Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2012   #41
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeVier Posey

[quote=deucetx;2082894]Well said. Jean has gotten open some times but that is mainly against zone coverage. He has not been able to consistently beat someone man to man. After all folks look at his size which teams generally drool over but there's a reason the guy wasn't drafted. He's not very fast. A 4.61 forty can tell you that but Schaub made pretty evident when he said Jean has 'Deceptive speed'. That's like when your buddy sets you up on a blind date and you ask if they look good and they respond with 'They have a wonderful personality!' He's pretty good against zone coverage but is quite similar to Walter when it comes to separation.

Posey simply has more tools so we need to slow down a bit with Jean being an eventual Dre replacement. I would someone a bit more well rounded as a #1. Posey would have more chance at that then Jean since he has size and speed.

Put it like this. At no point in this season has anyone really 'split' time with Walter at #2. Jean got some snaps but Walter still would have no less than double of his snaps. This past game? Walter 38 snaps....Posey 36.[/QUOTE]

Geez, I didn't realize ti was that many. Glad to finally see him on the field.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #42
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed he could've probably been taken later. Posey is a great athlete. His hands are what worried me. But that could've just been rust after missing last yr. Gary has done a great job of bringing Posey along slowly, letting him shake the rust off.

BTW, Yesterday was what an offense looks like with a legitimate WR2. Gary needs to break a tendency that I saw yesterday, which was in the 4th qtr everytime Walter was in the game the Texans ran the ball.

I hope the Texans still use a high pick rd 1-2 on a WR like Patterson or Dobson. Big time athletes, Schaub would look alot better with a WR crew of AJ,Posey/Patterson and Martin. Those are weapons at WR that the Texans haven't had since their inception.
Hmm, you didn't have any problem with Josh Gordon.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #43
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Check out Rick Smith at HoustonTexans.com

He talks about Posey and Brandon Brooks.
About time to give these guys more playing time.
Old 12-19-2012   #44
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
This. This was my biggest problem with the pick, I just thought it was really high for a kid who had missed a year more or less and was probably going to a project for this year.
FWIW - I had Posey mocked to the Texans in round three.

I had the opportunity to attend a workout with Posey and several other WR prospects last season and Posey stood out among them. Easily the best hands of any of the prospects in attendance which included Jeffery , Floyd , Sanu and Wright. He also stood out in the agility drills.

He's also got really deceptive speed .... think about the guy he almost chased down from behind on the ST play a few games back. ( I forget what game that was).

Considering that he out performed all of those guys taken ahead of him at that workout , I think they got value for the pick.

He hasnt gotten a lot of opportunity to get on the field but when he has he's made the most of them - Remember the first catch he made in preseason bouncing off of multiple defenders and taking it the distance ?

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #45
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
FWIW - I had Posey mocked to the Texans in round three.

I had the opportunity to attend a workout with Posey and several other WR prospects last season and Posey stood out among them. Easily the best hands of any of the prospects in attendance which included Jeffery , Floyd , Sanu and Wright. He also stood out in the agility drills.

He's also got really deceptive speed .... think about the guy he almost chased down from behind on the ST play a few games back. ( I forget what game that was).

Considering that he out performed all of those guys taken ahead of him at that workout , I think they got value for the pick.

He hasnt gotten a lot of opportunity to get on the field but when he has he's made the most of them - Remember the first catch he made in preseason bouncing off of multiple defenders and taking it the distance ?
I think the Texans got value for the pick, too.

I studied a majority of his games the last 3 years in college.
Good route runner, good hands, play the ball out in front, going into traffic, etc.

I thought he was a solid mid second round guy.
Old 12-19-2012   #46
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

If the guy turns out to be a stud for us, noone should be upset where we got him. In addition to this, we don't know where other teams had him on thier boards..maybe the texans had info that some other team had their eye on him & he wasn't going to last to the 3rd..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #47
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 52734 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
If the guy turns out to be a stud for us, noone should be upset where we got him. In addition to this, we don't know where other teams had him on thier boards..maybe the texans had info that some other team had their eye on him & he wasn't going to last to the 3rd..
This is true. Maybe some fans tend to think that draft boards are influenced by ESPN analysts or other media. Who knows how it works for every club, but you can't think that yours is the only one that knows a prospect's secret value.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #48
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been particularly impressed with Posey's body control and his hands. It's very encouraging, because those two attributes are hard to coach, if not impossible.

