Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-25-2012   #161
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I thinks its time...

I am reserving judgement until the playoffs. The reason is that I have seen two different Schaubs this season. One is sharp, ballsy, and will sacrifice his ear if it means completing the pass. The other is spooked, off rhythm, incapable of passing for 10 yards while mobile, and will dive at the turf the second he sees a defender closing in.

To support this observation, I'll quote Rick Smith from late September:

Quote:
"I’ll tell you what, Matt’s got a really, really strong command of our offense. He understands what Gary (Kubiak) wants when Gary calls a play. He’s got some input during the week in terms of plays that he likes. But he’s been tremendous over these last few weeks. It’s pretty apparent when you watch him that he knows where the ball’s ought to go, and he’s got good rhythm. Just very proud of him and the way that he stood up and led our football team in a very tough environment. For us to come out and perform the way we did on the road two weeks in a row has been fantastic.”
That is the Schaub we saw in Denver. That is not the Schaub I saw against the Vikings or Patriots.

We can only speculate on the reasons why, but I see two possible outcomes:

A) Whether by instruction or by his own accord, Schaub is desperately avoiding physical contact in order to preserve his health for the playoffs. If so, we would see a different performance in the post season.

B) Whether physical or mental, something in his game has been rattled, and we will not see much improvement in the post season. This would make him vulnerable to Rick Smith's 20/70/10 philosophy. If Schaub falls from the 20% to the 70%, he is a burden on the team. Smith's approach to resolving this kind of burden has been described as "detached." I won't guess how he would go about resolving it, or how aggressively, but it opens the door to a change being made.

It all depends on what we see in the post season.

Last edited by Brisco_County; 12-25-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #162
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Schaub is not a guy who can win 3-4 games a season single handedly. He just isnt. Look past the sugar coating of a 12 win season and stop lying to yourself.
& why would he need to? This is a team game. With Schaub, we're 12-3, are you saying with Brady we would be 15-0? & if we were, what would that change?

We'd be able to rest some players next week?

If we win next week, we're in the same position. So what.

I'm not a big fan of Schaub's but it doesn't make sense to be wasting draft picks trying to replace the guy. We're 12-3 right now, because we drafted guys like Connor Barwin, Antoine Caldwell, Ben Tate, Earl Mitchell, Darryl Sharpton, Brooks Reed, Brandon Harris, Devier Posey, & Brandon Brooks.... everyone of these guys have stepped in & helped us get to 12-3

I get what you're saying about a better QB. I'd like to have a better QB. But no team in the league would be actively trying to replace their QB if they had Matt Schaub.
Old 12-25-2012   #163
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87281 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I get what you're saying about a better QB. I'd like to have a better QB. But no team in the league would be actively trying to replace their QB if they had Matt Schaub.
Im not suggesting we spend a first round pick on a quarterback. I can be critical of schaub and still think hes a decent qb. I just dont see the guy create on his own when a play breaks down. It doesn't take 5 years to evaluate a quarterback. Schaub is normally a dependable game manager who plays within the system. He's an average leader with a pop gun arm and zero mobility. He has no discernibly great traits.

This offseason Kubiak should golf with more quarterbacks or look for a talent in the 2nd to 4th round.
Old 12-25-2012   #164
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
Im not suggesting we spend a first round pick on a quarterback. I can be critical of schaub and still think hes a decent qb. I just dont see the guy create on his own when a play breaks down. It doesn't take 5 years to evaluate a quarterback. Schaub is normally a dependable game manager who plays within the system. He's an average leader with a pop gun arm and zero mobility. He has no discernibly great traits.

This offseason Kubiak should golf with more quarterbacks or look for a talent in the 2nd to 4th round.
I agree it's very far & between that Schaub makes a play. I've said the same thing again, & again, & again... If he leaves the pocket, the play is over. May as well just thrown it away.

But Schaub has had some moments this year. The Denver game comes to mind. That win was on Schaub if you ask me.

You & many others don't remember or refuse to take into account the good that he's done with this team & for this team. Stats are funny, but if you look at Matt's there are some definite trends that are 180 from your summation of our QB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read