Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2012   #101
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WTF is going on with Foster?

On the other hand, I apologize for pressing the matter too much here and there.
Sent a PM to Vinny, too!

I really don't want these discussions to become those in the no-spin zone or like those in political matters.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #102
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Stats are great but last season Foster was a game changer, he could take over a game. He would run through, over and around people on his way to big yardage. This season even when he hits a hole all it takes is one arm to bring him down. Not 2010 and 2011 Foster but this foster just lookes weaker/less inspired. Could it be the big contract has made him quit being so hard on himself ? I dunno but he needs to fix it.
You still did not answer my questions.
Old 12-15-2012   #103
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
You still did not answer my questions.
Oh i agree that the line has went way down and the blocking along with it, BUT i doubt Berry Sanders had an all pro line there in detroit all them years.

Sure the blocking isnt as good but still shouldnt see this big of a drop off IMO.
Old 12-15-2012   #104
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oh i agree that the line has went way down and the blocking along with it, BUT i doubt Berry Sanders had an all pro line there in detroit all them years.

Sure the blocking isnt as good but still shouldnt see this big of a drop off IMO.
So Foster with 6 yards more per game is a beast?
Old 12-15-2012   #105
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So Foster with 6 yards more per game is a beast?
Fosters career still young compared to Sanders.
Old 12-15-2012   #106
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Fosters career still young compared to Sanders.
But I'm not even comparing them.
Old 12-15-2012   #107
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
But I'm not even comparing them.
u missed my whole point, u are blaming the changes on the oline, i think a good back can adjust, so i was curious as to what kind of line sanders had cause the lions sucked his whole career there.
Old 12-15-2012   #108
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Man, if you go back and watch at least the Pats game, and you tell me the line didn't cost him a lot of yards!
Old 12-15-2012   #109
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Man, if you go back and watch at least the Pats game, and you tell me the line didn't cost him a lot of yards!
I agree the line isnt as good as it was, Thats the whole reason i was wondering about sanders o-line. They had to of had a lot of turnover on the line, not to mention they didnt run the Zone blocking scheme.
Old 12-15-2012   #110
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
u missed my whole point, u are blaming the changes on the oline, i think a good back can adjust, so i was curious as to what kind of line sanders had cause the lions sucked his whole career there.
Forget about Sanders, Ok.

You don't even have the freaking tapes to see what happened back then anywAy.
Old 12-15-2012   #111
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Forget about Sanders, Ok.

You don't even have the freaking tapes to see what happened back then anywAy.
Oh lord man my whole point is that good backs find a way regardless.
Old 12-15-2012   #112
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I agree the line isnt as good as it was, Thats the whole reason i was wondering about sanders o-line. They had to of had a lot of turnover on the line, not to mention they didnt run the Zone blocking scheme.
Go to the Pats board and they can tell you what I'm talking about.
Old 12-15-2012   #113
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Go to the Pats board and they can tell you what I'm talking about.
i need to listen to other fans from the opposing board to "understand" what your talking about haha. whatever man
Old 12-15-2012   #114
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/.../barry-sanders

Thats his regular season stats. He was on ALL crappy teams and i seriously doubt they had the best oline all the time hell if any of the time. My whole point is even if your team/oline is struggling good RBs still know how to turn it up and still be successful.
Old 12-15-2012   #115
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
i need to listen to other fans from the opposing board to "understand" what your talking about haha. whatever man
Why they had success about our running game.
They can give another perspective so you don't have to rely on mine.

They tell you about Vince Wilfork, and Ninkovick, and Jones, and their LBs winning the battles in the trench, OK.
Old 12-15-2012   #116
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not a legit comparison. Sanders was a totally different kind of back than Foster. Sanders was a "human joystick" kind of back. He would hit the line and gain one or two yards, maybe even lose some, and then bust off a highlight reel run. NFL Films never shows those 1 and 2 yd runs; just the OMG highlight reel runs.

By contrast, Foster is more of a Marcus Allen type back. He follows his blockers, reads the defensive flow, and makes the best of what he sees with one cut. Hopefully, he'll make the one or two guys who have a decent shot at him miss or out run them.

Its the slipping down when he has a shot to make that last defender miss or outrun the defense that's been driving me crazy.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012   #117
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm starting to follow the logic. even if the line opens lanes, if they're not overall as good as last year, foster wont be as good, that only makes sense. but we're not taking it far enough. the line would be playing better if kubiak had called the exactly correct play each time, obviously. but putting it on kubiak is too easy, the blame has to go to the man who hired kubiak, without whom we'd have a better coach. but why stop there? mcnair wouldnt even be in position to give us such futility if it werent for enron purchasing his energy company, thus we wouldnt be having this problem.

so there you have it, arian foster's problem this year? enron.

or he's having a down year individually.
Old 12-15-2012   #118
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Lions with Sanders were kind of unique. No they were not a dominant OL. But they went to a different set to accommodate Barry's style. They spread wider and trusted Barry to get to the edge or hit a gap.

Funny Barry being brought up in a yards after contact thread since he was not good at that.

I think a lot of what is going on with Foster this year is scheme. I see a lot more power and short stretch plays and I think he thrives in the extreme zone stretch plays. Even when we run those we are not getting as effective back side blocking this season which leaves the back having to follow the flow of the play instead of cutting back against the flow.
Old 12-15-2012   #119
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm starting to follow the logic. even if the line opens lanes, if they're not overall as good as last year, foster wont be as good, that only makes sense. but we're not taking it far enough. the line would be playing better if kubiak had called the exactly correct play each time, obviously. but putting it on kubiak is too easy, the blame has to go to the man who hired kubiak, without whom we'd have a better coach. but why stop there? mcnair wouldnt even be in position to give us such futility if it werent for enron purchasing his energy company, thus we wouldnt be having this problem.

so there you have it, arian foster's problem this year? enron.

or he's having a down year individually.
We're talking about 6 yards per game.

But really, you still refuse to answer the question.

Can the line be responsible for 6 yards?

You're telling me that I'm shifting the blame, I'm not.
I put it squarely on the line.

If you put it on Foster, than you cannot shift it to the line, nor Kubiak.

Are you satisfied with the line play this year, yes or no.
It's as easy as that.
Old 12-15-2012   #120
midway
Veteran

Rep Power: 1490 midway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respectedmidway is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
Foster biggest strength is his ability to be patient behind his blocker. With the right side of the O line being atrocious as they are, his biggest strength has become his biggest weakness.
I couldn't agree with this more and I wish people would recognize how awful the right side of our line is.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read