Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-17-2012   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Derek Newton had a mean streak.

Anybody else noticed that he had a very very good game.
He won a good majority of his battles; some of the blocks were excellent.
And his cut blocks were just down right nasty.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Derek Newton had a mean streak.

I have hope for Newton. He's gotten his lunch money taken a couple times this season, but he's done some taking, too. He fights, he's got that mean streak, and he can bury guys.

Our interior line play has been craptastic for much of the year, though - especially the C-RG combo. Nothing I hate seeing more than Chris Myers tripping Arian Foster or pressuring Matt Schaub.
Old 12-17-2012   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Too bad Wade Smith left his mean streak at the house yesterday. I haven't replayed my recording yet, but at first glance, he was getting abused. He was driven back into Arian a few times.

Props to Newton
Old 12-17-2012   #4
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

How did Ben Jones play yesterday ? And wasn't Brandon Brooks in the game on a few plays at RG for Jones ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
How did Ben Jones play yesterday ? And wasn't Brandon Brooks in the game on a few plays at RG for Jones ?
Jones played well enough.
For a rookie, I'm pleased with his season so far.
I like his long-term prospect.

Brooks played very well, I think.
But he didn't play much.

I think Kubiak really want to settle the line-up for the play-offs, so he sticks with Jones.

I like Wade Smith; he's been playing hurt since last season.
If he doesn't get healthy next year, I think we will see Jones and Brooks at Guard.

I don't mind having Smith and Caldwell for depth, if they take the vet minimum.

That way, we can put our resources to other uses.
Old 12-17-2012   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

He was plowing people. Mauling people.

Was very mobile.

Yeah, I noticed it all day. He was taking care of business out there.
Old 12-17-2012   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm watching now.

OT: When you go back to watch the game, can you look at Foster's big run to start the 2nd half. 13:53 in the 3rd. It's the best blocking job I've seen in a long time. Ben Jones shows a mean streak & a mean left hook.

But what I want you to look at, is Myers & Smith. Myers is doing a great job blocking his guy. Doesn't need any help at all. Smith, who appears to be looking for something to do goes low on the guy Myers is blocking high. He chop blocks him.

It wasn't called, but should have been. Can you think of any reason Smith would do that?

Again, I haven't seen Brooks in the game, wasn't really looking for him. But please tell me he's being worked in at LG.
Old 12-17-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

Again, I haven't seen Brooks in the game, wasn't really looking for him. But please tell me he's being worked in at LG.
I haven't been impressed with Wade Smith this year. I thought coming into this season he was one of the more solid players on the line, but he's not been all that good IMO.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I haven't been impressed with Wade Smith this year. I thought coming into this season he was one of the more solid players on the line, but he's not been all that good IMO.
No, he's not all that good; actually, I think he's lacking.
But I have to give him props for being a warrior and fighting through al these nagging injuries.
What you really want out of an O-lineman.
Old 12-17-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
man I focused on him. I was not on his list of fans during TC; didn't think he could cut it but he won me over quickly. Rookie or not (17 snaps last season) he kept impressing me. Sure his blocks were seldom pretty or always effective but he seemed to have his head and body in the game. I have probably been his biggest defender on threads and PMs. Hope I turn out to be just as wrong about his backup Ryans.
Old 12-17-2012   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jones played well enough.
For a rookie, I'm pleased with his season so far.
I like his long-term prospect.

Brooks played very well, I think.
But he didn't play much.

I think Kubiak really want to settle the line-up for the play-offs, so he sticks with Jones.

I like Wade Smith; he's been playing hurt since last season.
If he doesn't get healthy next year, I think we will see Jones and Brooks at Guard.

I don't mind having Smith and Caldwell for depth, if they take the vet minimum.

That way, we can put our resources to other uses.
Caldwell is FA '13 but Smith under contract at $3m.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read