Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-14-2012   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agree with you about Patterson, what do you think about Dobson/Terrance Williams. One of these guys will probably be there late in the 1st. If Patterson isn't there I probably would take Long in the 1st rd. Long would solve the RT issue.

If you were Rick Gary would you trade up for a guy like Patterson? The Falcons made a bold move to trade up for Jones, now they have the best record in the league. Would the Texans make such a bold move?
Yes I would trade up and here is why: Matt Schaub.

He's not going anywhere in the near future. I'd rather have a more dynamic qb, not that schaub sucks, but I personally would like a real A young dynamic playmaker at that position.

But the next best thing to do since those guys don't grow on trees and what would make the most sense is to draft a guy that could help schaub not have to be Tom Brady or Rodgers or manning...he's closer to Matt Ryan than he is to Those guys so we should look to get him his Julio jones to make his life easier and to take the offense to another level.

I need to look at Dobson and Terrance more but I know patterson is a playmaker. He's dynamite with the ball in his hands and we could use more of that.

Again, I'm totally against drafting a guy like ruben randle...we have guys with that kind of ceiling...

If f we go wr I want to jump up and grab a real stud...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's 1.0 Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yes I would trade up and here is why: Matt Schaub.

He's not going anywhere in the near future. I'd rather have a more dynamic qb, not that schaub sucks, but I personally would like a real A young dynamic playmaker at that position.

But the next best thing to do since those guys don't grow on trees and what would make the most sense is to draft a guy that could help schaub not have to be Tom Brady or Rodgers or manning...he's closer to Matt Ryan than he is to Those guys so we should look to get him his Julio jones to make his life easier and to take the offense to another level.

I need to look at Dobson and Terrance more but I know patterson is a playmaker. He's dynamite with the ball in his hands and we could use more of that.

Again, I'm totally against drafting a guy like ruben randle...we have guys with that kind of ceiling...

If f we go wr I want to jump up and grab a real stud...
Man, we really see Schaub for what he is. (And I'm a Schaub guy)

Also agree about Patterson. Williams is a hard working fairly fast, great route runner. Dobson is raw but has unreal ability/potential. Dobson and Patterson both have AJ type athletic ability. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #23
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Patterson, If he's gone how do you feel about Terrance Williams or Aaron Dobson. They are both very talented.
2. Long, agreed, but the athletic ability/attitude are there.
3.Williams,Small school guy but he has skills.
3. Hunt, switch Hunt and Alonso if you like. I think Hunt has the ability to become a Watt light type of guy.
5. Hawthorne probably will be off alot of teams boards due to his neck injury.
6. Kasa can block. I like Williams also.
1. I like Terrance Williams and would take him in the 1st, I'm not real familiar with Dobson, only what I've read, he sounds good but a little raw. I have my doubts the Texans would even go for a guy like Patterson with only 1 yr. FBS experience. I like Quinton Patton in the 2nd round, check him out.
2. I think the Texans will stick with Newton at RT next year, but I like the Long pick though he needs experience at the position.
3. Williams, I'm always leery of small school guys. It's a huge jump from college to the pro's much less from a small school program to the pro's. I just fear that he would take several years to turn into an NFL player. My mocks focus on NT in the 1st and I like Kawann Short, Louis Nix, Sylvester Williams, and possibly Jesse Williams as well.
3. Hunt, I'd drop him to the 5th round as a project DE. I think the league is going to a more athletic ILB that can cover the field as well as play the run and I think Alonso fits this role and would be good value with our comp. 3rd.
5. From what I've read Hawthorne had a concussion, not a neck injury, and only missed one game but has played very well this year. With CB being a premium position and Hawthorne being quite good at it, I think he goes in the 2nd round or very early 3rd at the latest.
6. I'm not familiar with Kasa. I like Michael Williams size, blocking ability, and pass catching ability. He'd look nice lined up next to Brown or Newton in a goal line situation.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #24
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rd.1 Corderrelle Patterson WR Tenn. 6'3 205 lbs, 4.34, Patterson has the abilty to become a #1 WR after learning under AJ for a couple of yrs. He's a very dynamic KR/PR too. A better version of Dez Bryant.

