Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-17-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Your opinions on Texans draft changing?

We have seen several mocks by our regulars in this forum and some new folks and welcome by the way. Have your thoughts changed on what positions we need to draft? What about players in draft? Who has dropped on your boards and who had risen?

Nose still remains my priority and I do not see that changing. Good news is a good one should be there in first IF Wade wants.

Ben Jones settling in at RG & surplanting Caldwell has been a pleasant surprise & has allowed Brooks a chance to remain in shadows while he does whatever he needs to do. Where would team be if Jones had not stepped up? Newton won me over and from what I see in posts others are joining me. As the right side has solidified with these two on field more together, a right side O lineman has dropped from first round to 4th on my board. I wished Wade Smith was better but I think he is still injured from last season. I next want to see Brooks step up & show he will be the answer by 2014.

WR is something I keep moving down then yanking back up. I desperately want a player to line up opposite AJ and be that WR2 that allows AJ to extend his career & eventually be his replacement. I believe most WRs don't hit their stride until second year with some exceptions. Do I risk a first or second now & hope the pick is more than just an improvement at our WR5? Do I skip WR in '13 and hope that some of the underclassmen return to college and come out in 2014 offering a better option for Texans? If Patterson, Hopkins & Woods decide to return & a few lower round guys step up + maybe a Marqis Lee declares in '14, would a better option be there in 2014 and allow Texans to go for a non-receiver in first 4 rounds now? I am looking at nose in first and Cobi Hamilton in third. Posey against Colts offered me some hope. If he and Jean can get some reps, I hope to move this position off my board. They really need to step up. Still, if Terrance Williams is there in first...argh!

LB is my second priority & despite this being a weak class, I think Texans can fill that need in third.

S will be a low priority if Quin returns and for now I think he will.

1. NT John Jenkins (my draft partner Beerlover says he drops to us or is close enough for a trade up. Hey, he picked JJ Watt.) or Luis Nix should be here. I don't want to use picks to trade up but Tate?
2. OLB Morgan Brislin could be another Mercilus and I will be surprised if Barwin comes back as he would be much more expensive than Brooks.
3A. ILB Andrew Jackson hey he can play OLB and reminds me of former Alabama Dont'a Hightower who was drafted by mmm oh yeah New England.
3b. WR (at least for now) Cobi Hamilton Arkansas. 6'2" 209 and may break into 4.4s 90/1335 14.8 5 TDs
4. OT/OG Rick Wagner
5A TE Michael Williams
5B RB Cierre Woods
5C C/OG Gabe Ikard
6. DE Kapron Lewis -Moore as Crick is looking very good & could be A. Smith's replacement. I wish I had Moore's motor. If you have watched Notre Dame this season you know what I mean. Jan 7th Alabama v. ND!
7A CB/FS Darrius Slay this dark horse could be a talent at either position and moves into #3 safety in his second year.
7B (allan ball) Ray Ray Armstrong go ahead and jeer but he probably will go as high as 5th.
Old 12-17-2012   #2
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19403 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opinions on Texans draft changing?

NT is still my top priority, only real need i think. First round, really hoping for Nix from ND.

OT, i think we got our answer against the colts when newton came back and played really well, the line looked a lot better with him, so OT moves down to around 4-5th round of me but a pick is still needed because we could loose all or some of gardner, butler and harris in FA

OG, similar to OT, jones has played consistently well from the get go and i think brooks had a good game against the colts and from what kubiack said, we should see more of him in the next few weeks. so OG like OT is around the mid to late rounds.
THe only thing that concerns me is the amount of OG/OT that are finishing their contracts this year, depending how many leave and who leaves OG/OT could move up my board, but for now im looking for depth and competition not starters.

WR, was never a real priority for me and im a big fan of posey so i would like to give them (posey, martin, jean and maehl) another year before we go after the Number 1 wideout.

