Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2012   #101
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This team's in trouble

We are Atlanta (afc version)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #102
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Case Keenum!

I told y'all that Wilson is a very good QB, that has turned out to be true.
Don't just measure a guy by his size.

I also said that Cousins is a good one that a team can groom.
He's doing pretty good today.
I don't see it in Case.

One thing in his favor, though: He's the 3rd man and that is ALWAYS a good position for a player of his potential to find himself in. Now stress, gets to watch and learn, is around a GOOD team in many aspects of the game.
Old 12-16-2012   #103
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 296273 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I don't see it in Case.

One thing in his favor, though: He's the 3rd man and that is ALWAYS a good position for a player of his potential to find himself in. Now stress, gets to watch and learn, is around a GOOD team in many aspects of the game.
Keenum's got a good arm, but whether or not that translates from college to the NFL is still to be seen. The potential is certainly there though, and he's on the right team to learn.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #104
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
We are Atlanta (afc version)
Atlanta is where we should have been back in 2009. I think they are slightly better (now at least). They destroyed the Giants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Until you bring home the big trophy, there will always be doubt. It works that way for every team. Most especially for those that have never been to the show.
True, but if this team had at least remained competitive against the Patriots, and only lost by a score or less, then I would still be thinking they are the best. But the only two elite QBs on the schedule absolutely destroyed this team (Peyton wasn't back yet when the Texans played him). The MNF loss still stings and casts a dark cloud over this team, imo.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #105
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 811 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes people told me I was crazy when I valued Wilson over Luck. If you saw the way Wilson played at NC st. you would understand why I was so high on him. He was beating teams he had no business beating. Then he transferred to a more talented Wisconsin team and posted a 191 rating.

Luck strikes me as a player that will improve some, but he is a qb/coaches son, and was ready for the NFL at least 2 years ago. He played in an NFL system under Harbaugh so I don't think his ceiling is too much higher. I think he will improve on his turnovers which will keep him in the top 10 qbs every year. These qb's coming into the league lately are just more NFL ready than qbs of the past. The colts playoff run this year has been super flukey, but he does have that clutch factor going.
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #106
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80234 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is in trouble
Old 12-16-2012   #107
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Not true. If they would have come out today and played like they did against BAL earlier in the season, I think a lot of people, myself included, would have their postseason concerns lessened. They did not do that. You're right that they won without their best game, and that is good. So they're winning the games they should win. But can they win the games they need to win? I see no signs that lead to that conclusion.
I think it is true. How will beating Ind by 50 prove we can beat New England. We don't know we can beat New England until we beat New England
Old 12-16-2012   #108
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson80 View Post
Yes people told me I was crazy when I valued Wilson over Luck. If you saw the way Wilson played at NC st. you would understand why I was so high on him. He was beating teams he had no business beating. Then he transferred to a more talented Wisconsin team and posted a 191 rating.

Luck strikes me as a player that will improve some, but he is a qb/coaches son, and was ready for the NFL at least 2 years ago. He played in an NFL system under Harbaugh so I don't think his ceiling is too much higher. I think he will improve on his turnovers which will keep him in the top 10 qbs every year. These qb's coming into the league lately are just more NFL ready than qbs of the past. The colts playoff run this year has been super flukey, but he does have that clutch factor going.
I never thought much of luck but have bought into the hype since didn't watch him this season till today. He is not very accurate which is a tough thing to learn at this stage. Indy also has to be careful that he doesn't get hit too often and get Carr syndrome

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #109
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Eriadoc:

There's just no long-term thinking in the sports fandom world anymore.

It's all about what happened NOW.

That's why the majority of people on here are jeering and laughing and being sarcastic *******s with every comment. Because we're losers if we're not happy with what happened NOW. I mean, we just won! Can't you see how things are lining up???

Sometimes I think the ones who are happy with NOW must not have been around for the old Oilers games of the 1990s--The "good" teams that choked when they played outside of the dome. I wonder if they were around for all of Kubiak's tenure here...if so, then they'd wonder NOW how he could have grown absolutely ZERO inches in that whole span here as it relates to getting a team to where the throttle is at full blast and stays that way for 4 quarters.

To me, the most saddening aspect of this team is what happens when the defense comes up with a miracle stop...our offense starts within our own 10-yard-line, and we go 3 & out and make the defense go right back out there again and are asked to stop the opposing offense...AGAIN. Every once in awhile it's a fluke, but it's been an epidemic all season this year.

OK, so it does work against the poorer teams. It doesn't work against the better teams. As we have seen TWICE this season.

The NOW is fun, for NOW. The Super Bowl is not NOW. It's four games away IF we win out and get some good fortune in the playoffs.

I care about a SB, and yes this team has positioned itself to deliver it to us. But can they? It would be storybook, for sure. I just can't sit here and say that the NOW is a foretelling of a SB victory. Sure, yes, it feels good...NOW...but I was old enough to remember us being two quarters away from a SB appearance with the Oilers. With Houston pro sports teams, there's ample reason for this guarded attitude. It's not silly, it's far more silly to be crazily carefree right now.
Just because we are celebrating a win and not worrying about Brady and Manning 30 min's after we clinch the division doesn't mean we are short sited. I choose to judge Kubiak after the year and not worry about it after a win.
Old 12-16-2012   #110
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I still don't get the obsession with Andrew Luck. I think he's gonna be a GOOD qb in this league for a long time,
I don't know if that's even true. He's talented, no doubt about that. But it takes more than talent to win in this league. With every body telling him how good he is, who knows how he handles that.

This year, our SOS was weak compared to what it's been in the past. We have the best record the Texans have ever had, no one expected us to be 12-2..... yes, I think a weak SOS plays into that.

