Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-25-2012   #1
AndyWin
Nguyenning

Rep Power: 4493 AndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respectedAndyWin is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We have a backup quarterback being coached by a backup quarterback

Of all starting quarterbacks, I would honestly take any of the below over Schaub in a heartbeat at this point in their respective careers. Can you guys really argue Schaub over any of these guys?

None of our 12 wins stand out at all. @ Denver while they were adjusting early on. Baltimore has proven to be not as good as advertised. Same with Chicago.
Schaub will NEVER be the leader this team needs in primetime and when games matter most. If this team gets down by 2+ scores, we're fuc*ed... All of our wins come from defensive forced turnovers and scores or Arian Foster playing very well to where any QB could come in with a playaction call.

Back to that list:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Big Ben
Andrew Luck
Tony Romo (pains me to even say this, but I would because he at least tries to make plays and can make plays with feet and arm)
Eli Manning
RG III
Jay Cutler (similar to Romo... at least he tries to make plays and can with feet and arm)
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Ryan
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ryan Tannehill
AndyWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #2
coon
Veteran

Rep Power: 4738 coon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respectedcoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We have a backup quarterback being coached by a backup quarterback

Pump the brakes there buddy, I am all for upgrading Schaub but that list does not include Tannehill, Stafford, or Cutler.
coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #3
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We're in an era where there are some extremely good QB's around the league while only a few years ago we had the likes of Rex Grossman starting on good teams. That puts what you are saying into perspective somewhat.

I'd add Romo to the disagree list too, he tries to make plays when he's chasing and it hurts his team when it doesn't come off.

4 players come off your list, another 3 are rookies/second year, who's development can't be judged and suddenly you are putting Schaub in the top 10.

Even with the full crazy list you quote he's top half of the league.

Schaub is best as a game manager who can get the ball to a good set of receivers. Andre is back to his best but Walter has dropped off and there is a number of inexperienced guys at WR looking to take over the #2 role. We lost an excellent #2 TE and RZ threat in dreessen, half our Oline, it'll take time to adjust.

I'm all for looking to upgrade Schaub through the draft, even throwing fairly high draft picks at the position, but we couldn't afford Manning or Brees, I doubt we could even afford someone on Schaub's level without a bit of hometown discount.

This place has had a sky is falling mentality ever since free agency last year, I've not been able to post recently but I've been watching and its been crazy some of the **** thats being thrown about, the team has achieved everything that could have been expected of it over the regular season and they have a great chance in the playoffs.

Schaub has been a big part of that, but he's not on the level where he can throw the team on his back, when he plays well he can maximise the talent around him. So yeah, maybe he needs to play up to his own ability when the playoffs start but its too early to start slating him yet.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #4
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by coon View Post
Pump the brakes there buddy, I am all for upgrading Schaub but that list does not include Tannehill, Stafford, or Cutler.
stafford has a rocket arm, big-play ability, and is a very tough qb ...he is an absolute upgrade over schaub in every way, shape, and form.. i get cutler, hes been in shannys system before, and is a bit of a whiny *****. the jury is still going to be out on tannehill. but no to stafford, really?? i would add cam & rivers to that list as well. the sooner you embrace the fact that the texans system creates good qbs you will realize that the qbs people think perform below average elsewhere, would thrive here..
Old 12-25-2012   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The title of the thread is something I have been saying a lot lately.

Our head coach was a career backup QB, who sat behind an all-world QB (Elway), holding a clipboard and eventually becoming a coach.

Now this guy has a career backup, Schaub, who is JUST like him...except now Gary gets to control Matt (a starter by Kubiak's standard) and IMO it's like the parent who lives vicariously through his son's talents.

When your HC and your QB are practically the SAME PERSON, you're screwed unless you were a great QB and your QB you're coaching is great too.

Unfortunately we have a HC who has hit his ceiling, and his QB has hit that same ceiling with him. The good news is that both of those guys got big new deals with the Texans, so we get to watch them play with one another for, oh, another 3 or 4 years. Fantastic!
Old 12-25-2012   #6
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWin View Post
Of all starting quarterbacks, I would honestly take any of the below over Schaub in a heartbeat at this point in their respective careers. Can you guys really argue Schaub over any of these guys?