I started the year out thinking CB in the mid rounds to add depth but now see it as high priority (e.g. 2nd round), harris is not progressing, kjax is good but i think he needs some competition to keep him playing well and progressing, also with the amount of nickle packages we play the 3rd CB is a real importance now. mccain before his injury was also not playing as well as last year.

The big surprise for me is Safety. I have always been a big fan of demps but im starting to become a little worried with him. I see safety as high as the 3rd round. We often play 3 safeties on the field and demps is a playmaker and a ball magnet but is not consistent enough and im finding myself worried when is on the field. Consistency is the key because our DB have been playing well but given up the big play has been killing us the last few weeks. Also manning is getting a little older and is quite expensive. im not saying we get rid of him because his too good but a player to groom under him is needed and i feel demps isnt that guy. also keo is mainly a ST and isnt the future starting S for this team.

RB, may be needed if we trade Tate, but i liked grimes in the offseason and have been happy with forsett so its not a massive priority even if we loose Tate. so at most round 6.

TE, we saw when GG went down we struggled on offence, this offence plays more importance on the 2nd TE then the 2nd WR, so going after a TE early i wouldn't be mad with but i feel we need to target other positions first. but i would like some competition going into camp so i feel TE must be address somewhere in the draft.

Not concerned about DE, because if we get that NT, earl mitchell moves over to DE (if cody stays) and our starters are very good and with good back ups in jamison, crick and mitchell we should be fine.

OLB is a bit of a wildcard, i really like merciless and barwin hasnt had those nice stats like last year. if barwin leaves in FA i think and early to mid-round pick is need e.g. 2-4th round. But i think he stays to a team friendly deal and if he does a late round pick is all thats needed to add competition, also im thinking we loose nading in FA, or flat out cut him. also braman is a beast!!!!!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
We have seen several mocks by our regulars in this forum and some new folks and welcome by the way. Have your thoughts changed on what positions we need to draft? What about players in draft? Who has dropped on your boards and who had risen?

Nose still remains my priority and I do not see that changing. Good news is a good one should be there in first IF Wade wants.

Ben Jones settling in at RG & surplanting Caldwell has been a pleasant surprise & has allowed Brooks a chance to remain in shadows while he does whatever he needs to do. Where would team be if Jones had not stepped up? Newton won me over and from what I see in posts others are joining me. As the right side has solidified with these two on field more together, a right side O lineman has dropped from first round to 4th on my board. I wished Wade Smith was better but I think he is still injured from last season. I next want to see Brooks step up & show he will be the answer by 2014.

WR is something I keep moving down then yanking back up. I desperately want a player to line up opposite AJ and be that WR2 that allows AJ to extend his career & eventually be his replacement. I believe most WRs don't hit their stride until second year with some exceptions. Do I risk a first or second now & hope the pick is more than just an improvement at our WR5? Do I skip WR in '13 and hope that some of the underclassmen return to college and come out in 2014 offering a better option for Texans? If Patterson, Hopkins & Woods decide to return & a few lower round guys step up + maybe a Marqis Lee declares in '14, would a better option be there in 2014 and allow Texans to go for a non-receiver in first 4 rounds now? I am looking at nose in first and Cobi Hamilton in third. Posey against Colts offered me some hope. If he and Jean can get some reps, I hope to move this position off my board. They really need to step up. Still, if Terrance Williams is there in first...argh!

LB is my second priority & despite this being a weak class, I think Texans can fill that need in third.

