Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 12-20-2012   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So, Reliant is getting a badass new display screen

I heard on the radio this morning that this will be paid for by tax payers...Is that accurate?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #22
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

If one of you are radio station callers, PLEASE ask about closed captioning. It has to be asked. I am going attempt to write a letter sometime this weekend but need to know their intent regarding captioning options.
Old 12-20-2012   #23
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77346 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
If one of you are radio station callers, PLEASE ask about closed captioning. It has to be asked. I am going attempt to write a letter sometime this weekend but need to know their intent regarding captioning options.
I'm curious - what exactly is close captioned on the existing video displays? (And I only ask that because I've never considered these huge displays in noisy venues such as reliant to really have any audio function to begin with).
Old 12-20-2012   #24
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I'm curious - what exactly is close captioned on the existing video displays? (And I only ask that because I've never considered these huge displays in noisy venues such as reliant to really have any real audio function to begin with).
I'm ASSUMING everything that's said over the PA system (NOT what's being broadcast on regular TV). The current captioning is poorly located. It is to the right and upper of the screens on both ends of the stadium. PAST the advertisements which is why it's poorly located. Needs to be closer to the screen. Like I said, I still appreciated it tremendously.
Old 12-20-2012   #25
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that this will be paid for by tax payers...Is that accurate?

yes the Texans and the Rodeo will loan some of the money to get the project going and then will be paid back by the sports authority through the taxes collected for the hotel/rental car tax
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #26
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 304149 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At least we've got our priorities in the right place...
Old 12-20-2012   #27
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I'm ASSUMING everything that's said over the PA system (NOT what's being broadcast on regular TV). The current captioning is poorly located. It is to the right and upper of the screens on both ends of the stadium. PAST the advertisements which is why it's poorly located. Needs to be closer to the screen. Like I said, I still appreciated it tremendously.
I'm going to guess that closed captioning will still be displayed on this new video board. I agree with the earlier comments saying that the replay video will take up a 16x9 area in the center of the board, and advertising, stats, closed captioning, etc... will be displayed on the sides of the replay video area. just a guess, though.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #28
Goodwrench3
VAI TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1758 Goodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respectedGoodwrench3 is a quality contributor and well respected

compared to other displays!

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...316097/photo/1

BADASS!
Goodwrench3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #29
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimayer1985 View Post
I bet it's goin to have all the advertisement on the sides like the ones that surround our current screens
That would ruin the game day experience!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #30
Mimayer1985
Rookie

Section: Sec. 132 row j
Rep Power: 0 Mimayer1985 was voted MVPMimayer1985 was voted MVPMimayer1985 was voted MVP

So yeah that is an extraordinary long video board. Is gotta have digital ads and stuff cause if it were full video picture Aj will look like a 400lbs nose tackle. There's goin to be a bunch of different images on the screen at once. I have a feeling that the actual game replays and stuff aren't goin to be much bigger than we already have. What's the size of them now
Mimayer1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #31
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's great and hope it is similar to Cowboys than Toyota. IMO, Toyota's new screen is too busy.

Glad some of the fans have soften a bit about the big screens because I remember the comments about ours up to hoping someone would kick a ball and break it.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #32
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sort of LINK

Quote:
The new boards are expected to cost about $16 million. Commissioners are still negotiating the details but tell us they will be paid for with county restoration funds. The Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo will loan the county money up-front.

"The money that goes into this R&R fund comes from hotel/motel tax, rental car tax, from the ticket tax," Shafer said.

"So is there any chance that ticket prices could go up to help pay for this?" we asked Shafer.

"No, not at all," he said.
Seems like it is being paid for as it should. I read the old boards are at the end of their life cycle anyway, so its not like spending for spending's sake.

Ntiro - Sounds to me like you should not only contact the Texans but also the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation about Closed Captioning. I would think all events....especially the rodeo would benefit from an upgraded CC system.....My hearing is fine and I can't make out the PA 1/2 the time.
Old 12-20-2012   #33
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Sort of LINK

Seems like it is being paid for as it should. I read the old boards are at the end of their life cycle anyway, so its not like spending for spending's sake.

Ntiro - Sounds to me like you should not only contact the Texans but also the Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation about Closed Captioning. I would think all events....especially the rodeo would benefit from an upgraded CC system.....My hearing is fine and I can't make out the PA 1/2 the time.
Yeah, the south EZ's board's little pixels go out pretty regularly. I thought they should have been replaced last year or the year before.
Old 12-20-2012   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I just rewatched the Titans game today.

Their Big Screen is huge.
Old 12-20-2012   #35
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I love my city:

First domed stadium-------> Eighth Wonder of the World

Invention of astroturf

Invention of the "flak-jacket"

First retactable roof....... In the NFL, that is. (Reliant)

Largest screen in the NFL (Reliant), circa 2002

Closest seats to the playing field (Reliant), circa 2002

First (actually second, only to the Astrodome) with a natural surface in a dome stadium), circa 1965, circa 2002

Toyota Center with the largest screen in the NBA.

And finally now, we'll have the biggest screens (again, for the second time)... Suck it Jerrah!!!
Old 12-20-2012   #36
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

i like how all 3 of our major stadiums/arenas have giant boards..

Last edited by Premier; 12-21-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Premier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #37
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, time to bring back up something that I thought of a few years ago. That was to recreate or animate some of the old Astrodome scoreboard features like the bull and shooting cowboy and have it play on the new scoreboard every once in awhile as a tribute to Houston sports history. This could easily be animated and played on the new scoreboard.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #38
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

That red and white checkered table cloth is looking real glitzy these days.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #39
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Heck of an idea there HH... MSR
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #40
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I love my city:

First domed stadium-------> Eighth Wonder of the World

Invention of astroturf

Invention of the "flak-jacket"

First retactable roof....... In the NFL, that is. (Reliant)

Largest screen in the NFL (Reliant), circa 2002

Closest seats to the playing field (Reliant), circa 2002

First (actually second, only to the Astrodome) with a natural surface in a dome stadium), circa 1965, circa 2002

Toyota Center with the largest screen in the NBA.

And finally now, we'll have the biggest screens (again, for the second time)... Suck it Jerrah!!!
I'm shocked you didn't mention the birthplace of the breast implant!
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read