It also plays into the Colts season. With everyone telling Luck their season is because of him, it might go to his head. If they don't have such a good season next season, no one is going to say it's because their QB threw 18 INTs & fumbled the ball 5 times. It's everyone else's fault.

If he gets into that kinda thiking, he's going to be the next Rivers, Flacco, or Sanchez.
Old 12-16-2012   #111
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

He is definitely above sanchez and probably flacco. One problem with pac 12 qbs is the conference doesnt really play d. I think luck is talented but he has not shown me he will be great... Yet

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #112
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I think Denver is the team to beat I the afc. Their defense...
So do I & I've been saying so for at least a few weeks now.
Old 12-16-2012   #113
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I care about a SB, and yes this team has positioned itself to deliver it to us. But can they? It would be storybook, for sure. I just can't sit here and say that the NOW is a foretelling of a SB victory. Sure, yes, it feels good...NOW...but I was old enough to remember us being two quarters away from a SB appearance with the Oilers. With Houston pro sports teams, there's ample reason for this guarded attitude. It's not silly, it's far more silly to be crazily carefree right now.
I understand what you're saying. But, if what you say is true & we have no shot against a good team, what is it exactly are you expecting us to do?

Admit we've got problems on defense?
I've done that. I would think most everyone has.
Admit we've got a problem at head coach?
I won't speak for everyone on this issue. It's complicated. I will admit I don't understand every play call. I don't know that I agree with his game plans. However, for all I know, if he didn't call that draw, 3rd & goal from the 13, that could have resulted in a turnover & swing the mo for the Colts. I've seen this team in that situation before & we make that mistake & it snowballs the wrong way.

Should he trust his team & let it all hang out? I don't know. 2010, I criticized him for not having a handle on his team, not slowing it down & getting them grounded, and focused.

I'd rather he calls a time out & give them a pep talk, but if this is the way he decides to do it...... you know, as long as it works & we win.
Give up all hope that we're going to win the Super Bowl?
Honestly, right now I'm not even thinking about the Super Bowl, like you said, I'm worried about now. The Division wasn't guaranteed until today. That's what is so exciting about today. We won our division today, clinched it against the Colts (you gotta love that) at home.

Next week, we've got to win to stay ahead of the Patriots for HFT. If we win next week, I'll be happy that we didn't lose ground. We'll have to win the next week to secure HFT.

When the play-offs start hopefully I'll be able to relax, enjoy watching the competition duke it out. I'm not going to worry about having to play New England again, until I know we have to play New England again. I'm not going to worry about playing Denver, until I know we have to play Denver.

In the meantime I hope our coaches do what they need to do to make sure they've got the best possible team they can ready to play. I'm going to hope the players do their best to make sure they are as prepared as they can be.

If Newton, Jones, Myers, Smith, Brown, Casey, Graham, Daniels, Andre, Walter, Foster, Tate, Schaub, Manning, Quin, Joseph, Jackson, Harris, Dobbins, Sharpton, Rudd, Barwin, Whitney, Brooks, Cody, Antonio, Watt, & Crick, are ready to play the best football they've ever played, I still like the Texans chances against any team out there.
Old 12-16-2012   #114
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
The colts playoff run this year has been super flukey, but he does have that clutch factor going.
Strange. He hasn't been in the league for a full season yet, but I bet if you asked 100 people if Luck was "clutch" more than half of them would say yes, without a doubt.

If you were to ask 100 people that same question about Schaub, I doubt you could find 50 that would say yes, without a doubt.

Not that that would prove anything. But, I think it's curious.

Luck hasn't been in any play-off games. Luck hasn't been in any important games.

interesting.
Old 12-16-2012   #115
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 296273 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
This year, our SOS was weak compared to what it's been in the past. We have the best record the Texans have ever had, no one expected us to be 12-2..... yes, I think a weak SOS plays into that.
That made me look this up.

2013 Regular Season

Home
Denver Broncos
Oakland Raiders
Arizona Cardinals
St. Louis Rams
AFC East Same Place Finisher New England
Indianapolis Colts (Div.)
Jacksonville Jaguars (Div.)
Tennessee Titans (Div.)

Away
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks
AFC North Same Place Finisher Baltimore again if they hang on
Indianapolis Colts (Div.)
Jacksonville Jaguars (Div.)
Tennessee Titans (Div.)

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #116
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't complain on SOS winning record hurts that plus we played a first place schedule when it was made
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #117
ajohnson80
Veteran

Rep Power: 811 ajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respectedajohnson80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Strange. He hasn't been in the league for a full season yet, but I bet if you asked 100 people if Luck was "clutch" more than half of them would say yes, without a doubt.

If you were to ask 100 people that same question about Schaub, I doubt you could find 50 that would say yes, without a doubt.

Not that that would prove anything. But, I think it's curious.

Luck hasn't been in any play-off games. Luck hasn't been in any important games.

interesting.
Well he does have I believe 6 4th quarter comebacks, so he is getting a reputation for coming through in the clutch. I agree he hasn't really earned that title and he has a TON of hype to live up to. Especially since they dropped the best regular season qb of all time and invested their future in him. It may not be fair to compare him to Manning, but thats the boat he's in.
ajohnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #118
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well he does have I believe 6 4th quarter comebacks, so he is getting a reputation for coming through in the clutch. I agree he hasn't really earned that title and he has a TON of hype to live up to. Especially since they dropped the best regular season qb of all time and invested their future in him. It may not be fair to compare him to Manning, but thats the boat he's in.
If he is so good he wouldnt need to come back that many times, just saying
Old 12-16-2012   #119
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243454 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
If he is so good he wouldnt need to come back that many times, just saying
He has perpetually created those situations from which he has had to come back.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #120
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He has perpetually created those situations from which he has had to come back.
haha yeah with 18 picks and 5 fumbles you know he did.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read