It says a lot to me that Kubiak is starting to trust him, and put him on the field more, because I've always felt that Kubiak's #1 requirement in a receiver is that the receiver make the correct reads, and run the correct routes off those reads.

I'll always believe that is the reason Walter has kept his starting position for as long as he has. He knows where he's supposed to be, and he gets himself in the correct position.

If Posey has earned Kubiak's trust, then he should be a significant upgrade from Walter moving forward.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post

I'll always believe that is the reason Walter has kept his starting position for as long as he has. He knows where he's supposed to be, and he gets himself in the correct position.

If Posey has earned Kubiak's trust, then he should be a significant upgrade from Walter moving forward.
I think the thing holding all these guys back & what's keeping Walter on the field, is that Kubiak expects these guys to act like professionals. Get to meetings on time, get to the weight room on time & work when you get there, don't go through the motions, participate in the WR meetings, demonstrate that you get it.

I'm pretty much the same way with the guys I work with. The new ones usually have experience from somewhere else & they always want to impress me with what they know, what they can do. I'm a maintenance electrician by the way. & while I do value their ability to diagnose & repair a piece of equipment, which they think makes them hot-shots, I also need to know they are going to do the other aspect of their job without me having to watch over them like a hawk. Battery maintenance, motor inspections, filter changes, lubrications, periodic inspection & overhauls of starters & breakers. That's what makes you a pro imo... make sure the **** don't break in the first place.

I'm sure Kubiak has things similar to that.
Old 12-19-2012   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Hmm, you didn't have any problem with Josh Gordon.
None at all for a 2nd/3rd rd pick, once I found out RG3 wanted him on the Redskins. The Browns used a high 2nd supp pick on him, which I thought was a reach at the time. After seeing Gordon play this yr the Browns appear to have gotten good value. Gordon is as good as Williams/Woods Dobson/Hunter etc.... IMHO

A WR corps of AJ/Gordon/Posey/Walter and Martin looks pretty good to me. Can you promise me in the 2nd rd this yr the Texans will get a player that is as good as Gordon was this yr? I would take that player in a heartbeat. (Starter/Contributor WR1 as a rookie by the end of the yr.) Of course I dont have problems with guys who smoke weed. Some people, (BoB/Rick/Gary) do have a problem with pot smokers.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=drs23;2083256]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Well said. Jean has gotten open some times but that is mainly against zone coverage. He has not been able to consistently beat someone man to man. After all folks look at his size which teams generally drool over but there's a reason the guy wasn't drafted. He's not very fast. A 4.61 forty can tell you that but Schaub made pretty evident when he said Jean has 'Deceptive speed'. That's like when your buddy sets you up on a blind date and you ask if they look good and they respond with 'They have a wonderful personality!' He's pretty good against zone coverage but is quite similar to Walter when it comes to separation.

Posey simply has more tools so we need to slow down a bit with Jean being an eventual Dre replacement. I would someone a bit more well rounded as a #1. Posey would have more chance at that then Jean since he has size and speed.

Put it like this. At no point in this season has anyone really 'split' time with Walter at #2. Jean got some snaps but Walter still would have no less than double of his snaps. This past game? Walter 38 snaps....Posey 36.[/QUOTE]

Geez, I didn't realize ti was that many. Glad to finally see him on the field.
In this video he pronounces his name and states his improvement in 40 from 4.8s to 4.5s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81cKL...e_gdata_player

Combine 4.59 unofficial. I had much rather see him increase his ability to pull ball down against close coverage and take it away from DBs like we saw AJ do recently.
Old 12-19-2012   #52
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
None at all for a 2nd/3rd rd pick, once I found out RG3 wanted him on the Redskins. The Browns used a high 2nd supp pick on him, which I thought was a reach at the time. After seeing Gordon play this yr the Browns appear to have gotten good value. Gordon is as good as Williams/Woods Dobson/Hunter etc.... IMHO

A WR corps of AJ/Gordon/Posey/Walter and Martin looks pretty good to me. Can you promise me in the 2nd rd this yr the Texans will get a player that is as good as Gordon was this yr? I would take that player in a heartbeat. (Starter/Contributor WR1 as a rookie by the end of the yr.) Of course I dont have problems with guys who smoke weed. Some people, (BoB/Rick/Gary) do have a problem with pot smokers.
You may want to go back and reread your own post.

