Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2012   #61
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeVier Posey

[quote=IDEXAN;2084395]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
His official time recorded electronically by combine officials was 4.50 which is what needs to be the time we go by because it's compared to everyone elses "official time". Somebody like maybe his agent or brother might have clicked off a handheld 4.37, but those kinds of times can be less than objective for obvious reasons.
There's conflicting info. on even the "Official" time. Here's an NFL combine page that lists a 40 time of 4.37. Interestingly, every other stat agrees with those linked to off of his NFL player page.

http://m.nfl.com/combine/profile/2532930/devier-posey/
Old 12-20-2012   #62
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quickness and acceleration is probably more important than top end speed anyway.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #63
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
My opinion that Posey would've been available later, due to rust in the Sr Bowl practices. He was rusty and was dropping alot of passes was not meant as a knock against Posey.

He's obviously talented but you could tell that he sat of a yr. I didn't mean to use Gordon to say Posey was a bad pick. I said that drafting Posey and Gordon with a 2nd rd pick in the supp. draft would've been ideal.

But it was a moot point because the Browns used a high 2nd rd pick. Hope this clarifies my position.
Posey was allowed to practice with his team the whole year.
He played in the last 3 games.
He went to the Senior Bowl and attended the combine.

Gordon got kicked off the Baylor team; transfer rule does not allow him to practice at Utah.

Why did you think Posier is a reach because he's rusty and not Gordon, I fail to see the logic there
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #64
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am pleasantly surprised by Posey. I did not like the pick- I watched him for years at OSU (I was a student there), and thought he was a good college player, but would not amount to anything in the NFL. If he keeps playing like he did last week, I have some crow to eat.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Check out Rick Smith at HoustonTexans.com

He talks about Posey and Brandon Brooks.
About time to give these guys more playing time.
Broks "very gifted athlete at his size. able to bring him along slowly and he is improving."

Devier in practise "is explosive. Brought along slowly but will get more reps and might help down the stretch. Fast, great hands, length to separate & good strength. He and Lestar is last two on practise field."

Good info thanks 76!
Old 12-20-2012   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I am pleasantly surprised by Posey. I did not like the pick- I watched him for years at OSU (I was a student there), and thought he was a good college player, but would not amount to anything in the NFL. If he keeps playing like he did last week, I have some crow to eat.
That's weird because I watched a majority of his games and I think his skill set can translate well to the pros.

He runs good routes, getting in and out of his break with suddenness.
He knows not to allow the CB to pin him to the side line.
He knows when to adjust his routes to help out his QB when he's under pressure.

I think he will continue to do well if he keeps putting in hard works.
Old 12-20-2012   #67
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Broks "very gifted athlete at his size. able to bring him along slowly and he is improving."

Devier in practise "is explosive. Brought along slowly but will get more reps and might help down the stretch. Fast, great hands, length to separate & good strength. He and Lestar is last two on practise field."

Good info thanks 76!
You're welcome.

Yeah, I thought it was good to hear those comments.

Sure sounds like they have made a lot of progress.
Old 12-20-2012   #68
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I always enjoy when draft forum reaches mainstream so fans can see why some of us enjoy this aspect of Texans so much. Really spot on from combine, even to 3rd rd. grade based off available information. With more production & without NCAA sanctions it's not that far of reach to say DeVier Posey would have received a second round grade, at least end of day probably how Texan War Room valued this prospect

Here is just one sample from yesteryear, hope some of you enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I would prefer to keep focused on the business of working the draft board which for the second year in a row Rick Smith has done an excellent job of doing, IMO. Some of us draft pundits or whatever some wish to label those of us who are passionate about the draft, your right don't have the resources. Heck I don't even cover the Big 10 with exception of a couple teams. One of my draft buddies rmartin65 posted this thread which focused on Texan draft pick frequency per College: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85653
2012 Draft
Round 1- Big 10
Round 3- Big 10
Round 3- MAC
Round 4- SEC
Round 4- Big 10
Round 4- Big 10
Round 5- Big 12
Round 6- Big 10

So it's not really about missing on talent its more a question of coverage, which is incomplete to say the least. I have no problem with that, got to work, missed the first two nights of draft in fact because duty called, its all good. All I can cover are those I watch & break down film personally. Love what I see from Whitney, clear BPA, small sample size, very fluid & explosive. I'm also willing to give Posey benifit of doubt despite his actions off field & limited production on the field. But he does have plus speed, ability to separate (better than Randle or Sanu) & good hands. Reminds me of a bigger Mario Manningham.

Back to the ability to trust your board & make positive moves under the gun. This draft should establish Rick Smith track record as one of the better GM's in the NFL. Having Wade working with Gary is a big plus. Scouts are doing a very good job in film rooms, College games, combine, pro-days & back ground checks. Anyone else see something different? positive/negative let it out

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #69
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's weird because I watched a majority of his games and I think his skill set can translate well to the pros.

He runs good routes, getting in and out of his break with suddenness.
He knows not to allow the CB to pin him to the side line.
He knows when to adjust his routes to help out his QB when he's under pressure.

I think he will continue to do well if he keeps putting in hard works.
I just saw a bunch of "average" qualities when I watched him. Good hands, not great. Good routes, not great. Good speed, not great. But the biggest thing, is that I saw him alligator arm it on routes across the middle. I hate when receivers seem scared going across the middle.

