Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-19-2012   #41
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Olb is still high on my draft list. Ilb as well.

I wouldn't make any major changes to the mock I did at this point. I wouldn't mind taking a big time wr prospect, but I'm actually ok with what we have. Keshawn Martin is kind of a question mark to me though. I don't know if it's a fluke or what, but he seems to not be able to get open and he drops too many balls.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opinions on Texans draft changing?

I need a refresher on the Free Agency Period, any one?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #43
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33516 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I need a refresher on the Free Agency Period, any one?
It starts in mid-March. I haven't seen a 2013 calender yet though. If I had to guess I'd say the 12th.

The draft is late April so I'd guess the 25th - 27th.
Old 12-19-2012   #44
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, i now think we need to go & get a tradtional NT in the 1st/2nd. I was on the bandwagon for a WR b/c i deferred to Wade's expertise saying that he could use whatever we had & turn the defense around - and he did that.

But it seems over the last few years all the blitzing we've done is b/c we're compensating for our inability to defend the run with just our front 7. The safeties have to be aggressive coming down hill to help out. & pretty much every time we've gotten beat this year and last, we've been hit on long passes for scores b/c our safeties have been to eager to come down & have been out of position.

SF was able to beat the Pats b/c they could defend the pats run game with thier front 7 and let their db's sit back and cover everything up. I don't know the percentage of teams that run the 3-4 vs. 4-3 but the way the league is going with all of these spread offenses & running qb's i think the 3-4 is about to make another return.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #45
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54157 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

BPA at a position of need unless there is a player so good you can't pass him up.

I'm looking at ILB'S, DT'S and CB'S first with the above in mind.

I love Kawann Short and Sheldon Richardson. They are my early fav's for our first right now. Haven't seen any ILB's that I'm in love with in the first. There are A few I like in the second and third round. Never really pay much attention to secondary because its just to difficult to really scout them on tv.
Old 12-20-2012   #46
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18096 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

I think 1st pick again will be a pass rusher. Could be a OLB,NT,DE or even a ILB with Pass rush skills all I know is Watt needs help with Pass rush.
then in no particular order:
OG our guards have been a disappointment
ILB depth and youth beside Cushing
DE eventual Smith replacement
S we may lose Quin
NT as we all know this is a weakness and could help Watt if a big NT takes up double teams
TE Daniels getting older - Casey a FA -
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Darrius Slay has been moving up boards and has just accepted invitation to the combine. I now have him taken at one of our 5ths. CB/S
Old 01-03-2013   #48
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
BPA at a position of need unless there is a player so good you can't pass him up.

I'm looking at ILB'S, DT'S and CB'S first with the above in mind.

I love Kawann Short and Sheldon Richardson. They are my early fav's for our first right now. Haven't seen any ILB's that I'm in love with in the first. There are A few I like in the second and third round. Never really pay much attention to secondary because its just to difficult to really scout them on tv.
I'm all for BPA, It's quite obvious the offense stinks and keeping the offense on the field more would help the defense as much as anybody the Texans could pick at 27-32.

Good news is there will be a WR like Williams/Woods/Patterson available. Or an OL Like Oboushi/Cooper/Jones/Fluker or a QB like Bray/Barkley/Landry Jones should be there at 27-32. There appears to be more value on the offensive side of the ball late in the 1st rd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #49
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

The last six weeks of this season has definately changed my thoughts on the draft .... Six weeks ago , I was on board with a top draft pick at NT/DT , now that focus has shifted to fixing a broken OL where despite Wade Smith making a probowl appearance , I think at least three positions are lacking in LG , RG and RT.

Add to the above the fact that five of the Texans top eight defensive backs will be FA's .... There are also needs at OLB & ILB due to injury and looming free agency.

These positions ....would be my focus in both FA and draft moves , I'd also like to address QB but dont see how with Schaubs contract and not having a premium pick to work with.

NT / DT has almost fallen off the radar for me , below is how I'd rank the needs going into the FA period and the draft:

OG - At least one as neither position has been particularly strong the last third of the season.

RT - Newton has been solid in pass protection but pathetic in run and screen plays. I like him as a swing tackle , not a starter.

DB - Both S and CB with so many possible free agents , you can never have engough good DB's.

ILB - James was a stop gap for a year , the depth has been hurt with injuries , both Dobbins and James are FA's. Sharpton finishing a third consecutive season on IR.

OLB - Barwin's pending FA and the lack of production from the position overall. JJ Watt needs some help up front.

QB - This would be my primary need but with Schaubs contract , a team built to win now and no premium pick or means to move up to one , its just not logical. Need to look real hard at the scrap heap of FA to find a viable plan B should Schaub continue to falter.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The last six weeks of this season has definately changed my thoughts on the draft .... Six weeks ago , I was on board with a top draft pick at NT/DT , now that focus has shifted to fixing a broken OL where despite Wade Smith making a probowl appearance , I think at least three positions are lacking in LG , RG and RT.

Add to the above the fact that five of the Texans top eight defensive backs will be FA's .... There are also needs at OLB & ILB due to injury and looming free agency.

These positions ....would be my focus in both FA and draft moves , I'd also like to address QB but dont see how with Schaubs contract and not having a premium pick to work with.

NT / DT has almost fallen off the radar for me , below is how I'd rank the needs going into the FA period and the draft:

OG - At least one as neither position has been particularly strong the last third of the season.

RT - Newton has been solid in pass protection but pathetic in run and screen plays. I like him as a swing tackle , not a starter.