1. NT John Jenkins (my draft partner Beerlover says he drops to us or is close enough for a trade up. Hey, he picked JJ Watt.) or Luis Nix should be here. I don't want to use picks to trade up but Tate?
2. OLB Morgan Brislin could be another Mercilus and I will be surprised if Barwin comes back as he would be much more expensive than Brooks.
3A. ILB Andrew Jackson hey he can play OLB and reminds me of former Alabama Dont'a Hightower who was drafted by mmm oh yeah New England.
3b. WR (at least for now) Cobi Hamilton Arkansas. 6'2" 209 and may break into 4.4s 90/1335 14.8 5 TDs
4. OT/OG Rick Wagner
5A TE Michael Williams
5B RB Cierre Woods
5C C/OG Gabe Ikard
6. DE Kapron Lewis -Moore as Crick is looking very good & could be A. Smith's replacement. I wish I had Moore's motor. If you have watched Notre Dame this season you know what I mean. Jan 7th Alabama v. ND!
7A CB/FS Darrius Slay this dark horse could be a talent at either position and moves into #3 safety in his second year.
7B (allan ball) Ray Ray Armstrong go ahead and jeer but he probably will go as high as 5th.
I want to fix the offense so that they can score more than one offensive TD as they have in the past couple of games.

Patterson/Terrance Williams represent more value talent wise than any of the DT's. IMHO A WR corps of AJ/Posey/Williams/Martin/Walter would be the best in Texans history.

I also rate OT as as high need. There's a big talent gap between guys like Long/Winters/Lane Johnson in the 2nd rd and Wagner in the 4th, if he's still there. (Doubtful) Wagner isn't a good for the ZBS. Doesn't have the feet.

I will check out some of your sleeper picks. If you get time Check out some of my sleeper picks. Reid Fragel Ohio St. RT, Former TE, real physical has good feet. Malcolm Bronson He tore his ACL and should be available late in the draft. He is the nephew of Zack played for the 49ers and is from Jasper. Malcolm kept the much hearlded Janzen Jackson on the bench last yr at McNeese. Guy is a player.

Montori Hughes is another big athletic NT who got kicked out of Tennesee (Dooley) for smoking pot. But he's a player.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150820 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I really enjoy the mocks I read here, so please don't take this as anything other than constructive criticism.

But I think most mock drafts are too need dependent. I know there is an element in all drafts, including the actual draft. But it is rare, I think, that a team can actually say, "This is number one priority, this is number two priority, this is number three"

Case in point, we have NT at the top of a lot of mock drafts for this team, but we have one of the fiercest pass rush & a stout run defense. Only 3 rushing TDs have been given up by whatever squad Wade has put on the field this year despite facing some of the better rushers in the league. McGahee, Rice, MJD, CJ2ypc, CJSpiller, Matt Forte, Steven Riddley.......

Need yes, but to the point that we don't take the best player who happens to be a WR or OG or Safety, or ILB... I don't see it.

I'd love to have a #1a in training at WR. I'd hate to get rid of KDub but this offense would be the shiazttzz with 1st round talent lined up opposite Andre. Maybe we have that with Posey, but if that questioned isn't answered before our season is over....... let's not rule out a talented WR for the sake of a NT.

I think many people thought NT was a major need last year as well. As great a season as Nick Fairley has been having, we'd have missed out on Jj Watt.
Old 12-18-2012   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to burst anyone's bubble but Nix is staying at ND.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ix-enter-draft

I thought he'd go before we had a chance at him but now someone else will move up and away from us in the 1st round.

