Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2012   #121
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post

New England - lost to Arizona, barely beat buffalo 37-31, barely beat miami 23-16

San Francisco - WIDELY CONSIDERED THE BEST IN THE NFC - lost to Minnesota, lost to St. Louis, TIED St. Louis

Broncos - lost to 3 playoff teams (Houston, Atlanta, and NE)

Ravens - lost to Philly, lost to Washington, got smoked by us, barely beat Kansas City 9-6, barely beat San Diego 13-10 in OT

Green Bay - lost to INDY, got emabarassed by NYG 38-10

Atlanta - lost to Carolina, barely beat Arizona 23-19, barely beat Carolina 30-28 ***Id also like to point out that Atlanta has the easiest schedule in the NFL based on opponents winning %***
This is a prime example of missing the point.

Did you watch all of those games? Do you know how or why those teams lost?

Did you have a bad team stepping up and playing big...

Did you have some fluke plays?

Did the better team come out and play bad?

Were there singular individuals that failed to make plays thus causing the loss?

The point is that despite our record, this team overall has shown some major warts.

I'm happy we are 12-2. I'm not happy with the way we've been playing when it pertains to our superbowl aspirations.

Why is it so hard to distinguish the two?

You can get a win playing lime shyt. Just as long as the other team is worse.

Conversely, you can get a loss playing really well overall. Just as long as the other team is playing at an even higher level.

If someone can't understand that simple concept, then I don't know what to say to you.

If the texans are going to win a superbowl they are going to have to play better than they have been. Offensively and defensively. I don't give a fucc what their record is. They need to play better.

If they go into the play offs playing like they have been, they'll get beat and maybe embarrassed again.

It's really that simple.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #122
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I was one of those who said the Colts weren't good. I said they would help us beat them & they did.

However, I'm also saying this team is flawed, but I think every team is flawed.
You know what some of those other teams have that we don't?

Qb's that are good enough to cover their mistakes. Coaches that are overall better gameday managers than kubiak. Teams that have been to the top and knows what it takes.

We have played the same way for a while now. Biggest difference is the quality if opponents we've faced.

You have already pretty much acknowledged that you only have hope. You hope well play better in the play offs because others have.

That's fine. We all have hope.

But that's not going to stop us from also talking about the actual problems with the team right now.
Old 12-16-2012   #123
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This team's in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
That made me look this up.

2013 Regular Season

Home
Denver Broncos
Oakland Raiders
Arizona Cardinals
St. Louis Rams
AFC East Same Place Finisher New England
Indianapolis Colts (Div.)
Jacksonville Jaguars (Div.)
Tennessee Titans (Div.)

Away
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks
AFC North Same Place Finisher Baltimore again if they hang on
Indianapolis Colts (Div.)
Jacksonville Jaguars (Div.)
Tennessee Titans (Div.)
Does this mean its already time to start predicting next season's record? 16-0!!!
Old 12-16-2012   #124
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm gonna hold my judgement until the season is over. I can't decide if the chicken came before the egg with the offense in general and QB play in particular. Schaub isn't the most atheletic QB, so is he under orders to take a sack or throw the ball away instead of running or being more "creative" under pressure? Is Schaub actually more atheletic than he seems and Kubiak is restaraining him from running more or being more "creative"?

I can easily see Yates or Keenum being given more freedom to improvise when I see how discombobulated Schaub looks when under pressure. That's the biggest difference I see on offense.

On defense, IMO, it's all about the lack of consistent pass rush if Watt gets stopped. Barwin and Reed/ Merciless have been inconsistent, at best, and downright awful at worst. I really like the idea of Reed as an ILB and think Merci will be much better next year. He has the motor, just needs the experience. I also really think Harris will be a force next year. Fix the pass rush and the secondary will miraculously get better again, just like last season.

BTW, we're 12-2 playing a 1st place schedule. You can only play the teams on the schedule.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #125
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

we've got holes, there's no team that doesnt. however what helps me sleep at night is the realization that we've beaten everyone but the patriots. between this season and last (for the teams not on our '12 schedule), we've beaten all but 1 team we could face on the AFC side. ravens, steelers, jets, broncos, colts, bengals ... all wins. we dont match up well against the packers and patriots, few do, but that doesnt mean we cant win against them as well. what we KNOW is that anyone else coming into our house for the playoffs is going to be the underdog because we've shown we can beat them.
Old 12-16-2012   #126
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
We are Atlanta (afc version)
No sir, we have more playoff wins than they do.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #127
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
This is a prime example of missing the point.

Did you watch all of those games? Do you know how or why those teams lost?

Did you have a bad team stepping up and playing big...

Did you have some fluke plays?

Did the better team come out and play bad?

Were there singular individuals that failed to make plays thus causing the loss?

The point is that despite our record, this team overall has shown some major warts.

I'm happy we are 12-2. I'm not happy with the way we've been playing when it pertains to our superbowl aspirations.

Why is it so hard to distinguish the two?

You can get a win playing lime shyt. Just as long as the other team is worse.

Conversely, you can get a loss playing really well overall. Just as long as the other team is playing at an even higher level.

If someone can't understand that simple concept, then I don't know what to say to you.

If the texans are going to win a superbowl they are going to have to play better than they have been. Offensively and defensively. I don't give a fucc what their record is. They need to play better.

