Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2012   #141
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This team's in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I'd much rather play New England or Baltimore. Denver's D is pretty good. It'll be difficult keeping our offense on the field. If we get the Pats that are playing tonight, I think we've got a chance.
I'd take Baltimore all day long, they just aren't going to get there. Denver is.
Old 12-16-2012   #142
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13265 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I enjoyed the NOW last year.

I enjoyed the NOW prior to the Patriots game this year.

I won't be easily persuaded to be light-hearted and carefree until this team is playing in the SB. They have a chance, but it hinges on HFA. And Denver is being relentless and we've got two more games to go...and the Pats, I don't think they let up one inch the rest of the way.
We're Top 3, probably Team 2 out of the Top 3 teams in the AFC.

I got your PM, and I agree thatr anything can happen...but we aren't getting a badass young QB anytime soon. They re-up'd Schaub, he's here for a long time. And the Colts? Yeah, they made their own luck with getting Luck. It sucks.
Hey, the pats just crapped the bed!!!
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #143
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm seeing Denver vs. Houston in the AFCCG IN HOUSTON!!!! Let's see how well the "Forehead" does in our house!! Reliant Stadium will be rocking like a Metallica concert on steroids!!!!
Yeah, you probably said the same thing about Aaron Rodgers.
Old 12-16-2012   #144
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Yeah, you probably said the same thing about Aaron Rodgers.
Ya know, I might have.....
Old 12-17-2012   #145
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 9223 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Lots of good debate in this one. I think it's fair to see the glass half anything with the Texans. Yep, they have flaws and make mistakes. Yep, they are 12-2. And so on...

When I see this thread, I immediately think of it as a "focus on the bad" pointed original post, to which the OP is certainly entitled. I can't blindly look at the texans and believe them to be a Juggernaut. If I am to look at this team in a pessimistic in terms of what's ahead, I believe there are 3 major things that stick out to me...

1. It seems all season long, Houston games have a blueprint.
- Maybe it's just me, but Houston seems to consistently open up games on FIRE. Almost embarrassing the opposing teams with their opening drive. Then, they fizzle and have to find a way to hang on for the rest of the game to try and find a way to pull it out in the end.

2. It's no secret, and there can be many reasons/excuses made for this, but in the past month-ish, it's an obvious vulnerability that opposing QB's are having too much success throwing on our secondary. I feel INJURY is the MAJOR factor here.

3. Special teams...While special teams have many facets, i think a general statement of mediocrity is being polite, and can be primarily capped in MY mind with concerns that we have to hold our breath when facing a field goal attempt of 40+ yards.

All 3 of these concerns can be wrapped up in a 12-2 blanket to dismiss by saying that those very concerns can be overcome, however

As you look ahead to the playoff, irregardless of seeding, I firmly believe that the those 3 things spell likely letdown when facing the best of the league week after week after week(3rd being potential Superbowl).

Does that mean, throw in the towel?? HELL NO! Give us the number one seed, some health, a good bounce of the ball here and there, and a bit of swagger in the post season, and we have the tools to make something happen!

As of today, we have our best chance in history, as fans to see the Texans make their way to a Superbowl!
Old 12-17-2012   #146
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

We don't have an elite QB. We don't have a clutch QB.

What we do have, is a QB who has shown a certain level of mastery to run this system. With that said, I can not explain how we have not been able to convert & score TDs against the Titans (32; 29.7 ppg), Patriots (17; 22.5 ppg), & Colts (24; 25.6 ppg) if we're supposed to have the #3 scoring offense (28.1 ppg).

I like having Newton back. I hope that helps us run the offense we all thought we'd see this year.
Old 12-17-2012   #147
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Only have hope? I've been saying we've got reason to believe...

We got Newton back today. In my opinion, before he went down he was making excellent progress. I haven't studied today's game, but I'm pretty sure our run game & pass protection benefitted from him being there. I think it gets better as his game shape improves.

Graham was also in the game. His presence may have helped the run game as much (maybe more) than Newton.

I think Sharpton & Dobbins is our best combination at ILB. If we stop putting Bradie James in there & let those two play, I think that position will improve over the next few weeks. Even if they go with James, I thin the ILB position will get better if we don't have to change them every week like we've had to because of injury.

I like Brandon Harris. Even though they throw a lot of flags at him, I think he's costed us less yards than McCain has. Brandon Harris just finished playing in his 3rd game. He's going to get better with time.

Merci has also just finished his 3rd game. He's been more productive in those 3 games than both Brooks & Barwin has the whole season. He's going to get better with time.

Brooks will be back. This will help us with our outside rotation.

Jjo had a much better game today than he did last week. Maybe because of the level of competition. Hopefully he is getting healthier.

