Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-25-2012   #41
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub voted 2012 Ed Block Courage Award winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
They obvioulsy gave him the award before the Minnesota game.
Gotta admit that I would hope so.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #42
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98334 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Congratulations Houston "fans."

A man comes back from a career threatening injury and the people closest to him who see his effort every day (his teammates) give him an award.

You take it as an opportunity to slag him.

You get what you have earned.
At this point I am wondering if a lot of our fans even deserve a winner. It's one thing to go nuts on guys like Jacoby Jones and other guys who have never been a consistently good player, but the minute an entire offense plays awful and the QB here gets blasted as if he has stunk it up like David Carr did it just shows no real appreciation for what having a good QB is even like. Hell, you'd think we had Tom Brady for the last 10 years with what the expectations are for our current QB. And the worst part is that Schaub's limitations by his critics have been present for years, but some of his worst critics used to act like he was amazing. Shows what they know really, which isn't much.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #43
Joeycharp89
Veteran

Rep Power: 651 Joeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respected

The way I see it, we've had good weeks and bad weeks on both sides of the ball. I wouldn't throw all the blame on Schaub for that by a long-shot, and I don't get mad at him for not being amazing every week. I've seen every team, and every talented QB have rough patches this season. I just keep on hoping we turn it around in the Play-offs.

Drew Brees went from breaking records to throwing 5 picks for no TDs in one game against the Falcons.

Peyton Manning had a pretty tough day against us earlier this season.

Tom Brady has just been getting hot in the latter part of this season and has been getting help from what I think is an improved run-game.

And there is no way I'd want a Tony Romo or Phillip Rivers running our offense. Schaub may not blow-up opposing defenses every week to bury our opponents, but he neither loses us the game (only rarely) nor does he continually put our team in a bad position.

You can talk all you want about the trends of teams that get hot late, but I'll go ahead and wait and see, then pass judgement once our season is officially over.
Joeycharp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #44
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98334 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeycharp89 View Post
The way I see it, we've had good weeks and bad weeks on both sides of the ball. I wouldn't throw all the blame on Schaub for that by a long-shot, and I don't get mad at him for not being amazing every week. I've seen every team, and every talented QB have rough patches this season. I just keep on hoping we turn it around in the Play-offs.

Drew Brees went from breaking records to throwing 5 picks for no TDs in one game against the Falcons.

Peyton Manning had a pretty tough day against us earlier this season.

Tom Brady has just been getting hot in the latter part of this season and has been getting help from what I think is an improved run-game.

And there is no way I'd want a Tony Romo or Phillip Rivers running our offense. Schaub may not blow-up opposing defenses every week to bury our opponents, but he neither loses us the game (only rarely) nor does he continually put our team in a bad position.

You can talk all you want about the trends of teams that get hot late, but I'll go ahead and wait and see, then pass judgement once our season is officially over.
Great Post!!!
Old 12-25-2012   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Drew Brees has a bad day about once every five years.

Manning had a tough day against us...since then, has he looked bad???

Schaub is struggling. Has been for several games, most notably the game (Vikings) where he needed to be solid and clutch for us.

I guess those who are amazed at the criticism of Schaub are equaled by those who are amazed that he's being held in the same conversation as Brees and Manning. LOL. Wow.
Old 12-25-2012   #46
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Drew Brees has a bad day about once every five years.

Manning had a tough day against us...since then, has he looked bad???

Schaub is struggling. Has been for several games, most notably the game (Vikings) where he needed to be solid and clutch for us.

I guess those who are amazed at the criticism of Schaub are equaled by those who are amazed that he's being held in the same conversation as Brees and Manning. LOL. Wow.
Why are you even comparing him to those guys? Why is a guy who isn't as good as them even being held to that same standard??

With what you expect out of a QB all of a sudden, I think it would be best for you to root for the Texans to completely blow up and become a 1-15 type of team for a few years so we can get top 3 picks every year until we find a "can't miss" type of prospect. Otherwise I don't think that you'll ever be happy with any other QB who isn't elite. And there are typically only 3 to 4 guys like that per year, so we'll probably have to stink for a while before we find a guy that is up to the standards that you are setting.
Old 12-25-2012   #47
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How much more of Matt Schaub do we have to see, in order to say that this guy is really just a notch or two better than David Carr?

I mean, I don't get it. Other than show competency (something Carr couldn't show) what has Matt Schaub accomplished? Even TJ Yates, the guy who didn't improve a lick from last season, went out there and won us a playoff game and almost pushed us through to the AFCC game too!

Doesn't that say something? If TJ Yates can lead this team and do relatively the same as Matt Schaub, what does that say about Matt Schaub?

I'm sorry, but this QB and this HC are mirror images of one another. They are codependent of one another. They need each other. Hell, they practically are the same person through and through. And with that, there's no higher ceiling.