Current needs as I see them:
1. DT/NT, I saw Cody getting pushed around by a single blocker in the Colts game way to often and being a 3 mil. a yr. player and FA says bye bye to me. Kawann Short-DT from Purdue, great size and strength to anchor on double teams, speed to penetrate on single blocking, agility/athleticism to play the run and pressure the QB.
2. WR, regardless of what Posey, Martin, and Jean have done this year or not done, which isn't much, we need some better WR talent. Those guys should be fighting for a roster spot next training camp. Quinton Patton-WR from La. Tech. size, great hands, decent speed, field awareness, not afraid of contact, and good routes.
3. OT/OG, I want at least 1 guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and preferably 2 that can play both positions, good quality talent that can step in if needed or fighting for a starting spot in training camp as well as a later round OG for depth. Ricky Wagner-OT from Wisconsin.
3b. OG, Gabe Jackson-OG from Miss. St. with the comp. 3rd. Back to back O-line helps solidify the line for the future and Wade Smith will be leaving after the 2013 season, maybe sooner.
4. CB, we lose McCain in FA because even mediocre CB's are expensive and Harris steps up to take his nickle spot and a draft pick steps in to fill Harris's spot as trainable and upgradeable (is that a word) depth. Johnny Adams-CB from Mich. St. he's got size, speed, athleticism, and potential to be coached up.
5. ILB, once Cushing is back and with a better NT the other 2 down ILB spot is much less important but some young athletic stable talent with potential would be nice here. Kevin Reddick-ILB from UNC or Bruce Taylor-ILB from Va. Tech. both have size and athleticism.
5b. TE, a blocking TE would be nice, our O-line needs some size up front. Michael Williams-TE from Alabama, great size but can catch as well. 6'06" and 270 lbs. would look nice lined up next to Brown or Newton.
6. FB, a real one not a converted TE with no size for lead blocking. I know we don't use one much but in goal line situations some Vontae Leach kind of size and pounding ability would be nice. J.C. Copeland-FB from LSU, a Vontae Leach clone and cheaper than Clutts.
6b. Safety, some added competition in the secondary so that guys like Demps, who I like, at least have to fight for their jobs. No one in mind right now but it's not a great year for Safety so some mid round talent will fall.
7. P, field position is so important and the ability to pin someone deep in their own territory helps your defense immensely. See Bryan Anger from Jacksonville. I like Quinn Sharp-P/K from Oklahoma St. who can also be an emergency K if needed.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #6
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19403 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post

not happy about this!!!!!!
ill be focusing on the williams, from 'Bama and NC.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

4. OT/OG Rick Wagner
5A TE Michael Williams
5B RB Cierre Woods
5C C/OG Gabe Ikard
First off, and this is not just to badboy, it appears Nix is returning to ND- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...?sct=uk_t11_a2

I am slowly becoming more comfortable with the right side of the line. I am not there 100% there yet, but I am on the way. Even if Newton and Jones prove themselves to be starters, we will need to draft a backup at both tackle and guard.

WR is a tough one to peg, I agree. However, again, I am coming to the same conclusion as you- this draft, WR is not a pressing need. AJ is having a dynamite year, even if he does not have the same explosiveness. He still has a couple good years left, we can wait to draft his replacement. The rest of the receivers do their jobs. I dont think we have one real #2 receiver, but rather a couple guys that come in depending on what is going on. Posey really impressed me last game, let's see if he can keep it up. At this rate, we may not have to draft a receiver at all this year.

ILB is a need, in my opinion. I dont think there is a coincidence that since Cushing's injury, we look weaker on D.

OLB is also a need, I think, even if Barwin re-signs. We are getting very little pass rush from the OLBs, which cant happen in a 3-4. Watt is playing out of his mind, but he needs support. Mercilus has 6 sacks, but they appear to be gimmes. Reed has 2 sacks in 11 games, Barwin has very few as well. Even if we just draft a 3rd down pass rush specialist, it needs to be addressed.

I think Quin stays as well. I dont think he would get that much money on the open market, that we are over-valuing him. He will get a raise, but it wont break the bank (though Barwin may have to walk).

1) I would be good with Jenkins. As with all NTs, there is some sizeable risk, but it really is the big whole on this team. Worth the risk, and would be BPA if available.

2) I dont know much about Breslin. Good numbers, good size, but never really stood out to me when I watched USC. I will see if I can scrounge up some more film.

3) Old Hickory, sign me up.

3) Like I said earlier, I dont know if WR is a good choice this year. I dont know if any player taken late willget any real playing time next year, and it may be better to just take one high in 2014.

4) I dont think Wagner fits the system. Good player, but for another team.

5) Michael Williams is a pretty solid pick. Blocking TE with underrated hands. I think he will be gone though.

5) Woods is a great choice. Really, the definition of a number 2 back- does everything well, nothing exceptionally so. Can be a great breather option.

