Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-23-2012   #21
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: James Harrison Just Doesn't Get It

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Many of us may have some serious questions and strong criticisms as to where Goodell and the NFL are taking the game........and for what motivations. However, our opinions are usually tethered by a semblance of maturity.

In a 2011 MEN'S JOURNAL article entitled Confessions of an NFL Hitman, Harrison was quoted as using the terms "crook," "devil," "stupid," "puppet" and "dictator" to describe Goodell. He also said: "If that man was on fire and I had to (urinate) to put him out, I wouldn't do it. I hate him and will never respect him."

If you have never read the interview and/or you have any doubts of Harrison's pathologic character, you might read the article in its entirety. The title article picture hints to what lies beneath.

except that Harrison is totally right... Goodell *is* ruining the NFL. I've called and thought much worse of him.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #22
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

ok if i was a Defensive player i would be hamming for the kness all day long they pretty much have no choice these days
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
When the Texans play Peterson this weekend see how many players are aiming for his waist once he gets past the line...They are going to be going for his legs a bunch...He's too big and strong to try and tackle him around his waist for most players...
Watched it as I do every Texans game and the vast, vast majority of tackles were aimed shoulders to thigh pads even by guys like Quin who are not as big as him. Going for the knees is crap both from reality of what happens and sportsmanship. In doing so, while unsuccessful in the game, the Texans broke Peterson's streak of hundred yard games, probably ended his hopes of breaking the yardage record and held him to his season lowest 3.4 ypc.
Old 12-24-2012   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Watched it as I do every Texans game and the vast, vast majority of tackles were aimed shoulders to thigh pads even by guys like Quin who are not as big as him. Going for the knees is crap both from reality of what happens and sportsmanship. In doing so, while unsuccessful in the game, the Texans broke Peterson's streak of hundred yard games, probably ended his hopes of breaking the yardage record and held him to his season lowest 3.4 ypc.
Is the thigh not a part of the leg?

I said there weren't going to be a bunch of people going for his waist.

My quote was accurate.

And I watched the Harrison hit. He didn't have to hit that wr like that. The guy didn't even see him. Not what I'd call a good, clean hit. Looked like he was trying to injure the guy.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is the thigh not a part of the leg?

I said there weren't going to be a bunch of people going for his waist.

My quote was accurate.
Are you trying to crawfish your statement into "exactly at the waist?"

Your quote was not accurate. Fine if you want to try to use the waist as some dividing line - the great majority of tackles were at or above the waist.

To return to the original discussion it is stupid to act like or say if you can't hit them in the head you have to hit them in the knees.
Old 12-24-2012   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you trying to crawfish your statement into "exactly at the waist?"

Your quote was not accurate. Fine if you want to try to use the waist as some dividing line - the great majority of tackles were at or above the waist.

To return to the original discussion it is stupid to act like or say if you can't hit them in the head you have to hit them in the knees.
Find me where I said hit someone in the head. No need to make things up.

I said up high, or down low in the legs. End of discussion. My quote was exactly on point. People are not making a bunch of tackles around peoples waist.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #27
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

What do you expect them to start doing, I said that from the get go when they stopped allowing from the waist up hits, which is basically what happens now, any big hit above the waste gets a flag/fine.

They'll move below the waist, and well the legs will start taking a beating now. Not like they really have a choice anymore.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

WR's fear going across the middle because of the way Harrison plays.

Mission accomplished
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Find me where I said hit someone in the head. No need to make things up.
Try following the thread topic and flow. The whole point was Harrison saying if he can't hit in the head he is going to go for the knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
I said that from the get go when they stopped allowing from the waist up hits, which is basically what happens now, any big hit above the waste gets a flag/fine.
Totally incorrect. There is no rule against hits above the waist, in fact the majority are above the waist. There isn't even a ban on hitting the head - just certain circumstances.
Old 12-27-2012   #30
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Try following the thread topic and flow. The whole point was Harrison saying if he can't hit in the head he is going to go for the knees.

