possessions - before I was just talking generating 3-&-outs - now we have significantly improved our chances to win. Extra possessions, even those that result in FGs, take away possessions from the opposition.

2. The O-line plays better. And I mean 2010-level better. Arian Foster leading the league in rushing better. Schaub having 3-4 secs to find someone open better.

3. Arian takes it up another level. If Foster (and by inference, the O-line) is clicking, then the rest of our offense should work as designed. The TEs and WRs should get open on playaction. All Schaub has to do is not go blind and the whole offense will have good days.

4. Matt Schaub ups his game. This also means A.J. has a big day (I noticed he wasn't among the choices) and OD and the young WR corps have big days. Schaub gets the ball out of his hands quickly and is on target. The "dumb Schaub throw of the game" is thankfully absent during the playoff run.

5. Home field throughout. This one is on us fans. We shut the hell up when we have the ball and make the other guys' ears bleed when they have the ball. Teams have to use their timeouts at inappropriate times because they can't hear. We cause multiple false start penalties because they can't hear. We pump J.J. and Ninja up so much they both have multi-sack games.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 12-29-2012 at 12:06 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #43
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Oline for me as well.
-It will make the running game better
-It will make Matt Schaub better
-It will help Kubiak by not having to avoid certain plays
-It will help control the clock
-It will help the defense stay rested

They just need to get it together for 4 more wins.
Old 12-28-2012   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 249243 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Part of me wants to pick o-line, but great play by the line cannot overcome a bad QB performance. However, a great QB performance can overcome mediocre line play.

No Super Bowl champion has ever made it through the playoffs in spite of lousy performances by their QB. The QB touches the ball on every offensive play, has the ability to change plays at the line, and has the ability to make something happen when things break down.

Schaub has to step up and 'be the man' in the playoffs if the Texans want to have a chance at the Lombardi. So for that reason, I'm picking #3.
I see what you're saying.

But if this line plays better, that's in both the run & passing game. If Arian & Tate gets the run on, everything is easier for Matt Schaub. His play won't look so bad, because then he can just take what the defense gives him instead of having to create like an elite QB.
Old 12-28-2012   #45
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I see what you're saying.

But if this line plays better, that's in both the run & passing game. If Arian & Tate gets the run on, everything is easier for Matt Schaub. His play won't look so bad, because then he can just take what the defense gives him instead of having to create like an elite QB.
yep, my thoughts exactly.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #46
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25709 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
No, no, no. #1 & #3 are much easier to pick over #4. Matt has to play big in huge games and the defense can't get exposed against Brady/Manning to get this team to the Super Bowl.
I disagree. The identity of this team is built on running the ball effectively.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #47
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2514 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Back when Carr was our QB, I defended him with criticism of the O-line. As an ex offensive lineman, I believe the O-line is the heart and soul of any working Offense. A good O-line can cover a multitude of frailties in a QB, running back and game plan. A great o-line can make hall of famers out of mediocre coaches, QB's, running backs and WR's.
In spite of the obvious weaKnesses of Schaub and Kubiak and a regression by Foster, I have to say that if the O-line plays better, The Texans have a chance at a SuperBowl
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #48
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I went ahead and chose Schaub for the purposes of this exercise because if you have a QB that is making plays and doing it when you need it most that might be the single most valuable thing for a football team...

But in reality it's going to take a combination of these things. It's not all on Schaub or all on one area.
I chose the OL playing better for the same reason. Schaub can and does make plays when protected and the defense is having to key on the running game instead of stopping it on their way to the QB.

I also 100% agree that it will take a combination of those things (OL and have a big ST play or two are my two biggest ones) to reach the Super Bowl.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #49
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I disagree. The identity of this team is built on running the ball effectively.
I disagree. I think that this teams offensive identity is making opposing defenses never really know what the offense is going to do. The threat of the big play, whether a run or pass, is the defining threat.

How many times have we seen Kubiak come out and throw the ball 3 or 4 times in a row on the opening drive to force the defense to honor that? You can either run to open up the passing game or pass to open up the running game. Either one works if the OL is doing a good job.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #50
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I purposefully just said better and not a lot better or perfect...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
MSR.
Got him.
Old 12-29-2012   #51
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25709 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I disagree. I think that this teams offensive identity is making opposing defenses never really know what the offense is going to do. The threat of the big play, whether a run or pass, is the defining threat.

How many times have we seen Kubiak come out and throw the ball 3 or 4 times in a row on the opening drive to force the defense to honor that? You can either run to open up the passing game or pass to open up the running game. Either one works if the OL is doing a good job.
That's a fair comment. I'll go with your version.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read