Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-25-2012   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default QBs in this draft class.

My initial thought on Ryan Nassib is that he's quite inconsistent for a 5th year Senior.

It's difficult to see an inconsistent "experienced" guy to be a "franchise" NFL QB, at least not one that can carry a team here and there.

There's potential in the guy though.
Right now I don't like his footwork.
It causes him not to be in a good position to deliver an accurate pass on several occasions.
If he can work and improve on it, his chance of becoming a starter in the NFL can be helped a lot.

Nassib isn't close in term of athletic ability as RG III, Luck, or Wilson.

That goes to the next point: He would need to be a smart and instinctive QB to be able to extend plays.
Unfortunately, he doesn't show enough of that as to make me think he can overcome his lacking in athleticism to be successful at the next level.

If you look for a guy who has some kind of "it", I don't think Nassib is your target.

I've reviewed 7 of his games; it's not enough to be in depth, but I do believe it's fair to say that he doesn't have enough "star" quality, if at all.

As usual, I want to note that when I watch QB play, I consider his O-line, his weapons, his opponents.

When a guy throw an INT, is it really his fault?
Does he have an open receiver that he missed?
When he's sacked, is it his fault, or is it a problem with protection.

Obviously, I'm just one guy watching other guys play, so Take it FWIW.
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: QBs in this draft class.

Wilso and Bray, the Tylers would look good in Steel Blue.

Give us your thoughts on Barkley and Landry Jones?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am a fan of Nassib. I dont think he will be a Luck or RG3 level starter, but I do think he would be an upgrade over Schaub (maybe not immediately,but in a year or two... which does not exactly help the Texans win now). Honestly though, there are not any QBs on the level of Luck and RG3 this year. Every player has warts. There are some starters, sure, but no true franchise QBs.

I think Landry Jones has some potential. He has great size and a good arm, and has better mobility than given credit for (certainly better than Schaub). He is a long time starter as well. But I dont think he is an IT can. He reminds me of Schaub at times, in that he looks good when you look at box scores, but when you watch the game he underwhelms you. All the tools are there, but his actual play is lacking.

I wont really go into other players, unless asked. I dont think there are any QBs that would help us win in the short term.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched some clips on a few guys and I like Dysert the best from what I've seen. Dude has good mobility, stays a live in the pocket, but keeps his eyes down field to make plays. He also has the best arm out of the guys I watched...

Not a fan of Nassib, Landry Jones, Bray, Murray or Glennon...

Not watching Barkley or Geno Smith as they likely won't be on board at any point for us..

But if I had to take a rookie QB this year at this point it'd be Dysert in the 2nd...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMa5Nv2zoI

I think that's a good video that highlights his strengths and weaknesses...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

i like wilson...bray had too many boneheaded plays last year for tenn.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #6
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
My initial thought on Ryan Nassib is that he's quite inconsistent for a 5th year Senior.

It's difficult to see an inconsistent "experienced" guy to be a "franchise" NFL QB, at least not one that can carry a team here and there.

There's potential in the guy though.
Right now I don't like his footwork.
It causes him not to be in a good position to deliver an accurate pass on several occasions.
If he can work and improve on it, his chance of becoming a starter in the NFL can be helped a lot.

Nassib isn't close in term of athletic ability as RG III, Luck, or Wilson.
Let me preface this by saying ive only seen Nassib play in 4 games. I agree his footwork is not great and it causes a large portion of his bad throws. I think he is a better athlete than you seem to give him credit for but yes he nowhere near RG3 (most arenít) Luck, or Wilson. Athletically I would compare him to Cutler. Everything I have read about him says he is a hardworking kid who is very smart which makes me believe his footwork, and decision making can improve under Kubiak. I in no way believe he can supplant Schaub soon; just that he is the kind of guy that will be able to cash in on his physical ability. Thanks for responding though, you canít believe everything you read on the web and I appreciate your input.

That goes to the next point: He would need to be a smart and instinctive QB to be able to extend plays.
Unfortunately, he doesn't show enough of that as to make me think he can overcome his lacking in athleticism to be successful at the next level.

If you look for a guy who has some kind of "it", I don't think Nassib is your target.

I've reviewed 7 of his games; it's not enough to be in depth, but I do believe it's fair to say that he doesn't have enough "star" quality, if at all.

As usual, I want to note that when I watch QB play, I consider his O-line, his weapons, his opponents.

When a guy throw an INT, is it really his fault?
Does he have an open receiver that he missed?
When he's sacked, is it his fault, or is it a problem with protection.

