Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-25-2012   #21
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What would be Schaub's trade value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
So *Colin Kaepernick came in and played well and Smith was benched for that reason.

Is that not Smith being benched for a reason?
Actually Kaepernick came in and played light out. He was just to hot to take back out of the lineup. This season Smith was third in QB rating when he got hurt, behind Manning and Aaron Rodgers. In his last full game he was 18-of-19 with three TDs. Before he was knocked out of the game against St. Louis, he was 7-of-8 with a TD. Three of his five interceptions this season came in one game -- against the New York Giants, the defending Super Bowl champs. He was 20-6-1 in the games he's started for Harbaugh. He's not flashy … but he wins. Last season he had six fourth-quarter comebacks, including the playoffs.

He wasn't benched he got hurt and the coach decided to go with the hot "hot hand".
Old 12-25-2012   #22
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Sometimes i wonder if people actually sit down and watch other nfl games. I mean, really watch them. Alex Smith? Really?
You can tell that many of them don't..they watch the texans and dont have clue about what's going on with other teams and players. Some of these suggestions are just absurd

Then, the fact that some believe we could actually get a first for a 30 year old middling qb.....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #23
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

ill give u a answer after the playoffs
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #24
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sometimes i wonder if people actually sit down and watch other nfl games. I mean, really watch them. Alex Smith? Really?
Smith is a limited QB like Schaub .... he is a little more mobile tho.

Upgrade ? I dont know .... but like Schaub Smith doesnt make many mistakes. He threw a total of 5 INT's in 445 attempts last season. Thats taking care of the ball.
He's also more mobile and has a stronger arm .... even if only marginally better in either.

Thats a QB who went 13-3 last year and was on track to repeat that prior to being sidelined by an injury, Smith was 6-2 as the starter while Colin Kaepernick has gone 4-2-1 with that same team .... with a loss and tie to a .500 Rams team.

Honestly I think Harbaugh will regret switching QB's as Kaepernick is much more mistakeprone .... Playoff football isnt forgiving of mistakes.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe if we glued some roller skates to his feet we could pass him off as semi mobile and get a higher pick for him.
Old 12-26-2012   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
I think you meant to say "unlike" Schaub?

That being said to answer the OP we would be extremely fortunate to get a 4th or 5th for Matt.
Schaub only has 10 thru 15 games this season .... and has been 2.1% or below on INT's the last three seasons.

Smith's numbers last season were simply fabulous ... 1.1% Int rate. To put that in perspective , Brady has had only one year better (0.8% in 2010 which was a record breaking year for the Pats offense) and only two seasons below 2% (2007 - 1.4% and 2012 1.3%). In all the others Brady has been between 2.0 and 3.0% with a career total of 2.1%.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #27
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh, threads like this cause much debate and arguments for no reason. All of us could hate Schaub but Gary will never admit he was wrong and make a change. And to me Alex is a younger version of Matt with more mobility. He would be ok in our system and would provide things Matt doesn't but to trade or even sign him while you have Matt is more of a lateral move then anything.

To me the only way to upgrade is by drafting someone. IF YATES is not the guy like many seem to think (not me, I like Yates) then you have to get a qb higher in the draft.
Old 12-27-2012   #28
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Meh, threads like this cause much debate and arguments for no reason. All of us could hate Schaub but Gary will never admit he was wrong and make a change. And to me Alex is a younger version of Matt with more mobility. He would be ok in our system and would provide things Matt doesn't but to trade or even sign him while you have Matt is more of a lateral move then anything.

To me the only way to upgrade is by drafting someone. IF YATES is not the guy like many seem to think (not me, I like Yates) then you have to get a qb higher in the draft.
The problem with trying to replace Schaub is getting a guy who is better. Getting a guy who is worse makes no sense. I don't see Alex Smith as an improvement. What other free agent QBs may be available? Matt Moore? Jason Campbell. Neither of these guys screams improvement to me.

This is a poor year to draft a franchise QB. None of the 2013 QBs look like franchise signal callers. 2014 looks like a better year to grab a QB high. So, i imagine the team is stuck with Schaub for another year, whether they like it or not.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #29
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course they don't. That much is clear.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #30
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Ok, if you are basing it on INT's only, but during the course of the game Schaub makes many many mistakes that cost our offense chances to score or deliver FG's in the red zone instead of TD's.

mistakes costing us an extension of a drive is better than a mistake that cost us a turnover ala Yates
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #31
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

We had a chance at Peyton Manning in the off-season - who wanted to play here - and would not trade Schaub.

Schaub is not going anywhere until Kubiak is going somewhere, and he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Both of these cats are going to be here for awhile, so we might as well get used to it and hope for the best.

Maybe we can build a team around him that will not require him to have elevated performances, like the Bucs did with Trent Dilfer?
Old 12-27-2012   #32
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
We had a chance at Peyton Manning in the off-season - who wanted to play here - and would not trade Schaub.

Schaub is not going anywhere until Kubiak is going somewhere, and he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Both of these cats are going to be here for awhile, so we might as well get used to it and hope for the best.

Maybe we can build a team around him that will not require him to have elevated performances, like the Bucs did with Trent Dilfer?

I would have been more than okay with peyton coming to town
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #33
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is exactly why I want to spend some high picks on O-linemen this season...

We need guys that are dominant in run blocking and pass pro...Maybe get KW off the field a bit more too...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #34
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Not much right now. But Schaub is about to enter into a defining moment of his career over the coming weeks.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #35
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Not much right now. But Schaub is about to enter into a defining moment of his career over the coming weeks.
You're right...

I'm excited for him. He has a chance to change a lot of people's minds..Texan and Non-Texan fans...

About to go into his first play-offs...Best team record wise that he's ever been a part of...

Just has to do it...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #36
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dunno how we could stand Peyton's $18 million cap hit. And imo it would at minimum be imprudent for any GM to trade for Schaub with his lisfranc. I think we're lucky he could come back from it.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #37
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
A 7th rd pick, no really. Old and no arm strength
This is dumb Arizona would take that trade all day every day and not look back.
Old 12-27-2012   #38
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

well schaub has a chance to dictate that yall are right hes about to enter the biggest part of his football Career his LIFE

thts why this colts game is so Important to WIN it will give the team a chance to breathe and get rdy for the Playoffs
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #39
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
ill give u a answer after the playoffs
Something is very wrong with the general consensus when Norg is the one exercising prudence.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #40
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
This is exactly why I want to spend some high picks on O-linemen this season...

We need guys that are dominant in run blocking and pass pro...Maybe get KW off the field a bit more too...
I agree completely about heavy investment in o-line. I'm a firm believer that games are won/lost in the trenches. A great line can make a decent RB good and a good back great. And then with a statue QB, we need all the protection that we can get.

It seems pretty evident that many of this season's problems originate directly from platooning lineman on the right side. Arian is not looking anything like he did last year, and Schaub is getting David Carr syndrome by going fetal position when he just hears footsteps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I dunno how we could stand Peyton's $18 million cap hit. And imo it would at minimum be imprudent for any GM to trade for Schaub with his lisfranc. I think we're lucky he could come back from it.
I agree. I'm not a cap expert and have no thoughts on managing it. There were some folks around here that were working numbers as food for thought.

My main point was that the Texans never even entertained the idea, and according to Bob Allen, Manning had the Texans as no. 1 on his list but the Texans would not even grant him a meeting to discuss it. I don't think it was cap concerns as much as it is being married to Schaub. JMO obviously.

Good point on Schaub, too. I'm not sure who would have been interested in him at that point.

Hopefully the boy rises up for the playoffs and proves everyone wrong!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read