Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-24-2012   #21
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 127519 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub voted 2012 Ed Block Courage Award winner

"Courage" is in the awards name.

Schaub getting it has to be a joke for sure.
Old 12-24-2012   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub can take his award and melt it down, then form it into a hood ornament for his motorized scooter for all I care.

The hood ornament should be something representative of this team, though. Maybe it could be Schaub in a letter jacket, eating tofu, while riding a Segway?

This team ****ed up what was going to be a great season. I'm so pissed off.

Congratulations, Matthew. This award means so much to all of Texans Nation. You did it. You won.
Old 12-24-2012   #23
Yesterday
Veteran

Rep Power: 3740 Yesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respectedYesterday is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
How about giving it to someone who took a LOT of flak from the fans and media, sucked it up, turned their career around and is now performing beyond expectations on the field?

Kareem Jackson gets my vote.
Agreed. Kareem the Dream has played at a well above average level this season.
Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Congratulations Houston "fans."

A man comes back from a career threatening injury and the people closest to him who see his effort every day (his teammates) give him an award.

You take it as an opportunity to slag him.

You get what you have earned.
Old 12-24-2012   #25
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I, too, think the wrong guy won.

But that's par for the course. Everything there is scripted, contrived, "plastic."

Kareem Jackson has been nails this year, IMO. And before now, he had his back against the wall like no other player.
Old 12-25-2012   #26
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

A man comes back from a career threatening injury and the people closest to him who see his effort every day (his teammates) give him an award.

A very good doctor performed surgery on him and he did his rehab.

"Courageous", thy name is Schaub.

Look, they could have taken his leg off at the knee and replaced it with a prosthetic limb and I question whether he'd have lost a step. His career might have been threatened if it had come with a cast iron ball and a chain but other than that I don't see him getting any slower. But fine, I'm proud of him. Good job Matt. Keep kicking ass and taking names dude!

You Da Man! unless we need to score some points against an opponent at home apparently....
Old 12-25-2012   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
You Da Man! unless we need to score some points against an opponent at home apparently....
Funny, I seem to remember him having 5 scoring drives to bring us back twice from 21 pt deficits at home against the Ravens who were at the time one of the top 3 D's in the league to tie the game and two of them were 99 and then 92 yards which set some sort of record against the Ravens D. I'll admit he screwed up in overtime with a pick six. The idea he can't move the ball or perform under pressure is ludicrous. We wouldn't have been in overtime BUT FOR his performance to get us there. Are we really down to at home distinctions? - last I checked playing on the road was supposed to be tougher. He has scored points at critical times in conjunction with the rest of the offense on many occasions. The anger being expressed is overboard. Not saying he is elite but that's my opinion.
Old 12-25-2012   #28
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Funny, I seem to remember him having 5 scoring drives to bring us back twice from 21 pt deficits at home against the Ravens who were at the time one of the top 3 D's in the league to tie the game and two of them were 99 and then 92 yards which set some sort of record against the Ravens D. I'll admit he screwed up in overtime with a pick six. The idea he can't move the ball or perform under pressure is ludicrous. We wouldn't have been in overtime BUT FOR his performance to get us there. Are we really down to at home distinctions? - last I checked playing on the road was supposed to be tougher. He has scored points at critical times in conjunction with the rest of the offense on many occasions. The anger being expressed is overboard. Not saying he is elite but that's my opinion.

I'm sorry man, this is just what I'm hearing when I read this. Maybe it is overboard but I've never liked this guy as our QB, never believe in him, and am sick to death of watching him play. I got this way watching Moon too back in the day for the same reason. When it comes time to win the game that right up there is what you get from Matt Schaub. I got to where I knew Moon was going to throw the pick that broke the Oilers back and he was usually good for it. So is Matt.

Remember when the board hit that point where enough people were ready to see the end of the David Carr era? That "critical mass" moment when people didn't even care anymore whether Kubiak could somehow fix him? Well, before that moment got here it started with a few people thinking that, and then a few more, and then a few more after that. I don't know where we are with Matt Schaub today but I know where I'm at and I'm tired of watching this guy play. I know what I'm going to see.