Obviously, I'm just one guy watching other guys play, so Take it FWIW.
Let me preface this by saying ive only seen Nassib play in 4 games. I agree his footwork is not great and it causes a large portion of his bad throws. I think he is a better athlete than you seem to give him credit for, but yes he nowhere near RG3 (most arenít) Luck, or Wilson. Athletically I would compare him to Cutler. Everything I have read about him says he is a hardworking kid who is very smart which makes me believe his footwork, and decision making can improve under Kubiak. I in no way believe he can supplant Schaub soon; just that he is the kind of guy that will be able to cash in on his physical ability. Thanks for responding though, you canít believe everything you read on the web and I appreciate your input.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #7
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Early consensus is 2013 QB class can't touch 2012, no?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2012   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think these comments and evaluations are the reason why Smith was eager to re-sign Schaub. Even Geno and Dysart who I mocked early last off season will need a year or so to develop as starters. Fans can complain all they want about Matt, but I see no option as a replacement that can put you where Schaub has so far.
Old 12-26-2012   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I watched some clips on a few guys and I like Dysert the best from what I've seen. Dude has good mobility, stays a live in the pocket, but keeps his eyes down field to make plays. He also has the best arm out of the guys I watched...

Not watching Barkley or Geno Smith as they likely won't be on board at any point for us..

But if I had to take a rookie QB this year at this point it'd be Dysert in the 2nd...

I really like Dysert strong arm, accurate. Needs to take care of the ball better and learn better footwork. Level he played at bothers me.

I like Bray better, because he also has a strong arm/best in the draft. Yes he makes some boneheaded throws. This comes from his belief the he can stck a ball in the tightest of spaces. He has terrible mechanics, throwing off his back foot and while still completing most of those the lack of mechanics is the cause of most of his ints. This can be fixed by great QB coaching of Gary. Bray reminds me of Matt Stafford with his size arm strength and his undisciplined throwing motion and footwork.

He's kind of a cocky type of guy, but most QB's that become good/great are that way. Brady/Manning/Brees Cutler/Rodgers/Romo etc... With Garys coaching and Brays god given abilty I think Bray could become great. (Worth a 1st rd pick) If Bray didn't have issues he would be the 1st pick in the draft because he has that kind of ability. IMHO

Think of a young Big Ben
Old 12-26-2012   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I really like Dysert strong arm, accurate. Needs to take care of the ball better and learn better footwork. Level he played at bothers me.

I like Bray better, because he also has a strong arm/best in the draft. Yes he makes some boneheaded throws. This comes from his belief the he can stck a ball in the tightest of spaces. He has terrible mechanics, throwing off his back foot and while still completing most of those the lack of mechanics is the cause of most of his ints. This can be fixed by great QB coaching of Gary. Bray reminds me of Matt Stafford with his size arm strength and his undisciplined throwing motion and footwork.

He's kind of a cocky type of guy, but most QB's that become good/great are that way. Brady/Manning/Brees Cutler/Rodgers/Romo etc... With Garys coaching and Brays god given abilitI think Bray could become great. (Worth a 1st rd pick) If Bray didn't have issues he would be the 1st pick in the draft because he has that kind of ability. IMHO
in my observation, those guys never grow out of that..they've been doing it all their careers and that's a hard thing for them to get over. From Marino, George, Favre and now Cutler...they almost never stop doing that. If he's got that issue now, he most likely won't be able to shake it when he gets to pros.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah...I'm still gonna stick with Dysert. His OL sucked. He does similar things in college that we do here. Has good pocket awareness when his OL does anything, good mobility and he has a rocket arm. Look at some of those medium and short passes and how he zips those things around...

I haven't looked at QB prospects in years...I like this Dysert guy...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
Let me preface this by saying ive only seen Nassib play in 4 games. I agree his footwork is not great and it causes a large portion of his bad throws. I think he is a better athlete than you seem to give him credit for, but yes he nowhere near RG3 (most arenít) Luck, or Wilson. Athletically I would compare him to Cutler. Everything I have read about him says he is a hardworking kid who is very smart which makes me believe his footwork, and decision making can improve under Kubiak. I in no way believe he can supplant Schaub soon; just that he is the kind of guy that will be able to cash in on his physical ability. Thanks for responding though, you canít believe everything you read on the web and I appreciate your input.
Oh, I don't discount his athletic ability.
I did say that he has a chance to be a starter in the NFL if he keeps working at it and improve.

I just don't think he has the upside to be a top ten QB.

His ceiling, IMO, is an average NFL QB.
On the other hand, he may never become a starter.
Old 12-26-2012   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah...I'm still gonna stick with Dysert. His OL sucked. He does similar things in college that we do here. Has good pocket awareness when his OL does anything, good mobility and he has a rocket arm. Look at some of those medium and short passes and how he zips those things around...

I haven't looked at QB prospects in years...I like this Dysert guy...
I like Dysert upside.