I know you like Gordon.

How can you miss what was going on with him and use it as a knock against Posey is the question.
Old 12-19-2012   #53
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83899 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's hoping Posey has at least five catches and 50+ yards next game. I'd love to see him break out for us in the playoffs. The one catch in double coverage against the Colts was a thing of beauty.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #54
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You may want to go back and reread your own post.

I know you like Gordon.

How can you miss what was going on with him and use it as a knock against Posey is the question.
My opinion that Posey would've been available later, due to rust in the Sr Bowl practices. He was rusty and was dropping alot of passes was not meant as a knock against Posey.

He's obviously talented but you could tell that he sat of a yr. I didn't mean to use Gordon to say Posey was a bad pick. I said that drafting Posey and Gordon with a 2nd rd pick in the supp. draft would've been ideal.

But it was a moot point because the Browns used a high 2nd rd pick. Hope this clarifies my position.
Old 12-19-2012   #55
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

[quote=badboy;2084073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
In this video he pronounces his name and states his improvement in 40 from 4.8s to 4.5s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81cKL...e_gdata_player

Combine 4.59 unofficial. I had much rather see him increase his ability to pull ball down against close coverage and take it away from DBs like we saw AJ do recently.
Posey seems faster than that in pads.
Old 12-19-2012   #56
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Well said. Jean has gotten open some times but that is mainly against zone coverage. He has not been able to consistently beat someone man to man. After all folks look at his size which teams generally drool over but there's a reason the guy wasn't drafted. He's not very fast. A 4.61 forty can tell you that but Schaub made pretty evident when he said Jean has 'Deceptive speed'.
OK, let's figure out how to make a physics word problem out of this.

Lestar Jean runs a 4.61 second 40-yd dash. Matt Schaub has a noodle arm and can't throw the ball 60 yards. How many seconds into the play will Schaub have to release the ball in order for Andre Johnson to have to stop and wait for the ball in order for AJ to match Jean's 4.61 second 40 yard time?

Well .... you get the point anyway. Having fast receivers would be just as great as having a QB that could throw him open.
Old 12-20-2012   #57
TejasTom
Get #80 a ring!

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 32888 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

Posey is faster than that. His combine time was 4.37.

The numbers quoted were for Jean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Lestar Jean runs a 4.61 second 40-yd dash. Matt Schaub has a noodle arm and can't throw the ball 60 yards. How many seconds into the play will Schaub have to release the ball in order for Andre Johnson to have to stop and wait for the ball in order for AJ to match Jean's 4.61 second 40 yard time?

Well .... you get the point anyway. Having fast receivers would be just as great as having a QB that could throw him open.
I don't know about Jean, but if Schaub takes a 5 step drop Dre has already out ran his arm.

Last edited by TejasTom; 12-20-2012 at 12:31 PM.
TejasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #58
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33092 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=TejasTom;2084383]
Quote:

Posey is faster than that. His combine time was 4.37.
His official time recorded electronically by combine officials was 4.50 which is what needs to be the time we go by because it's compared to everyone elses "official time". Somebody like maybe his agent or brother might have clicked off a handheld 4.37, but those kinds of times can be less than objective for obvious reasons.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #59
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

People overplay the schaub arm strength thing imo. His arm surely isn't the strongest but he can get it there; he can throw guys open.

Just off the top of my head, the denver game this year..the TD to AJ was about 55-60 yds in the air & the TD to walter was somewhere around 55. Neither guy had to really slow down to get it..it was pretty much where it needed to be. He also had a long TD pass to Jacoby last year where Jacoby had to leg it out to get it over Ed Reed of all people. All 3 of those throws He had guys bearing down on him to where he really couldn't follow thru...1 of them he was throwing off his back foot. The chad pennington's of the NFL can't make those throws under those circumstances...

His real problem is his deep ball acurracy b/c he tends to put a little too much air under the ball. Guys usually have issues with this when they're taking something off the ball to make sure their guy has a chance to get it. Just my opinion of course.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #60
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=steelbtexan;2084327]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

He is. Jean is a high 4.5 and Pose a 4.4 not a lot if we realize those are tenths of a second difference.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read