Totally incorrect. There is no rule against hits above the waist, in fact the majority are above the waist. There isn't even a ban on hitting the head - just certain circumstances.
But if someone ducks and you hit them hard enough to snap back their head then you are going to get fined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guNB1nQIsH4

That was a completely legal hit yet still flagged.

Old 12-27-2012   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
But if someone ducks and you hit them hard enough to snap back their head then you are going to get fined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guNB1nQIsH4

That was a completely legal hit yet still flagged.
There is clear helmet to helmet contact. In addition his shoulder strikes his helmet. That was not a legal hit. Look up the defenseless player rule. Now if he had hit him about six inches lower it would have been fine.

By the way, hard hits from the front result in the head snapping forward. The head being hit results in it snapping back.
Old 12-28-2012   #32
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
There is clear helmet to helmet contact. In addition his shoulder strikes his helmet. That was not a legal hit. Look up the defenseless player rule. Now if he had hit him about six inches lower it would have been fine.

By the way, hard hits from the front result in the head snapping forward. The head being hit results in it snapping back.
Disagree, slowing frame to frame you can clearly see that he is hitting the right shoulder of vernon with his helmet, and his shoulder is on the ball, that's almost textbook for dislodging someone from the ball.

KJ fined as well no, another 20k fine that totally is inconsistent.

Old 12-28-2012   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Disagree, slowing frame to frame you can clearly see that he is hitting the right shoulder of vernon with his helmet, and his shoulder is on the ball, that's almost textbook for dislodging someone from the ball.

KJ fined as well no, another 20k fine that totally is inconsistent.
What delusional anti-Goodell world are you living in? The helmets clearly hit. I'm not saying I love the rule and in fact have criticized it but that under the current rules is an obviously illegal hit.
Old 12-28-2012   #34
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What delusional anti-Goodell world are you living in? The helmets clearly hit. I'm not saying I love the rule and in fact have criticized it but that under the current rules is an obviously illegal hit.
I must need glasses because I didn't see them hit either. It's pretty durn close but after watching carefully... it does not appear to me that any helmets touched each other. Can you hear them collide in the video?
Old 12-28-2012   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I must need glasses because I didn't see them hit either. It's pretty durn close but after watching carefully... it does not appear to me that any helmets touched each other. Can you hear them collide in the video?
Look at the 20 second mark of the video. I don't judge on the sound because I have no idea who is editing. But look at the motion of the head. This is physics 101. Actually it appears clear to me the helmets contact, but.... If the head is unimpeded and the torso is impacted the head will continue in the direction of movement i.e. snap forward. If the head is impacted it may go in the opposite direction. His head was impacted and that is a violation of the rules as they stand.
Old 12-28-2012   #36
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Look at the 20 second mark of the video. I don't judge on the sound because I have no idea who is editing. But look at the motion of the head. This is physics 101. Actually it appears clear to me the helmets contact, but.... If the head is unimpeded and the torso is impacted the head will continue in the direction of movement i.e. snap forward. If the head is impacted it may go in the opposite direction. His head was impacted and that is a violation of the rules as they stand.
I would attach a screenshot but for some reason I cant not attach anything.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...92384189739122

Old 12-28-2012   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I would attach a screenshot but for some reason I cant not attach anything.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...92384189739122
So you showed a picture where the DB is clearly about to hit him in the facemask/side of the helmet? That is defined as illegal right now. You may not like it but it is spelled out illegal. As I said, six inches lower is totally legal. You keep ignoring the basic physics of the situation. If your body but not your head are impacted the head goes toward the impact. When the opposite happens, the head was impacted.
Old 12-30-2012   #38
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
So you showed a picture where the DB is clearly about to hit him in the facemask/side of the helmet? That is defined as illegal right now. You may not like it but it is spelled out illegal. As I said, six inches lower is totally legal. You keep ignoring the basic physics of the situation. If your body but not your head are impacted the head goes toward the impact. When the opposite happens, the head was impacted.
He's already made contact, not sure if you are watching the same video.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read