I also know that very few people are there and nobody with the Houston Texans is there. I know I'm going to be watching Matt for some time, probably years to come. I'm just not making any more bones about it. I hate the guy's game and want him replaced. That's officially where I fall on the subject of Matt Schaub going forward.
Old 12-25-2012   #29
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I got to where I knew Moon was going to throw the pick that broke the Oilers back and he was usually good for it. So is Matt.
Manning and Brees have more interceptions than Schaub. Shoot... just about the damn entire league has more interceptions than Schaub this year! Schaub throwing picks to end games is an urban legend. I don't know where your hate is coming from on the picks. Yes, Baltimore happened. Sh#t happens. Get over it.
Old 12-25-2012   #30
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Oh? Much like the eyes of Bob Griese, two time Super Bowl victor, who's eyes were as flat and dead as an eight-day-old mackerel? Yeah, Bob makes Schaub look like meth tweaker.

Much to do about nothing, this killer instinct and those eyes. A lot of good it's doing Philip Rivers right now.
All that I am saying is....where's the emotion? He throws an interception and waltzes off of the field and sits down. I'd be pissed and everyone would know it. Kubiak just walks the sideline with his play board under his arms.

Conversly, when he throws a touch down, you see a fist pump and another waltz off. How about sprinting down to the end zone and celebrating with the team?

I have been supporting both of these guys from day one. I would just like to see them a little more excited about whatever the turn of events.

This is about the only emotion you see from Kube.
Old 12-25-2012   #31
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just want to add that our running game had the Baltimore D WORN THE F. OUT and Kubiak decided to have Matt throw the ball out of the endzone, instead of running it. All we needed to do was not turn the ball over and Kubiak outsmarted himself. Pressure came hard and fast right up the middle (Myers), and THEN Schaub made a bad pass. We should've owned the rest of that OT, but Kubes had to get all tricky-dicky on himself. I can't blame that one on Schaub.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 385172 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #33
GP 
Go Texans!

How much more of Matt Schaub do we have to see, in order to say that this guy is really just a notch or two better than David Carr?

I mean, I don't get it. Other than show competency (something Carr couldn't show) what has Matt Schaub accomplished? Even TJ Yates, the guy who didn't improve a lick from last season, went out there and won us a playoff game and almost pushed us through to the AFCC game too!

Doesn't that say something? If TJ Yates can lead this team and do relatively the same as Matt Schaub, what does that say about Matt Schaub?

I'm sorry, but this QB and this HC are mirror images of one another. They are codependent of one another. They need each other. Hell, they practically are the same person through and through. And with that, there's no higher ceiling.

We're at the top. We've maxed out with these two guys.

That's what has me bummed out. I'm at the top, and there's higher levels above us that we're not going to get to. Sort of depressing, actually. Oh well.
Old 12-25-2012   #34
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were Schaub and I read this thread... I would demand to be traded. WTF have you people been eating? You all have been slowly poisoned this year. GP is your Jim Jones.
Old 12-25-2012   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
If I were Schaub and I read this thread... I would demand to be traded. WTF have you people been eating? You all have been slowly poisoned this year. GP is your Jim Jones.
Nah. I'm just that caring, objective Hospice worker who loves all of you through your denial, through your anger, your confusion, etc.

I've seen it before. I see it happening again. No big deal, it is life.

What can we do? Nothing. I just won't be pulled into the realm of fantasy that says all of this goes away. It is what it is. Schaub needs to be benched, for the good of the team, but this HC won't do it. He loves the guy beyond measure.

So therefore, we're all being taken down a familiar path of mediocrity for the sake of "loyalty" and "continuity" and such.

Like I said: I found peace with it. I've learned there is nothing that can happen other than a miracle in the 11th hour. The Jets with Namath found a way to do the impossible. MAYBE this team can do the same. But they need outside help to get there. That's the best I can summon, in terms of being positive.
Old 12-25-2012   #36
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Nah. I'm just that caring, objective Hospice worker who loves all of you through your denial, through your anger, your confusion, etc.

I've seen it before. I see it happening again. No big deal, it is life.

What can we do? Nothing. I just won't be pulled into the realm of fantasy that says all of this goes away. It is what it is. Schaub needs to be benched, for the good of the team, but this HC won't do it. He loves the guy beyond measure.

So therefore, we're all being taken down a familiar path of mediocrity for the sake of "loyalty" and "continuity" and such.

Like I said: I found peace with it. I've learned there is nothing that can happen other than a miracle in the 11th hour. The Jets with Namath found a way to do the impossible. MAYBE this team can do the same. But they need outside help to get there. That's the best I can summon, in terms of being positive.