I've watched him when scouting Brook last year.

Been watching some more.

He's a gamer alright. He can extend some plays and he throws very well on the run.

He takes too much time in the pocket more than I'd like (sacks).
He got away with scrambling quite a bit due to the level of competition, I don't think he can get away like that at the next level.

He has the footwork , but sometimes doesn't use it to his advantage.
Need to keep those legs chopping in the pocket.

And sometimes he makes silly mistakes.

I still want to watch more of him; he does have good potential.

I wouldn't say that he has a rocket arm, but he has made longer throw than Schaub and does have the zip on the deep out.
Old 12-26-2012   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
That's my line as well.
Old 12-26-2012   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quote:
Wilso and Bray, the Tylers would look good in Steel Blue.

Give us your thoughts on Barkley and Landry Jones?
I still need to watch more of Wilson, Bray, and Jones.

I like Barkley; I think he has good potential to be an upgrade over Schaub.
He should, unless he follows Leinart's and VY's footstep.

I saw a lot of dropped balls; PIs - some called, some not, both affected his stat lines; receiver not running the route properly.

He does need not to try to do too much at times.
But overall, I see a guy that can be a better than average NFL QB in a couple of years.

What is his injury status anyway?
Old 12-26-2012   #16
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He's kind of a cocky type of guy, but most QB's that become good/great are that way. Brady/Manning/Brees Cutler/Rodgers/Romo etc... With Garys coaching and Brays god given abilty I think Bray could become great. (Worth a 1st rd pick) If Bray didn't have issues he would be the 1st pick in the draft because he has that kind of ability. IMHO

Think of a young Big Ben
From what i have seen of Bray, he is the most physically gifted Qb in this draft. However, he doesn't have it between the ears. He has played with three guys who are consistently mocked in the first three rounds, but he still never really ran an efficiently explosive offense at the collegiate level. He reminds me less of Stafford and more of JeMarcus Russell or any big armed Qb that never panned out. I wouldn't draft him any higher than the 5th round and even then I wouldn't be too optimistic that he pans out. As for Dysert, his scouting reports are solid and he does seem to have a better arm than Schaub. I'll be paying very close attention to his bowl game, and would love an in depth analysis from rey or 76 if you ever get the time.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thats my boy right there. I would love to see him in steel blue. I wanted him to come out last year so we could draft him. He's gotten better every year. Love his pocket presence and they way he leads his team.
Old 12-27-2012   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I am a fan of Nassib. I dont think he will be a Luck or RG3 level starter, but I do think he would be an upgrade over Schaub (maybe not immediately,but in a year or two... which does not exactly help the Texans win now). Honestly though, there are not any QBs on the level of Luck and RG3 this year. Every player has warts. There are some starters, sure, but no true franchise QBs.

I think Landry Jones has some potential. He has great size and a good arm, and has better mobility than given credit for (certainly better than Schaub). He is a long time starter as well. But I dont think he is an IT can. He reminds me of Schaub at times, in that he looks good when you look at box scores, but when you watch the game he underwhelms you. All the tools are there, but his actual play is lacking.

I wont really go into other players, unless asked. I dont think there are any QBs that would help us win in the short term.
No sh!ti to the bolded. Who is in this draft? Yeh no short term answers for sure but there are guys with potential/ability that if coached right could turn into a far better option than anything we have now. Because of the amount of these type guys (just like the WR's) some should fall further than expected. Depending on who falls and where I would love to see us end up with one of these guys.
Old 12-27-2012   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I still need to watch more of Wilson, Bray, and Jones.

I like Barkley; I think he has good potential to be an upgrade over Schaub.
He should, unless he follows Leinart's and VY's footstep.

I saw a lot of dropped balls; PIs - some called, some not, both affected his stat lines; receiver not running the route properly.

He does need not to try to do too much at times.
But overall, I see a guy that can be a better than average NFL QB in a couple of years.

What is his injury status anyway?
I dont think Barkley will fall to the bottom of the 1st. But if he falls to 15 or so, since the Texans have extra picks they should think about trading up to get him.

Barley is said to be doubtful for his bowl game.But he's a gametime decision.
Old 12-27-2012   #20
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
No sh!ti to the bolded. Who is in this draft? Yeh no short term answers for sure but there are guys with potential/ability that if coached right could turn into a far better option than anything we have now. Because of the amount of these type guys (just like the WR's) some should fall further than expected. Depending on who falls and where I would love to see us end up with one of these guys.
I felt like I had to say it, because I get the feeling that some people think that to be worth a pick they have to be on that level. Those guys are going to be special, and it is going to be hard to EVER get a guy like that. Especially as a well-built team who is unlikely to have a top pick in the foreseeable future.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read