5) Heck yea, boomer sooners! I dont think he declares though, he is only a Junior. I think he returns to Norman for his Senior year.

6) Lewis-Moore is a great pick. We are going to need a DE opposite Watt pretty soon, and KLM can be that guy.

7) Slay could be a good NFL player. I think Broomfield is more talented, but Slay's size might make him a better pro. Only thing is, I think I am going to address CB earlier. I am not confident in Harris at all anymore.

7) Sorry bb, I dont like this idea, unless you plan on PS-ing him, and moving him to ILB.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2012   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
NT is still my top priority, only real need i think. First round, really hoping for Nix from ND.

OT, i think we got our answer against the colts when newton came back and played really well, the line looked a lot better with him, so OT moves down to around 4-5th round of me but a pick is still needed because we could loose all or some of gardner, butler and harris in FA

OG, similar to OT, jones has played consistently well from the get go and i think brooks had a good game against the colts and from what kubiack said, we should see more of him in the next few weeks. so OG like OT is around the mid to late rounds.
THe only thing that concerns me is the amount of OG/OT that are finishing their contracts this year, depending how many leave and who leaves OG/OT could move up my board, but for now im looking for depth and competition not starters.

WR, was never a real priority for me and im a big fan of posey so i would like to give them (posey, martin, jean and maehl) another year before we go after the Number 1 wideout.

I started the year out thinking CB in the mid rounds to add depth but now see it as high priority (e.g. 2nd round), harris is not progressing, kjax is good but i think he needs some competition to keep him playing well and progressing, also with the amount of nickle packages we play the 3rd CB is a real importance now. mccain before his injury was also not playing as well as last year.

The big surprise for me is Safety. I have always been a big fan of demps but im starting to become a little worried with him. I see safety as high as the 3rd round. We often play 3 safeties on the field and demps is a playmaker and a ball magnet but is not consistent enough and im finding myself worried when is on the field. Consistency is the key because our DB have been playing well but given up the big play has been killing us the last few weeks. Also manning is getting a little older and is quite expensive. im not saying we get rid of him because his too good but a player to groom under him is needed and i feel demps isnt that guy. also keo is mainly a ST and isnt the future starting S for this team.

RB, may be needed if we trade Tate, but i liked grimes in the offseason and have been happy with forsett so its not a massive priority even if we loose Tate. so at most round 6.

TE, we saw when GG went down we struggled on offence, this offence plays more importance on the 2nd TE then the 2nd WR, so going after a TE early i wouldn't be mad with but i feel we need to target other positions first. but i would like some competition going into camp so i feel TE must be address somewhere in the draft.

Not concerned about DE, because if we get that NT, earl mitchell moves over to DE (if cody stays) and our starters are very good and with good back ups in jamison, crick and mitchell we should be fine.

OLB is a bit of a wildcard, i really like merciless and barwin hasnt had those nice stats like last year. if barwin leaves in FA i think and early to mid-round pick is need e.g. 2-4th round. But i think he stays to a team friendly deal and if he does a late round pick is all thats needed to add competition, also im thinking we loose nading in FA, or flat out cut him. also braman is a beast!!!!!
Looks like you put some thought into your post. I've tried to mock a corner but don't see any after say mid second that thrills me. TBH I did not spend much time on college corners or safeties. Early I was going to follow U.Texas guys but that fizzled quickly. Any recommendations for late 2nd or after? I think Slay will do well at either.

Barwin, do we need an OLB that does not get to QB consistently at even a low contract? If Watt had turned out to be a normal DE, we would be a hurtin'. I say bye bye Connor and draft an OLB.

RB, if you can watch Cierre Wood when Notre Dame plays Alabama.
Old 12-18-2012   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 52595 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think i'm about the same now as i was early in the season.

1. wide receiver. it's past time to look for the heir to andre, who significantly upgrades #2 wide receiver in the mean time. we're way too dependent on andre and multiple tightend sets to move the ball through the air because our wide receivers arent capable of consistently making plays.