Anyway, if I was wrong, then I was wrong. Does not bother me in the least, as I root for every Texan to succeed.
Old 12-20-2012   #70
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Posey was allowed to practice with his team the whole year.
He played in the last 3 games.
He went to the Senior Bowl and attended the combine.

Gordon got kicked off the Baylor team; transfer rule does not allow him to practice at Utah.

Why did you think Posier is a reach because he's rusty and not Gordon, I fail to see the logic there
I thought Posey was a reach because I thought he was a good at everything/great at nothing WR. A Good at everything WR2 is an upgrade to the Texans WR corps. IMHO

Gordon had the ability to be a star WR1 type WR. IMHO I guess what I'm saying is I think Gordon has the ability to be better than Posey.

Gordon has developed into the Browns WR1. So I think my evaluation stands on it's own. I hope Posey can reach WR1 level someday. This was not meant to be a slight to Poseys abilities. You took one sentence in a paragraph out of context and made it out to be a slight of Poseys ability, which it wasn't meant to be.

Which WR's in this yrs draft do you think have potential to be WR's 1 type guys and where would you rank Gordon if he was in this draft class?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #71
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104085 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
OK, let's figure out how to make a physics word problem out of this.

Lestar Jean runs a 4.61 second 40-yd dash. Matt Schaub has a noodle arm and can't throw the ball 60 yards. How many seconds into the play will Schaub have to release the ball in order for Andre Johnson to have to stop and wait for the ball in order for AJ to match Jean's 4.61 second 40 yard time?

Well .... you get the point anyway. Having fast receivers would be just as great as having a QB that could throw him open.
I hated high school AP physics for that very reason^ friggin word problems.
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #72
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 24667 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I just saw a bunch of "average" qualities when I watched him. Good hands, not great. Good routes, not great. Good speed, not great. But the biggest thing, is that I saw him alligator arm it on routes across the middle. I hate when receivers seem scared going across the middle.

Anyway, if I was wrong, then I was wrong. Does not bother me in the least, as I root for every Texan to succeed.
Naw I think that was in his scouting report regarding the 'alligator arms'. Luckily, we just saw him make a catch right in front of a safety last game and he took it like a champ. Guess it helps that you're not allowed to even breath on receivers these days so there is less fear going over the middle so the receivers can be nicely cuddled...

....is it obvious I was a defensive back? LOL
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #73
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I always enjoy when draft forum reaches mainstream so fans can see why some of us enjoy this aspect of Texans so much. Really spot on from combine, even to 3rd rd. grade based off available information. With more production & without NCAA sanctions it's not that far of reach to say DeVier Posey would have received a second round grade, at least end of day probably how Texan War Room valued this prospect

Here is just one sample from yesteryear, hope some of you enjoy
Hear, hear!!
Old 12-20-2012   #74
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Naw I think that was in his scouting report regarding the 'alligator arms'. Luckily, we just saw him make a catch right in front of a safety last game and he took it like a champ. Guess it helps that you're not allowed to even breath on receivers these days so there is less fear going over the middle so the receivers can be nicely cuddled...

I am a "defense" guy but too much bumping going on. If you bumped a concert pianist off his chair the result would not be good nor fair. If you were having brain surgery, would it be ok for the nurse to bump the doctor 'cause that is just part of operating room game? Same with basketball, the ball is fair but not the body of the offensive player. Mauling should be left to the football linemen and the DBs down field. IMO even our guy Joseph gets away with a lot.
Old 12-20-2012   #75
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a lot of Posey's "alligator arm" issue in college was because he didn't trust his QB not to get him killed.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #76
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

You read those reports and one would say that while another would say the exact opposite.
Old 12-20-2012   #77
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think a lot of Posey's "alligator arm" issue in college was because he didn't trust his QB not to get him killed.
I honestly didn't see that problem.

The funny thing is I once read a website that brought up a play to talk about this "so-called" issue. The ball was closer to the safety than to Posier. Neither can't get to the ball, but they said he short-armed the ball because he saw the safety coming. The truth is he knew neither was going to get to the ball. Don't get killed over nothing.
Old 12-20-2012   #78
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
I hated high school AP physics for that very reason^ friggin word problems.
At what angle would Matt Schaub need to throw the ball if there were a wind in his face at 1 m/s? Calculate theta. How high would Schaub have to throw the ball in order for AJ to be able to jump over the slow-ass Colt that AJ had already beaten but had to come back to?

Old 12-20-2012   #79
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
I honestly didn't see that problem.

The funny thing is I once read a website that brought up a play to talk about this "so-called" issue. The ball was closer to the safety than to Posier. Neither can't get to the ball, but they said he short-armed the ball because he saw the safety coming. The truth is he knew neither was going to get to the ball. Don't get killed over nothing.
A play. I expect better of you 76, you are the one who breaks down countless plays to prove a point!

I saw him alligator arming it. Granted, student seats at OSU are not that great, but I feel confident in what I saw.

It is a correctable issue though, and I have no doubt that, like TPN said, it was likely influenced by a lack of trust in his QB. We saw him make a nice grab the other day, hopefully we see more of that.
Old 12-20-2012   #80
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
At what angle would Matt Schaub need to throw the ball if there were a wind in his face at 1 m/s? Calculate theta. How high would Schaub have to throw the ball in order for AJ to be able to jump over the slow-ass Colt that AJ had already beaten but had to come back to?

Shut up dudes with your "physics". Algebra kicked by butt. Numbers are bad enough then they want to throw the alphabet at me? Letters are for sentences not math.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read