If they go into the play offs playing like they have been, they'll get beat and maybe embarrassed again.

It's really that simple.
I agree, it is that simple. But if the prevailing thought around here is that it's Kubiak's playcalling that's the biggest problem . . . then there is really no foundation to conduct a reasonable discussion.

Until it's ever agreed upon that the so-called "turtle" playcalling is actually smart playcalling, it is pointless.

Last edited by Marcus; 12-16-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #128
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

With all the pissing and moaning going on you would think we are 2-12

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #129
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

OMG are we 12-2 are 2-12. Why all the bitching, Yes Kubiak better get his **** together before the play-offs, but we are still 12-2, we would of all killed to be here a few seasons ago.

My god we were killing teams to start the season, then we went into a funk and were still managing wins. We will hit our stride again and i think today was the start of that, perfect timing if i might so so.

But if your looking for a losing team to ***** about then this might not be the team for you anymore.
Old 12-16-2012   #130
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
A double digit victory over a playoff team is struggling and hanging on for dear life?

Crack. Smoke less of it.
Or much more!The Dude Abides!
Old 12-16-2012   #131
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
You have already pretty much acknowledged that you only have hope. You hope well play better in the play offs because others have.
Only have hope? I've been saying we've got reason to believe...

We got Newton back today. In my opinion, before he went down he was making excellent progress. I haven't studied today's game, but I'm pretty sure our run game & pass protection benefitted from him being there. I think it gets better as his game shape improves.

Graham was also in the game. His presence may have helped the run game as much (maybe more) than Newton.

I think Sharpton & Dobbins is our best combination at ILB. If we stop putting Bradie James in there & let those two play, I think that position will improve over the next few weeks. Even if they go with James, I thin the ILB position will get better if we don't have to change them every week like we've had to because of injury.

I like Brandon Harris. Even though they throw a lot of flags at him, I think he's costed us less yards than McCain has. Brandon Harris just finished playing in his 3rd game. He's going to get better with time.

Merci has also just finished his 3rd game. He's been more productive in those 3 games than both Brooks & Barwin has the whole season. He's going to get better with time.

Brooks will be back. This will help us with our outside rotation.

Jjo had a much better game today than he did last week. Maybe because of the level of competition. Hopefully he is getting healthier.

Can these guys get Super Bowl ready by the time we play our first play-off game 4 weeks from now? Maybe not. But I think they can get real close 7 weeks from now.

We shouldn't be trying to figure out our starting line-up this late in the season. But we didn't have a choice. Now we are closer to the starting line-up we had to start the season than we've ever been. I know they'll get better.
Old 12-16-2012   #132
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I agree, it is that simple. But if the prevailing though around here is that it's Kubiak's playcalling that's the biggest problem . . . then there is really no foundation to conduct a reasonable discussion.

Until it's ever agreed upon that the so-called "turtle" playcalling is actually smart playcalling, it is pointless.
I'm not going to complain too much about his play calling. I'd like him to do some things different, but whatever.

I'm more concerned with how we play than I am about the plays being called.
Old 12-16-2012   #133
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I agree, it is that simple. But if the prevailing though around here is that it's Kubiak's playcalling that's the biggest problem . . . then there is really no foundation to conduct a reasonable discussion.

Sometimes the "turtle is smart playcalling. Other times, ya gotta make them say "where the hell did that come from???" Be "turtle" 99% of the time, but keep them guessing a little bit. I've seen several instances this season where a fake punt would have been golden. Is Kubiak saving all of those for the post season so there isn't film on it? Those plays are like timeouts. They are useless if not used.
Old 12-16-2012   #134
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Sometimes the "turtle is smart playcalling. Other times, ya gotta make them say "where the hell did that come from???" Be "turtle" 99% of the time, but keep them guessing a little bit.
I guarantee you if we could get our running game going you'd see some of that during turtle mode.
Old 12-16-2012   #135
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
OMG are we 12-2 are 2-12. Why all the bitching, Yes Kubiak better get his **** together before the play-offs, but we are still 12-2, we would of all killed to be here a few seasons ago.
I'd have loved to have been 12-2 last season. If we had homefield last year.....

Super Bowl.
Old 12-16-2012   #136
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I guarantee you if we could get our running game going you'd see some of that during turtle mode.
I wouldn't say that. If we get our running game going, you're going to see ultra turtle.
Old 12-16-2012   #137
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Baltimore and New England are "in trouble" too right?

dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #138
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd have loved to have been 12-2 last season. If we had homefield last year.....

Super Bowl.
My thing is everyone seems so down on Schaub, but i think we win in Baltimore last season with Schaub.
Old 12-16-2012   #139
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Baltimore and New England are "in trouble" too right?

I'm seeing Denver vs. Houston in the AFCCG IN HOUSTON!!!! Let's see how well the "Forehead" does in our house!! Reliant Stadium will be rocking like a Metallica concert on steroids!!!!
Old 12-16-2012   #140
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm seeing Denver vs. Houston in the AFCCG IN HOUSTON!!!! Let's see how well the "Forehead" does in our house!! Reliant Stadium will be rocking like a Metallica concert on steroids!!!!
I'd much rather play New England or Baltimore. Denver's D is pretty good. It'll be difficult keeping our offense on the field. If we get the Pats that are playing tonight, I think we've got a chance.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read