2 offensive tackle. i still see newton topping out as a very good backup. if long is available, i'd make him a priority pick, even taking him in the first if he continues to climb. brooks and jones seem poised to take the OG positions, so i think we're good there, but the bookend opposite duane brown is a very big need IMO.

3 inside linebacker. brian cushing and then a lot of average players on the current squad, none of whom should be starting. this is a spot where i'd like to see us double up in the middle rounds and aim at guys who have shown ball skills in coverage. we have thumpers, but only cushing who can really be an asset when we switch to nickel.

4 nose tackle. i dont rank this as a need, but i would certainly love a franchise big body. NT i would like to see us grab as BPA - whether in the first round or 7th doesnt matter to me. i'd hate to see us bypass a better player to fill this position, but if BPA at our pick is a heavy, i hope we jump on it.

5 corner, safety, OLB. i list these as positions that could use depth, but rate them as areas that could be filled with second tier veteran free agents. i'd look for late round athletes to fill the practice squad and hope to land a gem.
Old 12-18-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post

I thought he'd go before we had a chance at him but now someone else will move up and away from us in the 1st round.

Current needs as I see them:
1. DT/NT, I saw Cody getting pushed around by a single blocker in the Colts game way to often and being a 3 mil. a yr. player and FA says bye bye to me. Kawann Short-DT from Purdue, great size and strength to anchor on double teams, speed to penetrate on single blocking, agility/athleticism to play the run and pressure the QB.
2. WR, regardless of what Posey, Martin, and Jean have done this year or not done, which isn't much, we need some better WR talent. Those guys should be fighting for a roster spot next training camp. Quinton Patton-WR from La. Tech. size, great hands, decent speed, field awareness, not afraid of contact, and good routes.
3. OT/OG, I want at least 1 guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and preferably 2 that can play both positions, good quality talent that can step in if needed or fighting for a starting spot in training camp as well as a later round OG for depth. Ricky Wagner-OT from Wisconsin.
3b. OG, Gabe Jackson-OG from Miss. St. with the comp. 3rd. Back to back O-line helps solidify the line for the future and Wade Smith will be leaving after the 2013 season, maybe sooner.
4. CB, we lose McCain in FA because even mediocre CB's are expensive and Harris steps up to take his nickle spot and a draft pick steps in to fill Harris's spot as trainable and upgradeable (is that a word) depth. Johnny Adams-CB from Mich. St. he's got size, speed, athleticism, and potential to be coached up.
5. ILB, once Cushing is back and with a better NT the other 2 down ILB spot is much less important but some young athletic stable talent with potential would be nice here. Kevin Reddick-ILB from UNC or Bruce Taylor-ILB from Va. Tech. both have size and athleticism.
5b. TE, a blocking TE would be nice, our O-line needs some size up front. Michael Williams-TE from Alabama, great size but can catch as well. 6'06" and 270 lbs. would look nice lined up next to Brown or Newton.
6. FB, a real one not a converted TE with no size for lead blocking. I know we don't use one much but in goal line situations some Vontae Leach kind of size and pounding ability would be nice. J.C. Copeland-FB from LSU, a Vontae Leach clone and cheaper than Clutts.
6b. Safety, some added competition in the secondary so that guys like Demps, who I like, at least have to fight for their jobs. No one in mind right now but it's not a great year for Safety so some mid round talent will fall.
7. P, field position is so important and the ability to pin someone deep in their own territory helps your defense immensely. See Bryan Anger from Jacksonville. I like Quinn Sharp-P/K from Oklahoma St. who can also be an emergency K if needed.
The news about Nix surprises me as I thought he was leaving for certain. Kelly must have got him drunk and whispered in his ear. Nix almost left last year. I guess his Irish Chocolate followers convinced him to ride the wave of popularity. Wow. Jesse Williams an early guy for me has moved up & I just cannot get a good read on Sylvester. He has done well when I have focused on him but he turned 24 last month and I want to see if he can keep the weight off. He is quicker and looke good against Virginia. He also has a rep for taking plays off but I have not seen that. It is possible with Nix gone, if S.Williams has a good combine he will climb into late 20s. He is ranked 69. If I knew he would be there in second....

