Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-10-2012   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41467 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default RG3 had better Cool It

LANDOVER, Md. -- The Washington Redskins became relevant again that moment in early March when they swung the blockbuster trade for the St. Louis Rams' No. 2 draft pick, making the Heisman-winning Robert Griffin III a dream come true in burgundy.
Not even Griffin's heart-stopping knee injury on Washington's game-tying drive late in the final two minutes could dispel the Redskins' mojo on this day. The spectacular rookie quarterback left the game for a play after being plowed into by Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, perhaps hyperextending Griffin's right knee, but then heroically re-entered for four plays before giving way for good to fellow Redskins rookie quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2EfGroVhQ
To me he's the most exciting new player in the NFL since Micahel Vick. And I mean the young Michael Vick in his athletic prime with the Falcons 10 years ago. But this kid is going to get hurt, hurt bad if he doesn't tone down his act a bit. He can still be great without being reckless.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: RG3 had better Cool It

He's a fun, dynamic player to watch, and the fact that he plays on one of the Cowboys' division rivals makes it easy for me to root for him.

But, I think his style of play is going to ultimately hurt his career. Dude has a solid arm, though, so he could be coached up to rely on his passing game and use the run when needed as last resort. Right now, it seems they are scheming to use his running abilities as a primary weapon, and that's just asking for long-term trouble when the inevitable injuries add up.
Old 12-10-2012   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
He's a fun, dynamic player to watch, and the fact that he plays on one of the Cowboys' division rivals makes it easy for me to root for him.

But, I think his style of play is going to ultimately hurt his career. Dude has a solid arm, though, so he could be coached up to rely on his passing game and use the run when needed as last resort. Right now, it seems they are scheming to use his running abilities as a primary weapon, and that's just asking for long-term trouble when the inevitable injuries add up.
I think at this stage of the game, that's what they need to do, to make him successful. Last night, that play was to tie the game & they would have still needed a two point conversion to force overtime.

I think they are going about it the right way, I'm sure Shanahan & shanahan are in his ear all day Monday about what should have been done on every snap, including when he should have just thrown it away.

He's definitely going to have to change his approach in the future, he's too good behind the LOS to have him keep doing that. But it's a process.
Old 12-10-2012   #4
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Now only is RG3 a great athlete, but the dude is BRILLIANT! He's not a dumb athlete playing QB--ala Michael Vick. The dude has his law degree.

But I agree that somebody needs to teach him to slide occasionally. Would love to see a long career outta RG3, and at this rate he's gonna wear himself down or break himself apart.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
Now only is RG3 a great athlete, but the dude is BRILLIANT! He's not a dumb athlete playing QB--ala Michael Vick. The dude has his law degree.
He does not have a JD. He got a BA in political science in 3 years and was doing coursework for a masters in communication his last year. Not taking away from your point that he is smart, just a correction.
Old 12-10-2012   #6
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21296 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He does not have a JD. He got a BA in political science in 3 years and was doing coursework for a masters in communication his last year. Not taking away from your point that he is smart, just a correction.
You know cak, after I posted it I began thinking about what I'd heard from my sister-in-law about that very thing. She's a BU alumn.

I stand corrected. Thank ya sir.

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #7
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 24997 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
To me he's the most exciting new player in the NFL since Micahel Vick. And I mean the young Michael Vick in his athletic prime with the Falcons 10 years ago. But this kid is going to get hurt, hurt bad if he doesn't tone down his act a bit. He can still be great without being reckless.
He really is. He's a well-spoken, humble guy, and it's difficult to root against him (unless you're a Cowboys fan). He's a dynamic athlete who doesn't have to use his legs to compensate for his lack of arm. Rather, his speed is just a complement to his arm.
Old 12-12-2012   #8
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98826 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue View Post
You know cak, after I posted it I began thinking about what I'd heard from my sister-in-law about that very thing. She's a BU alumn.

I stand corrected. Thank ya sir.
Actually, you have a hint of truth in there. He did want to go on to study law but declared for the NFL instead. Proves both y'alls points - smart guy.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012   #9
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am so happy he is in the NFC
Old 12-12-2012   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a lot to lilke about the young man. But please slide, get out of bounds, and throw it away when you need to, stop taking these hits from 350 lb lineman.
Old 12-12-2012   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25491 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
There's a lot to lilke about the young man. But please slide, get out of bounds, and throw it away when you need to, stop taking these hits from 350 lb lineman.
^^^^This^^^^

I love watching him play and he seems like a really good guy but he'd better learn quick before someone hurts him seriously.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #12
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

This proves you are right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZUq6N7Gx1c

He does need to cool it now.

He will not last long taking those kind of hits.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #13
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

To date, no running QB has had a productive career in the NFL. RG3 is the best pocket passer of any mobile QB, but he needs to sit in the pocket and let his talent as a passer dictate his career
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
To date, no running QB has had a productive career in the NFL. RG3 is the best pocket passer of any mobile QB, but he needs to sit in the pocket and let his talent as a passer dictate his career
I would say you are 90% correct. I guess the best distinction is running QB v. scrambling QB. There have been lots of very successful scrambling QB's - Rodger the Dodger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young. All were accomplished passers who resorted to running rather than running QB's.
Old 12-16-2012   #15
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 810 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish they would quit running those read options with him. They have an animal in the backfield dishing out punishment on lbs and dbs. Rg3 can play at a high level from the pocket and scramble when needed. He is a great scrambler which gets him more rushing yards than that stupid read option play.

On a separate note he might be faster than Vick was. Have you seen how long it takes him to slow down when he is forced out of bounds?
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I would say you are 90% correct. I guess the best distinction is running QB v. scrambling QB. There have been lots of very successful scrambling QB's - Rodger the Dodger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young. All were accomplished passers who resorted to running rather than running QB's.
John Elway, Randal Cunningham
Old 12-18-2012   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41467 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Robert Griffin III is not only impressing on the field, he's also making an impression off it. The Washington Redskins rookie quarterback's No. 10 jersey has sold more than any other player's in a single season since the NFL started keeping track six years ago, league spokeswoman Joanna Hunter told ESPN.com.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...-single-season
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read