Can these guys get Super Bowl ready by the time we play our first play-off game 4 weeks from now? Maybe not. But I think they can get real close 7 weeks from now.

We shouldn't be trying to figure out our starting line-up this late in the season. But we didn't have a choice. Now we are closer to the starting line-up we had to start the season than we've ever been. I know they'll get better.

Tried to rep you but I have to spread it around...

I think it still all boils down to hope, but at least you have reasons that you think we will improve. And at least you admit that the way they've played has not been good enough.

We can win a superbowl this year. But we will either need to step our game up in multiple areas, or we will have to just have a bunch of breaks go our way. I'd rather we take the bull by the horns though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #148
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Tried to rep you but I have to spread it around...

I think it still all boils down to hope, but at least you have reasons that you think we will improve. And at least you admit that the way they've played has not been good enough.

We can win a superbowl this year. But we will either need to step our game up in multiple areas, or we will have to just have a bunch of breaks go our way. I'd rather we take the bull by the horns though.
Breaks?

There are usually breaks.

When two teams that are close in level of talents meet, usually the one that can capitalize on those breaks win.

The Niners had some breaks going their way; they didn't fully capitalize on them the way the Packers and the Pats capitalized against us; otherwise that game would have been a run away.

The Packs capitalized fully on our two critical unforced errors (Barwin and Posey).

The Pats capitalized on our lack of preparation when we don't have guys out there quickly enough on coverage. Wade had dueled with BB of time.
We didn't capitalized on their fumbles.
We had guys with sure hands dropping catches.

Yeah, I would say you can use some breaks against a good team, and you have to minimize your mistakes.

When you do neither, it gets ugly.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #149
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
True, but what team hasn't said that? I'm sure the Patriots would have appreciated a few breaks in last year's Super Bowl, even though I bet there are many people who thought they got plenty during that game.

& yes, I see many reasons to make me believe our best football is ahead of us, this season. But I also see a lot to be happy about now. We haven't been playing our best football, far from it & these guys refuse to lose. This game (as you know) is 60% mental.

We've seen that isn't good enough against the Packers or the Patriots. But once our talent level gets back up (& right now, with Jjo, Newton, & Graham back, waiting on Brooks) I think it's as good as it's going to get.
Old 12-23-2012   #150
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

So I am still looking for signs that they'll play their best football in the playoffs and be capable of beating a team like the Pats in the playoffs. Today's performance just reinforced the signs we've all seen the past several weeks. Or, in other words, this team is in trouble, at least as it pertains to the playoffs.
Old 12-23-2012   #151
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So I am still looking for signs that they'll play their best football in the playoffs and be capable of beating a team like the Pats in the playoffs. Today's performance just reinforced the signs we've all seen the past several weeks. Or, in other words, this team is in trouble, at least as it pertains to the playoffs.
So are the Pats with Brady throwing 2 INTs, allowing the lowly Jags to go ahead early and nearly came back.
Old 12-23-2012   #152
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
So are the Pats with Brady throwing 2 INTs, allowing the lowly Jags to go ahead early and nearly came back.
Pattern recognition - work on it. There's a difference between "Any Given Sunday" and "Every Damn Sunday Since the BAL Game".
Old 12-23-2012   #153
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Welcome to reality everyone
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #154
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Pattern recognition - work on it. There's a difference between "Any Given Sunday" and "Every Damn Sunday Since the BAL Game".
Yeah, except the Pats don't have any consistency of late either.

Even their fans didn't like how the Dolphins hang around.
And what's with the Niners game, and today's game.

Nobody has a hot hand in the AFC, not even the Broncos.

I've already said they got some lucky bounces of late; otherwise, they wouldn't smell all this good, LOL!
Old 12-23-2012   #155
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Yeah, except the Pats don't have any consistency of late either.
The Texans actually do have consistency lately.
Old 12-23-2012   #156
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Like the Broncos with Holliday fumbling in each of the last two games ?

Luckily, they didn't lose neither.
Imagine if the cat is still here, LOL!
Old 12-23-2012   #157
qqert
Veteran

Rep Power: 5057 qqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respectedqqert is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yah consistently putrid offense.
Old 12-23-2012   #158
76Texan
Hall of Fame

And the Texans haven't been all that "consistent" like you were mocking.
They managed to win the division by a healthy score =P
Old 12-23-2012   #159
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqert View Post
yah consistently putrid offense.
Just like I predicted; even the win against the Colts won't be enough.

Tell me, genius, what was your expectation before the season starts?
Old 12-23-2012   #160
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 13195 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

They got "cute" when their official twitter asked what kind of touchdown dance did we want Arian Foster to do.

Seriously. These are not the questions a serious team asks.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read