We're at the top. We've maxed out with these two guys.

That's what has me bummed out. I'm at the top, and there's higher levels above us that we're not going to get to. Sort of depressing, actually. Oh well.
jesus.. what a ridiculous thread overall but as usual GP rattled the loudest...

prob should just ignore it but comparing schaub to carr & yates just sounds dumb. totally different qbs. plus last yr the offence averaged ~10 pts more a game with schaub at qb... which isnt 'relatively the same'

he's played a couple poor games lately (the whole offence has) and he's not elite but we know what we're getting by now. give him some semblence of time and he can get the job done still. hes proven before that he can be the focal pt of a successful offence in 09-10 when we couldnt run a lick. hes done the same at times this yr when we needed rescuing that ppl have chosen to ignore (jags, lions) but now that hes failed v the pats & vikes, hes getting killed.

imo the o-line have played really, really poorly lately (and had a below avg yr overall) and with an immobile qb like schaub, thats a deathknell. he doesnt need a run game to be effective but he does need protection... and hes not been getting it so has struggled.

it will be tough to find an upgrade on schaub. it'll be alot easier to upgrade the o-line to get this offence back to its machine like efficiency its been since schaub got here. thats the bigger cause of the recent offensive funk we've seen
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #48
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Why are you even comparing him to those guys? Why is a guy who isn't as good as them even being held to that same standard??

With what you expect out of a QB all of a sudden, I think it would be best for you to root for the Texans to completely blow up and become a 1-15 type of team for a few years so we can get top 3 picks every year until we find a "can't miss" type of prospect. Otherwise I don't think that you'll ever be happy with any other QB who isn't elite. And there are typically only 3 to 4 guys like that per year, so we'll probably have to stink for a while before we find a guy that is up to the standards that you are setting.
I am not comparing him, others are! LMAO!

When other posters toss in Brees and Manning in the same conversation, saying those two guys have bad days--to bring Schaub's bad games into the same conversation--that is not MY idea, it's theirs. Read the posts, Tex. Geez.

The guy looks LOST. And not just one shaky game. He's had one vs. Packers, one vs. Patriots, got a freebie vs. the Titans, and looked his ultimate worst vs. Vikings (in our own stadium, nonetheless).

But hey, yeah...GP is crazy. Just remember: I was the one getting flamed for my predictions about the Patriots game. I was the one getting flamed for my predictions and warnings about the Vikings game. Who among you thought we'd lose to the Vikings???? Huh? That's what I thought.

Ya' know what, everyone, go ahead. Dream yourself into believing that Matt is OK. But he's not. And frankly, he's one shell-shocked moment in the early part of the Colts game away from going full-on head case. You can see it all over the guy, if people wouldn't try so hard to believe otherwise.

He's got that whole body language look to him, it's Kris Brown syndrome...when a guy knows he's not right but he HAS to be out there.

I swear, part of me just wishes we'd go ahead and have to play in the first round and just get this **** over with. I don't know if I can stand everyone pretending they don't see anything wrong or that this is just a passing phase that will be long forgotten after we "beat" the Colts in their house (which we've never done, which will be attempted after having gotten our brains beat out by ourselves and the Vikings last Sunday). Yeah, we got those Colts and the rest of the AFC playoff teams right where we want 'em.

Old 12-26-2012   #49
Textan
Veteran

Rep Power: 4035 Textan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respectedTextan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not comparing him, others are! LMAO!

When other posters toss in Brees and Manning in the same conversation, saying those two guys have bad days--to bring Schaub's bad games into the same conversation--that is not MY idea, it's theirs. Read the posts, Tex. Geez.

The guy looks LOST. And not just one shaky game. He's had one vs. Packers, one vs. Patriots, got a freebie vs. the Titans, and looked his ultimate worst vs. Vikings (in our own stadium, nonetheless).

But hey, yeah...GP is crazy. Just remember: I was the one getting flamed for my predictions about the Patriots game. I was the one getting flamed for my predictions and warnings about the Vikings game. Who among you thought we'd lose to the Vikings???? Huh? That's what I thought.

Ya' know what, everyone, go ahead. Dream yourself into believing that Matt is OK. But he's not. And frankly, he's one shell-shocked moment in the early part of the Colts game away from going full-on head case. You can see it all over the guy, if people wouldn't try so hard to believe otherwise.

He's got that whole body language look to him, it's Kris Brown syndrome...when a guy knows he's not right but he HAS to be out there.