None of our 12 wins stand out at all. @ Denver while they were adjusting early on. Baltimore has proven to be not as good as advertised. Same with Chicago.
Schaub will NEVER be the leader this team needs in primetime and when games matter most. If this team gets down by 2+ scores, we're fuc*ed... All of our wins come from defensive forced turnovers and scores or Arian Foster playing very well to where any QB could come in with a playaction call.

Back to that list:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Big Ben
Andrew Luck
Tony Romo (pains me to even say this, but I would because he at least tries to make plays and can make plays with feet and arm)
Eli Manning
RG III
Jay Cutler (similar to Romo... at least he tries to make plays and can with feet and arm)
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Ryan
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Ryan Tannehill
Agreed. I would add Philip Rivers on that list. And definitely Romo. Those two in these system playing with AJ, Foster, Daniel is a salivating scenario.
I know people here will bury guys like that because they take too much risky throws. I love QB that take risks. Sure, they would throw more ints than Schaub. Sure, they will lose us games with those kind of throws. But I could still see someone like Rivers and Romo winning more games for us than a guy with a live-to-fight-another-day approach.

If you take away Brett Favre gun-slinging mentality and put in Matt Schaub safe mental-like approach there's no way Favre is a hall-of-famer. There's no way David Tyrese get that opportunity to make that spectacular catch in the Giants SB.

As a crew in this sinking ship I rather see my captain go down in his ship while fighting off his enemies.
Sadly with Schaub, he's fighting his enemies with one foot in a lifeboat.

-"The progress of civilization through out times are made by men who take risks."

John F. Kennedy

14 months later we had men on the moon.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #7
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we merge all the "Shaub Sucks" threads?

Just an FYI our cap situation won't allow US to bring a big name in through trade or FA. Oh and let's remember where Shaub ranks compared to the last franchise QB we drafted. Great QB's aren't growing on trees, and anyone not named Brees, P. Manning, or Brady have serious flaws as well.

Its good to vent but let's do it with some perspective.
Old 12-25-2012   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Lou, it seems to be the season of griping about everything. I honestly think I saw less griping 3 years ago

Either that or I learned to take a couple of breaths ,count to 10 , and relax a bit
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
-"The progress of civilization through out times are made by men who take risks."

John F. Kennedy

14 months later we had men on the moon.
There's something wrong with that timeline.

Schaub must play better than he did last week. That performance is unacceptable going forward. The past 5 AFC champs had a 1st round bye. This game is a must win for the Texans championship aspirations.
Old 12-25-2012   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Can we merge all the "Shaub Sucks" threads?

Just an FYI our cap situation won't allow US to bring a big name in through trade or FA. Oh and let's remember where Shaub ranks compared to the last franchise QB we drafted. Great QB's aren't growing on trees, and anyone not named Brees, P. Manning, or Brady have serious flaws as well.

Its good to vent but let's do it with some perspective.
I don't think most people have pipe dreams of getting some new dazzling QB.

Rather, people are waking up and realizing that Schaub is it. He's it. That's all. Few QBs in the NFL can overcome bad OL play, a lackluster run game, or WRs dropping passes. Matt has had games where he's encountered one, or more, or all of those circumstances. He can't overcome it.

I'm at peace with it. It's terminal. Nothing we can do about it.

I think what I'm seeing is most of the long-timers here, they've seen this team at all stages...they've been in on all the conversations going all the way back to 2002 and onward...they're knowledgable enough to see the writing on the wall, and they're speaking up.

There's less hatred and anger now than there was after the 2-14 season. There's less anger and hatred and vitriol here now than there was after the 2010 season. After Carr had his one year under Kubiak here.

No, there's nothing more here--right now--than sort of that gut feeling that this team is on borrowed time. What will happen in 2013 for this team? Who knows. The hunch is that they'll make a few good draft choices, they'll get Cushing back, and yet where does it all go once the playoffs draw near next season? Probably the same outcome. Or, the Colts pass us by.