SHort has a rep for not playing 100% but I guess if he can his stats as he has he might be an option. This is same issue I have with Sylvester and not sure that type play translates to NFL. Whomever we draft at NT will have to play hard every play.
Old 12-18-2012   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope, I still want to trade one of our picks for Kirk Cousins.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i think i'm about the same now as i was early in the season.

1. wide receiver. it's past time to look for the heir to andre, who significantly upgrades #2 wide receiver in the mean time. we're way too dependent on andre and multiple tightend sets to move the ball through the air because our wide receivers arent capable of consistently making plays.

2 offensive tackle. i still see newton topping out as a very good backup. if long is available, i'd make him a priority pick, even taking him in the first if he continues to climb. brooks and jones seem poised to take the OG positions, so i think we're good there, but the bookend opposite duane brown is a very big need IMO.

3 inside linebacker. brian cushing and then a lot of average players on the current squad, none of whom should be starting. this is a spot where i'd like to see us double up in the middle rounds and aim at guys who have shown ball skills in coverage. we have thumpers, but only cushing who can really be an asset when we switch to nickel.

4 nose tackle. i dont rank this as a need, but i would certainly love a franchise big body. NT i would like to see us grab as BPA - whether in the first round or 7th doesnt matter to me. i'd hate to see us bypass a better player to fill this position, but if BPA at our pick is a heavy, i hope we jump on it.

5 corner, safety, OLB. i list these as positions that could use depth, but rate them as areas that could be filled with second tier veteran free agents. i'd look for late round athletes to fill the practice squad and hope to land a gem.
This

Obviously the Texans have trouble scoring TD's. Either this is because of Garys conservatism or lack of playmakers. I tend to think it's the latter. Add a Williams or a Patterson in the 1st rd and a Winters in the 2nd and you will start seeing 24-31 points a game instead of 14-20 points a game. This will help take pressure off of the defense.

The good thing is you still should be able to find a good NT Which I rate as a higher need than you do) and upgrade depth at ILB.
Old 12-18-2012   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150820 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
...and you will start seeing 24-31 points a game instead of 14-20 points a game. This will help take pressure off of the defense.
Are you talking about the Texans?
  1. 30
  2. 27
  3. 31
  4. 38
  5. 23
  6. 24
  7. 43
  8. bye
  9. 21
  10. 13
  11. 43
  12. 34
  13. 24
  14. 14
  15. 29

We average 28 ppg.
Old 12-18-2012   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
  1. 30
  2. 27
  3. 31
  4. 38
  5. 23
  6. 24
  7. 43
  8. bye
  9. 21
  10. 13
  11. 43
  12. 34
  13. 24
  14. 14
  15. 29

We average 28 ppg.
Didn't realize that, however would you consider this offense potent? Especially against playoff caliber teams? 2 offensive TD's in the last 2 wks tells me the Texans could use an upgrade at WR/OL. Either that or Gary has gone ultra conservative and lost faith in Schaub to make good decisions in the Red Zone. I know you're a stats guy TK, but sometimes stats lie.
Old 12-18-2012   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Didn't realize that, however would you consider this offense potent? Especially against playoff caliber teams? 2 offensive TD's in the last 2 wks tells me the Texans could use an upgrade at WR/OL. Either that or Gary has gone ultra conservative and lost faith in Schaub to make good decisions in the Red Zone. I know you're a stats guy TK, but sometimes stats lie.
I think your point is good, the premise is the only thing I questioned.

This is a much better argument.

The only thing is that I wish Newton had never gotten hurt. Don't know where his game would be if not for that. I more or less like all the guys on our OL. Newton & Jones just need time. Myers.... well he's starting to tick me off. Smith has been playing better than I thought & I love the big guy (76).

