Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2012   #61
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6349 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This team's in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
That's awesome.

The Packers and the Patriots didn't give two ****s about our record.

That reg season record isn't a force field, it's not an invisibility cloak. This Texans team is flawed at the HC position, and I'm frankly just tired of knowing it and thinking wins and our record is somehow proof that we can handle the elite teams.

I do think IF we get HFA, we have a chance. A chance.

Anybody else who thinks today's clinch = Super Bowl...well, fine. Have fun with that.
Straw man arguments are fun!
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #62
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
They bounced back and won just as AJ "promised".
If that's all it took to convince you that last week was not a fluke, then you have no objectivity anyway. But we already knew that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The way I see it (or would like to see it) is we win out, getting home field advantage. In our first game we'll play the winner of the Baltimore/whoever wild card game. We'll win that one.

Then either New England or Denver comes to town. That one is going to be hell, but since it's at home, it's more winnable that either going to Denver or New England and playing there. I feel pretty confident about making it to the AFC championship game. Getting past Manning to Brady to make it to the Super Bowl is another question.
That's the answer to "how do we cope with that beatdown?", but it doesn't at all answer the question I posed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Nope but each matchup is different.

With that said I don't think the pats are THAT much better.

I guess the pats and colts game was a flick too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
This is how I picture some of you.
Still no answers to a pretty simple question.
Old 12-16-2012   #63
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
We're all happy for 12-2. That doesn't stop some of us from analyzing what we see as problems with the team. So here's an open question to the Sunshine Club:

What did the Texans do today to convince you that the Patriots game was a fluke?
When your 12 and 2 it's called the Reality Club.
Old 12-16-2012   #64
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
When your 12 and 2 it's called the Reality Club.
OK fine. The team is 12-2. That's reality. The team got its ass kicked up and down the field to the only two great teams they've faced all season. What did the Texans do today to convince you that last week was a fluke?

I'm beginning to think y'all just don't want to type out the actual answer.
Old 12-16-2012   #65
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If that's all it took to convince you that last week was not a fluke, then you have no objectivity anyway. But we already knew that.

That's the answer to "how do we cope with that beatdown?", but it doesn't at all answer the question I posed.

Still no answers to a pretty simple question.
I have a feeling no answer would convince you otherwise .carry on with the pitch forks
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #66
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I have a feeling no answer would convince you otherwise.
Try me. If today's performance convinced you that last week was a fluke, I want to hear why. I am sincerely asking you a question here. Sure, I have my opinion, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to discussion. In fact, I seem to be the only one actually TRYING to discuss it. Everyone else is throwing barbs and dodging the question.
Old 12-16-2012   #67
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
You see what Denver did at Baltimore plus we already seen what Brady and the boys got. Not about record its about playoffs versus the best
Did we lose to either of those teams?

Why does it matter what Denver did to Baltimore? When we played Baltimore they actually had their key players...

Did you see what the Falcons did to the Giants btw?
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #68
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6349 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, nobody who is happy with the team being 12-2 can face the reality that the Texans aren't as good as the Packers and Patriots. That's it. You really opened up everybody's eyes around here. Man, Bob McNair ought to hire you right away!
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #69
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK fine. The team is 12-2. That's reality. The team got its ass kicked up and down the field to the only two great teams they've faced all season. What did the Texans do today to convince you that last week was a fluke?

What is there to say? This is a very good football team with a chance to make a run in the playoffs. There are flaws a-plenty, but every team has flaws.

Does it really make sense to see so much negativity on this board when we are in the position we are?
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #70
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I hate to say it but I also think the Texans were fortunate to get Denver early in the season before they really started firing on all cylinders and looking like an elite team.

Still, 12-2 is 12-2. What I will say based on my observation so far this season is that this doesn't look like a team built to come from behind.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #71
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

We are second in the league in scoring. I think some are too busy concentrating on the madden effect where one can score 50 points a game and in reality this team is scoring.

The problem with the Texans in my eyes are if ey get down early. They quit with what they have to do when they win.. Running the ball and ball control is what thins offense is about.
Old 12-16-2012   #72
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The way I see it (or would like to see it) is we win out, getting home field advantage. In our first game we'll play the winner of the Baltimore/whoever wild card game. We'll win that one.

Then either New England or Denver comes to town. That one is going to be hell, but since it's at home, it's more winnable that either going to Denver or New England and playing there. I feel pretty confident about making it to the AFC championship game. Getting past Manning to Brady to make it to the Super Bowl is another question.
I am hopeful with you. But there is still a small factor of Adrian Peterson next week against a run D that still has ? marks.........and a need for a win over a team they did not exactly dominate.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #73
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
What is there to say? This is a very good football team with a chance to make a run in the playoffs. There are flaws a-plenty, but every team has flaws.

Does it really make sense to see so much negativity on this board when we are in the position we are?
Every team has flaws. Exactly. The cap ensures that you can't build the perfect team.