I swear, part of me just wishes we'd go ahead and have to play in the first round and just get this **** over with. I don't know if I can stand everyone pretending they don't see anything wrong or that this is just a passing phase that will be long forgotten after we "beat" the Colts in their house (which we've never done, which will be attempted after having gotten our brains beat out by ourselves and the Vikings last Sunday). Yeah, we got those Colts and the rest of the AFC playoff teams right where we want 'em.
GP has become my official spokesperson in regards to Schaub's ineptness.
There's something terribly wrong with Schaub. Couldn't agree more. And if anyone believes this guy will take us to the promise land, disillusionment will surely come your way.
I'll say it again; for Schaub to be somewhat successful all facets of the offense have to run just about flawlessly. Because, and even you Schaub supporters will agree, just a hair of pressure, a smidgen, will set him on a course for sure disaster. Scramble out of the pocket, forget about it. You know this last game I watched about three sacks that I could have sworn Schaub actually fell down before the threat was an undeniable fact. Just fell, fetal position and all.
I too watched the Oilers from the early 70's until they left, and I don't want to see the same endless heart break, frustration, and anger with these Texans.
Textan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #50
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

4,000 yards on a run first team, a better than 2-1 TD/INT ratio, and 12+ wins ... all after an injury that should've had him on the PUP, if he were able to play again at all (dude's foot got turned into an accordion). good call.
Old 12-26-2012   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textan View Post
I'll say it again; for Schaub to be somewhat successful all facets of the offense have to run just about flawlessly.
Do some of you even think? With a crap running game in a system predicated on play action passing where "the D has to respect the running game" Schaub led the league in passing. There is some legitimate criticism and discussion going on but the hyperbole is drowning it out.
Old 12-26-2012   #52
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do some of you even think? With a crap running game in a system predicated on play action passing where "the D has to respect the running game" Schaub led the league in passing. There is some legitimate criticism and discussion going on but the hyperbole is drowning it out.
yep & lets not even talk about 2009 when he had 0 running game: 4000 yds passing 29/12 TD/int
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #53
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

John Kitna once had back to back 4,000 yard seasons with a bad running game too.

I think Schaub is a little better than Kitna though. Kitna made a lot of mistakes.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
John Kitna once had back to back 4,000 yard seasons with a bad running game too.
Missed the point entirely. The assertion I was responding to, you can see it because it is quoted, was everything had to be perfect for Schaub to have any success.
Old 12-26-2012   #55
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Missed the point entirely. The assertion I was responding to, you can see it because it is quoted, was everything had to be perfect for Schaub to have any success.
My point was that lots of QB's can throw for a lot of yards if they get enough attempts.
Old 12-26-2012   #56
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point was that lots of QB's can throw for a lot of yards if they get enough attempts.
It's not that he needed the attempts. He got the yards because he was dropping bombs downfield. Schaub was often leading the league in 20+ yard and 40+ yard passes. His play action gets bit more any anyone else. He is a MASTER at it.
Old 12-26-2012   #57
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Which would almost be meaningful if lots of QB's were doing it or Schaub was getting an unusual number of attempts - neither of which is true.
Old 12-26-2012   #58
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Which would almost be meaningful if lots of QB's were doing it or Schaub was getting an unusual number of attempts - neither of which is true.
Since 2002 7 different QB's have led the league in passing.

Culpepper
Gannon
Schaub
Manning
Brady
Brees
Rivers

In 10 years 7 different guys. What did all of these QB's have in common when they did it?

A bunch of attempts. Some were much more efficient than others while doing it, but my point is that leading the yards in passing is not some kind of ultimate accomplishment in itself.

Is that what Schaub has to hang his hat on? A couple of 4,000 yard seasons when we sucked and he was throwing the ball more than everyone else?
Old 12-26-2012   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Since 2002 7 different QB's have led the league in passing.

Culpepper
Gannon
Schaub
Manning
Brady
Brees
Rivers

In 10 years 7 different guys. What did all of these QB's have in common when they did it?

A bunch of attempts. Some were much more efficient than others while doing it, but my point is that leading the yards in passing is not some kind of ultimate accomplishment in itself.

Is that what Schaub has to hang his hat on? A couple of 4,000 yard seasons when we sucked and he was throwing the ball more than everyone else?
Wow. OK Schaub was not slinging it around on every play. The scheme has been very consistent. With no rushing game - 583 attempts. With the league's best rusher - 574 attempts. He has been on a 4000 yd type pace for five seasons in a row which as you may have noticed includes two playoff seasons. Talk to the run first people and work this out.
Old 12-26-2012   #60
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Wow. OK Schaub was not slinging it around on every play. The scheme has been very consistent. With no rushing game - 583 attempts. With the league's best rusher - 574 attempts. He has been on a 4000 yd type pace for five seasons in a row which as you may have noticed includes two playoff seasons. Talk to the run first people and work this out.

I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to figure out that the more possessions you have the more plays you can run.

We have a better defense that has given us the ball more often. So I'd expect the total amount of plays to have grown as well.

And if you want to talk to the run first people you need to talk to Kubiak because he's the one that keeps saying that our passing game doesn't work well when we aren't running it well. He's the one that says it starts with the running game...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read