DB - Both S and CB with so many possible free agents , you can never have engough good DB's.

ILB - James was a stop gap for a year , the depth has been hurt with injuries , both Dobbins and James are FA's. Sharpton finishing a third consecutive season on IR.

OLB - Barwin's pending FA and the lack of production from the position overall. JJ Watt needs some help up front.

QB - This would be my primary need but with Schaubs contract , a team built to win now and no premium pick or means to move up to one , its just not logical. Need to look real hard at the scrap heap of FA to find a viable plan B should Schaub continue to falter.
What do you think about using this yrs draft to fix the offense since the draft is deep on the offensive side of the ball. (Excluding QB) Then draft heavy on defense in 2014 since rookies can make an impact on defense more often than on offense. That would make the team more formidable.

Also how would you feel about Matt Flynn as a stop gap if Schaub cant get the job done? He ran the WC offense for the Packers. As an aside he's for Tyler. (Looking forward to seeing the Tyler Rose on Saturday)

What do you thnk about moving Barwin to ILB next yr? The thought of Cushing and Barwin appeals to me and the run defense would look much better.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #51
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What do you think about using this yrs draft to fix the offense since the draft is deep on the offensive side of the ball. (Excluding QB) Then draft heavy on defense in 2014 since rookies can make an impact on defense more often than on offense. That would make the team more formidable.
For the most part , this team is built to win now. I'd like to solve as many problems as possible this offseason .... and make a real run in next years playoffs (hell this one too).

I'd like at least one guard and a RT in this offseason .... that I think fixes the offense other than the QB spot. The recievers have been open .... I think at least one of Posey or Martin makes a big step next season. Posey has been pretty solid the last few weeks and made the most of his opportunities.

Quote:
Also how would you feel about Matt Flynn as a stop gap if Schaub cant get the job done? He ran the WC offense for the Packers. As an aside he's for Tyler. (Looking forward to seeing the Tyler Rose on Saturday)
Not a fan of Flynn .... I'd rathet try to get Alex Smith on the cheap. He's very much like Schaub other than the fact he can move around a bit. He ran a very similar offense in SF too .... I know most dont like him , but you cant argue with his results the past two seasons 20-5 as a starter. Tho Im sure other teams lacking at QB will be after him ..... Arizona ?

Quote:
What do you thnk about moving Barwin to ILB next yr? The thought of Cushing and Barwin appeals to me and the run defense would look much better.
I dont know if Barwin stays or goes .... but if he stays , its as an OLB. If one of the OLB's was to move inside , I'd think it would be Reed as he's a more natural fit inside than Barwin who's more of a speed guy IMO.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My two cents: I think Newton will be RT starter as RG develops it will help him as Wade Smith helped Brown. Let's not forget that bit of history. We run mostly to the left as we should with two pro bowlers. I think Brooks locks in RG and Jones begins to learn at backup to Myers. Wade God love him will play out LG and we draft one 2013 to replace him in '14. I have Arkansas Alvin Bailey in third. Recently I have tried to tweek my newest mock but really like it. May post when season ends, hopefully not tomorrow.

I really want to see how Ruud and Routt do. Should see a lot of the first and some of the latter.
Old 01-04-2013   #53
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

right there with you, though i think our rookie guards will be significantly better next season with the amount of time they're getting now. brooks seeing the field at all this year is HUGE to me, it means kubiak has confidence that brooks is putting in the work and digesting the playbook. if he can get it going, brooks has an absolute excess of potential. wade will probably return next season and i like jones to back up the interior (or hopefully replace wade), though the next backup needs to be found. newton is the weak link and it has nothing to do with anyone around him, as you said a pretty solid swing tackle, but not a starter.
Old 01-05-2013   #54
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

I would go BPA at a need position unless someone fell that was too good pass on (as previously stated). I think we desperately need to upgrade our OL and pass rush/LBs. I think CB and S depth is important as well.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #55
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

nice extension for Schaub but writing is on the wall, if there is any chance to grab a franchise QB, if Kubiak wants to keep his job along with Rick Smith? They should take him now. this is the most drastic change IMO

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #56
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19403 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

what are the peoples thoughts on fluker playing guard?
awesome at run blocking terrible at pass protection.
i was thinking play him at RG next to newton so we can run the ball better on that side and move brooks to LG who i think has been doing quite well for a rookie. Jones isnt on the same level of brooks and needs to move to back up centre and be the understudy to myers
aussie_texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #57
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19403 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

and what about Larry Warford guard from kentucky, anyone got info on him??
aussie_texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
what are the peoples thoughts on fluker playing guard?
awesome at run blocking terrible at pass protection.
i was thinking play him at RG next to newton so we can run the ball better on that side and move brooks to LG who i think has been doing quite well for a rookie. Jones isnt on the same level of brooks and needs to move to back up centre and be the understudy to myers
Why not take a true OG that plays both sides each game & is proficient at both run and pass blocking? Alvin Bailey who should be available to us in third. Fluker should go before our second.
I see him more in a power blocking O but want to point our my mock partner Beerlover likes him. BL is damn good on evaluating linemen.
Old 01-05-2013   #59
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to find a QB with our first pick, but that would mainly be if we could trade up picks to get one. Not sure if this is a great QB draft. I'm not sure about drafting some 2nd or 3rd rounder, but I do think that QB is becoming a big need now.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013   #60
badboy
Site Contributor

I think Yates is our best chance of replacing Schaub in 2014. None of the draft picks do much for me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read