Inevitably is not my fault. Not the fault of bad fans. It is what it is.
Old 12-25-2012   #11
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny how fast everyone forgets Schaubs 2008 thru 2010 seasons. When we had one of the top passing teams in the league but no defense to back it up. Has schaub looked bad (as of late) hell yeah he has, but I wouldn't write him off just yet. What is he like 17-3 in his last 20 starts ? Give me a break

There's more to the story than it being just schaub who isn't playing well.
Old 12-25-2012   #12
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless your list includes more than 32 QBs, your thread title is invalid.
Old 12-25-2012   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

We are getting close to an all encompassing Schaub thread.
Old 12-25-2012   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Unless your list includes more than 32 QBs, your thread title is invalid.
There you go. Finding somebody AVAILABLE that's better than Schaub is not a cakewalk. Maybe we draft somebody after next year. I hear this year's QBs are nothing to get excited about.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #15
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
There you go. Finding somebody AVAILABLE that's better than Schaub is not a cakewalk. Maybe we draft somebody after next year. I hear this year's QBs are nothing to get excited about.
Its not even about someone available. i think most here know deep down there's noone out in FA that's worth a damn. the problem is People see whats going this year with RG3, luck and wilson and just think that its a sinch to go out and draft a franchise altering qb and that's so far from the case.

2 of those guys went 1..2 in the draft. The other guy had every team in the league pass on him twice before he was selected. Between luck/rg3 and wilson there were 3 other qb's taken that haven't shown much of any promise that they'll be franchise altering guys.

So Where this notion comes from that its so easy to land a franchise qb in the draft is beyond me.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #16
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I don't think most people have pipe dreams of getting some new dazzling QB.

Rather, people are waking up and realizing that Schaub is it. He's it. That's all. Few QBs in the NFL can overcome bad OL play, a lackluster run game, or WRs dropping passes. Matt has had games where he's encountered one, or more, or all of those circumstances. He can't overcome it.

I'm at peace with it. It's terminal. Nothing we can do about it.

I think what I'm seeing is most of the long-timers here, they've seen this team at all stages...they've been in on all the conversations going all the way back to 2002 and onward...they're knowledgable enough to see the writing on the wall, and they're speaking up.

There's less hatred and anger now than there was after the 2-14 season. There's less anger and hatred and vitriol here now than there was after the 2010 season. After Carr had his one year under Kubiak here.

No, there's nothing more here--right now--than sort of that gut feeling that this team is on borrowed time. What will happen in 2013 for this team? Who knows. The hunch is that they'll make a few good draft choices, they'll get Cushing back, and yet where does it all go once the playoffs draw near next season? Probably the same outcome. Or, the Colts pass us by.

Inevitably is not my fault. Not the fault of bad fans. It is what it is.
I agree.

Time to run what you brung....

Shaub is what he is but he does do some good, I think some folks are acting as if he is Gabbert or something. Shaub has his short comings for sure, but the OL and playcallling have been underwhelming as of late. We should have run somemscreens to slow down the Vikings DL. Kubiak is either holding back, or has lost his touch on offense.
Old 12-25-2012   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
We are getting close to an all encompassing Schaub thread.
And we know what THAT means...

Old 12-25-2012   #18
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Its not even about someone available. i think most here know deep down there's noone out in FA that's worth a damn. the problem is People see whats going this year with RG3, luck and wilson and just think that its a sinch to go out and draft a franchise altering qb and that's so far from the case.

2 of those guys went 1..2 in the draft. The other guy had every team in the league pass on him twice before he was selected. Between luck/rg3 and wilson there were 3 other qb's taken that haven't shown much of any promise that they'll be franchise altering guys.

So Where this notion comes from that its so easy to land a franchise qb in the draft is beyond me.
Ok you dirty little squirrel you. Show one post that suggest we need to replace Schaub with a "FRANCHISE" QB. You can't! No one thinks we're going to just be able to replace Sloth Schaub over night with a "FRANCHISE" QB.

We just want someone better than Schaub. That is no where near as hard as finding a "FRANCHISE" QB.
Old 12-25-2012   #19
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

pretty much all thoes QB;s wont be avabile

the draft clas and F/a class next year kinda sucks so right now we only hvae 3 qb's right now

Matt yates and keenum better like one of thoes 3 because thats all ur going to see right now
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #20
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
What is he like 17-3 in his last 20 starts ? Give me a break

There's more to the story than it being just schaub who isn't playing well.
You think teams in the playoff care about a QB with 17-3 record with zero playoff games?
The Texans are like that big kid that bully everyone at the beginning of the school year. Then words got out that bully got punked in gym class. Then later it happen again during band practice. And again while getting off the school bus. Now prom is coming up. Someone there is gonna make a statement to that punk kid by dumping a big bowl of fruit punch over his head.

That's where I stand with the Texans. When playoff comes it could get embarrassing and pathetic.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read