Texans are 12-2, may actually sweep their division (which is pretty hard to do...) and so far you can say that there are two teams better than them match up wise and one of those teams play in the NFC.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #74
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post

You view it as negative. I don't. I am very happy about 12-2, and I think they'll finish it out 14-2, which is nothing short of awesome. JJ Watt is having a historic season. AJ is back to form. The team won the AFCS for the second year in a row. These are all incredibly positive thigs that I am happy about. Here's the thing - along the way accomplishing these great things, they actually gave me real hope they could win a Super Bowl. Now I want that. Call me greedy.

No one really talks much about the 1998 Vikings or the multiple 12+ win Charger teams, do they? I'm sorry if you see that as negative, but if so, then I'll just say there's a really good chance reality is negative for you. Sorry to hear that.
Old 12-16-2012   #75
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We're all happy for 12-2. That doesn't stop some of us from analyzing what we see as problems with the team. So here's an open question to the Sunshine Club:

What did the Texans do today to convince you that the Patriots game was a fluke?
Nothing. We got outplayed and out coached in every facet of the game.

That doesnt mean we cannot fix what happened and make up for the mistakes over the next coming weeks.

Its ridiculous to think or expect ANY team to keep a constant level of performance throughout the entire season. Every season the best NFL teams flop/lose/under perform to crap teams...EVERY SEASON.

Lets look at this and see how bad this really is. We lost to two super bowl caliber teams (GB and NE). Those were are only two losses.

Lets look at the other "favorite" teams and see some of their questionable games so you can see how closely their season mirrors ours:

New England - lost to Arizona, barely beat buffalo 37-31, barely beat miami 23-16

San Francisco - WIDELY CONSIDERED THE BEST IN THE NFC - lost to Minnesota, lost to St. Louis, TIED St. Louis

Broncos - lost to 3 playoff teams (Houston, Atlanta, and NE)

Ravens - lost to Philly, lost to Washington, got smoked by us, barely beat Kansas City 9-6, barely beat San Diego 13-10 in OT

Green Bay - lost to INDY, got emabarassed by NYG 38-10

Atlanta - lost to Carolina, barely beat Arizona 23-19, barely beat Carolina 30-28 ***Id also like to point out that Atlanta has the easiest schedule in the NFL based on opponents winning %***

I point these things out above not throw out useless stats and numbers but to show that EVERY team goes through these peaks and valleys and that just because we won in OT against two weak teams, that doesnt mean that we are screwed.

I think its fair to say that most fans have short memories and too often have the "what have you done for me lately" attitude.

Lets not forget the big picture ---- we are 12-2 and are in complete control of our own destiny at this point in the season. Adjustments will be made and you will see a different team once the playoffs come around, I truly believe that.

I think the initial post of this thread is a joke.
Old 12-16-2012   #76
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

There is nothing they can do today, tomorrow, next week that can convince anyone that was a fluke. It's a negative question that can not be answered. All we can do is celebrate the division title and hope we can clinch home field. When we are in the playoff's we will find out if that game was a fluke or not.

Our offense did not look crisp today. We all saw it. Our defense played a little better though. Just like every other team we hope to put it all together for a playoff run. We are winning games while not playing our best football. It's a good thing. Time to be happy about your team. We just won the division. If you cant be a little happy today why watch football? You can ***** for the next few weeks until the playoff's and be ready to tell us how you "told us so" or you can enjoy the ride.
Old 12-16-2012   #77
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Nothing. We got outplayed and out coached in every facet of the game.
Well, not every facet. They won the game, so that's the one stat that matters. Aside from that, I agree with you.

Quote:
That doesnt mean we cannot fix what happened and make up for the mistakes over the next coming weeks.
That's the crux of the matter. What signs have we seen that give us reason to think they'll be fixed? I think we're all pinning our hopes on HFA throughout, which is great, but I still see too many tendencies that lead me to believe if a team jumps out to an early lead, Kubiak has no answer.

Quote:
Its ridiculous to think or expect ANY team to keep a constant level of performance throughout the entire season. Every season the best NFL teams flop/lose/under perform to crap teams...EVERY SEASON.
Oh, I agree. I'm just looking for signs, is all.

Quote:
I think the initial post of this thread is a joke.
Ehh, maybe. But I tend to think this team is in trouble if they face off against the Pats or Broncos in the playoffs. And that seems almost inevitable, doesn't it?
Old 12-16-2012   #78
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

At the time, Chicago was supposed to be great. But, we couldn't beat the two best teams on our schedule and got our asses handed to us. I've said it in here before, and I'll say it again now, we are one of the top five teams in the NFL. But we aren't the best team in the NFL. I think we are pretty close to the bottom of the top five.

I'll tell you this, it's a lot more fun arguing about this years Texans than the arguments we used to get in just a few short years ago.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012   #79
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
There is nothing they can do today, tomorrow, next week that can convince anyone that was a fluke.
Not true. If they would have come out today and played like they did against BAL earlier in the season, I think a lot of people, myself included, would have their postseason concerns lessened. They did not do that. You're right that they won without their best game, and that is good. So they're winning the games they should win. But can they win the games they need to win? I see no signs that lead to that conclusion.
Old 12-16-2012   #80
Wolf
100% Texan

Sad part is a thread like this can be a "I told you so" to 31 other teams (well about 20 teams right now in the hunt)and someone will look like a genius.

So hope wade and Kubiak can figure out how to fix some things

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read