Lol at for the good of the team. The stuff u guys come up with just..

We backed into the playoffs last year with yates. we had awful losses against the 1-15 colts and had a disgusting loss against Carolina....at home. This loss against the vikes isnt anywhere near those 2 losses b/c at least the vikes are a potential playoff team. The 2 losses against the teams i mentioned above were against teams that weren't sniffing the playoffs.

You guys need to really calm it down with the hyperbole.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #37
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would LOVE to get a better QB than Schaub, but there definitely is NOT one currently on our roster, and top 10, or especially top 5 QBs do not grow on trees. This team won in spite of Yates last year, not because of him, and I'd think his 3 ints. against Baltimore would have proven that to people. That was the only time Kubiak let him air it out and THAT was the result. He has potential, but he is not there yet. Also, benching Schaub right now is about the closest thing I can think of to Kubiak just quitting. Chew him out, reem him a new one, fine; but, you don't bench your only currently good (but not great) QB when you need to win the last game of the season to get HFA.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012   #38
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I would LOVE to get a better QB than Schaub, but there definitely is NOT one currently on our roster, and top 10, or especially top 5 QBs do not grow on trees. This team won in spite of Yates last year, not because of him, and I'd think his 3 ints. against Baltimore would have proven that to people. That was the only time Kubiak let him air it out and THAT was the result. He has potential, but he is not there yet. Also, benching Schaub right now is about the closest thing I can think of to Kubiak just quitting. Chew him out, reem him a new one, fine; but, you don't bench your only currently good (but not great) QB when you need to win the last game of the season to get HFA.
I am not advocating the benching of Schaub. We have to finish the year with what we have on the field. Losing some key defensive people have not helped our situation either. It really hurt us when we lost Cushing.

I am saying that maybe this should be Schaub and Kube's last year as Texans. I agree with others here, maybe they have reached their limits and can't take it to the next level. I hope like hell that they prove me wrong before this season and superbowl is over.
Old 12-25-2012   #39
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Lol at for the good of the team. The stuff u guys come up with just..

We backed into the playoffs last year with yates. we had awful losses against the 1-15 colts and had a disgusting loss against Carolina....at home. This loss against the vikes isnt anywhere near those 2 losses b/c at least the vikes are a potential playoff team. The 2 losses against the teams i mentioned above were against teams that weren't sniffing the playoffs.

You guys need to really calm it down with the hyperbole.
For the record, your snarky comments are the same ones made when I said "Ya know, this Patriots game is bad mojo for us. I mean, we're really not going to have good odds going into this game. We need our own A+ effort AND for the Pats to stumble a bit..." I got flamed for saying that. What happened in that game? Everything I said would happen.

And again, in the Vikings game, even two weeks out from that game, I was here saying "The Vikings game is not a sure-win game for us. Far from it. We have a very real chance of napping on them and losing the game, forcing us to win in the last game in order to get HFA. Which could be a real sad thing if we ended up losing OUT..." And we're one loss away from my gut instinct coming true.

And here you are, mocking and jeering like never before.

Hey, if you think YOUR chest-thumping is going to somehow overcome that sick feeling of inevitability that is settling in on us right now...fine. Have a jolly good time with it. For the rest of us, we're looking at this WAY more objectively than you are.

Mussop is attempting to use humor to defuse the a-hole'ish way you're going about this topic, but I won't do the same. I have ZERO humor to bestow here. I will simply say that I seriously your question your ability to understand the key concepts of momentum, historical proofs of this team and how they handle pressure-cooker games, and the way this team has been coached since Kubiak came here.

If you wanted to be objective, you'd stop asserting that people are crazy, people are jumping off cliffs, we are just fine and dandy, there is no reason for concern. But, you won't. You're committed to your position and we are committed to ours.

There is a WAY, maybe we'll call it Namath Miracle, for this team to win out and get a SB. I mean, yes, technically speaking we have a shot...but come on, man, we've seen enough lately to know that it WILL take a series of very fortunate events for this team to rebound and get back into the flow of being really really good like they were prior to the two OT games.

For me, that's where things went funky: After that second OT game, I think we spent a lot of mental toughness there. After that, we haven't looked the same.
Old 12-25-2012   #40
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
They obvioulsy gave him the award before the Minnesota game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read