Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-17-2012   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Our secondary played well this week

Andrew Luck was held under 200 yards passing. I don't have the season numbers in front of me but I don't think many teams have been able to hold hin that low. Almost 1/3 of his yardage came on the one big play we allowed in the passing game. Watt and co. helped out by staying in his face all day.

Most impressive to me was Kareem locking down arguably the 2nd best WR in our conference. Reggie Wayne was held to 14 YARDS on 3 catches. GREAT JOB KJ!!!

We have had plenty to be upset about with our pass D the last month or so, but yesterday was a very good performance by the Bulls on Parade.
Old 12-17-2012   #2
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our secondary played well this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Andrew Luck was held under 200 yards passing. I don't have the season numbers in front of me but I don't think many teams have been able to hold hin that low. Almost 1/3 of his yardage came on the one big play we allowed in the passing game. Watt and co. helped out by staying in his face all day.

Most impressive to me was Kareem locking down arguably the 2nd best WR in our conference. Reggie Wayne was held to 14 YARDS on 3 catches. GREAT JOB KJ!!!

We have had plenty to be upset about with our pass D the last month or so, but yesterday was a very good performance by the Bulls on Parade.
Methinks the defensive line wrecking havoc had more to do with it than anything else. I thought that the Colts had a lot of people who were open but the passes were off target.
Old 12-17-2012   #3
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9715 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Question for you guys that watched this on TV, from my seats it looked like one of our guys, possibly Barwin, was blatantly held on that play. I was yelling like an idiot for a flag. Did you notice this or am I crazy?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #4
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans D played well yesterday except for that break-down towards the end of the first half when the Colts scored on that long pass play.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Methinks the defensive line wrecking havoc had more to do with it than anything else. I thought that the Colts had a lot of people who were open but the passes were off target.
There have been times, especially last Monday, where our secondary couldn't keep any body covered long enough for the SWatt team to get to the QB. At least they are back to doing that much.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #6
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Question for you guys that watched this on TV, from my seats it looked like one of our guys, possibly Barwin, was blatantly held on that play. I was yelling like an idiot for a flag. Did you notice this or am I crazy?
Yes, I noticed it. I told my wife "Look, there's Vinnie (with an i e) yelling like an idiot. I'm sure others noticed it as well but we don't think you're crazy.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

JJ Watt happened

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2012   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm leaning more towards Andrew Luck is a rookie.

I still saw our Safeties out of position (where I think they should have been), & there were still some receivers running free. However, they closed & played the ball many times. Several plays, Luck held the ball & from just that game it appears our secondary needs to maintain coverage for 4 seconds before Connor Barwin can sniff a QB.

Danieal Manning & Glover still look confused at times. The short TD thrown by Luck, looked like Quin was supposed to rotate over, but was late. Manning got a hand on the receiver but didn't redirect or slow him down.

I didn't see a whole lot thrown towards Jjo, I think that's a good sign for us, let the other guys do the heavy lifting while he acclimates himself to the game.

But I'm pretty sure they didn't play anyone exclusively. I saw Kj on Wayne, that number 11 & another guy (I thought I saw him manned up on a TE at one time) & I Know Brandon Harrison was on Wayne a little too often for my liking.

There is still room for improvement, but Luck was 18 TD for 18 INTs before he played us & now he's 20 TDs for 18 INTs.. the yard thing is nice, but points is where it's at.
Old 12-17-2012   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm leaning towards we did what we were supposed to do against a Colts Oline that had to play a couple back up players. Which is below average even when healthy.

The D had a good day, minus the big play.

That said, Ballard is no AP. Ballard hangin a hundo on us makes me cringe considering AP's coming to town
Old 12-17-2012   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ Watt and others being in Luck's face all afternoon???

Jeez . . I wonder why the secondary play well.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #11
Tango
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respected

I think two factors:

1) Bruce Arians likes taking shots down the field, thus Luck has to hang on to the ball much longer, unlike Brady and Rogers, who have quick releases. (I forget who I heard this from on the radio, I thought it was a good point.)

2) The Colts were having success running the ball and picking up significant yardage this way instead of having to just rely on the passing game.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Either way our secondary has to get better fast. New England didn't have the success against the 9ers that they had against us because 9ers DBs covered well. Alot of coverage sacks happened.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Either way our secondary has to get better fast. New England didn't have the success against the 9ers that they had against us because 9ers DBs covered well. Alot of coverage sacks happened.
The 9ers have the best LB corps in the NFL. Ours is below average at this point. It makes a huge difference when you have the 9ers LBs that can cover vs ours that can't.

Sure, our DBs didn't have their best game, but the LB corps was horrible.
Old 12-17-2012   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
That's not true at all.

Brady did his damage to us in the 1st qtr, no one remembers that he was shut out through most of the second & third qtr. (we raised the white flag in the 4th)

Brady got the 49ers in the 4th. He got them back in the game, hung 31 points on them in them in the last 17-18 minutes.
Old 12-17-2012   #15
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 56179 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

The impressive thing was KJ actually got to shadow Wayne and did an AWESOME job, are we seeing a shift in our number 1 corner?
Old 12-17-2012   #16
Tango
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The 9ers have the best LB corps in the NFL. Ours is below average at this point. It makes a huge difference when you have the 9ers LBs that can cover vs ours that can't.

Sure, our DBs didn't have their best game, but the LB corps was horrible.
QFT! Our LB play has been sucky.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #17
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
The impressive thing was KJ actually got to shadow Wayne and did an AWESOME job, are we seeing a shift in our number 1 corner?
I thought I saw Harris on Wayne a lot?
Old 12-17-2012   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
I thought I saw Harris on Wayne a lot?
They were both on Wayne a lot. I don't think we locked either of them on Wayne. I don't know how they divied it up, but I never saw Jjo on him.

I don't think our #1 is shifting, Kj & Harris getting better does not make Jjo worse.

I think what we'll see in the future, when Jjo get's healthy, is Jjo play on the left where he looks most comfortable & Kj play on the right where he is most comfortable.

I know the best/elite don't play it that way. But if we've got two that can play at that level, specializing on their side of the field is a big plus for them.

If one of them get hurt, the other will probably lock onto the "best" receiver, but Harris looks like he's going to be pretty good too.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read