Rd.2 Kyle Long 6'7 312 Lbs 5.04 OG/OT Ore. Long has unreal movement skills for a man of his size, a mean streak and great blood lines. He's a perfect ZBS OT. An upgraded Winston.

Rd.3 Brandon Williams 6'2 328 Lbs, 5.09 NT Missouri Southern, Williams is a squatty powerfully built NT who can really move for a big man. He takes on double teams and still makes plays. Only risk is that Williams comes from a small school. After the show he puts on at the Combine whe will probably go in the top half of the 2nd rd.

Rd.3 Margus Hunt 6'7 280 Lbs 4.74 DE/OLB SMU, Hunt is new to the game but he is one of the best athletes in this draft. After a couple of yrs of learning under Wade/Watt he has the ability to become another Watt. They have the same demeanor. In the meantime Hunt will be another valuable ST's contributor. His vertical makes him a great kick blocker and a part of the DL Swatt Patrol.

Rd.4 Kiko Alonso 6'3 242 Lbs 4.74 ILB/OLB Ore. Alonso is a playmaker (See other guys mocks) he's got great hands and awlays seems to be in the right place. He will be another valuable addition to the ST's

Rd.5 Terry Hawthorne 6'0 190 Lbs CB Illinois. Hawthorne drops a couple of rds because of a neck injury, Hawthorne is the pick simply because he's a better cover CB than Harris/Carmicheal. I think McCain is leaving after this yr and Hawthorne provides depth and ST's value.

Rd.5 Nick Kasa 6'5 260 Lbs TE Colorado. Kasa is a former DE who still has that attitude when it comes to blocking. He's suprisingly fast and has good hands. After seeing the offense against the Pats carrying 3 TE's is a neccessity and Kasa has really good athletic ability for a man his size.

Rd.6 Will Pericak 6'4 285 Lbs 4.77 DE Colorada. Pericak is a very active guy with good spped, he's very tenacious and always around the ball. He didn't show up on all of the high prospect lists due to the putrid Colorado defense, the fact that he's a diabetic and he was arrested for peeing in a trash can at a nightclub. I found him when I was checking Kasa.

Rd.7 Rex Burkhead 5'11 210 Lbs 4.42 RB Nebraska. Burkhead is a very quick, instinctive 1 cut runner. He runs very hard and has the knack of finding small holes. He has good hands and is good at picking up blitzes. The only reasons he falls this far is 1. A slight knee injury this yr. 2. The NFL's reluctance to draft/play white RB's.

Looking forward to the feedback I receive, Let the critiques begin
Patterson has a lot of talent, but I think that there are different holes we need to fill. AJ is still going strong, I dont think we need to spend a first yet. I would not dislike the pick though, since I do think he will be a good one.

Sign me up for Long, and I think this is about right in terms of value. He has first round measurables, but his play is not there yet. Taking him in the first would be a reach.

I have been pushing this Wiliams for months now. I think 3rd is a little bit early, but I now do think he will go earlier than the 5th round (where I had him ranked a month ago). Compromise and say 4th round?

Hunt is a boss. Keep him at DE though, as I think he would be more comfortable there as opposed to OLB. Dude is raw, but has a lot of potential. Plus, he will definitely be a help on STs.

I like Kiko, nice pick.

Another Big 10 DB that I dont know about, what is this? I will try to find some games of his.

I like Kasa a lot. Kind of the reverse Watt, as he was a DE turned TE. He brings something new to the Texans' TE corps- blocking ability, while at the same time not being useless in the pass game.

Pericak does not impress me though. Since I advocate keeping Hunt at DE, what about a OLB here?

Burkhead should be a good, safe pro. He wont be as good as Tate, but he makes Tate expendable (since I think Kubes cant stand Tate, and will likely encourage Smith to trade him).