But, I think we need to improve the pedigree of our offense. We need more 1st round pick, or more guys who expect to win. These last two seasons will help our offense with the latter.

At the same time, we're going to draft someone. I'd rather draft a 1st round offensive big ugly than a defensive big ugly. Because I want to blow people off the line. We did it with Eric & Briesel, so maybe Newton & Jones can get it done.

So I would have no problem taking an OG, targeting the veteran LG, or even a Center. If we have the opportunity to get better....
Old 12-18-2012   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
  1. 30
  2. 27
  3. 31
  4. 38
  5. 23
  6. 24
  7. 43
  8. bye
  9. 21
  10. 13
  11. 43
  12. 34
  13. 24
  14. 14
  15. 29

We average 28 ppg.
How many defensive td's in there?

I know it won't greatly change the stats, but just curious.

I know this past week we scored on ST and over the course of the year we've scored defensive td's and given the offense great field position....we've also had two overtime games which bump our point totals a little...

And then against the patriots 7 of Those points were scored by the back ups in garbage time...

I realize every team has stuff like this happen, but I would be interested if there is a stay out there for "true point production"...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

If you improve the middle of this defense with an elite NT w/Cushing returning next season just how many points per game over 28 would be necessary?

With Kubiaks conservative nature I see them addressing ability to improve ball control/time of possession. In my last mock, after taking Jenkins I identified two OT's both bolstering right & left sides. As well ball control WR & blocking TE. Defensively, besides addressing nose also selected two stud LB's one inside Kiko Alonzo & one OLB in Whitney Mercilus teammate last season @ Illinois, Michael Buchanan who has ideal length 6'5" & is a bender with speed @ 245.

edit: nevermind Jenkins is returning for his Senior season @ Georgia http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog...ga_sports_blog

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO ... I think you take the BPA out of these positions WR , NG , OLB , DE , TE in the 1st .

2nd rd ... the ones you didn't address plus ILB .
Old 12-18-2012   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
How many defensive td's in there?

I know it won't greatly change the stats, but just curious.

I know this past week we scored on ST and over the course of the year we've scored defensive td's and given the offense great field position....we've also had two overtime games which bump our point totals a little...

And then against the patriots 7 of Those points were scored by the back ups in garbage time...

I realize every team has stuff like this happen, but I would be interested if there is a stay out there for "true point production"...
I don't think we've scored many defensive TDs all year. KMart got one on Special teams, Braman got his. Kj returned one for a TD, Manning did, Jjo did (but I don't think we've scored defensively since we lost Cushing). & that's about it.

We do benefit from the short field, can't argue.

But like you said, that's the game. It's not just offense, or defense.... ST. It's a team thing.

We haven't played any top ten defenses, either points or yards. I think that may be the nugget you're looking for. & that's a concern. We did play Miami & Denver, but again, we are most definitely not the team we were back then. We played the Bears, but didn't really score much.

Denver & that defense is the team I don't want to see in the play-offs.
Old 12-18-2012   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think we've scored many defensive TDs all year. KMart got one on Special teams, Braman got his. Kj returned one for a TD, Manning did, Jjo did (but I don't think we've scored defensively since we lost Cushing). & that's about it.

We do benefit from the short field, can't argue.

But like you said, that's the game. It's not just offense, or defense.... ST. It's a team thing.

We haven't played any top ten defenses, either points or yards. I think that may be the nugget you're looking for. & that's a concern. We did play Miami & Denver, but again, we are most definitely not the team we were back then. We played the Bears, but didn't really score much.

Denver & that defense is the team I don't want to see in the play-offs.
I think the NE vs SF game Sunday night is the new NFL . The 49ers and their vaunted defense beat NE 41 to 34 . The 85 Bears don't exist anymore and so you better be able to run with the big dogs . That's where the GB and NE games alarm me .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read