I really enjoy this mock. There are a couple day 1 starters here, and a couple more who could start in 2014.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Love 1,2 and 3 b. I would be happy with hunter from Tennessee too. Hunt is a guy I would love to see Watt Tudor.
Old 12-20-2012   #26
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Love 1,2 and 3 b. I would be happy with hunter from Tennessee too. Hunt is a guy I would love to see Watt Tudor.
Thanks for the imput.

I will try to do a SB 2.0 mock after the Texans season, hopefully a SB trophy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #27
Rock N Randy
Legend

Rep Power: 5405 Rock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Comments in bold

Comments are in Bold

Quote:
Rd.1 Corderrelle Patterson WR Tenn. 6'3 205 lbs, 4.34, Patterson has the abilty to become a #1 WR after learning under AJ for a couple of yrs. He's a very dynamic KR/PR too. A better version of Dez Bryant.

not a lot of value here, fills a need and Patterson is a talent. I will take this but rather trade back and get Patterson

Rd.2 Kyle Long 6'7 312 Lbs 5.04 OG/OT Ore. Long has unreal movement skills for a man of his size, a mean streak and great blood lines. He's a perfect ZBS OT. An upgraded Winston.

i would rather not. I'm not a fan of long. For a 2nd round pick... I would rather look else where but we do need a RT so I get it

Rd.3 Brandon Williams 6'2 328 Lbs, 5.09 NT Missouri Southern, Williams is a squatty powerfully built NT who can really move for a big man. He takes on double teams and still makes plays. Only risk is that Williams comes from a small school. After the show he puts on at the Combine whe will probably go in the top half of the 2nd rd.

again no value here. Why the third round?

Rd.3 Margus Hunt 6'7 280 Lbs 4.74 DE/OLB SMU, Hunt is new to the game but he is one of the best athletes in this draft. After a couple of yrs of learning under Wade/Watt he has the ability to become another Watt. They have the same demeanor. In the meantime Hunt will be another valuable ST's contributor. His vertical makes him a great kick blocker and a part of the DL Swatt Patrol.

finally a pick I love. Tons of potential and great value. Hunt is raw but can be a fine player. Size, strength and seems like he would fit the defense. Not at OLB though. He is a DE/DT

Rd.4 Kiko Alonso 6'3 242 Lbs 4.74 ILB/OLB Ore. Alonso is a playmaker (See other guys mocks) he's got great hands and awlays seems to be in the right place. He will be another valuable addition to the ST's

ok pick, I'm iffy on Alonzo. Not sold on him yet but hey 4th round. Lets roll the dice and hope for seven

Rd.5 Terry Hawthorne 6'0 190 Lbs CB Illinois. Hawthorne drops a couple of rds because of a neck injury, Hawthorne is the pick simply because he's a better cover CB than Harris/Carmicheal. I think McCain is leaving after this yr and Hawthorne provides depth and ST's value.

i like Hawthorne and this is a great spot for him

Rd.5 Nick Kasa 6'5 260 Lbs TE Colorado. Kasa is a former DE who still has that attitude when it comes to blocking. He's suprisingly fast and has good hands. After seeing the offense against the Pats carrying 3 TE's is a neccessity and Kasa has really good athletic ability for a man his size.

who? And why? No!

Rd.6 Will Pericak 6'4 285 Lbs 4.77 DE Colorada. Pericak is a very active guy with good spped, he's very tenacious and always around the ball. He didn't show up on all of the high prospect lists due to the putrid Colorado defense, the fact that he's a diabetic and he was arrested for peeing in a trash can at a nightclub. I found him when I was checking Kasa.

who? And why? No! Are you from Colorado?

Rd.7 Rex Burkhead 5'11 210 Lbs 4.42 RB Nebraska. Burkhead is a very quick, instinctive 1 cut runner. He runs very hard and has the knack of finding small holes. He has good hands and is good at picking up blitzes. The only reasons he falls this far is 1. A slight knee injury this yr. 2. The NFL's reluctance to draft/play white RB's.

love this pick, cherry on top of the draft. I think burkhead should be fantastic in the ZBS offense

Looking forward to the feedback I receive, Let the critiques begin
Rock N Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read